Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

Wasuji had cut on the wrong side and I ended with sente - I played the large knight's enclosure to "pressure" the m3 stone and get myself an enclosure at the same time.

I wonder now if allowing him a two space extension was an okay thing to do, but I thought I would be able to attack him for a long time either 1. Building the left or 2. Ruining the large moyo he was trying to go for with the sanrensei. At any rate, he made a three space extension and I jumped right in the middle of it telling him to fight me. It started a running attack/defence and fighting that lasted through the entire board almost for the entire game. I ended up winning by luck, but I guess we both misplayed at some point(s) or another.

Seems like a reasonable move to me. I'm not worried if B wants to play J3... a two-space extension doesn't qualify as a base when it's undercut by an immediately adjacent ponnuki like that. I'd actually prefer to play the three space extension as B because it's lighter. Or more likely cut at O5 and abandon M3 for the time being. If W wanted to play again on the lower side to capture it, there's still an invasion in the lower left because of the loose shimari.

I'm kinda tempted to play O7 as W, but probably a shimari of some sort is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Here is a review for uranus. I don't normally review games that are quite so one-sided, but uranus deserves a review, and there are good things to learn from here, and given the rank difference and the fact that he doesn't like handicap, it'll likely be a while before we have any much closer results.

http://eidogo.com/#1foeBztta

I'd be fascinated to know what optimal play for both players would have been in the ko that arose at the end. As I say in the comments, it seems like it could have gone on for a long time with both players playing local ko threats.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
wow thanks so much for that xopods! I don't know why i didnt think i could run with that group. i think i got too discouraged by not being able to live that i somehow forgot to look for ways to run.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

wow thanks so much for that xopods! I don't know why i didnt think i could run with that group. i think i got too discouraged by not being able to live that i somehow forgot to look for ways to run.

In 80% of cases it's better to try to run first anyway. Getting sealed in is no good. Of course, the reason I killed your eyeshape instead of sealing in was because in that case I felt it was going to be more profitable to chase than to seal in. But you were too heavy before then anyway, which is the problem. Usual order of priorities is:

Make a base (eyespace + access to the centre)
Play lightly/make shape
Run
Live

I didn't show a variation for running in the SGF for some reason, but the most obvious thing would be to attach on top of my two-stone pillar at Q12. If I hane at Q11 then you can make a table shape. Of course, there are other things I can do, like hane inside or clamping, but I don't think I can stop you from escaping.

xopods fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 15, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Hey kids, guess what time it is? It's time for another direction of play problem. This is from my latest game with oiseaux. I did a full review which I'll post, but let's talk about this specific position first. There's a lot going on here.

It's Black to play. What's his best move? Also, who do you prefer here, Black or White?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I'm not impressed by Black's results on what seems to have been White's side of the board, but it IS Black's move...

My analysis of the upper left is that B b12 lives; if W b12, then White solidifies the top as Black flees.

B g4 momentarily tempted me but on second thought I don't think White's cut would be that good.

I think it's between b12 and r3?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I think I would r3. I like cash. If White gets b12 and the top, so be it.

I guess I like Black's prospects on this board.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

The problem with B12 is that, if it's answered, it loses the option to play B11 and attack White/force him to connect on the first line in gote. Conversely, the problem with B11 is: (a) that it lets White get in a peep at E8 which he missed out on earlier (and which will only be answered at a time when letting White capture two stones would have life-and-death implications rather than just points, and (b) that rather than connecting, White may decide to run first... if Black doesn't then play B12, he's induced White to attack him. And of course, if he does, then he's ended in gote.

That whole situation is more subtle than it looks, so I'm inclined to leave it.

I considered several moves in the vicinity of R3 in my analysis, but ultimately decided that's not where I would play, tempting as it is.

You're not tempted by any omoyo style moves? There are several available...

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

xopods posted:

You're not tempted by any omoyo style moves? There are several available...

J10. :smug: J8 for a more conservative omoyo just because it has a large knight relationship with a nearby stone.

Also, when defending our 3-3 point, isn't it better to play a move like Q3 instead of the 3-3 directly?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

J10. :smug: J8 for a more conservative omoyo just because it has a large knight relationship with a nearby stone.

