Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I binged through Twin Peaks in late October and November, and even started a TVIV thread about it. Better late than never, I guess! Then I watched the final season of The Shield, which I never got to see because I didn't have cable for almost two years.

Now my wife and I are tearing through How I Met Your Mother thanks to Netflix, and loving every minute of it. We're already on the last disc of Season 3 after only about two weeks. This is the first show we've ever been able to fully enjoy as a couple. The awkwardness of The Office eventually turned her off, and I never really liked Grey's Anatomy back when we watched it together, but we're totally bonding over watching Marshall and Lily (who remind us a hell of a lot of us).

Next up, I'm hoping to get Glee from Netflix for both of us, but it's already on "Short Wait" status. I'll probably binge through Dexter Season 2 next on my own. Is Leverage any good, by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Roshi posted:

I just finished Angel and the final moment was an :argh: as Angel, Illyra/fred, spike and an injured Gunn run off to fight a horde of demons just as "Executive Producer Joss Whedon" appears and I assume they all die. Still its more of a cliffhanger for a season finale, not a series finale.

Overall, I liked Angel more than Buffy, I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I have to say Wolfram Hart is big part of it. They are truly one of the best TV antagonists I've ever watched.

I agree. Buffy had plenty of amazing episodes (mostly in Seasons 2 and 3, but also later highlights like "The Body" and my favorite, "Once More With Feeling"), but I prefer Angel. I'm just a sucker for any kind of noir detective stories, unhappy/ambiguous endings, great villains, mega-story arcs, and especially characters finding redemption. It feels darker and more mature than Buffy, and it took the three worst characters from Buffy (four if you count Faith) and made them all awesome. I absolutely love Season 5, my favorite season of any show when taken as a whole, and I'm with you on the Wolfram and Hart love/hate.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

Harmony never became awesome.

I meant Angel, Cordelia, and Wesley, who were bland/boring, bitchy/obnoxious, and completely useless/obnoxious on Buffy, but became awesome on Angel.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

the aftermath posted:

Just binged through Community. Absolutely brilliant stuff!

Is Community out on DVD already, or did you DVR it? I really want to get into the show, but I never saw any during the season.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

That's because it's not really a show about football. People going into it thinking it's a sports show probably won't like it.

This is the same problem with Sports Night, which was a pretty drat awesome show. However, most people who would have enjoyed it didn't watch it because they thought it was a show about sports, which it wasn't.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I was working my way through Lost. I stopped watching at the beginning of season three and with the seasons on Netflix it seemed like a good opportunity to catch up.

So I was halfway through season three and when I came home from work I found that Netflix had dropped everything before season five from their watch instantly list. So I guess I won't be seeing the rest of the series anytime soon.

Seasons 1-5 are still available for streaming on ABC.com!
http://abc.go.com/watch/lost/SH559062

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Chamberk posted:

I've started going through Parks and Recreation - just finishing up season 1 at the moment. I'm excited to start season 2, because everyone I've talked to says that the second season is much better than the first. As of now, it's up on Netflix Instant Watch!

Hey, Parks and Recreation buddy! I just started streaming it on Netflix as well, and I'm starting Season 2, Episode 3. I like so many people on the show -- Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Aziz Ansari, and Aubrey Plaza -- but I heard so many mixed reviews early on, I never jumped on board. That, plus I work nights, so I'm ALWAYS behind on watching current shows. I am really enjoying it so far, especially because my interest in The Office bottomed out right after Jim and Pam's wedding in Season 6 (I guess when a lot of people started losing interest, or when the show legitimately started getting worse).

I also started watching Community Season 1 on DVD, but I have the one-at-a-time plan from Netflix, so it'll take me two weeks to get through all four discs. Before that, I binged through Dexter Season 2 (excellent) but feel "Dextered out" for a little while. I'm trying to stream every David Lynch movie on Netflix, so sitcoms are perfect for much-needed breaks between Lynch's surreal nightmares.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Recently zoomed through the entirety of Parks and Recreation (started off slow, but now I love it more than The Office) and Season 4 of 30 Rock. I usually enjoy 30 Rock, even though it seems like such a smug, self-congratulatory show. Does anyone else feel that way about it?

