Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I miss machine gun bows so much. It was so fun to run around with twenty stacks of arrows and do strafing runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Slanderer posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure why he didn't break out, jump to his death, and make the long run back to where he fell. Apparently, he was spergy enough to complain about being trapped for a while, and then just quit the server.

Alternately, just keep a bucket of water on you and do the water parachute trick. (For anyone who doesn't play minecraft, because of the way water works you can deploy a water source block from a bucket of water, scoop it back up, and safely ride the blocks of flowing water it spawns down to the ground. It's an easy way to get down from anything)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Double Monocle posted:

"Lacking a proper ring, I decided to propose with a boat"

DELETEEEE THISSSSSSS

Im sorry gentlemen, this is the pinnacle.

TKing does never get old, but I think my favorite is griefing the other team. I had a game of CS:GO earlier where this guy was dominating gun game to the point that he declared that he was done playing gun game, and was switching to knife game. He then proceeded to win gun game using only his loving knife while some little kid on the other team screamed at everyone about what a cheating _________ (insert whatever you want, he said it at some point) this guy was. It was glorious, he was griefing the other team and making them ragequit en masse by just being so god drat good.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is Age of Wushu actually worth playing or is it terrible like EVE and every other MMO ever?

I am SORELY tempted to join up

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm fuckin sold. This looks kind of like WoW combat (which I actually like) meets EVE brutality (which I love). I'm truly excited to join the GoonTang Clan, be part of the Mongoonian Horde, and fight for the glory of Mother Afgoonistan.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

I don't have the time for MMOs nowadays but holy christ this game looks awesome.

You actually have time for this if you have, oh, an hour a day to play if you want to progress in just about everything every day, half an hour if you want to focus on just a couple things, and like five minutes a day if you really, really don't have time and just want to login, do a little basic maintenance, and log out.

Part of the beauty of the game is that it is legitimately not grindy. You level EVE style (if you don't pay a sub, you have to be logged in but can be afk) where just existing gets you levels, it can be sped up significantly by logging in once every day and mashing buttons to burn some in-game money to speed it up (takes five minutes), can be sped up even more if you do the DDR minigame (takes like half an hour to an hour to get a group together and finish, if you do it with Goons). There's endless amounts of poo poo to do, but for basic "I just want to be able to punch people effectively," that's about it. Also it is only pay to win in the same way that EVE is - you can throw some money their way for some minor nice things, and gaining any actually significant advantage is prohibitively expensive. We had a Goon throw money at the game to catch up on everyone who was about three weeks ahead of him, and the last estimate I heard was that he had to blow something like six hundred bucks for it. I imagine a fully maxed out character would cost at least a few grand.

I swore off MMOs a long time ago because they were either grindy, boring, carebear, or all three, and Age of Wushu is my literal perfect MMO. Combat is fun, you can get by on very little time per day if you want (leveling all the gathering skills is the most time consuming thing I've done so far), and it is a never ending fountain of pubbie tears. The griefing is beautiful and profitable and :swoon:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ariong posted:

Ha ha ha, that's the better part of a month for a free to play player.

Nope, the hour a day thing is only while the game is in closed beta! And it switches to open beta come February 1st. F2P mostly just gets boned on having to be logged in all day to get their skills up and only getting 70 percent XP conversion. The game is actually pretty legit, for the most part.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

1stGear posted:

How harsh are the system requirements? I'm going to be limited to my laptop with an integrated Intel HD 4000 card, would it be able to run the game?

So its open now?

No idea, but unlimited play beta keys are literally a dime a dozen. Goons post several thousand key giveaways in the thread pretty regularly

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

This game sounds like the most unsustainable MMO in the world (or the best, I can't even tell anymore). How are they planning on keeping people playing this game obviously made for horrible trolls.

EVE is the same way, really, except there getting hosed over by another player and dying means hours and hours of grinding to get the money for a fresh ship. At least here it's just immediate frustration with little/no serious and longterm repercussions

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Wild T posted:

Since I've started to get pretty bored of Black Ops II, I've begun my usual late-game cycle of screwing around with the goofiest classes I can think of. Since the average kid playing Call of Duty on 360 takes the game way too seriously, you'll typically end up seeing entire teams based around the same few weapons, perk setups, equipment and play style.

