Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

I wish I had a macro :(. Maybe I'll borrow one from work. They're always using my telephoto anyway.

Why are you so mean to the creatures of the forest? Calling them names and such. :(

Edit: I hate spiders but this is adorable.
Then he looked at me like "WHY YOU DO DIS?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

Stair Destroyer posted:

Insect, although dead. Still probably one of the coolest creatures I have ever seen. I saw two more really amazing insects, but could not get a proper photo of them

That looks more like a chrysalis to me and if it is it's probably not dead.

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

ursa_minor posted:

Awesome! I know that's the abbreviated version - but this is my first camera other than the little coolpix I got for christmas once. I have a ton of pictures, so I'll try and keep it updated.

When you set it to A, you're setting Aperture priority. That way, the rest of your settings will adjust as usual but you get to set your aperture how you want.

If you want your camera to do most of the work for you but you have a little freedom shoot in P. You can adjust your ISO and some other settings or just let your camera decide.

I'm not sure what camera you have but most high-end SLRs will allow you to change the area you're focusing on. On the Nikon I know it's just the round button with the 4 arrow directions. Look through your lens, autofocus and then use your thumb to adjust up, down, left, right where you want the focus to be and you will see a little black square move around to the points. Then focus again and shoot.

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

What the heck, I'll post some crappy pictures I took in high school when I was still back home. Since these were the critters in my backyard...

Not exactly wild, but gotta love a baby face.

Why you wanna rope us?

This was all taken at my Godfather's branding. (linked for huge)
https://wi.somethingawful.com/ed/ed48f5345c04a55b50e49da797b9adf44aa5c280.jpg

A Portuguese Man-O-War. "I'm probably dead but screw you guys I'm still stingin' poo poo." Fuckin' jellyish.

Sorry for the lame Photoshop thing...just some Koi.

I really want to take some pictures around here now. Especially since I don't completely suck at taking pictures anymore.

TigerMoJo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 9, 2008

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

drat you double post!

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

Part of Everything posted:

See now, THESE jellies are pretty. I wouldn't mind one of those blundering into me. The Man o' War though, even if it wasn't poisonous, looks rubbery and like it would ooze thick sticky stuff on me that I wouldn't be able to get off.

I guarantee you that they look just as gross and rubbery when washed up on the beach. :colbert:

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

flutterbyblue posted:

Would you and the others who have taken pictures of the jellyfish mind if I used them to hang up around my house. I have no intention of trying to sell them or anything. I just think jellyfish are awesome, and I wanted to at least ask permission before I used someone else's work for decoration.

I don't know if you want mine but I don't care if you use it. :3:

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

flutterbyblue posted:

Thanks! It's one of my favorite jellyfish pics. I love blue, and for some reason dead jellyfish are neat.

Haha well glad you like it. And it's black sand that it's on if you were wondering, not dirty ashtray since it kinda looks like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

Snoodle Pants posted:

If you have a macro lens, you can get a hell of a lot of better pictures than those. Don't get me wrong, those are great shots, but don't be afraid to get up close and personal with your subject. and don't forget to take Auto Focus off, so you can get the right focus on whatever you're filming. The ants in my last post are with a macro lens...so go wild, and enjoy being so close

ninja edit: I felt like an inspirational speaker when I typed that. I just lost respect for myself.

On a good SLR, autofocus should work fine honestly.