I just started Frisky Dingo because I was a huge Archer fan, and Archer's showrunner Adam Reed co-created Frisky Dingo first. So far, I'm really not enjoying it, although the concept sounded extremely promising. It seems really crude compared to Archer (and The Venture Bros., another show I love that I figured would have a similar aesthetic), with more of that infuriating random violence and general "wacky!" randomness that turns me off to everything else on Adult Swim. I really expected more, but I will cautiously continue.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm getting ready to let my Netflix subscription lapse for a while, but I know I can fit in two more DVDs in the mail (one-at-a-time plan) before I do so. Since they are each two discs, should I get Bored to Death Season 1 or Party Down Season 1? Keep in mind I haven't seen either.

Some of my all-time favorite shows include Lost, Angel, Buffy, Venture Bros, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development, Twin Peaks, Deadwood, Firefly, Archer, 30 Rock, Stella, Parks and Recreation (my most recent discovery), and The Office (although I completely lost interest in it last season).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Widespread Panic posted:

I haven't seen Bored to Death but I can attest to Party Down's brilliance. Jane Lynch in particular was great in the first season.

If you've got watch instantly hooked up, I'd recommend Louie as well.

My wife and I just binged through the first disc of Party Down, and we're eagerly awaiting the second. Great recommendation from everyone!

I'll give Louie a chance on Instant as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rueish posted:

The last couple weeks I recently binged through How I Met Your Mother, it really solidified itself as one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The only downside is that the first 1-3 seasons are pretty much a constant stream of condensed hilarity while 4-5 aren't even close.

My wife and I absolutely love How I Met Your Mother -- it's one of the only shows we've ever been able to agree on. I hate to sound like a cliche, but we ARE Marshall and Lily, through and through. Unfortunately, we're catching up on Season 5 on DVD now, and despite some random funny moments, I agree that it is nowhere near as consistent as the first few seasons.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it was cancelled as punishment for having the worst intro song ever.

Big Bang Theory and The L Word have far worse intro songs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Are The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or Justified available via streaming through Netflix?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
One of our students loaned me Season 1 of The Wire, and I am totally hooked. I'm tearing through a season a week now, thanks to my dealer getting me the re-ups, and I watched the first two episodes of Season 3 last night. I absolutely love it, and it might end up surpassing Lost as my all-time favorite show (which in turn surpassed Angel and Arrested Development).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Seen Archer?

Archer and Venture Bros., definitely!

Even Scrubs was very good in the first few seasons.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Tendai posted:

It's too hot to do anything else right now, so I've plowed through the available seasons of Sons of Anarchy, Boardwalk Empire and the Borgias. Good, good, and good. I'm impatient for all of them to continue. I'm also trying to get into the Wire, but I'm finding the first couple episodes to feel sloooow.

EDIT: Come to think of it, can anyone recommend some good historical/period shows a la Boardwalk Empire, Borgias and the Tudors? I've got Deadwood coming my way, but I can't think of others at the moment.

Rome and Carnivale, for sure. I like Deadwood the most by far, followed by Rome and then Carnivale. And The Wire is my all-time favorite show, but it'll take most of the first six episodes for you to really get into it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Flatscan posted:

The first season of Buffy can be a bit painful, but it does improve.

I found the first season of Buffy to be a horrible chore to get through, but luckily, it's only a 12-episode season. The Season 1 finale starts to improve quite a bit, and I was fully hooked by Season 2, episode 3, which introduces two important characters and really sets the tone for the rest of Seasons 2 and 3 -- the best era of the show, if you ask me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think Season 1, Episode 6, "The Wire," is the tipping point for The Wire. I'll be the first one to admit it's slow and a little hard to follow up until that point, but that's where the show kicks into high gear. If you're not into it after that point, it just might not be for you, but I implore people to give it a chance up until then.

Not every show starts off perfect: most people agree that skeptical newbies should start with Season 2, Episode 1 of Parks and Recreation, and only revisit the six-episode first season once they're committed fans, and I always felt that Buffy the Vampire Slayer's first season is a chore to watch, but by Season 2, Episode 3, "School Hard," the show has found its voice and people WILL be won over.