One of the most common tactics used by the pro gamer crowd is to simply hide in a convenient corner with a silenced submachine gun. Conveniently, the game gives you an unprecedented amount of anti-camping gear that almost nobody uses. Cue a friend and I playing using perks that allow us to see enemy equipment through the walls, basically pointing out where any enemy players will be hiding. We each built a class that revolves around making us near immune to equipment (Flak Jacket, Hard Wired and Tactical Mask) and carrying assault shields. The assault shield is simply a large, bulletproof riot shield that is almost universally hated because it's slow, the area of coverage is quite tiny and it takes two melee hits to kill an opponent (whereas a regular knife is a one hit kill). What it does have going for it is that you can camouflage it solid gold and create an emblem that is prominently displayed on the front, making it hands-down the most hysterical way to beat someone to death.

We spent about an hour and a half running in tandem around the map like the world's smallest phalanx, trapping camping enemies into corners using golden shields with a pink heart and 'GAY MEN' emblazoned on the front. It got to the point where we would stop beating players to death, and simply box them in as long as we could before one of their teammates could shoot us in the back and rescue them. Camping teammates were also fair game, and had the advantage of letting us face shields outward (friendly fire is disabled in most modes), trapping them while also protecting them from being killed by enemies and respawning elsewhere. Their only recourse was to eat their own grenade, which meant losing their kill streak - an unthinkable alternative for many players. A young British gentlemen we had been harassing said it best as he ran from the two of us: 'Get away from me you fuckers, I don't want to go back to Gay Prison!'

You had me at solid gold with pink hearts. This reminds me of people talking about using Riot Shields in one of the old versions of Counterstrike to take people hostage on servers

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Corbeau posted:

That sounds less like griefing and more like the best game ever designed.

That's honestly my favorite part about this game. There's so much to be done to grief pubs through completely legitimate in-game mechanics. My own (much less awesome and sweeping) story was of a simple brawl. I was getting a group ready to run an instance, some guy who has an e-honor bone to pick with me tried to gank me with a friend. One of my guys jumps in, we trash them. They come back with more dudes and kill us and corpse camp us as best they can, but soon get bored and leave. I find one of them and kill him again, because gently caress him.

He puts a bounty on my head - small, but money is money - so after I run my instance, I go to a safe spot, log in my alt that can hunt bounties, and kill myself, springing up a global message "The criminal known as Magres. has been captured by Magres..!" I then get an angry PM from sir pubbelorde about what a cheap bastard I am for harvesting my own bounty.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Man, Dark Souls does the EXACT same thing. There are about half a dozen Black Knight enemies throughout the early game. They're perfectly killable at level one if you know what you're doing, but will murder you repeatedly if you don't. They each have a chance to drop whatever weapon that particular knight uses, as well as their shield, but none of the ones early in the game respawn.

Of maybe a dozen characters I have made, I have never had Black Knight weapons on the half dozen big stupid fighters I've made, and have had at least one drop on the majority of the mages I have made, because :darksouls:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RatHat posted:

Criken gathered a bunch of people and did some Creative Griefing in the Prison Break mod of Counter-strike.

This is wonderful, I love how reactions shift from "Oh god how are there so many people" to "THEY'RE COMING FOR US" to "Wait... no they're not... what the hell is going on!?"

My favorite griefs are the ones that leave people just bewildered and scratching their head.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm on the fence about this one...is it a Proper Grief if you were just adding to the magic of a gimmick server? Actually I'm kidding: this is totally a grief, and a good one. I guess I have a soft spot for stories where people choose to rage instead of just switching servers.

I love that they rage at the loss of their power to dominate the entire server, because they're a bunch of assholes for trying to show off LEET FPS SKILLZ on a gimmick server.

It'd be an excellent gimmick to get a Kritz medic, a Holidy Punch Heavy, and two uber medics together on a normal server to do an invincible critting Heavy to charge in and make everyone laugh. The Heavy could be named "The Killing Joke."

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 24, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

The Griefing Discussion Thread: I decided that I was the equivalent of a raid boss

That's was a great read :allears:

Can this please be our new thread title? That story was loving amazing

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Haha, it's like the Psychotic Prankster trick from Fallout 3 and New Vegas but multiplier, that's great

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dreggon posted:

Loveable, trustworthy Patches story

I love DaS CosPvP stories so much, and I love that Dark Souls pretty much gives you carte blanche to go grief pubbies.

I, personally, like Dickwraithing because I am a colossal jerk and it's an easy way to blow off some steam and laugh at angry angry nerds. (Dickwraithing involves slogging through the game enough at minimum level to get a bunch of gear that is much stronger than you would have on a normal playthrough of the game, then invading and generally one or twoshotting invadees because your gear is so strong.)

