Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I've been going through Friday Night Lights in the past couple weeks and just finished the fourth season. Is there a place that I can catch up on the fifth season? I'm really enjoying it and I don't want to have to wait for it to show up on Netflix if I don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Season 4 is awesome. Tim Riggins is a noble guy.

Exactly. And it makes me want to watch The Wire again, which is never a bad thing.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Lackadaisical posted:

Are there any good comedy sitcoms I can binge through? I've done the obvious ones like Big Bang Theory, Chuck, Arrested Development, Psych, Community, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock and even things like Pushing Daisies. :( I'm starting to run out of things to watch!

You should watch Better off Ted. And to name a few more, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The League, and Party Down. Going a little further back there's also Newsradio, and Seinfeld of course if you haven't seen it.

I'm currently going through Journeyman, I'm three episodes in and loving it so far. After I'm done with that I'm going to watch Undeclared, followed by Spaced.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just watched Dollhouse for the second time. I really liked it after seeing it the first time and was surprisingly blind to most of it's flaws. After a second time though, I know that the only reason I liked it was because I found the plot intriguing. I still enjoyed it, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again. The second half of season 2 screamed of "We know we're getting cancelled, so let's rush the plot to get everything resolved." It's too bad, I really like the premise of the show and it had potential to be more than it was.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

That's not quite accurate. It goes mostly down the crapper, then it gets stuck and the crapper overflows. Then in season three they get the butter knife to try to cut it into flushable pieces, and then they use the plunger and try and force the pieces the rest of the way down the crapper, but it just breaks apart and floods onto the carpet and everyone starts vomiting from the smell.

This is a perfect description of the quality of Heroes. Season 3 is probably my favorite trainwreck in television.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

nixar55 posted:

I've got four episodes left of the fourth season of Breaking Bad. Kinda don't want to finish because then I'll have long months without new episodes and that sucks.

This is exactly why I haven't finished the fourth season yet. I have like three or four episodes left and I think I'm just going to watch one every couple of months till I'm caught up. At least that's what I'd like to do, but knowing me I'll probably watch one episode then immediately watch the rest without stopping.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Yeah that guy was just doing it to be cute. Some "oh 3 weeks is too soon? well lemme spoil something from two years ago and see if that's different" thing.

People love to buck about spoiler tags, thinking its about arbitrary rules or timing, never realizing it's really just about courtesy.

If there's one thing everyone in this thread can appreciate, it's how people may want to check out old shows that slipped past their radar with fresh eyes. A person current on Dexter but only starting season X of Breaking Bad goes into the Dexter thread and gets dicked the same because someone else is too lazy or just doesn't give a gently caress about other people's experience. Such weaksauce. If I like something, I want others to get the same chance I had to see it's full glory.

Yeah, if I'm in the show's thread and get spoiled then it's kind of my fault since I'm not caught up in the series (this is why I don't read show threads until I'm caught up). But I get really irritated if I get spoiled on a show I'm currently going through when I'm in a completely unrelated thread. I don't care enough to whine about it though. It sucks to be spoiled, but if not getting spoiled mattered that much to me then I would just stay off the forums till I got caught up since that's really the one sure way to avoid spoilers, and even then I could always overhear people talking at work or something about how Walter Jr. killed his dad because Walt beat him in Mortal Kombat.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm going through Psych right now and I'm loving every second of it. I'm almost done with the second season and I'm super excited that I'm not even half way through it yet. And once I get all caught up with Psych I think I feel another Carnivale rewatch coming.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Chamberk posted:

Regarding BSG: There is a drop in quality, but I'd say it's not bad throughout. People were VERY divided about the finale.

Yeah, the first two seasons were so good that I think it would be a bit unfair to expect them to keep up with that kind of quality (think Lost, but dial it back a few notches). On my first time through I didn't really notice much of a dip in quality. There are some really good plot arcs in the last couple seasons though. There really are only a few specific things in seasons 3 and 4 that bothered me, the people who have seen it could probably guess what at least two of them are. Just keep watching and form your own opinion, I'd be surprised if you finished the series completely disappointed besides maybe having a bad taste in your mouth from the finale.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Acrolos posted:

Carnivale, for sure. It was cut too short, but Daniel Knauf (the creator) built it to be played in two season arcs, so the series still manages to do a pretty good job of wrapping things up, since the first arc was complete.

It's probably my favorite series of all-time.

Carnivale is also probably my favorite series ever. I was flipping through the channels the other day and ended up sitting through the entirety of Pet Sematary 2 just because Clancy Brown is in it.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I'd give my left nut, make a deal with the devil, and vote republican to live in a world where Carivale got to finish it's fully plotted story. Although I'm a perfectly happy man living in a world where the first book was 'completed' (although rushed) and the broadstrokes of the later books made public.

