Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Un-l337-Pork posted:

My favorite binge was Breaking Bad and now I am fiending for another season.

Funny you should say that, I came here to post the exact same thing after catching up with it yesterday. Breaking Bad is the best show I've watched in a while now, and I even loved the ending of the second season. I didn't realise just how unpopular that ending of S2 was around here until I checked the thread out after finishing the finale, and was immediately put on a bit of a downer so stopped reading it. I really liked the plane crash surprise ending.

So what to watch next? In the last few years I've binged (or am in the process of binging) through, in no particular order:

The Wire
Six Feet Under
Weeds
Battlestar Galactica
Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Stargate SG1 & Atlantis
Farscape
Burn Notice
Dexter
Rome
Generation Kill
Deep Space 9
The Shield
Sons of Anarchy
Bones
Big Love
Supernatural
League of Gentlemen
Buffy & Angel
Being Human
True Blood
How I met your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
X files
Fringe
Medium
Firefly
Eureka
30 Rock
Star Wars Clone Wars (yes yes I know I am a manchild)
V
Terminator Sarahconnorchronicles
Heroes
Pushing Daisies
Reaper
Dollhouse
Californication
Hung
The Office (British, of course)
Babylon 5
Jericho

Holy poo poo that's a lot of hours, no wonder I'm getting fat. I probably missed a few, and there are a couple on there I've not yet finished, but to a greater or lesser degree I enjoyed them all, even the lovely ones like V.

So what are the Glaring Omissions (and I'm not even going think about watching the rest of Lost until it's loving finished!) - stuff that has slipped my attention that, as a happy, absolute TV addict, I really should get on to? Deadwood is on my to-watch list already.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions: I've seen Big love too, edited the list. I was a bit weirded out by that show when in the very first scene the main guy is walking through his home greeting his not one, not two, but three wives, and all their kids, in a totally normal and healthy family-man kind of way. Not weirded out because I think there's anything particularly wrong with Polygamy amongst consenting adults, but because I've never seen anything like that portrayed in such a way on TV before. It took an episode or two for the normalness of it all to click, but the show really forces you to make the adjustment in your mind without making any concessions to what is regarded by general society as a politically incorrect situation.

That is why I love HBO.

Also, I'm not the one to be phased by a weak start to a series if I have it on good faith that it's worth it; Farscape, Dollhouse and SG1 are on that list after all, and Farscape ranks up there as an all-time favourite despite the weak first season. Will check out Avatar (is it anime? :ohdear:)

Edit: Just looked this up on TV.com, the summary:

tv.com posted:

In a lost age, the world is divided into four nations: the Water Tribes, the Earth Kingdom, the Fire Nation, and the Air Nomads. Within each nation, there is a remarkable order of men and women called the "benders" who can learn to harness their inborn talent and manipulate their native element. Bending is a... >more

Benders... I'm actually going to watch this it sounds unintentionally hilarious.

West Wing is a marathon and I will get round to it eventually.

From what I've heard, doesn't Carnivale blue-ball you horribly? This is why I stopped watching Lost until it's completely finished. At least with that I will have closure, eventually.

Rescue me and Damages I've never even heard of; I love stumbling on a show totally blind as to what it's about on a recommendation from somewhere and discovering a gem. That's what happened with Breaking Bad recently.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 5, 2010

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Count Choculitis posted:

I recently got through season 1 of True Blood. It was ok. I'd heard the story was just awesome, and I thought it was good, but I'm used to BSG and Lost and I didn't really think it compared to those. The characters were good though - I LOVE Sam, Sookie is ok when she's not being whiny, and Bill's all right, but Sam is definitely the best. Does the show improve after season 1 or stay about the same?

Season 2 is a little more ridiculous than the first, but I found it a lot of fun to watch. It's a pulpy, guilty pleasure. I'd class it in the same category as Supernatural, although Supernatural seems to take itself less seriously.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Watching Alias now based on a recommendation on the previous page. Really finding the banging psi-trancey soundtrack cool, and pretty hilarious when it's lumped on top of a tense talking scene. Also, HOW DOES SIDNEY NOT BRUISE?!?

I'm only halfway through Season 1 and I can already see just how ridiculously convoluted the plot is going to become with everyone being triple-quadruple-agents and turning out to be each others brothers/sisters/fathers etc. Throw in some mysticism and I can't wait to see the glorious trainwreck this show has the potential to become. Fantastic stuff.

