Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Still, it was only about 4 years ago that the best computer was maybe 16 kyu. Pretty amazing growth if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
4 years ago the best computer was around 6 - 8 kyu (gnugo). For a long time a computers strength was its pattern database & ability to outplay tactically. The main advancement Mogo brings is a remarkable global sensibility. Just as gnugo could reliably beat 6 kyus at least half the time by winning most tactical fights, mogo can now reliably beat 2 kyus at least half the time because it will form vast central frameworks in reply to any slack play. There's no smooth gradient of advancement here, Mogo represents a big step forward, but to advance into the dan ranks both a good global sense & unerringly sharp tactics are needed, and I would be surprised to see a 6 dan computer in ten years! Maybe not twenty though..

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
There was a news story recently about a program that beat a Japanese pro in a 9-stone handicap game. It must have been that one, I assume.

EDIT: Yeah, article about it here.

EDIT 2: Does anyone know if this screenshot is of an actual program you can play on?

Urban Renewal fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 12, 2008

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
that's a screenshot of the igs client glGo, it has a 3d board option

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

sensual donkey punching posted:

that's a screenshot of the igs client glGo, it has a 3d board option

sweet I've been thinking of making an IGS account for all the wacky poo poo that goes on in there

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

4 years ago the best computer was around 6 - 8 kyu (gnugo). For a long time a computers strength was its pattern database & ability to outplay tactically. The main advancement Mogo brings is a remarkable global sensibility. Just as gnugo could reliably beat 6 kyus at least half the time by winning most tactical fights, mogo can now reliably beat 2 kyus at least half the time because it will form vast central frameworks in reply to any slack play. There's no smooth gradient of advancement here, Mogo represents a big step forward, but to advance into the dan ranks both a good global sense & unerringly sharp tactics are needed, and I would be surprised to see a 6 dan computer in ten years! Maybe not twenty though..

Maybe I was thinking 5 years ago? I just remember all the go programs when I first started playing being real crappy and the strongest bot on KGS was 16 kyu.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I think during the last US Go Congress they had a professional play Mogo while it was linked up to 700 super computers or something ridiculous like that. It beat a 9d professional with a 9 stone handicap. The pro said it played around 2-3d level but that occasionally it made 6d or so moves.

We're still a long way off from having strong computer opponents that anyone can download and play.

Edit: Yeah bots are mostly around 6k now as far as I know, so you must have been thinking way back.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
http://senseis.xmp.net/?GNUGo

there's a history of kgs ranks, i overestimated its strength 4 years ago but it was not quite as weak as 16 kyu even 5 years ago either

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
years ago when I got into go and was like a ~20k on KGS I'd boast to people that I could beat any go program in the whole world :v:

slorb
May 14, 2002

http://senseis.xmp.net/?GNUGo

there's a history of kgs ranks, i overestimated its strength 4 years ago but it was not quite as weak as 16 kyu even 5 years ago either

I suspect the ranks in that KGS article are under the old KGS kyu system before they compressed it down.

Playing Mogo or any monte carlo program really feels different from Gnu go. It doesn't throw away the game by ignoring threats to its groups as often, but in addition to the dan level framework building and life and death it does play weird influence moves a ton.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I missed the game where mogobot beat the pro at 9h, but I did see a game where a pro played mogobot with 7h and mogobot played a failed ladder to the edge of the board. This was on a supercomputer with eight hundred 4ghz cores. The monte carlo programs are weird like that; I heard that mogobot's developers actually found they were better off not giving it specific information, because once a player figured out mogobot's 'rules', they would immediately start playing the exceptions. It's hard to program an open approach :angel:

bruinfix
Sep 6, 2003

I am picking up the game after not playing for about a year. Hope to see you guys in the room. My name is Bruinfix on KGS. I am willing to teach or review games with people. My skill level is probably a low digit kyu player.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!

bruinfix posted:

I am picking up the game after not playing for about a year.

Ditto. I'm pretty pleased with my first game back, versus an unranked player on KGS (won by about 85 points):

I'll try hard to play one game a day before work. Maybe that'll get me to stick with it.

Nodrog
Apr 17, 2002

by angerbeet

Urban Renewal posted:

Not to interrupt this game but I'd like to have some GO BOOK CHAT. I am thinking of maybe picking up some books during christmas sales and I am wondering what I should get.
Get Kageyama "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go". Not only because itll improve your play, but because its so well-written and worth reading for its own sake.

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
here are some moves :::

Howard fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 16, 2008

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
e10 woss

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
e9 it is i guess

Howard
Jun 20, 2005

This is the game as it is, Woss has some decisions to make. I believe the "wedge" move at D9 is the severest, and requires the ladders to work, which I believe they do for black. Your turn Woss

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Merry Christmas Jon!! I believe this position calls for calculation so i probably wont move for a few days at least

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
Hurry up Woss I want to resume the game!