Not every show is excellent from the pilot, but Arrested Development, Deadwood, The Shield, and Twin Peaks will definitely grab people from the first moments and hold them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Just pounded season 1 of Game of Thrones, and remembered why I only binge series' that are finished. Can't stand waiting! Gah!

So, what's next? Would like an hourlong drama, I guess. Seen West Wing, Lost, SFU, Sopranos etc.

The Wire, or possibly Deadwood. If you have the patience to get past relatively weak first seasons, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are both very rewarding.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Demented Guy posted:

Yeah, never felt so sad by the end of a television show ever. Maybe I should try The Shield.

It's a great, gritty, morally ambiguous cop show, but still not as good as The Wire.

I'm binging through Breaking Bad thanks to Netflix streaming, and I'm about halfway through Season 2 so far. I'm still liking and empathizing with Walt more than I probably should. Also slowly catching up with Community Season 2, to hopefully be ready to watch Season 3 as it airs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

kaworu posted:

I do want to say that Walter Jr. is loving awesome. I assume the actor has cerebral palsy in real life? He does a really fantastic job, it's strange because I don't really think of the character in terms of his handicap at all, and generally with a character like that the handicap winds up being the defining characteristic, but that's really not the case here.

Yes, RJ Mitte does have cerebral palsy, and he is fantastic in that part. You tend to not even notice after a while. My wife has cerebral palsy too (although it doesn't affect her speech in any way like RJ/Walter Jr., just her gait), and she was thrilled that they cast an actor with the disability and that he and the writers do such a good job portraying him as a normal, empathethic teenager.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 15, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm all caught up on How I Met Your Mother and Louie (with my wife) and Parks & Recreation and Community (by myself, since I just can't get her into them).

However, we both just discovered Up All Night on Hulu, and we're tearing through the episodes and really enjoying them together. We relate a lot to Christina Applegate and Will Arnett's characters, even though we're the only couple among our friends who AREN'T having babies like it's going out of style. The show is funny and sweet without being cloying, and we both like that the married couple seems to genuinely like each other and be friends, rather than constantly snipping and sniping and tearing each other down. I think Parks & Rec and 30 Rock fans would definitely enjoy it, whether you're 30-somethings like us or not, whether you have kids or not.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

pigdog posted:

I'm looking for another series to watch. Hopefully something recent. Seen and liked

Band of Brothers
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Game of Thrones
Generation Kill
Mad Men
The Pacific
The Wire
True Blood

Wasn't terribly interested in Rome but perhaps I'll give it another go. Seen the pilot for Treme, didn't spark my interest sadly. Perhaps Carnivale? Walking Dead (heard its second season sucks)?

Give Rome another chance and try Carnivale, as others have suggested -- they're only two short seasons each. But if you really want to get hooked on some new shows, having liked those, you have to watch The Shield and LOST.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Your statement about that being the only horrible things in season is wrong. You also meet a horrible horrible character.

DeLonda (Namond's mom)? If not that character, then I honestly don't remember anyone else horrible.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is Breaking Bad Season 4 on Netflix or DVD yet? I'll have to rejoin whenever it is.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I just finished Season 1 of Veronica Mars, which I watched years ago, enjoyed, but mostly forgot about, and she saw for the first time and loved. We're going to tear through Seasons 2 and 3 next, even though I hear they aren't as good.

I'm also catching up with Breaking Bad Season 4 as they slowly trickle the episodes onto Bright House OnDemand, hopefully to be done in time for the Season 5 premiere in two weeks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Finally caught up to the current episode with Breaking Bad, and just started Veronica Mars Season 3 with my wife. Loving everything about both shows.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I finished Veronica Mars last night. I enjoyed the third season despite warnings it wasn't nearly as good as the first two. Kristen Bell and Enrico Colantoni were wonderful throughout, the supporting cast was always awesome (especially Logan giving so many people well-deserved beatdowns), and I loved seeing all the Party Down cast members show up throughout the series.

But when that final episode ended on a cliffhanger with so many subplots unresolved and so many directions a fourth season could have gone in, my wife and I both yelled "BULLSHIT!" in unison. It wasn't as bad as Twin Peaks' unintentional series finale, and it fit with the show's neo-noir aesthetic, but it was still a big disappointment.

