Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I don't know why I haven't gone after the second season of The Expanse. I liked the first season, but just haven't bothered with the second yet.

I've been waiting for them to finish it. I enjoyed the first season, but I have a feeling that I would have lost interest halfway through if I had watched it while it was airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I've been watching the first season of The Magicians, which I put off for quite a while based on the reception it received in this thread and the commercials they were playing before it aired (which made me think it would be cloyingly obsessed with showing off how much more adult it is than Harry Potter). It actually seems alright, so far—it's not good, but it's very watchable.

Yeet posted:

I just binged through six episodes of Into the Badlands this show is pretty sick. That dude with the two swords goes gently caress wild and kills like 60 people in 3 episodes, its awesome.

I also just happened to watch this, and I'm now disappointed that they aren't further into season 2. The first season was a little rocky in places, but I have to agree with Open Source Idiom's judgement that the second season is much better.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I keep meaning to read the source novels just because I'm curious if he's such a prissy shithead in them as well.

I haven't seen the second season to say if he's precisely the same kind of shithead, but yes.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Like badass heists? A dysfunctional family dynamic? Ellen Barkin playing the most cruel and ruthless woman ever to grace TV?

Boy do I got a show for you. Watch Animal Kingdom.

I really enjoyed the first season of this quite a while ago. It looks like the second season is still airing?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I often end up watching and enjoying a show, but really struggle to watch the last episode. If the show has been cancelled or completed, I'll watch the whole thing, but for some reason when I catch up with a show that is still airing, I end up putting off watching the latest season-finale for ages (often until the next season has finished airing). Am I just nuts, or does anyone else do this?

mobby_6kl posted:

All the talk about Spartacus got me to check out Blood and Sand too for the first time. So far at least with the pilot it's kind of cheesy and ultra-violent so I'm not sure I'd be able to take it seriously.

This was exactly how I felt watching the first half-season, but I ended up binging through the entire thing and thoroughly enjoying it. The cheesy violence sticks around, but once the characters and plot begin to develop it isn't as overpowering.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm thinking of binging through Carnivale. I watched the first episode like 7 years ago or something, liked it, but then never watched the rest. Everyone says it's worth going through, but does it have even a hint of an end? I know it got cancelled kinda suddenly.

It's been quite a while, but as I recall there really isn't an ending.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

As I recall, the show easily could have stopped four or five times before it did, so just pick one when you're satisfied that you've seen everything it has to offer.

Klaaz posted:

Yeah, the last two seasons of Californication are incredibly bad, it really felt like they didn't give a poo poo anymore.

I feel like they just ran out of things to do with the characters. Actually, I feel like they ran out of things to do with the characters by season four or five, but they did an increasingly bad job of hiding it as the show went on.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

I think I'm halfway through two, I'll give it a few more episodes I guess but man the dialogue is so unatural I don't know what to make of it.

I felt this way, intensely, when the girlfriend was introduced; the dialogue and acting in the bar scenes when they meet are unbelievably bad. It gets better over time, if only because the girlfriend plays a smaller role.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Second Sun posted:

Is funny, all the time skips left me a bit iffy on the show.

I'd have to rewatch the whole thing to see if my memory is just poo poo, but the final season felt much better than I remember the rest of the show being. I thought some of the stuff with the daughters was a bit iffy, though.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Please give Magicians a season, the pay off is brilliant. It's universally loved around these parts. If you think it's going to be Harry Potter: College Years, that's not even close.

Is it universally loved? It's exactly as bad as you would expect a Syfy channel comedy to be. I will admit that what makes it bad is not how derivative it is.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 13, 2018

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Someone mentioned Britannia up-thread and I, unfortunately, decided to watch it. It seems like the plan was to make a campy show in a quazi-historical setting until an executive somewhere decided to burden the project with an actual budget. I'm not sure who Britannia's intended audience is, as the writing is fit for children but it's full of tits and gore.

Still, if an incredibly predictable chosen-one narrative mixed with YA-fiction tier drama penned by aging hippies who do all of their own post effects sounds appealing—and I suppose that it might to some people—Britannia is the show for the job.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Is it anything like The Tudors, if you have seen that? If so i'd probably like it.