These are similar to what oiseaux actually played, but I feel they're actually too small in scale, and too vague. You don't want to just plunk a stone down in the middle of the board and go "there, I've got a moyo," you want to be building your moyo while accomplishing other things.

For instance, although it's not what I would play, the biggest-scale moyo move would be something like K15.

quote:

Also, when defending our 3-3 point, isn't it better to play a move like Q3 instead of the 3-3 directly?

I prefer Q3 to R3, yes, but it has problems... thing is there isn't really one move in the lower right that solves all our problems there and with Q11 on the right, so I prefer to leave that part of the board for now. Also, White's in no huge hurry to invade there anyway, as it makes it that much harder to pull out Q11.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I say H5. With that move, black welds his weak group there onto his moyo and makes something so big that white is forced to invade somehow. White will probably end in gote, so it's all good.

Black can still outbuild white at this point, so I don't think he should do anything else. White's biggest positive spot is like k15, which can wait a few moves. All of w's moves will be negative for the time being and Black should take advantage

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Under 15 posted:

I say H5. With that move, black welds his weak group there onto his moyo and makes something so big that white is forced to invade somehow. White will probably end in gote, so it's all good.

This was, ultimately, the move I came up with in the review. Aside from simply being a strong double-purpose move, it works particularly well if Black then gets to play E11 and then double-hane at F10.

Here is the full review: http://eidogo.com/#pI7HhWPF

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Thanks xops. On review, I decided that G4 was the best move I could think of, although H5 looks superior, I'm still glad I came to a reasonably similar conclusion as you guys. It's a really hard position for me to evaluate and I can say I didn't take much pleasure from playing around tengen in the actual game

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Also I can't say how wise D7 was but I was happy because it felt like a move that at the very least was not complying with White's agenda

G13 was a mistake, I would have exchanged if I was paying attention

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 17, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

Thanks xops. On review, I decided that G4 was the best move I could think of, although H5 looks superior, I'm still glad I came to a reasonably similar conclusion as you guys. It's a really hard position for me to evaluate and I can say I didn't take much pleasure from playing around tengen in the actual game

G4 was a move I was thinking of as well when I noticed white's empty triangle elephant eye poke was there. I guess it's bad because the cut could be exploitable in the future/it's weaker/white peeping through would just help your moyo?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

G4 was a move I was thinking of as well when I noticed white's empty triangle elephant eye poke was there. I guess it's bad because the cut could be exploitable in the future/it's weaker/white peeping through would just help your moyo?

Yeah, the fact that it's cuttable is the problem. H5 instead allows the double (aka "tower") peep of course, but H3 is very much disposable and Black can get even thicker in sacrificing it. Also, with G4, if White cuts, you pretty much have to atari at G6 for the shape of the group above, but then after W pulls out, your two stones below have the usual kosumi-tsuke problem with shortage of liberties.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I want to learn how to play this game. Are there are any recommended videos that explain the rules/moves etc before I jump into the tutorial?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I want to learn how to play this game. Are there are any recommended videos that explain the rules/moves etc before I jump into the tutorial?
I can't think of any videos for total beginners, but there are two great interactive tutorials.
http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/
http://www.gokgs.com/tutorial/

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hey hey everyone everyone

join the sa tournament on ogs. http://online-go.com/tournament/3203

also the sa group http://online-go.com/group/8

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Just wanted to share:

Me and my friend were in Costa Rica and we needed to do something on rainy days or between stuff. I drew a go board on a big piece of paper and we collected some white and black rocks. I wish I had taken a picture.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
haul from the used bookstore:

part of me feels guilty about taking beginner books that would probably better benefit a true beginner. Most of me just wants to collect all go books.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

uranus posted:

hey hey everyone everyone

join the sa tournament on ogs. http://online-go.com/tournament/3203

also the sa group http://online

OGS is for babies who can't handle a little bit of blitz :colbert:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

uranus posted:

haul from the used bookstore:

part of me feels guilty about taking beginner books that would probably better benefit a true beginner. Most of me just wants to collect all go books.