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is there a good guide for territory control and dead stones out there on the net? I played a few games after reading a small introductory text bought at a random store, but I still can't figure out how dead stones exactly work. Sometimes one player surrounds the other, which itself was surrounding the first player. Or sometimes two territories intersect and it's unclear who owns what. That's the sort of thing that pretty much stopped me from playing more because I had no idea how to handle these cases.

bruinfix
Sep 6, 2003

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is there a good guide for territory control and dead stones out there on the net? I played a few games after reading a small introductory text bought at a random store, but I still can't figure out how dead stones exactly work. Sometimes one player surrounds the other, which itself was surrounding the first player. Or sometimes two territories intersect and it's unclear who owns what. That's the sort of thing that pretty much stopped me from playing more because I had no idea how to handle these cases.

KGS has a good guide that is interactive [http://www.gokgs.com/tutorial/index.jsp]. I hope that would help. You can also go on KGS join the SA room under social and ask for help. I would be willing to help you out KGS handle is Bruinfix. Frankly I need some practice teaching people how to play from the beginning because I don't have that calm non disjointed method down yet.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Speaking of interactive Go tutorials, I found http://playgo.to/interactive/ much more useful in terms of remembering the rules than just reading text.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

helopticor posted:

Speaking of interactive Go tutorials, I found http://playgo.to/interactive/ much more useful in terms of remembering the rules than just reading text.

link is highly recommended, since this poo poo is so basic that anyone who has played longer than a month would have difficulty articulating it. Go through this once, play a game or three, go through it again, and you will have a pretty good idea of the most basic game mechanics. This won't save you from losing like a bitch over and over again, but with the tutorial out of the way it will be possible for us to explain to you what is happening. This would not be an option if you just sat down and said "ok lets do this"

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
D10

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
d8

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
Man, I had forgotten all about Go up until a few weeks ago, when they started running this Dominoe's commercial, where the "World's Smartest Man" is sitting there playing it with a fifth grader -- and I noticed it.

I've got a folding board and stones around here somewhere, but the board has some smoke damage on it from a fire in my apartment complex.

I'm gonna be terrible at it, now.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Namaste posted:

Man, I had forgotten all about Go up until a few weeks ago, when they started running this Dominoe's commercial, where the "World's Smartest Man" is sitting there playing it with a fifth grader -- and I noticed it.

I, too, noticed that and also the incongruence of the World's Smartest Man playing as black.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Pillow Face posted:

I, too, noticed that and also the incongruence of the World's Smartest Man playing as black.

The kid is actually smarter but since he's not technically "a man" the title still holds

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I signed up for a KGS account a while ago, lost a few games, got discouraged, and put it aside. Recently I've been wanting to play again so I fired up CGoban and it matched me with an 18k. Somehow I managed to beat her and I was feeling pretty good about it until I checked her user info.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
Hey Foggy, you got a problem with her majestys dog?

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Sartak posted:

Hey Foggy, you got a problem with her majestys dog?

Oh no, it's Tsubasa Resovoir Chronicals I can't stand.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
its an unfortunate truth of online Go that someone being a terrible person does not preclude them from being decent at the game :/

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
She likes Beyblade better than Hikaru no Go?!?!?! Ban her from KGS.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
she also listed "Battle B-daman" which sounds like a really sweet anime

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

finally just read all the posts. i signed up on KGS (same username) and played a few games. thanks for those that played some teaching games with me. hope to get back on tonight and get beaten down over and over. i mainly play bots, and while it's not super helpful igowin is helpful (made it to avg 10kyu, can get to 8kyu and then loss big time).

really glad i found this topic, been meaning to learn go since jr high 10 years ago.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Just wanted to let everyone know that after a long game with Helsbecter involving several large fights I lost by .5 points ;_;

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I was at my college library yesterday looking for a useful go book. While I didn't find any, I did come across something called The Protracted Game; A Wei-chʻi Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy by Scott A. Boorman. It's (as you might expect) a detailed analysis of Mao's military strategy and how it uses various go techniques, complete with illustrated go games opposite military maps of occupied territory in China with analogous situations. Worth picking up if you're into completely insane board-game-based military history.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Foggy posted:

I was at my college library yesterday looking for a useful go book. While I didn't find any, I did come across something called The Protracted Game; A Wei-chʻi Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy by Scott A. Boorman. It's (as you might expect) a detailed analysis of Mao's military strategy and how it uses various go techniques, complete with illustrated go games opposite military maps of occupied territory in China with analogous situations. Worth picking up if you're into completely insane board-game-based military history.

Yeah that sounds like a big stretch except in the vaguest sense or they picked one game out of the thousands and thousands of go games that is somehow kind of similar.

"Then Mao, much like a play at 3-3 against a star point, invaded behind enemy lines." :jerkbag:

D10

Howard posted:

d8

Play faster, it's an interesting game so far. BLITZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Hey, just saw this thread. I've been playing for a few months now, and I'm about 12k on KGS as digbybare. Is SA still the room?