While it's been quite a while, my recollection is that The Tudors had a coherent plot, was a period piece, and had a writing staff that at least read their own dialogue out loud before sending it to set. I'm pretty sure Britannia is only set during the Roman invasion of Britain because someone still had a bunch of Roman legionnaire costumes in storage and the writers didn't really care what their clumsy imperialist props were wearing. It's much more Xena: Warrior Princess (without any of the charm) than prestige drama.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 15, 2018

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

You're in luck, it just got renewed.

Jesus. Really?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I've been watching Merlin because I saw seasons 1-3 years ago and never finished it (I think they were on Hulu at the time or something?). It's cheesy at times, but a decent enough watch while doing other stuff. The quality seems to steadily improve instead of steadily degrading, as is the case with most shows. I really wish it had been made after serialized plot-lines became a thing with easy access to episodes on demand.

Tony Gunk posted:

Currently binging Forged In Fire. Trashy reality TV it might be, but watching people make knives and medieval weapons is just really cool.

I watched a some of this recently. I have a weakness for skill-based competitive reality TV shows and it hits the spot, though it is indeed pretty trashy. I wish they would branch out a bit more with the early rounds, as I was kind of sick watching people make knives for half an hour after a few episodes.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 30, 2018

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mackers posted:

Holy poo poo that was the best original show I have watched in years. Hill and Stone were amazing and I had to marathon the whole loving thing. Who the gently caress knew Jonah Hill could act?

The show was great, and I also marathoned it in a couple of days, but Hill's acting felt like the weakest link to me. All of the "characters" he plays are basically indistinguishable except for some minor accent changes; the one real departure is as much a silly voice as it is a character.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

I just finished Umbrella Academy. It was a lot of fun, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was this far from being truly great. There were just a lot of plot "twists" that were easy to see coming from miles away, and a few glaring instances of characters making very dumb decisions just to move the plot forward. All in all very much worth watching, but not as amazing as I feel it could have been.

Just finished this as well. The biggest pair of 'twists' was obvious from the first or second episode and the dialogue is written with exactly the finesse you would expect from a comic book adaptation. The pacing is hosed—in a ten episode season, there must be four or five episodes worth of wheel-spinning—and it makes copious use of that hack TV writer contrivance where the plot is arrested because none of the characters tell each-other anything until it's time for the next beat. Still, most of the effects are petty good (except for that awful muscle suit) and it's an entertaining enough watch as long as you aren't giving it your full attention.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I made the mistake of watching Knightfall, which was so milquetoast that I can't think of anything else to say about it. I'm kind of shocked that it got renewed.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 4, 2019

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

mystes posted:

The type of sci-fi time travel that's concerned more with the mechanics of time travel is pretty difference from the type of time travel story that's focused on what it's like for a modern person to live in the past. It's OK to not like the latter category without trying to turn it into a sexist thing.

It's based on a romance novel and the major character beats bend to that genre's conventions, I don't think it's a sexist thing?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

stfu and cook me porridge, Sasanach

Yeah, no, the show definitely dips into sexism at times, but mystes seemed to be suggesting that recognizing the genre of the source material was sexist.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Period romance = bad, gotcha.

I actually thought the show was alright until it got into weird rape land, personally. I have not previously made any statements of preference for/against this show.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 14, 2019

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Constellation I posted:

I'm all for dumb poo poo (like that Habib Marwan season in 24), but given the premise, the episodes were pretty meh. I'm a huge fan of a huge portion of the cast though. (Kiefer, Maggie Q, Canto, KAL PENN) The premise and the cast definitely deserve better writing.

Yeah, I have to turn off part of my brain to ignore how stupid most of the politics on the show are; I almost bailed when (early season 1) the response to a governor basically seceding was to tell him very sternly he was breaking the law six times, and then telling him that he could go to jail was played as some kind of masterstroke.

The dialogue really shits the bed at times (the first few episodes are particularly bad), but it seems like a fine background watch so far (around halfway through season 1). Given how season one is going, it seems like they could have written a tight 10 episodes but wrote a saggy 21 instead.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Selachian posted:

Yeah, I've been watching Blown Away too. It's a lot of fun and each episode is only half an hour so they don't need to pad it out with reality show drama bullshit.

This was a decent little watch, though I will admit to having a weakness for the skill based reality TV competition "genre".

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

wormil posted:

It gets repetitive but is a good show. At times they make it ridiculously difficult so it becomes a test of working through adversity rather than knife making. And it's shocking how many people stupidly ignore the requirements, like length.

Yeah—I like the show but the first half of each episode is basically the same thing over and over again which sort of drags it down.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Haven't tried the series yet but I've heard good things from friends.