Friday Night Lights keeps getting mentioned in a positive light. I'm willing to check it out, but will the fact I dislike and don't identify with football at all (especially American Football which is completely alien to me since I'm a Brit) detract from my enjoyment of this show?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Dark Weasel posted:

I know Leviathan said it would a little, but it really, really won't. The show is entirely about the characters, and the football scenes- while well-done- are underwritten to the point that you'll be able to understand just about everything.

Plus this current season has had like 4 football game scenes and it might be the best season yet regardless.

Chamberk posted:

I'm hardly the biggest football fan in the world (though I do follow some college ball) but Friday Night Lights is great even if you don't like football. Amazing acting, great characters, pretty much one of the best shows currently on TV.

This is pretty much what I wanted to hear, and what I suspected to be the case, so thanks. I'll definitely start binging this series soon.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Halfway through Alias now, just got past "full disclosure" in season 3. I wanted a ridiculous clusterfuck and that's exactly what I'm getting. Thoroughly enjoying it, and it's interesting to see Abrams getting his taste for cliffhangers and hand-on-mouth "you're making GBS threads me" moments.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

At first I honestly thought you lot getting us to watch Avatar TLAB was some kind of obscure troll, especially given the meaning of the word "bender" in the UK. I read the summary on TV.com and thought it sounded hilarious enough, so decided to happily fall for the troll and gave it a try.

They're not trolling; it's pretty good. I'm about halfway through book 2. I mostly save it for the Saturday mornings I'm not in work to watch in bed and remind myself of being a kid, or for when I'm stoned. Like Clone Wars, I wish this show had been around when I actually was a kid.

I just love how each and every character, even the "bad guys", have depth of character and sensible motivations for the things they do. We've come a long way since Skeletor sat in his castle cackling and wishing he had a mustache to twirl.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That's it this thread is unreadable now since it turned into a Lost spoiler thread. Spare a little consideration for those of us that are waiting until it's finished before resuming watching please.

Anyway, up to the very last episode of Alias, going to start Oz next I think, for a change of tone. Alias rocked, but started to get a little samey and I'm glad it's ended when it has.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've been binging through House the last week, getting towards the end of S2. It is repetitive but it's one of those shows that pulls off being centred around one character magnificently because watching Hugh Laurie be a total prick is so addictive. I found myself having to be careful because I've even started talking to people a bit more sarcastically and abrasively the last few days, and that is a sign of a great actor when some of their character's traits start to actually rub off on you.

Edit: poo poo! S2E17, All In, right at the end I think is the first time I've ever seen House laugh.

Also just now I watched the first two episodes of Misfits and I will echo the sentiment from a few pages back that it is brilliant, like a really gritty down-to-earth version of Heroes. I'm from the UK and listening to the chavs talk makes me piss myself laughing, and yes, in certain parts of the UK that is how they really talk!

"Ow'll kick y'in the oval office so 'ard y'mum'll feel it"

Cactus fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 9, 2011

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Funny how that happens. I only first heard of Terriers while browsing this thread about 24-48 hours ago and since then I've seen it mentioned positively in a couple of places. Is it a frustrating blue-ball of a cancellation like Firefly or does it all wrap up and end nicely? I need to know before starting it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just finished Veronica Mars based on recommendations in this thread, as well as finishing Medium, which I've been watching in the background for a while.

VM: Awesome awesome awesome, all the way through. I was a liker of the tone-shift of S3, it had to happen really, I just wish it hadn't stopped airing there. I'd have loved to see how Veronica's FBI career works out, and with the writers' gift for subverting tropes and avoiding cliche's while using snappy dialogue to make the scenarios we've seen hundreds of times before in other shows seem fresh, they could really have done something good with it.

(spoilered incase anyone else, like me, uses this thread as a recommendation thread)

As for Medium, well, I thought it was overall good with a few great moments, but I'll agree with a previous poster that from time to time it all got a little samey and for that reason will recommend it with the caveat that it's better watched over a longer stretch of time, in-between binges on the better stuff. It could be compared to The BoobGhost Whisperer, which I could only watch a bit of because it was far too sickly-sweet for me; a shame because I really liked the premise. When I heard about Medium, from a 4chan thread of all places, it was described as a darker, more morally ambiguous Ghost Whisperer that I could actually watch without cringing, so I was happy to have found it. I'm genuinely surprised to not be able to find a thread here on it, considering it finished this year.