I wonder if it would be worth starting a Veronica Mars thread in TVIV for late converts like myself.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan, and I've loved all of his projects except for Dollhouse. I saw the first episode some time back and it didn't make much of an impression, and the main concept (people who are programmed to be assassins/sex slaves/etc. and then mindwiped) does nothing for me. Does it get better and build to some level of serialized awesomeness? If so, is there a good point where I can jump in later? Because if it remains just the job-and-mindwipe of the week, I won't even bother.

Same question goes for Fringe. I don't have a lot of patience for monster/mystery-of-the-week episodes, but I'm intrigued by what I've heard about the parallel/alternate universes (dimensions?) that become important later.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I just finished Game of Thrones Season 1, after my PARENTS raved about the show and loaned us their DVDs. We both loved it, and once again, she was pleasantly surprised because she hates fantasy -- never seen or read Lord of the Rings or anything like that. Now we can't wait to catch up with the Season 2 DVDs.

We're also halfway through Season 1 of Homeland, which strikes me as a cross between 24 and The Manchurian Candidate. We both like that so far, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you've already seen Dollhouse Season 1, you HAVE to see Season 2. There's not a bad episode in the bunch, and they only ramp the tension and insanity higher and higher as they approach the end.

You also need to finish Twin Peaks. There is a stretch of boring-to-outright bad episodes between the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer and the finale, all from when David Lynch left the show to direct Wild at Heart, but the finale (which Lynch returned for) has to be seen, if you're any kind of fan. Again, INSANITY.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Middleman is a fun, light, comedic monster-of-the-week show. You'll be sad it only lasted one season.

Also, Dollhouse is awesome -- it starts out as a "case of the week," Charlie's Angels-esque sort of thing, but after five episodes, quickly evolves into a deeper drama/sci-fi/action epic, with an excellent cast and plenty of much-needed comic relief. You guys already like sci-fi, so you will probably love it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lord Dekks posted:

We've been watching Alphas and enjoying it, seen House and enjoyed the first few seasons. Torn on Carnivale as it was cancelled and never really resolved wasn't it? same with Deadwood, heard great things about it but if it ends on a cliffhanger not sure I want to bother.

Will check out Veronica Mars and Revenger though.

Deadwood isn't nearly as bad as Carnivale. There is still a lot more story that could have been told, even if they followed historical events, and David Milch had planned to wrap things up with two or three movies. But at least the third and final season gave us an appropriate ending that leaves you satisfied (if wanting more).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jolan posted:

I just finished watching the first season of Homeland. I don't think I've ever actually been frustrated with a show before because of how good it is. The seven months until the second season hits the shelves will be torture.

I don't know if it's a possibility for you, but after my wife and I finished Homeland Season 1 on DVD, we subscribed to Showtime for a WEEK because Season 2 had recently wrapped up, and they had the whole season available on demand. We zoomed through the twelve episodes and canceled our subscription, and felt it was a worthy investment to not have to wait.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You should see:

Deadwood (an HBO prestige series -- and an excellent Western -- that deserves to be mentioned in the same lists as The Wire and Breaking Bad. Yes, it's THAT good. Huge cast of incredible actors, buoyed by David Milch's Shakespearian yet profanity-laden dialogue.)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (very weak first season, but it's only twelve episodes. It gets GREAT by Season 2, episode 3, after which you'll probably want to continue if you made it that far.)

Angel (spinoff of Buffy, starts out running concurrently to Buffy Season 4 and has a few minor crossovers. It can be watched and enjoyed alone, though. First season starts out bad but improves, 2-4 are one awesome mega-arc, and 5 is my favorite single season of any show ever. Usually darker and more "mature" than Buffy, I'd argue it's an easier show to get hooked on.)

Dollhouse (only two 13-episode seasons, and well worth the time. The first five episodes are a chore, but it kicks into high gear with episode 6 and never slows back down.)