The series is kind of a bummer. The puppets and the practical effects are, as you would expect, charming (though the Gelflings look like plastic dolls caked in concealer every time there's a closeup). Unfortunately the writing is, in its brightest moments, tolerable. It's littered with clichés, tonally confused, riddled with plot holes, poorly paced, and the characters act incomprehensibly as often as not. Even if it's disappointing, none of that is shocking: the series is banking on viewers who want to revisit the puppets and the world of Dark Crystal.

What did surprise me is the lazy world building. There's all kinds of delightful little creatures and impressively constructed setpieces, but the writers seem to have spent very little time thinking about how this world or the creatures in it might be and act and live. For a simple example, the Gelflings (who make up at least half of the cast) have the mystical ability to share memories with each other through touch with no apparent opportunity for deception and very little effort. It's strange, though, as the Gelflings are constantly forgetting that they have this ability and then acting surprised when someone reminds them of its existence. Somehow, it doesn't seem to have shaped their culture or society—both an indistinct mishmash of standard medieval fantasy fare—at all. Most of the opportunities to explore the elements that might make for an interesting setting are squandered or ignored.

If you're feeling nostalgic for Dark Crystal or Henson's aesthetic it's probably still worth a watch, but I'd give it a pass otherwise.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 5, 2019

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I gotta disagree with you hard on that point man. This is Brian Froud's best work. This material has built up over decades, there's so much thought put into every little creature.

The visual world building is great; that's not the part I have an issue with.

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm about halfway through the show and I think it's pretty good so far. Not the greatest thing ever, but good. Some of your criticisms are on point but at least as far as I've watched this one doesn't really seem like we watched the same show.

They're dreamfasting constantly in every episode, except when they believe the lies told by the Skeksis. Seriously every time Rian meets someone he's like dude just dreamfast with me and they say no the Skeksis said not to.

I'm aware of the explanation for why they can't use it in some cases but that explanation only applies to a single character. The nonsensical stuff, both in that regard and in others, starts to pile up in the back half of the season.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Sup thread, throw a coin to your Witcher, it's dumb fun. And also fun dumb.

It took me a while to get over the stunningly awful performance put in by the guy who plays Geralt. Around episode 4 or 5 he improved, the writing improved and he rose to meet it, or I became numb to his ineptitude, but whatever the case it bothered me a lot less in the back half of the season. It was dumb fun the whole way through, though it was more dumb and less fun every time Geralt was on screen for the first half.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched the latest seasons of:
Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Much like the protagonist, this show is "cute as a button". It's fun, beautifully choreographed and there are so many cool cameos now. Watching Tony Shalhoub doing scenes with Jason Alexander is just heartwarming. I am also a big fan of the long scenic shots where a bunch of stuff is happening at once. I still miss some of the darkness and desperation that started the show off; everything seems to be working out just fine for everyone, barring the occasional plot-advancing 'catastrophe', of course. Still, incredibly enjoyable to watch.

The latest season hung onto "enjoyable to watch" status only by the skin of its teeth—I watched the last couple of episodes more out of obligation than desire. It seems like the writers want to settle all of the characters into a comfortable rut so that they can milk this thing for another 7 seasons, but I'm afraid the teet is already running dry.

Meaningful character or plot development is reserved for supporting characters, and for some reason all of the b-plots take up residence within the wacky world of 90's poo poo tier SNL-spinoffs (I repeat myself). The titular Mrs. Maisel spends the second half of the season retreading the first half of the season after an incomprehensible u-turn that I guess is meant to serve as some sort of climax. What was a charming fish out of water story is now just a (cute as a button, I admit) fish doing laps in a bowl. Even on the other side of the b-plot wall the writers seem entirely unwilling to deal with the consequences of whatever dumb poo poo they had the characters do last episode to demonstrate their zany charm. Tony Shalhoub deserves better.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its funny because I could swear Henry Cavil was better in The Tudors, but I guess he didn't have much to do there. Probably better as a side-character than the star.

Maybe it's because I'm not big on movies but I didn't even recognize it as the same guy. To be fair even though I enjoyed The Tudors I don't really remember his character.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ishamael posted:

Does it get better? I love a good fantasy story and was looking forward to this because it looked well-made, but woof. Because it would have to get SO much better to be worth continuing with.