The best thing about the show is the casting of genuinely likeable, believable characters, even the child actresses. I particularly liked Jake Weber's portrayal of the sceptical engineer and loving husband of the Psychic Detective, never annoyingly outright disbelieving what he sees with his own two eyes Scully-style, but always there as the voice of reason. His on-screen chemistry with Patricia Arquette is genuinely feel-good to watch, and their debates where she is fretting over a dream she just had and he's offering the "rational explanation" are intelligently written. Plus, if you see all 7 seasons through to the end, growing to know and like the characters along the way, you are rewarded with an emotional finale that is in my opinion on a par with 6 Feet Under, with a very bold decision made by the writers and Absolute Closure.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

For my next something-to-watch I decided to give Smallville a chance, starting right at Season one. So far we've had the electric guy, the bug guy, the fire guy, the shape-shifter and now the ice guy...? I'm enjoying it so far on a popcorn level but please tell me it gets a little less cliche as it progresses.

I think I'll make it my background series and the next weekend I have a chance to binge something I'm going to go with either Fringe, Mad Men, or perhaps...

JVO posted:

Did a quick catchup on Justified, something I should have never fallen behind on in the first place. After his awesome work on The Shield, Walton Goggins is just continuing to knock it out of the park. He deserves more recognition.

...this sounds intriguing. I liked the Shield a lot.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Actually I just watched the one with the old woman that could see the future of whoever she touches and the ending, where she sees Lex's future, surprised me in a good way.

I was expecting her to draw away from Lex with a dire warning or a "never darken my door again you monster" remark. I never predicted when she said to Clarke "someone very close to you is going to die soon" that she meant it quite so literally.

I'm not sure I want to know what that Stride Gum factory remark is all about. I can stomach some pretty bad television, as long as I've not had my expectations set for it to be terrible. I can usually gloss over the bad because I want to be enjoying what I'm watching.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah Lost was never meant to be watched weekly with year-long gaps in between seasons, I learned that early on and stopped in between S2 and 3 I think. I have only the last season to go now, I'm just waiting on the person that I watch it with to be available.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I do plan to start Buffy the Vampire slayer though, never paid any attettion to it when it was orignaly on. I also want to find a good Sci-Fi show to watch, any suggestions?

Farscape, BSG, V, Firefly.

One of the above is a joke :v:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SolidRed posted:

Yeah season 3 and 4 sucked but BSG wasn't that bad.

Duh silly I was talking about the one where Rekha Sharma turns out to be... oh wait

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

There is definitely more good than bad in TSCC.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Been heavily binging Smallville, halfway through S2 now and enjoying it. I agree with the general sentiment, it's enjoyable but it's no Buffy. The teenie love-triangle drama gets tedious, as does the whole "MUST KEEP THIS A SECRET FROM YOUR CLOSEST FRIENDS AT ALL COSTS" angle. I really can't wait for him to fall out with Lex, let's get some antagonism in here. I also like that it doesn't draw too heavily from the original Superman stuff, I was never really into the movies and didn't read comics.

mr. unhsib posted:

So...I just started watching Andromeda. I don't know why. I'm about 7 episodes in.

So far it's about 95% cheap Star Trek-knockoff (and I do mean cheap, lord the special effects are bad) but every now and then they do hit you with some cool sci-fi ideas.

I think I'm committed...someone tell me what I'm in for.

Edit - the quotes before episodes are a nice touch.

I honestly couldn't get past the first two or three episodes of this. I think at the time I'd just come off watching Farscape, and was searching for something to replace my sci-fi fix. Talk about an abrupt downward shift. If anyone here can sell it though I'd be willing to give it a second chance since the last proper sci-fi I saw was the comically terrible V 2009. I'm now in a much better position to be receptive to merely bad sci-fi (as opposed to the poo poo encrusted abortion that was V S2) than I was then. Best thing about V was that it prompted me to find an old naked clip of Morena Baccarin actually acting competently in a different genre, which I dutifully posted in the V thread, so for that reason I was glad I watched it.

Gravy Jones posted:

with episodic procedurals there's not usually much to say about them week-in week-out so they don't tend to have active threads.

I find these more suit "Let's Watch" retrospective threads after they're aired. I'm having a lot of fun and nostalgia reading the X-files one that's going on at the moment.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yup, first time watching Smallville. Just got to S5, I see what you all mean now, ohgod, vampires?!? Seriously?

sigh...