Carnivale is the best show ever cancelled.

I agree with this, and I would do all those things and more to see Carnivale concluded as intended. The Wire is probably my favorite drama ever, but there isn't a doubt in my mind that Carnivale would have been my favorite if it had went all six seasons.

There was a thread for Carnivale a while back but I'm sure it went to archives by now.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm rewatching Supernatural on Netflix. I understand that shows have to change some of the music because of licensing issues, but this is the first show that it really bothers me. I remember recognizing a ton a sweet classic rock songs on the show, and after getting through the first season on my rewatch it seems like it was all replaced with generic rock that I am not familiar with. It feels like they took out like a third of the charm of the show. Eye of the Tiger better still be in here or I will not watch the show again unless I get my hands on the dvds.

Music issues aside though, Supernatural is just as good as it was the first time around.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just finished watching season 1 of Nikita on Netflix. I am totally in love with this show now, does anybody know if season 2 is available to watch anywhere? Also, I haven't seen it in a long time, but I just wanted to say that the day Full House becomes available to watch on Netflix will be the day I stop going to work.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

shagster104 posted:

I've watched all of alphas, and 2 seasons of misfits. Both much better than heroes. I just thought of give heroes a shot.

I got a pretty good laugh at how atrocious Heroes became but I agree that you would be better off stopping after season one and move onto something else, such as The 4400. It's similar enough to Heroes but much better.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Khorne Flakes posted:

Ok, now I need another show suggestion as I finished another series last night. Few I have watched over the past few months to get an idea:

Nikita
Lost Girl
Warehouse 13
Doctor Who
BSG
Luther

You can see a SciFi and crime theme.

Well if you want to keep with the sci-fi theme there's Alphas, Fringe, and Charlie Jade, all of which are great.

And supposedly Justified is really really good. I've only just started watching it myself, only 4 episodes in and I'm already really enjoying it.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I still can't bring up Terriers to anyone without being laughed at for watching a show about dogs. What was the title they originally wanted to go with, wasn't it something like Beach Dicks?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Holy smokes, The Shield is now available to watch through Amazon prime. I have wanting to watch that show for years but have been patiently waiting for it to show up on Amazon and/or Netflix. I have to finish watching Justified first but as soon as I'm done with that I am going to watch the poo poo out The Shield.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I really need to check out Black Books sometime. Too many of you guys keep bringing it up for me to ignore much longer. I know I'll enjoy it too since I love shows like Spaced.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Just finished season 1 of The Shield. I happened to enjoy every bit of it, but I can see where some people might be kind if meh about it. The finale was pretty loving intense, and I'm very happy to know that it only gets better from here.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I've been rewatching Supernatural lately, season 5 is so good.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Yeah you definitely stopped watching right before it started to get somewhat good again, I thought seasons 4 and 5 ranged from good to great and the season 3 finale is balls to the wall insane.

That being said, I was so disappointed by season 6 it almost ruined the show for me. I still think seasons 1-5 are good television but for any rewatches I do in the future I'm just going to ignore the last season and pretend that it ended with season 5.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

richardfun posted:

I'm rewatching it for the first time, on season 1 now. Can't wait to get to the later arcs.

The first time through I stopped watching shortly into season 6, so I actually have a decent amount of episodes that will be new to me.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Equester posted:

The defiance thread made me aware of Farscape and now that I'm through all four seasons, I really want some more Sci-fi.

I've been in the mood for more sci-fi lately and Farscape caught my eye. General consensus is that its pretty good then?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm a few episodes into season 2 of Farscape. I'm enjoying it so far, but some of these episodes are pretty hosed up.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

I know it has been mentioned several times in this thread even by myself, but if you haven't watched Terriers, get started now. I'm re-watching it after finishing only a few months ago, and I think it's even better the second time around. The show is very well written with truly funny quips and one liners, and the chemistry between Donal Logue and Michael Raymond-James is just awesome. No matter how much work these guys get, they need more. I can't believe the series only lasted one season.

Yeah, Terriers is great. The only other person I know that has even seen Terriers is one of my coworkers, and he said that the only reason he watched a show with a name like that is because Michael Raymond-James was a childhood friend of his or something and he always tries to catch things he has been in.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Sober posted:

It's been forever since I finished the first two seasons of Farscape (which means I watched 3x01 to resolve the cliffhanger). I really should go back. It's gonna get even more awesome, right?

My copy of Peacekeeper Wars is still in the shrink wrap.

From what I've been told it does get more awesome, but I'm in the middle of season 3 and so far it I don't find it any better than season 2. That isn't a bad thing though because I absolutely loved season 2. If you liked the show in the first place I really can't think of a reason not to keep watching.

