Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Hooray for bug shots. Very cool pics OP!

I'll take the time to pimp a few of mine I just took recently, nothing real outlandish, I'm not having the best of luck finding the weirdo bugs right now. Or well, at least ones that want to cooperate and let me get into position.

Ants are such a pain in the rear end to take pictures of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Fantastic thread! All the pictures so far are really awesome.

I took this a bit after I posted the first batch of photos to this thread:

I'm still waiting to get an elusive in-flight picture, this was as close as the burst on my camera would allow me to grab, this try at least. The wings are still partially folded in this picture, in the next shot it was gone. I'll get you next time you buzzing bastard.

I figured a pants-making GBS threads grasshopper would go well in GBS, so here you go:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Awful pictures since my shutter speed was off thanks to overcast, but something can be learned from these pictures.. Sometimes you can just tell when a critter is at its breaking point, and it's like saying 'If you don't get that big piece of glass out of my face, I'm going to make you wish you did.' I took this as a burst so there is about a second delay between each shot, but he swung around and gave me the glare of death before buzzing off in a huff. I decided to stop pushing my luck for today.

edit: also here's a picture I took before the scary Red Wasp, of some sort of Jumping Spider waiting for a snack, only to catch one right in front of me. Flickr has a larger size.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 10, 2008

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

It's been way too hot here for much activity (100+) so I haven't had much luck. Though early this morning this guy was just chilling out on my deck. They're pretty mellow and let you snap away.

Catastrophe posted:

This one is fantastic, as are all your macros. Great shots!

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 24, 2008

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

So, here is a photo of a huge bug:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Haha, what in the heck is that? It looks awesome!

To contribute, I saw what I deemed the "Punisher" of the Jumping Spiders today, sadly there was a major overcast thanks to an incoming storm, so I needed to bump up to iso 800 to get this "decent" quick snap before it took off. Makes the full size look ugly.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

...One of her jobs is to go around to schools showing huge bugs to kids...

...Edit: Wife says it's a Trachyaretaon bruekneri, "Giant Thorny Phasmid", aka Jungle Nymph. (Sexy!)..

First off, your wife has an awesome job. That sucks they won't let you bring poisonous bugs into kindergarten classrooms though, man. There must be a double standard against insects because I remember "back in my day" they would bring poisonous frogs around for everyone to look at! I guess they were more open to that whole natural selection thing at that time. Jerks.

Secondly, that Giant Thorny Phasmid is just impressive. I can't say I've seen anything quite like that before. I'd be so torn if I ever went into a rainforest. The bugs look awesome but damned if I wouldn't want to scream if I had one of those crawling on my back, harmless or not. Definitely looking forward to the rest of your pics!

Two more of mine for the road:

Wasp chillin' and drinkin' after a storm. Sorry about the black bar at the top, Photoshop messup and I'm too lazy to reupload.

A nice frontal shot of that "Punisher" Jumping Spider, looks quite a bit goofier in this pic.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Were they Poison Dart Frogs (Dendrobates spp.)? Because, you see... my wife and I keep four different species, and we meet up with other poison dart frog nerds, and uh... yeah. They're not poisonous in captivity.

All these years, I've had self-confidence from staring at a Poison Dart Frog and living to tell the tale. That has now been ripped from me! Haha, no wonder they would bring those into the classroom. Well drat!

Those are all awesome looking! I've seen the whip-tail scorpion before on some random nature show, otherwise that would probably be the scariest looking but I personally draw the line at the 'pedes. I realize Millipedes are relatively harmless until provoked but ever since I saw a Giant Centipede basically "deglove" a mouse while eating it, I have decided that anything with that many legs is something to run away from while screaming.

All great pictures, Thanks for sharing them both here and in the classroom!

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 26, 2008

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Finally managed to capture one of these dudes in flight. It's a Leaf-Cutter Bee and they're quite harmless unless you're a leaf. There's 3-4 that are constantly chomping down on the leafy vine in my backyard and they gave me plenty of chances to snap away.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

jackpot posted:

I'm glad this thread just keeps going and going, I love it. I was going to call out some people I really like, but frankly I lost count, there's too many of you.

Agreed here as well, I've enjoyed all the contributions thus far. This thread is fantastic!

My "favorite" (read: patient and doesn't care about the camera getting up close and personal) salticidae was out on my deck this morning before it got too hot so I managed to get a few pictures of'em catching some rays on my Satellite Dish.

I missed the focus on this one ever so slightly, but I still like it:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

If there's ever a Jumping Spider Party in the government, and they have an ad for their presidential candidate, this should be the picture they use. It almost works even without the "Jumping Spiders: 8 Eyes To The Future" caption.

Hahaha, shortly after that was taken it jumped on the lens, I took that as a 'no pictures' comment so I guess the candidate needs some practice with public appearances but I would definitely consider voting for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Ramen Pride! posted:

Ack. Bad news. I don't think the little girl made it.

Aww, what a shame. I like your experiment idea though, haha. Pretty creative thinking, hopefully it'll work! I have yet to see either a male or female in the wild, I don't really know if they venture up far enough into Middle TN.

Have you come across any of their relatives, like the Ox Beetle?

s'Ilancy posted:

I got to spend last Wednesday afternoon with this handsome young man:

Awesome! There's a few small clusters of deer around here but they're pretty skittish so I don't get too many chances to see them up close.