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

It gets better! I swear! When you hit season 7 it goes up in awesomeness.

You're so right! Up to about halfway through season 8 now and it has consistently ramped up the awesome and entertained me. In fact, I would go as far as to rescind my previous comments about Smallville season 5 and 6 because apart from a couple of utterly inexcusable terrible episodes sprinkled in here and there, the main story arcs were pretty drat cool. I particularly liked "Promise", and of course the episode where Clarks dad dies, so forgive me for using a tired old phrase and branding the vast majority of what I've read here about these two seasons as hyperbolic Goonsay.

EDIT:

Cocks Cable posted:

I am watching Farscape for the first time and I'm in the middle of season 1. While it's been mildly entertaining so far (enough to continue watching it), will it get better? Will it reach some of the awesome heights of story-telling like BSG or DS9? Some of the better episodes so far have been the one with the sorcerer and the one with the creepy geneticist.

So far it seems that plots are very formulaic with each episode focusing on one of the aliens and pairing them with Crichton who's unique lack of understanding the fantastical world around him manages to save them time and again. I understand that Crichton is suppose to be the audience's character but his bumbling mary-sue shtick is starting to grow a bit old. Please tell me they break out of this mold eventually.

Also, how long will they drag out the will-they/won't-they thing with Aeryn?

Farscape really rocks. You have already got past the worst bit. This is a sci-fi show that prides itself on being Star-Trek's antithesis. They pour petrol over that big annoying reset button and light the match; there are real, series-spanning consequences to events that occur in random monster of the week episodes. Chrighton does break out of his newcomer mould and without giving too much away goes a bit insane with it. Scorpius is a bad guy on a par with a Wire character; you understand his motivations and even come to empathise with him a bit, while still routing against him because you like the good guys more. Even though none of them are particularly likeable... I can't really describe it very well but you'll see what I mean.

Just make sure you have the film Peacekeeper Wars ready to watch after S4, because like Firefly, it leaves everything hanging, and they made that film to tie up all the loose ends after it's cancellation.

Also the title sequence gets an update for S3&4 and is loving brilliant:

"My name is John Chrighton, I'm an astronaught"

Ok one more edit, I'll give an example of why I love this show:

Go to 3:25 on this clip and watch that scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWZtoWApLyc
They are stuck in a small container after having being shrunk to a fraction of their normal size. She attempts to technobabble why shrinking just isn't possible and Rigel shoots her down and tells her to grow the gently caress up. I don't know why this scene stuck with me, it isn't particularly memorable, but when I first saw this I laughed out loud and rejoiced in the fact I wasn't watching Star Trek, where they would've technobabbled how the shrinking might be possible, and then followed up with more technobabble for how to get out of it.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 30, 2011

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

jfballin posted:

Alias. Really got into the first and (most of) the second seasons, but am now half way through season 3 and am really struggling with taking the plot seriously. Is this series a downhill slope?

I liked Alias, was a while ago I saw it though now. It gets absolutely ridiculous the further along it goes, but at the time that is what I wanted so I loved it. If a total clusterfuck isn't what you're after stop watching now before it falls beyond redemption. Otherwise just take it for the adrenaline fuelled 24-on-acid-with-psitrance it is and roll with it, if anything to see (last season spoiler) the horrendous fate they bestow upon Sloan

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just got done with Stargate Universe.

I'm really disappointed it got canned. The first season I found was nowhere near as bad as was made out, and the second was legitimately good, that finale really left me wanting more. I'm actually quite gutted :smith:

I really liked the feel of the show. While the other Stargates had this deliberately cheesy self-mocking humor, Universe made the decision to move away from that and for me the more serious tone really worked, and it's my favorite of all of them. It nailed the sense of really being lost out there in the unknown, and I thought Destiny's mission when it was revealed, was compelling. Though I can see why some, especially those wanting it to be SG-1 again, wouldn't have liked it.

At least SGU left in a good enough position to be revived one day. In fact, due to the nature of the cliffhanger a very long hiatus would fit right in with the storyline. Is there any chance, any rumors or whispers at all, of this franchise ever coming back? It was getting really good again!

I just wish the more disappointing stuff like V and Falling skies had aired first so some of the more difficult to please people would have realized a good thing while they had it... nah who am I kidding. They'd have whined and raged and picked it apart and wrote their blogs and their forum posts just the same.

