Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have been on a massive losing streak as of late. Dropped on goquest from 1270 to 1210. Woooof :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Hit some l&d and come back stronger

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
are there any streamers that play 9x9? go is bad enough as it is, but now im getting into a niche within a niche. god this is stupid.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

derp posted:

are there any streamers that play 9x9? go is bad enough as it is, but now im getting into a niche within a niche. god this is stupid.

Time to become the hero we all need, derp. I’ll come watch

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I saw your banner, skimmed your OP, and am posting only to give compliments and props to the OP writer for all the amazing illustrations of people playing Go. Nicely done.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DaveKap posted:

I saw your banner, skimmed your OP, and am posting only to give compliments and props to the OP writer for all the amazing illustrations of people playing Go. Nicely done.
This, but the OP made me want to actually play Go again. Last time I quit, must've been five years ago, I was like 20k, and was just hitting a brick wall.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

This, but the OP made me want to actually play Go again. Last time I quit, must've been five years ago, I was like 20k, and was just hitting a brick wall.

Install go quest you'll gain several ranks on larger go boards by getting better at fighting

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know with as much as there is going on in the Go world these days there really is no excuse for this thread to be this inactive. So let me kick things off a bit, who do y'all watch on YouTube for learning go? My go-to for a long time was Nick Sibicky, but lately I've been heavily favoring Dwyrins Back to Basics series.

This is a really cool lecture by Dwyrin about how to use gote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1p3b8TDF9Q

For comparison here's a really good recent lecture by Nick Sibicky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F8hK3oYUeQ

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I like dwyrin. You can even watch his non basics videos and still get some good stuff out, because frequently he'll point out when opponents lose high Dan level games because of basics level mistakes, like failing to defend adequately. (Along with a lot of high level nonsense that can become incomprehensible if you don't have a lot of practice counting liberties or reading ahead)

Don't really watch anyone else.

I do the patreon where I get to have my rear end handed to me by dwyrin on the last Sunday each month. I'm only about 10k so he wears kiddy gloves until I accidentally kill something. It's fun.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I enjoy both but as I move up in ranks dwyrin's stuff is obviously more applicable because he does produce content for sdk/dans, while nick's class lectures are from the ddk class at the Seattle go center, so most of his content is aimed at that bracket.

I think nick once commented that dwyrin was a stone or two stronger than him in one of their duo videos saying nick was mid-high dan and dwyrin was high-mid dan, but they both agree that when they play for their audience in the teaching style they aren't really able to play as strongly as they possibly can and expect their videos to make sense to the watcher they want to maintain their viewership. There is a conscious decision to teach go rather than exhibit go.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Let's say I want to watch go being exhibited, not taught; anywhere that I should check for "here's some live commentary in english"? Like twitch, but for go.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Let's say I want to watch go being exhibited, not taught; anywhere that I should check for "here's some live commentary in english"? Like twitch, but for go.

Well dwyrin does stream on twitch where he plays 5-7d games on wednesday. He's twitch.tv/battsgo there.

Kim Yoonyoung is a korean 8P that streams largely without sandbagging, her channel is here. https://www.twitch.tv/kimyoonyoung

They both occasionally go over pro games as well.

The best English content for go is probably Michael Redmond, he's been recording stuff for the AGA over on YouTube. youtube.com/user/USGOWeb/
The downside of Michael's stuff is that he has Chris Garlock (who is a reasonable amateur dan) along to play conversationalist, and he doesn't get too deep into the weeds sometimes as a result, but he is covering much higher level games and isn't afraid to show actual long variations. Lately Chris has taken the feedback from the rest of us to let Michael explain things pretty well.

Finally there's a lot of Korean TV with English subtitles - it's "Baduk TV" and you can find it in the usual places but it is copyrighted material with unclear providence when it shows up so I'm not going to pick a particular google result or torrent for you. Often this is where you find coverage of stuff like the Meijin qualifiers in the traditional "Some Go Pro acting wise and knowledgeable + Some Go Pro Acting Dumb to be the straight person and asking questions" TV style, which is it's own thing like the redmond/garlock commentary above but on steroids.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Awesome thanks. I mostly want to listen in the background at work or whatever so I'll check all of that out.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve been trying on and off to get into this game for years. I play a decent amount of 9x9 but making the jump to full games is intimidating - anyone have a YouTube series or w/e about the things you should know going from, say, 20k to 5k? Lots of videos on YouTube but I dunno which ones are good.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Nick Sibicky is a reasonable starting place. Most of his lectures are from the seattle go club Double Digit Kyu class, so should be right at your target range.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Ah, cool. I thought he was slightly more advanced. I’ll give his stuff a watch.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

He has some stuff that is more advanced, but the classroom lectures with the magnetic board, or the problem sets should all be aimed at DDK.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Cool. I’ve managed to win one game so far, but I dunno if I deserved it. Felt like I was losing right up to my opponent resigning.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

dwyrin's Back to Basic series is another good place to learn fundamentals where he explains what he's doing and will review variations.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Nick Sibicky's traditional opening theory and big vs urgent would probably both be helpful. If you have any idea where the big moves are on the board at 20k you will crush people. What I found most helpful at that level was game reviews from goons, you should post a game here

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Game reviews from goons got me from like 23k to 13k in a month, and then I basically stopped playing and regressed to 20k or sth.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ, are there really THAT many rules to know in order go play Go with fellow goons!?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Any good resources about how to recognize and create eyes? I’m a low level kyu player and not knowing how to make eyes and recognizing false eyes has essentially halted my progress in the game.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Any good resources about how to recognize and create eyes? I’m a low level kyu player and not knowing how to make eyes and recognizing false eyes has essentially halted my progress in the game.

