Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

finally just read all the posts. i signed up on KGS (same username) and played a few games. thanks for those that played some teaching games with me. hope to get back on tonight and get beaten down over and over. i mainly play bots, and while it's not super helpful igowin is helpful (made it to avg 10kyu, can get to 8kyu and then loss big time).

really glad i found this topic, been meaning to learn go since jr high 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Foggy posted:

I've been playing GNU Go on this great website on a 9x9 board just to try to get better at close fighting and life & death (goproblems.com is okay but I find it helpful to have more context and a semi-realistic set of mvoes that led me into the L&D situation). However I cannot for the life of me beat it without giving myself a few handicap stones. Should I just keep at it until I can somewhat consistently keep it from killing my stones over and over? Is that helpful at all? I'd like to play more games on KGS but when I get demolished by 100 points because I'm incompetent at corner fights I feel like I need to work with a computer program that won't mock me.

I'm pretty new myself and I like playing with programs like that when I don't have enough time to play a real game, or I'm at work and can't play a real game. However, it would be best if you just kept playing a lot of games on KGS even if you get demolished. It happens to me all the time. But you'll learn a lot more by fighting over and over and see what works and what doesn't. Also ask people to review with you as much as possible. I've already learned a lot because of reviewing.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I think it can be agreed that once you discover the untextured you can't go back (I too just learned about it and can no longer play on the textured boards).

Also today is my one month anniversary on Itgo. Thank you all for helping me jump from 22kyu to 17kyu over that month (Hopefully I'll reach 16kyu this week [I'm so close!]).

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Awesome, I got it right. That's a good one. If I was white I'd be pissed.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

It sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but so expensive. I guess I should start saving now so that by the time I'm strong enough of a player to make it worth it I'll have the money saved to go.

How many of you are paying members of the AGA? I'm thinking about joining but I kind of want to wait till I live in a city that's large enough to have some AGA sponsored clubs (at least one good one). Any Chicago go players here? I'm hoping to be moving up there in the next 3 years.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Foggy posted:

Italo doom trance is the last thing I expected from this thread

But wasn't it wonderful? I might work on either a chip-tune or electro-thrash remix.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I've recently added goproblems to my RSS and this problem popped up http://www.goproblems.com/prob.php3?next=1&id=12437

I've worked through it and the solution that is given doesn't seem like it really kills whites lower group. It seems like white can make 2 eyes. Am I missing the point that it's just trying to make white live small? Also the an alt solution kills the lower side group, isn't that better for black? Am I going crazy!?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Color me crazy but doesn't Foggy's first answer also capture a minimum of 4 stones. But I guess H11 leaves you with a better end position.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

L:ordSilent posted:

Awesome april fools joke on KGS

Haha that's pretty good. It's funny how people have to deal with it.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Everyone was 9d

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

will my rank graph reflect this, I would be really happy, my rank is very important to me

It showed your graph how it always looks but all the numbers on the left read 9d.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

you did not even complete basic go training

I remember blendy was like "oh man foggy is gonna be my RIVAL" and I told him "sorry son foggy's gonna crap out any day now just you watch" and he was all :smith:

That totally was me! I wanted a rival so bad. :smith:

Also Foggy: Fight on! A loss means nothing in internet go!

Blendy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 10, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

the japanese say you have to lose 100 games before you can start to really play but they also have a tendency to fetishize suffering so I guess what I'm saying here is that Go is a retarded game and anyone who plays it (me) is retarded

I 2nd this on all counts. I need to start playing again. Daily.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

That sounds like a kick rear end wood block print in the making.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Had my first ranked game last night after being on break for 3 weeks. I lost at the most stupid point in the game. That will teach me for going awol :smith:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

haha awesome. so does that void the game or is it a tie?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

exar said that you would leave the whole thing as seki but he made a ko threat and I took the whole shebang. His ko threat was bigger than I thought though and I lost :(

:( :( :(

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I finally did it! I bought a go set. Got it off ebay for only 39.50 after shipping w/ insurance. The guy didn't really know what he was selling so I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, his guess was maple. Anyway it looks good enough to me and it's hard to find a decent set for under $50 before shipping. Now if only I knew some locals that played...

Fake Edit:
Sorry for the double post

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Foggy posted:

That is the exact set my aunt gave me last year (which piqued my interest in the game). Blendy you were meant to be my rival! I'm really sorry I haven't been on

What do you think of the board? It's a good price but I want to save up for a shin-kaya board.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah no table boards for this guy until past shodan. at least.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

stab stabby posted:

This thread makes me happy.

I haven't played Go in a while (quit playing regularly maybe a year ago now), but if anyone is interested, I'm toastcrumb on KGS. At my high point, I was 1k, but I'm probably 3-4k now.

Join us in the SA room!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

it's pretty rare to just find someone who is currently at 15k, almost as hard as it is to find a boyfriend-free girl.

Quote for truth. But everything Under 15 said is true. The worst thing you guys can do is just play each other over and over. You won't really learn much from each other because you're not being put into new situations and if you are no one knows how to grow from them. Come join the goon team.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

With a 7k and a 12k that's not so bad. I'm 12k on KGS and I like to help out the 18+ kyus. Getting on KGS is still a great idea since diversity is a important part of learning.

What part of IL are you guys in? I'm moving to Chicago soon and I've been looking/hoping to join a club.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Does anyone here play on IGS? I haven't but when I started looking into online go most information I found suggested KGS was a better place for a few reasons. Mainly larger player base, stronger player base, and ease of use for things like reviewing.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Sensei's Library posted:

Rank Comparison
Comparing Tygem rankings and strength to other servers such as KGS, I came up with the following assumptions.

KGS 1k = approximately 4-5k Tygem.

Tygem 16k = approx. KGS 9-10k.

and, the most interesting:

Tygem 7-8d= Amateur 6-7d in Korea. Tygem 9d= near pro levels. Many 9d players on Tygem (amateur players) have been known to win against pro players (often 9p).

I have personally witnessed a famous 9d amateur player play against Gu Li 9p on Tygem.... amazingly, the betting odds favored the amateur player.

I found this when searching about Tygem. The Sensei's library page says it was last updated the 6th, but I'm not sure if that means the rank comparisons are up to date.

Also from 2007 http://go-news.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-strong-are-tygem-stars.html

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

thats amateur 7d right because otherwise holy lord

I always think about go ranks first when I hear someone has died.

I found this https://www.gocongress08.org/list.php?o=faladdracasa it's from the 2008 Go Congress. It doesn't seem to say who is pro and who isn't but seeing as there are only 17 pros there I'm going to guess he wasn't a pro. When I googled him I couldn't find anything that said he was pro. Still 7d amateur at his age is impressive.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anyway we could get an updated OP with book lists, links to tutorials/etc?

There are a ton of go books out there. If you go to keishido's page you can get a good description of what a lot of people would say are the core books. Also for some online stuff search Go at scribd.com.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Emo Rodeo posted:

Books are great and all, but for advancing in rank, theres nothing quite like playing a couple games, or 100 or 200.

I have mixed feelings about this statement. From 20-14kyu I did nothing but play games and review, but then I took a month off and I just did problems and read some chapters out of Fundamentals and I jumped from 14k to near 11k. So I think it can be both ways. Also I think the higher your rank the more benefit you get from reading. I dunno, just how I feel.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Just made it to 11k and I think I might have made a 13k cry.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Double post woot for new goban. It just arrived in the mail. Only $25 for shin-kaya!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

post a picture of you smashing your head through it from that perspective

By picture I'm sure you mean sweet animated gif.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 30, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah sorry it was taken on my iSight right before I had to go to work and it was dark in my living room :( I'll take a better one sometime.

Edit: So my iSight is still taking crappy pictures but here is a pic of the board with my 'stones.' I'm using it to solve problems cause i don't have anyone to play with :(

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 3, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

That looks like a decent board, it deserves to have some nice stones to be friends with :(

Fancy stones would be nice, but as I am poor I can only afford these. But that being said I like the feel of these stones and I like how easy the are to use on the board. In person the look isn't so awful.

Edit- also more than nicer stones I would like some wood bowls instead of the weird plastic things they came in

Blendy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 3, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

If they're going to smell anything like the cigars my friend's smoked at the last wedding I went to then I'll pass. But now I'm trying to think of other manly things I can use to scent the stones. Gunpowder?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Team Go Sluts strikes again. This dude from Brazil just got his mind blown.

ft: very cool i saw ur photo!!!!
ft: =D
blendy: Haha that's not my photo
blendy: I am a guy
ft: come ooooon....AHBUHGAHSUAHUSHAUSHUAHSUAHUS
blendy: haha
ft: really!?!??!!??!
ft: haushuashuashuhaushuashuas
ft: ok.....
blendy: Yes
ft: is that ur girlfriend?!?!?
blendy: Ha no, I just found it online. I'm part of a go group that puts girl's pictures in our profiles
ft: HUAHUHUASHUAHSUHAUSHUAHSUHAUSHUASHUAHSUHAUSHUAHSUHAUSHUASHUASHUAHSUHAUSHUASHUHUSHUAHSUHASUHUAS

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

What the hell is HUAS HUAS HUAS? That's not even convenient to type?

That's what I was wondering. Unless Brazil doesn't use QWERTY. I'm guessing it's a thing in Brazil. Maybe some kind of sound effect of a brain being blown.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

His English was also pretty poor. Shortly after that he said something like "I'm going to take my sister, lets have some fun later." After a few questions I realized he was taking her to school...

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

xau posted:

For youths 22 and under the fee is $130

drat it I had to go and turn 22 three years ago. That is a decent price compared to an adult. What I don't understand is what more is a 23 year old (or a 25 year old) going to be getting out of the congress that is worth paying an extra $130. I mean room and food aren't even included.

xau posted:

If any of you guys can make it out to DC but can't cover the registration fee I might be willing to help out

You, sir, are a pip. Even though there is no way I can go I'd like to thank you for this offer.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 8, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

FYI:

ITGO just got admin'd for lewd language. The room info got removed and they stuck us in the new room division.

We just got warned by the man.

EDIT:

We just got put back proper room status.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

So I'm looking to get a copy of Attack and Defense and I was just checking amazon to see had any copies (which I don't know why I did, they never do). Three sellers however had copies. Have you seen what they are charging?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/4871870146/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1242014363&sr=8-1&condition=all