I'd love to see HBO do a hard sci-fi show but with the same calibre of set design, effects, casting, characterization, multi-layered plotting etc that we see in it's other premium quality shows, you all know the ones I don't have to name-drop them.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I honestly thought your spoiler was going to say Aimee then.

edit: that was episode four wasn't it?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I wanted some light entertainment to fall asleep to so I started watching Chuck. It's not the trainwreck I thought it would be based on some opinions I read on these very boards, but I fail to grasp what about the show warrants the obsessive devotion it gets from its fans. The best thing I'll say about it is that it's entertaining enough for me to put another episode on because I'm not asleep yet. And that the female cast members are excellent eye-candy.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Don't worry, your opinion is the correct opinion.

My favorite parts of the show were always the Buy More parts. I wish they would've just dropped all the stupid spy poo poo and made it into a half hour comedy about the Buy More employees.

Heh, I'm the opposite, I like all the stupid spy stuff and roll my eyes impatiently at the buy more b-plots. But then, that's the great thing about opinions; they're all correct.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Fooz posted:

Why is everyone such a dick about Lost? This kind of thing comes up at every mention of it in this thread. Just let them watch the show drat it. Its not as if there's nobody that likes it.

Short answer? They're just butthurt it didn't end the way they wanted. That combined with the fact it's still really popular and critically acclaimed.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Chamberk posted:

Just finished Breaking Bad season 2. drat. And season 3's even better?

Breaking Bad is one of those rare shows that just keeps on raising the bar even when you think it can't be raised any further. I'd normally be a bit weary of it continuing for much longer in-case it jumps the shark but in this case I have absolute faith in the writers of that show.

Ok. Admitting this is going to make me into a big girl but I've been watching Being Erica and it's become kind of a guilty pleasure. If you can get past the girly rom-com trappings and horrible music it is a surprisingly intelligent, mature, progressive and uplifting show that has a slight sci-fi twist to it.

The general gist is that the main character, Erica, is in a bad place in her life when she meets a therapist who has the ability to transport her back in time so she can re-live and correct certain regrets in her life. The time travel aspect does come into play plot-wise (i.e. it isn't just used for the setting, the fact the past is being changed does matter and have consequences) but it isn't overdone and they wisely don't focus too much on the whole paradox and what-are-the-rules-of-time-travel stuff. Also, in later seasons some of the regrets are stuff that happened earlier in the show so there are some nice callbacks.

I'd love to be able to say I watched it with MY GIRLFRIEND so I could be all cool on the internet but I'm single at the moment; if I wasn't I can well imagine this being that show she gets me to watch with her and I secretly start to like it but won't admit it.

It certainly isn't for everyone but I can recommend it if you like uplifting light entertainment with some good old-fashioned life-affirming messages. The format does get a bit regret-of-the-week at times, but the show is generally serialized and the characters grow and progress, circumstances change, and they've hinted at starting to explore the mythology about these therapists with their powers and what that is all about. Or should I say "aboot".

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought the last season was by far the weakest, and I was ambivalent about the ending, but I enjoyed seasons 4 and 5 (far) too much to regret watching the show beyond the first season.

Yeah it did kind of fizzle out a bit toward the end but I'd certainly never say it isn't worth watching because of that.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Homeland is the latest one I've powered through. It's excellent, and earns it's place in the top-tier of shows alongside Breaking Bad, Wire, Sopranos, SFU etc. Can't wait to watch the finale tonight after work.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Argh stop it I still have 3 hours left in work! Goddamn.

Seriously it's great to hear they didn't gently caress up the finale.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Started Cougar Town, got a few episodes left in the first season. It's true what they say, somewhere around the halfway point of the first season, it just..... gets a lot better. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, maybe the jokes are funnier, or maybe I'm warming to the characters more, I don't know. Entertaining though, worth watching.

The only thing that had me rolling my eyes is Courtney Cox worrying about how old and unattractive she is. No love, you're Courtney Cox :rolleyes:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tailored Sauce posted:

Flying through Dollhouse. Have about 4 episodes left on season 2.

So did I very recently and thought it was really good, despite the criticisms it gets. It starts off ropey, but that's just a trait of the premise. The main character is being built from scratch throughout the whole series, starting as a blank slate in episode 1, ending up as "Echo" by the end, and the second season had some cool Whedon-esque plotlines and character development.