My favorite story by far was the day I invaded "Z3rg Kill3r." I find him, wave like we're gonna duel like nice pubs, then send him a message spouting e-honour and avenging the noble zerg peoples he has harmed and wronged. I type up a quick message to have ready, then sprint at him and shank him in the back, instantly killing him, then bring back my message and send it to him. The message? "ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE"

He was maaaaddd

My other decent story is being a holy acolyte of Gwyn, Lord of Flame and DANCING! ALWAYS DANCING! I'd invade people, set up a circle of shiny little lights at the bottom of a ladder leading up to a boss door, then send my invadees a message along the lines of "GWYN, LORD OF FLAME AND DANCING DEMANDS A SACRIFICE. DANCE AND BE SPARED, REFUSE AND DIE BY FIRE." Pretty straightforward, right? For most people, it certainly was, and I had a lot of fun dancing around and dropping items for my dancerbros. But about once every ten Dancevasions, someone just didn't get it, would tell me to gently caress off, try to climb my most sacred of ladders, then die horribly to fire spam and rage at me for using high end gear in lowbie invasions. I love DaS so much :allears:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The Goon Bookball is such a thing of beauty, it's a loving meatgrinder when pubs try to stop us. They'll come two or three or maybe even five or ten at a time and get absolutely SLAUGHTERED because no one can organize large numbers of hapless idiots like Goons can.

Goons: We're a bunch of idiots and terrible at games, but by god we're going to murder you with our organizational skills.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

This is amazing.

Man, I've seen it at least a few times before from the DaS thread, and it just never gets old. The switch from cheerful, jolly music to MURDERKILLMAIMKILLDEATHKILL is so good

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Something from a couple days ago in Wushu. On Friday night, the GMs decided to run a "Hunt a GM" type event. They used the in game bounty system, where you can put a cash bounty on the head of someone who has killed you, to put massive bounties on themselves (over three times as big as actual players can put on each other). Obviously, the pubs were all gungho to go murder the GMs and make a quick buck.

And of course, Goons simply could not let this come to pass, and became the GMs' secret service protection detail. We ran around in a big ball murdering anyone who went near our precious, precious GMs. At first the GMs had no idea what the hell we were doing and wouldn't listen to us when we told them to come with us so we could guard them better, probably making the reasonable assumption that we were just trying to bait them to somewhere private so we could easily take the bounty for ourselves. After getting a GM isolated by chance and setting up a protective perimeter, though, they realized we were on the level. GM_Scorch turns to Jerkjerk, the guy running the show on the Goon end, and says "So, where we going?"

We took our new President to the throne room of the imperial city, set him up on the giant golden throne, and held the line for a solid twenty minutes against all the pubbies trying to break in and murder our protectee, screaming battlecries for the glory of Mr. President (or Madam President for some of the female avatars). I have seen many things, I have never seen pubbies accuse Goons of kissing up to GMs. I don't think they realize that our goal wasn't to kiss up to the GMs, it was to sew as much chaos and havoc as possible.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That sucks, I always loved how Saturday Morning Breakfast Cartoon Villain-esque it was.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I love you so much, Angry Diplomat. If you ever need a crew to help pull off a grief, pm me and I'm in.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RNG posted:

yesssssss

Not really a video game grief, but using two or three accounts on AIM to warn people to 100% was fantastic. Shut down accounts for over a day for the crime of saying "hi" back to someone.

You monster! How dare you cut off teenagers from their friends for a WHOLE DAY!? That's like a decade in teenager years!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's like the only thing Mumble is good for, there's always at least a few Goons you can drive up the wall with text-to-speech shenanigans. It's so fun to do on Troll's mumble

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Come play Wushu, so you too can be part of the Mongoonian Horde that continues to pillage and plunder all of Ancient China. We are officially one of the most powerful guilds on the server, and are beginning to flush our enemies out from their homes, much to their rage.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CraigK posted:

HOW TO GRIEF DOTA: ~3 Easy Steps~

1. Pick this guy.
2. Go in lane and wait until level 6. Make sure to have at least one point in your Tether (first skill, Q) and one in your Relocate. (ultimate, R)
3. When level 6, get tethered to a particularly rear end in a top hat-y member of your team.
4. Put them on this cliff:

located here:

5. Enjoy your low-priority queue while you play a better game.

I mean, that's not exactly hard to escape if you're not terrible. Courier a teleport scroll out then check the "Disable Help" box to keep it from happening again. Wisp griefing isn't particularly original or hard to stop (and the more fun grief is to warp them into the enemy fountain, anyway)

The better grief is to grab four friends, everyone gets Dagon (an item that gives you a nuke on a moderate cooldown), refuse to buy boots (an item that makes you run faster), then the five of you stroll around pretending to be Southern Gentlemen, shooting those drat Yankees with your muskets and talking about how the women back home make better sweet tea than these confounded Northerners. You'll almost certainly lose, but drat if it isn't fun to do and funnier than hell.