Party Down (great, short-lived sitcom starring Adam Scott from Parks & Rec, and lots of familiar faces from Veronica Mars and other good shows.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Twee as gently caress posted:

Deadwood: Will give another chance based on TO on Justified

So far the two biggest winners are Deadwood and The League

My advice: watch Deadwood with the subtitles/closed captioning on. The dialogue is very complex, and it's easy to miss or misinterpret things. It won't be distracting at all, and I found it really helped me catch everything.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Joramun posted:

Can anyone recommend me some more shows like Archer and Black Dynamite? That genre is just extremely amusing to me.

The only thing that comes close to Archer for me is The Venture Bros.. Imagine an update of the cheesy Jonny Quest cartoon of the '60s, featuring a boy adventurer grown up into an angry, depressed loser of a scientist, his two naive but well-intentioned sons, and their gruff, violent bodyguard, who get into all kinds of adventures and have regular conflicts with their failure-prone supervillain arch-enemies. (Patrick Warburton does the voice of the Ventures' loyal bodyguard, Brock Sampson, if you liked him as Rip Riley on Archer.)

There's so much more to it than that, though. The show's creators, Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer, created an even richer and more complex mythology than Archer and filled it with jokes, callbacks, obscure references, and pop culture homages ('60s Marvel Comics, glam rock and New Wave music, Scooby Doo, the Adam West Batman show, G.I. Joe, and so much more). Plus, unlike Archer, there's actually a lot of heart. The soundtrack by industrial music pioneer J.G. Thirlwell kicks rear end, too.

Best of all, they are coming out with the long-awaited fifth season in May, so you have plenty of time to get caught up through Netflix. Season 1 starts out a little slow and doesn't hint at the greatness ahead, but by the end of Season 1, you'll probably be won over.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 3, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just started watching Justified a few days ago (thank you, my wife's Amazon Prime!), and it is AWESOME. I only have a few more episodes to go in Season 1. Normally I hate case/problem/guest star-of-the-week shows, but I like the overarching storylines tying everything together, and hopefully the later seasons become more serialized. It helps that I have a lot of goodwill for Timothy Olyphant from Deadwood and the outstanding Walton Goggins from The Shield (who is KILLING IT as Boyd Crowder), and I've always been a bit of an Elmore Leonard fan as well. The amount of humor is always a pleasant surprise -- the show could easily come across like a crappy Walker: Texas Ranger knockoff without the clever dialogue and comic relief moments.

So far, Justified reminds me a bit of Dexter only because the lead character is great and the bad guys are good, but the lead character's colleagues are pretty boring. At least Justified hasn't yet made the mistake of focusing too much on Raylan's relatively generic co-workers. I only made it through the first two seasons of Dexter, but I'm already committed enough to the world of Raylan Givens and Boyd Crowder that I'll keep tearing through the show until I catch up.

EDIT: Loving the theme song as well. Gangstagrass!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 21, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Herb Stencil posted:

I know it's not original, or even a little uncommon, but I finally decided to finish Twin Peaks. I'd only ever worked through the first story arc the first investigation and finally sort of thwarting BOB So recently I sat down and finished out season 2. I can't say I loved everything about it but I did love a lot of it. I can only imagine seeing the ending when it aired and how it must have gone over with the die-hard fans It was a fantastic break from my usual habit of watching sitcoms, but I feel empty inside now. I almost wish I'd never gone back to watch the second arc.

You might as well watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me now. The first third is awesome, but it's much darker and more disturbing than the series, with none of the humor after that point. It is a prequel rather than a continuation, so don't expect some magical finale that wraps up all the loose ends from the series. Unfortunately, it bombed, so Lynch never made the other two movies he hoped to make that would wrap everything up with a satisfying conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've blown through the first two seasons of Justified since starting on March 17th, and I just watched the Season 3 premiere. I'm feeling a little fatigue, but not because any of it has been bad -- I've just been overdoing it a bit.

My wife and I have two more episodes to go on Game of Thrones Season 2, and we've loved every moment of it so far. We don't subscribe to HBO, but I think we'll wait until Season 3 is just about over, and hopefully our cable company will offer all the episodes on HBO On Demand. Then we'll subscribe for a week, marathon the whole season, and cancel HBO afterwards. That's what we did to catch up with Homeland Season 2 on Showtime.