Edit: Peacekeeper Wars is a movie, right? I know movies from sci-fi shows can be hit or miss but would it be worth my time to check out Peacekeeper Wars after finishing Farscape?

Jingleheimer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 7, 2013

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I finally finished Farscape. It's so good and I wish there was a thread here for me to talk about it in. Now I'm not sure what to watch next, but I think I'll stay on the sci-fi path and watch Stargate, and mix in season 7 of Psych when I need a break. And then there's still Hannibal to watch, and I also need to catch up on Breaking Bad before it starts up again. Oh god, I've seen so much, and yet there is still so much more that I have yet to see. Sooner or later I'm going to have to unhook all of my poo poo and throw it all in a closet or something so I can actually get some work done around the house.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I finally got around to watching season 2 of Alphas. It was awesome and I wish there was more, shame that it ended the way it did though.

I also just finished the first season of Stargate SG-1. I thought some of the episodes were hit or miss but overall it was decent, and the last few episodes were really good. I'm really looking forward to starting season 2 in the next couple days.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I don't want to get into a big thing about it here, but I don't think it was as bad as most people will tell you. You should just keep going and form your own opinion on it without any of us clouding your judgement. Even if you don't like the ending it's still pretty much good TV.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I started watching 24 recently. I'm almost done with season 1 and yet again I am reminded that everything is better with Dennis Hopper.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

R. Mute posted:

It's just a shame that Nick Stahl is loving terrible. But that's more than made up by Clancy Brown who is just amazing. They ended up releasing some documents about what would've happened if they were actually allowed to do the full show and didn't have to cut it short and it's just so frustrating that we'll never see any of it happening. Bah.

I'm taking golf lessons currently and my instructor looks a lot like Clancy Brown. Every time I look at him I get sad that there isn't any more Carnivale to watch.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just watched the first season of Hemlock Grove. I didn't really care for it, I thought the plot was kind of all over the place at times and it seemed like they just didn't want to expand on the shows mythology very much. Is the second season any better or should I just move onto something else? I'm looking for something to scratch that Supernatural itch and Hemlock Grove isn't really doing it for me.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I really need to watch Farscape again, that show is too good to only have seen once

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I've been watching Stargate SG-1 lately. I started watching it a while back but I lost interest about halfway through season 2 when I hit a patch of uninteresting standalone episodes, but I recently picked it back up and it started to click with me almost immediately. I'm almost done with season 3 and I'm enjoying every bit of it. I still have a ton of episodes ahead of me though so I'm hoping that it doesn't turn into poo poo after a few more seasons.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

bowmore posted:

I'm one episode away from finishing Breaking Bad.

A few days ago I went out to dinner with a group of people and one of them said that she was 2 episodes away from finishing Breaking Bad. I criticized her at first for not staying home and finishing it up immediately. And then commended her for actually having the willpower to hold off on it, since I definitely wouldn't have been able to do that at that point of the series.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Drifter posted:

I fuckin' LOVED Fringe. Even the first couple X-Files episodes. What a great show.

If you guys want to watch an unrelated but also great sci-fi show, watch Day Break. It's one of my favorites. REALLY well done and fun. It's a cop on the run show, but so so good.

Day Break is an incredible show. It was available for steaming on Netflix at one point but I don't think it is anymore. If anyone knows where it can be watched please let me know because I need to watch it again.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I haven't been too impressed with Hannibal this season but it's only been a few episodes. I'm giving it a couple more episodes before I start judging it.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

I quite enjoyed season 2 even though it went further off the rails a bit. I think it was just starting to ramp up into something good. I'm bitter as hell about it and Jericho being cancelled.

Have you seen The 100? If you like Revolution I think you'd really like the The 100. The first season is on Netflix and we're getting a 3rd and final season which should wrap everything up. poo poo is getting balls to the walls bonkers.

Is the next season of The 100 really going to be the last one? That's awful news to hear, the show is so good and I don't want it to end.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Are there any great several-season sitcoms I could breeze through? I've enjoyed the usual staples like AD, P&R, Scrubs, 30 Rock, HIMYM, Community, The Office (both), Veep, Silicon Valley, Brooklyn 9-9, and got bored of Modern Family's sameness after about season 5. Anything else I should check out that's been running/ran for a while?

If you want to check out something older but not terribly old you could always go with the big sitcoms from the 80's/90's. Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers, Frasier, those are all great. You also can't go wrong with the first 7-9 seasons of the Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Season 2 was my least favorite my first time watching. But on a rewatch it was definitely my favorite. I really want to watch The Wire again, it's been years since I've last seen it, but there are so many good shows on my list that I haven't seen yet and I just don't have the time.