Find a life and death problem set where it takes you no more than 5-10 seconds to solve the sequence and just do those repeatedly until it becomes second nature. It’s all about pattern recognition and you want to burn through hundreds of appropriately easy problems to train yourself.

I don’t actively play too much anymore so I haven’t keep current with what the currently available online resources are but I’m sure someone else can link you to some appropriate problem sets.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Do we still have a KGS room?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

The KGS room is no more. KGS will purge it after a tiny bit of inactivity.

Speaking of KGS, I just had someone resign during counting after they lost by 5.5. Usually when I see people resign during counting it's when they've lost by 30-60. I get that those people want to save face, but it seems kinda pointless to hide a single digit result

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I was about 8-9kyu on KGS when I stopped playing regularly, sometime before alphago zero and Leela zero came out. Since coming back I've found Leela zero to be awesome for reviewing games, I've gotten to 6kyu on KGS fairly quickly. Anyone else doing Leela assisted reviews?

I'll usually set Leela to do an automatic 1000 playout analysis, do a normal review, then come back and add comments based on what Leela says.

Here's my review of the game I played this morning:
[timg]i.imgur.com/ucm3fZA.png[/timg]

https://eidogo.com/#1UkMPxLkL

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
My wife got me a Go board for Christmas and we are both completely new but eager to learn. Question is, what's the best way for two total noobies to learn? Sometimes against each other I get the feeling we're playing out stuff we don't need to or not recognizing amateur traps (currently sticking to 9x9). We have trouble realizing when the game is effectively over, too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

PopZeus posted:

My wife got me a Go board for Christmas and we are both completely new but eager to learn. Question is, what's the best way for two total noobies to learn? Sometimes against each other I get the feeling we're playing out stuff we don't need to or not recognizing amateur traps (currently sticking to 9x9). We have trouble realizing when the game is effectively over, too.

If alphago is any guide, play billions of games against each other and develop a library from which you can devise countless permutations for any situation.

In seriousness, it sounds like you're really new. The intuition about game progress or traps comes with experience as much as anything. I don't know that there is a best way other than whatever you feel up to doing. Playing vs each other 9x9 til you get bored, then 13x13, then 19x19. Watch videos if you want, or other people playing.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Get goquest for your phones. Play a lot of 9x9 to learn shapes and how to make life. Even after it lets you play 13x13bor 19x19 play 9x9 here.

Watch the introductory lecture on shape. Here’s a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBh8FGK9bU

Play a long 19x19 against each other over the course of a month. Just leave the board out and make a move each day, or set up a correspondence game on ogs. Keep a move record, Don’t cheat, and stop at the end of the month (so move 30 or whites 15th move). Then take a picture, think about and talk about the game. Crucially try to figure out both sides next move. Then decide if you want to continue that game or start a new one, and which side you’d want to play.

Fast games played quickly against strangers help you build familiarity with the language of go. Explanatory lectures build vocabulary of good ideas. Long compositions help you build your planning and reading ability.

Never play handicap games.

That should be enough for January, come back and let us know how it’s going?

Go is also baduk, or weiqi which can help with search engine stuff.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there an Android equivalent of the tutorial that's in the SmartGo iOS apps?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

David Wu posted:

https://blog.janestreet.com/deep-learning-the-hardest-go-problem-in-the-world/

As far as we are aware, all prior bots including those developed since AlphaZero, almost completely fail to understand this problem. The highly unusual shapes cause them to completely miss many of the key moves and ideas, and the incredible precision of the fights prevents the generic knowledge that they have learned from being effective. In fact, even in ordinary games, long-distance/large-scale fights and blind spots of specific unusual shapes are known weaknesses of current otherwise superhuman bots, and sometimes humans can outdo them in those situations—and this problem hits both such weaknesses hard.

Could a bot be trained to understand this problem?

Normally, training consists of self-playing hundreds of thousands of ordinary games. We learned from AlphaZero that this makes the bot very, very good at ordinary games.

So what if self-play consisted instead of exploration of this specific problem? Would the bot then master this problem?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I expect Go to be solved soon

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AdorableStar posted:

I expect Go to be solved soon

What did you actually mean by this?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

dirby posted:

What did you actually mean by this?

I don't know if he was being series but when a game is solved it means the optimal play has been discovered. Like tic tac toe, if you go first you can always win, so tic tac toe is solved

EDIT: More info https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solved_game

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Sorry, I meant something more like "Chess may never be solved even in the ultra-weak sense. I don't get your joke/point."

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Seems very unlikely given the storage constraints around mapping the entire graph of go moves.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It could be the case that someone comes up with a new way of representing or analysing Go that lets them prove that a certain sequence is optimal, but that isn't really the direction the latest advancements have gone in.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Putting it another way: If you discover a way for an AI to find the best possible move at any arbitrary point in a Go game, please go patent it and make billions of dollars, because what you've done is revolutionize brute force cryptography, and you just completely changed the nature of computer security overnight.

Edit: There are about 10170 legal board states in Go. I literally cannot find ways to mathematically express how big of a number that is in any meaningful way. Putting seven billion people on every planet on every star in the known universe, each of them making a new and legal move every second for the entire age of the universe is still about a hundred zeroes too short for how many moves it would take. Not times a hundred short. A hundred zeroes.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

:3: have you read the "children's" book Really Big Numbers? The author uses examples kinda like that to explain googols, plexing, etc to kids, it's adorable.