Regarding the DotA/LoL forever war, I have no problem with LoL players (I've played about 1500 games of it and got pretty good before bouncing back to DotA when DotA 2 released), I have a problem with Riot, for reasons I won't go into because it would lead into an endless argument. Most DotA players I know don't really give a poo poo if people play League, we just dislike Riot for actively trying to piss on our game.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 11, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Chain RGs are just the class that can most effectively abuse lag and are thus infuriating to fight. You have to facehug them and lag makes them teleport off when you catch them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I definitely agree with RG and Beggar having the best instant gratification, but would say if you want to play long term and make a character that will eventually be an invincible Goku, Wudang is your best bet. They're the best base class for making a multiclassing powerhouse monster. If you want to know why, ask in the Wushu thread and we can do mmo math sperging there, I don't want to poo poo up this thread with it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

spootime posted:

Not so much griefing as it is just playing in a creative style but I've played against this guy in lobbies and he is really good. That being said fan scout is legit as gently caress.

Fan was so overpowered for a while that a lot of servers banned it. The knockback wasn't dependent on how many pellets actually landed, so even a grazing hit on someone would send them flying (it also did WAY too much damage to be balanced). It was so good for griefing snipers, I would go to 2fort and launch them off their stupid little balcony without killing them, just to be a jackass.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The thing is, if you use a "suboptimal" strat and people have no idea how the gently caress to deal with it, it is then actually a strong strategy. Just because it's gimmicky and will lose to someone who knows how to fight it doesn't make it useless. drat near any strat will lose if people know exactly how to fight it, it's just that some are harder to learn to deal with than others

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Why not just repick? Bloodseeker is such a miserably lovely hero to play. Play someone fun like Skeleton King instead and just do neverending MANMODE DEATH CHARGE! It's the best poo poo ever

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBsdWW7MOew

You can actually make some pretty funny poo poo in it. That thing is HORRIFYINGLY creepy.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That'd be pretty great, you can do some loving amazing gimmicks with a dozen people coordinating over Mumble.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What, I love getting indicted! It means I get to murder blue dudes too.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I mean, it does ostensibly make crybabies feel better about getting murdered (PvP is entirely optional in that game, you can only be invaded if you are in Human form, which is optional), but the spot they're fighting in is one of a few "this is where everyone goes to duel" type spots. Some people will indict because "yay more fighting" but now that I'm off my phone and can watch the vid, that was definitely a rage indict. Dude was mad that he stopped being able poo poo up duels with his infinite health, maxed stats bullshit for a moment.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Uba Stij posted:

My only non-serious guess is that they're obsessed with Reddit and think Karma equates to real life popularity.

That's pretty much it - everyone likes to have other people tell them their ideas are good. Karma is a way to numerically represent approval on the internet for people who need to try to turn human interaction into a number.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's been said before. TTT players are, by and large, idiots who don't want to ever want to die for any reason. I once got a "warning slay" because I successfully deduced who the traitor was based on the fact that 1) I was with the guy beside me the entire round, 2)the traitor I killed had low health and 3) it was only us 3 alive at the time.

Logic is worse than hacking :colbert:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

It's almost as if they're not taking their janky Chinese online grief toolkit seriously.

We take vomiting wine on people extremely seriously :colbert:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

tomanton posted:

One time as a near-death and known traitor I talked my traitor buddy into killing me so my inevitable death would give him a cover nobody would question. He went on to fool/dunk everyone and win us the round with 9 kills, and got kicked at the end of it for killing an ally.

That is such unbelievable amounts of bullshit that they kicked him for that - throwing a fellow traitor who's in a bad spot under the bus is one of the most classic and beautiful tactics in a game of Mafia, to the point that I've won games of Mafia because I said "Hey, woah now, you called him being a traitor WAY too confidently. Guys, lynch this fucker, he was just throwing his friend under the bus." and gotten it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

You can still change your name at will. And it's not hard to raise the ire of a bunch of shut-in, hateful teenagers with a carefully chosen nickname. Sometimes you don't even have to do anything, the name is enough.

"in my butt" is and always has been the best name to use in TTT. It got posted earlier, but holy gently caress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6YVmBXUaRM deserves reposting. It's a minute and a half long and it's just nonstop stupid, immature hilarity.

e:f,b

• Locked thread