So many of Joss Whedon's shows get canned by networks despite being popular, maybe he's a nightmare to work with or something, who knows. Does he have anything else in the pipeline apart from that terrible sounding Avengers movie?

Regarding Breaking Bad: when you take into account the history between the two characters involved in that fly episode, some of the dialogue in that episode is among the tensest the show has to offer. I was personally on the edge of my seat.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think we have different definitions of "popular".

A lot of people like what he does v:shobon:v that satisfies my definition at any rate.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

xerxus posted:

I would classify SG1/Atlantis as Scifi/Action/Adventure.
Stargate Universe would be Scifi/Drama.

There's nothing wrong with that if you enjoy that kind of show. I think the producers pretty much stated that there's going to be a huge tonal shift. Personally, I was tired of the 15 seasons of SG1/A formula, so Universe was a welcomed change.

I really liked SG-U and got so sick of everyone that disliked it saying how boring and over-trodden the whole "dark dramatic sci-fi" angle was, and that they were just "copying BSG". To my knowlege, BSG was the only dark dramatic sci-fi show of that nature around. One show. Yeah really overdone genre, that, and the fact it influenced SG-U was a great thing to me, as a fan of BSG. It filled the hole that BSG left behind.

I was sad when I got to the end of the 2nd season, by whichtime it had found its feet, fleshed out characters, scrapped most of the annoying things about the 1st season and gotten really great, and I knew there would never be any more. Although it wasn't strictly speaking a cliffhanger, I really wanted to see what happened next. Not only that, it flopping like it did could well discourage that style of sci-fi from being done for a good long while. A grand shame all around.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I shouldn't have gone into the teen melodrama thread :(

In a fit of nostalgia I just binged My So-Called Life, and am now devouring Roswell and Gilmore Girls. I'm starting to feel over emotional and wistful, which simply will not do. I need to watch something that will re-harden my soul and return me to the cynical loveless husk I've spent years becoming. Any suggestions?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Thanks. Although I've seen half of those I've never ever heard of moral oral so I'll check it out later.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just binged Wilfred Season 1 and it was a lot more addictive than I thought it would be from reading the premise.

If you like your comedy really really dark, and you prefer laugh out loud moments to occur inside your head rather than actually laughing out loud (except for the episode featuring the stuffed giraffe - I defy anyone not to outwardly laugh at that), as well as the show having an intriguing and mysterious mythology that slowly unfolds without revealing too much, watch Wilfred.

Elijah Wood as a probably crazy, suicidal stoner falling into bad influence works surprisingly well. The whole show has an eerie, funny, uncomfortably familiar, hosed up vibe to it that I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is about it that makes it work so well.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

You're probably not going to listen to me, but you should watch The Vampire Diaries.

Listen to this advice, it is really good. One thing to bear in mind: the first 3 or 4 episodes are your standard horrible teeny-bopper vampire slash fare. There's an annoying crow, a sappy start to a love story, awful diaries that are read out loud, a horrible pop soundtrack, and MIST in GRAVEYARDS.

Don't be fooled. These first episodes are necessary to introduce everything, but they're not representative of the series at all. After those initial episodes, it's as if the writers took a step back and said to each other "Why are we making this cheesy poo poo when we could be making something good?" and with that they ditch the annoying stuff, crank the pacing to 11 and never look back.

Plus there's a certain character arc that is beloved by everyone that watches it. You'll know it when you get there.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

RUBICON RUBICON RUBICON

It starts out kind of weird (it had a different showrunner for the first couple eps I think), but man does it get good. The last 3 eps are some drat good tv.

But then it got canceled so that AMC could make ~*~The Killing~*~. Correlation = causation imo.

I've seen Rubicon recommended in a number of places, and I've seen it compared to Homeland. I loved Homeland because of a number of reasons, one being the flawed strength and charisma of the main character which Clare Danes should be given a lifetime achievement award for portraying, others being the tight plotting, progressive depiction of religion and a willingness to have events take place during an episode (The Weekend) that completely change the gameplan of the entire series.

Is Rubicon like that at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just finished parenthood and am in the mood for more good family drama. I liked that the characters were realistic and consistent, their interactions felt natural. None of the drama or situations were manufactured through people being stupid or not communicating. Similar shows I've already seen and would recommend are six feet under, being Erica, Friday night lights. What else is out there?