See my post a page back, but in the second episode (I think?) they introduce another character/storyline that isn't so unbearably dull. If you have no interest in seeing it through after episode 3 or so I would just give it a pass.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Shrimpy posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention Lost in Space. Both seasons have been enjoyable.

I don't feel like there's much of anything to be said about it; both seasons have been enjoyable enough though every episode is extremely rote. It's well produced but also just on the right side of becoming bland. I mean, I like it enough to watch it? Also they handled the most annoying character far better in season 2 than in season 1, so that's a plus.

A few people have recommended You to me (on Netflix) but I find the premise decidedly off-putting: Anyone watched it?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

I'd somehow missed that a second season of Britannia had come out in November. Whatever gripes I had about the first season: this one is pretty great! They really leaned into the weird and the comical, focusing more on the fantasy than the historical setting or intrigue, and it works. Great performances as well, and very clever use of music. Really enjoyable tv.

I thought the first season was amazingly awful but I'm interested in if they can actually turn it around. Season 2 doesn't seem to be on Prime, though, despite the internet thinking it's supposed to be.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Just watched the new Dracula from the BBC (that's also on Netflix). It's was entertaining but the pacing is off, and the last episode really fell flat for me (it's 3 episodes with a 1:30 run time). There's a couple of great performances in there, but while I get what it was going for it doesn't quite get there.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Also watched Cheer on Netflix which I think is newish? It's like Last Chance U but less entertaining and more depressing because the students are A) destroying their bodies and B) don't even have any real hopes of getting anything out of it since there is nowhere for them to go with it after college. At least the coach doesn't seem like a total rear end in a top hat? So uh, would not recommend unless you really love the sports reality formula or something.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Watched through Thieves of the Wood on Netflix which was, on the whole, pretty good. There were a few weird bits where things don't quite fit together but I think that might be down to the translation.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Lemony posted:

I made it through season 2 of Altered Carbon and I actually really enjoyed it. It wasn't the best thing ever, but I thought it was mostly really good, save for a few weaker points. It was definitely a little less tight than the first season, but I understand it diverged much more heavily for the novels than the first season did.

I didn't think this was any worse (or better) than the first season in aggregate, and I also didn't think the new lead was any worse (or better) than the previous one. Maybe other people don't remember the first season that well, or maybe I don't remember it that well, but my recollection is that the first season turned to hot wet poo poo for the last couple of episodes and barely limped to the finish line. Season 2 didn't blow my mind, but the quality was pretty consistent.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I finished watching Freud on Netflix which I was expecting to be poo poo but it was actually pretty good, like a period drama someone dipped in Hannibal.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I just got through The English Game on Netflix and despite not giving a poo poo about the game itself it was actually pretty good. It gets a bit rough around the edges in the last couple of episodes but it's executed pretty well throughout.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mrenda posted:

The Wire takes most of a whole season before it points at its own name (The Wire) and shows you what it means, even if it's building up evidence for it all the way to that point.

You motherfuckers are going to make me watch The Wire again.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is Medici on Netflix any good? For me period shows like that either seem to really hit the spot, or kind of suck. I need something to fill the void Dark is leaving. Doesn't have to be the same genre, just something good/well made. Something I can really get absorbed into and binge.

I thought it was pretty decent, yeah. Worth a try if you're into period shows.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Hunters felt a SNL skit of a Quentin Tarantino movie. At least the few episodes I watched. What a disappointment.

Yeah, the tone is extremely confused. At first it seems like it wants to be a mixture of torture and social justice porn—none of the villains are coherent characters but I could at least understand what that show would be going for—then it starts veering in and out of bad meta comedy. It's reminiscent of the mismatch in Mrs. Maisel between the A plots getting played (relatively) seriously and the B/C plots being completely absurd.

It makes me wonder if Amazon is making conflicting demands of showrunners in some kind of bid to get broader appeal out of its slim lineup of original content, particularly because (other than the human chess nonsense) the pilot is more coherent than the rest of the show.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Apparently I was the only person who liked Jupiter's Legacy.

SpeakSlow posted:

It was great, but too much of a slow burn.

I thought it was okay. The costuming and effects were terribly hokey (maybe that's what they were going for), but my real issue was that it took a terribly long time to get nowhere. The plot that occured in the past, in particular, seemed stretched way out to line up the climaxes. Some of that run time could have been justified as characterization if it hadn't failed (with the partial exception of the mother) to deliver depth or development.