I got this bug recently and bought a bunch of beginner books too - but I'm glad I did. The Janice Kim series are really well written and presented books and it was a stern reminder how much basic stuff I had forgotten. I don't think there's any problem with reading and re-reading beginners books, because they're fucken easy to read, so it's quick, but there's always one or two things in them you forget about.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

IMlemon posted:

You can play blitz on OGS

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

I got this bug recently and bought a bunch of beginner books too - but I'm glad I did. The Janice Kim series are really well written and presented books and it was a stern reminder how much basic stuff I had forgotten. I don't think there's any problem with reading and re-reading beginners books, because they're fucken easy to read, so it's quick, but there's always one or two things in them you forget about.

The second book of Go is always a good book.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

IMlemon posted:

ogs is for people unable to sit and focus for 30-40 minutes without being interrupted constantly.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Word up gangsters, Oromedia went out of print last year so here's a chance to get these now-out-of-print books at a marked down price:

https://shop.gogameguru.com/go-books/?p=1

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have been wondering about the endgame for the L+2 group recently.

Normally white will hane in from the side because it is massively sente.
But what is black's best local move here, and how large is it actually?
The group you get if black plays the hane on both ends is actually seki for example, so that can't really be the best outcome.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I'm going to guess the 1-2 point on B1.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Also if you imagine the shape of the corner after both hane's have been played, it's clearly the vital point. You don't even need to visualise white 2 and 4, just the black stones extending to the edge of the board.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 21, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

AdorableStar posted:

Also if you imagine the shape of the corner after both hane's have been played, it's clearly the vital point. You don't even need to visualise white 2 and 4, just the black stones extending to the edge of the board.

I am idiot, but the gist of this is that the most important move for black to make is to play A18 or B18 to ensure two eyes before C3 or A16?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

I am idiot, but the gist of this is that the most important move for black to make is to play A18 or B18 to ensure two eyes before C3 or A16?

A18 is the shape move for easy life, yes. Just imagine that double table shape.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

AdorableStar posted:

A18 is the shape move for easy life, yes. Just imagine that double table shape.

What's double table shape mean?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

What's double table shape mean?

This is the best shape to make an eye - A is the vital point.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

This is the best shape to make an eye - A is the vital point.

Except without that black stone in the lower right corner. I mean, it could be there, but you've already got bad shape if it is. More usually that will be a White stone instead and then A is extra urgent, since for White to play there would be the eye-stealing tesuji.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

I have been wondering about the endgame for the L+2 group recently.

Normally white will hane in from the side because it is massively sente.
But what is black's best local move here, and how large is it actually?
The group you get if black plays the hane on both ends is actually seki for example, so that can't really be the best outcome.

Like anything else is probably depends somewhat on surroundings, but I will almost always play the 1-2 point as Khel says. After that, both sides are probably Black's sente while White has no further moves, so Black should get both later... it's possible you could have something funny going on outside that would make blocking (or maybe even sagari on the opposite side) preferable, but usually there's no reason either of those would be better than just playing 1-2 to live immediately and then playing the atari and opposite side hane in sente later.

EDIT: Oh, I misread the question, you're talking about if B plays first, without W hane. You would normally play one hane in sente and then not play the other one because it is gote. At least, not before the board cools to the point that a 2 point reverse sente move is worth playing, at which point you'd hane and connect (assuming White needs to connect to avoid the atari rather than immediately hitting the vital point and then take gote to prevent the seki.

xopods fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 23, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Like anything else is probably depends somewhat on surroundings, but I will almost always play the 1-2 point as Khel says. After that, both sides are probably Black's sente while White has no further moves, so Black should get both later... it's possible you could have something funny going on outside that would make blocking (or maybe even sagari on the opposite side) preferable, but usually there's no reason either of those would be better than just playing 1-2 to live immediately and then playing the atari and opposite side hane in sente later.

EDIT: Oh, I misread the question, you're talking about if B plays first, without W hane. You would normally play one hane in sente and then not play the other one because it is gote. At least, not before the board cools to the point that a 2 point reverse sente move is worth playing, at which point you'd hane and connect (assuming White needs to connect to avoid the atari rather than immediately hitting the vital point and then take gote to prevent the seki.

I think I was trying to explain that the 1-2 point was the easy shape for life, not because it's the 1-2 point, but because if you visualise a black stone running to the edge of the board, it's clearly the vital point of the double table shape. If that helps anyone.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
pyf shape

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar