Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
So because of this thread, I started watching Six Feet Under, and found the first and second seasons to be some of the best television I've ever watched. I found myself pretty disappointed with the first episode of the third season, though. Does the third season get better than the first episode? I really can't stand Lisa and her boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Rewatching Six Feet Under for like the fifth or sixth time and looking for recs of this kind of show — low-stakes dramedy with some amount of depth. Mad Men and Succession scratch the same itch for me. Also really loved Enlightened.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
I've given The Americans and HaCF a try before, but neither grabbed me with the first few episodes. Been meaning to give HaCF another try.

I'll check out Lodge 49, too. Rectify is another show I really loved, even though there's not really any comedy.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

Cactus posted:

For wholesome shows did no one mention Kim's Convenience?

Although it had a few issues that if I recall correctly an unusually articulate commentor on Alan Sepinwall's reviews of the show managed to rip it apart for, Parenthood fits this description. It's similar to SFU only without the darkness of the funeral home background and the constant proximity to death and is from the same era, maybe a little after.

I watched and enjoyed most of Parenthood (don’t think I ever saw the last season though.) Some truly wretched plotlines — “hey pregnant coffee cart lady, can I have your baby” comes to mind — but definitely the same kind of emotional, character-driven storytelling. Friday Night Lights too.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Six Feet Under hasn't aged especially gracefully, especially its first two seasons -- the secondary characters are sketched really loosely for most of the first season, and there's this sense of middle-class smarm that ranges from "eye-rolling" to "really unpleasant." There's also this weird pro-life undercurrent and some truly dire B-plots. But the acting is consistently great (can't believe Lauren Ambrose hasn't had more of a career), and the relationships between the members of the Fisher family feel real, complex, and vivid in a way that I haven't seen replicated that often. It was a really good show from that time period that wasn't deeply cynical about humanity. Season 3 is top-tier TV, and yeah, the finale is excellent. I've rewatched it at least five times and only really started to notice the show's flaws on my last rewatch, so I think I've finally grown out of it, but I wish more shows were as interested in exploring some of the questions Six Feet Under was asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

I rewatched it a year or so ago though and didn't feel like there was a pro-life undercurrent at all though.

I’m thinking of Nate having visions of the “children” he would have had, if he hadn’t urged his exes to have abortions, culminating in ghost child saying “I know the secret to everything, but you killed me.” Then there’s Claire’s abortion which also results in her seeing a vision of her dead baby, and Russell yelling at her for killing his kid in a way she didn’t respond to. The whole last season plot with Nate wanting Brenda to have an abortion feels a little out of the pro-life playbook too.

I think any of these things on their own would be character moments, as opposed to a mark on the show, but all of them together feels a little regressive.