Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
This was one of the few releases I was actually looking forward to, being as it was a Superhero movie with an original storyline, not one imported from a comic book or an old TV series. And on that front, it succeeds; while the story, taken as a whole, is hardly new territory for Hollywood, it does play around a bit with the standard conventions of the Superhero genre, and for that much I appreciated it well enough.

Will Smith plays John Hancock, a surly, belligerent, unshaven bum who just happens to have superpowers and feels the need, every now and then, to use them to stop criminals, often causing millions of dollars' worth of property damage in the process. After saving the life of idealistic publicist Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman), Ray offers to help him improve his image to earn the respect and adoration of the public Ray feels Hancock deserves.

To that end, the movie takes relatively few risks. One thing that rings odd is the progression of the various action scenes. Early parts feature car chases, explosions, and similar mayhem, the latter sequences seem tame by comparison. Otherwise, the story moves at a decent pace, and there are some pretty cool scenes that one doesn't fully appreciate until after the movie's over. When the ending comes, it feels as if the writers were faced with a choice of two cliches, and as such I can almost guarantee that when the DVD for this movie is released, it will come with an alternate ending wherein they take the OTHER cliche.

Bottom line, it wasn't particularly BAD, it just wasn't particularly good either. Snazzy special effects are brought down by an overall lackluster presentation, but there's enough to hold most moviegoer's interests to the ending credits.

Under the old rating system, I'd have given this movie a 2.5/5. As such, I'll round it up to 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU