Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
Man, I haven't played in like year. I should get back into Go, even though I was only ever like KGS 12k, tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
The rules of Go are really, really simple. Like, really simple. What's hard is having any clue what you are doing - the first few games are the hardest, and you have no idea where to play stones. If you can, learn from someone who knows what they are doing - a game between two players that have never played is some weird exercise that doesn't really resemble Go at all.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
Just wanting to say that I'm in the room as Pyrography, and I'm always willing to do absolute-beginner lessons in how to play.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
For anybody that's still on the fence, we were discussing earlier a famous story in which a Japanese player lost a game and promptly vomited blood everywhere and died. Koreans dying of blood clots while playing Starcraft? Pah.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
How do they get the win? Did KGS change something with how escaping works?

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
I mentioned this before, but now that school has started I have a lot of gap time where I'll be sitting in the KGS channel (as pyrography) and willing to teach newbies how to play. So feel free to ask if you see me on!

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

Brut posted:

So I registered on the site on the OP, got in to some game (didn't actually even read the rules yet, figured I'd pick it up as I go along) and some guy kept talking in french and I didn't answer since I don't know french and he left and I won, does that mean I am really awesome at go?

I would tend to think that "picking it up as you go along" is not going to work that well. In the SA room, there's a link to a small javascript site that teaches the very basics - I'd advise going through that.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
3k stands for 3 kyu, a strength rating. You start at around 30k and work your way down to 1k, after which there's ascending dan ranks. You got a 3k rating because that's probably where the french guy was; since you "beat" him the server surmises that you must be around his rank. This is unfortunate, since you aren't, but beginners won't want to play you. Once you read a bit, come in the SA room and we can play you and get you a rank near where you should be.

He probably left because he could tell that you were an absolute beginner, and games where someone doesn't know what they are doing can take hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
Ugh, that poo poo is terrible. I really hate when people strive to be as obnoxious as possible - if you're not doing absolute time, people can really keep playing as long as there are open spaces. You'd think that a 3000 year old asian board game would be free of trolling bullshit, but that's the wonder of the internet, I guess.

Makes you miss the days when you could just disembowel someone over a game.