Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008
Awesome, I'll have to check this out. Really have no idea how good I am, since I just play with friends, but I guess I'll find out. (Expectation: not very good)
Do any of you guys play training games, or give lessons? That would be awesome.

Edit: I'm jkomisarof on KGS

Komisar fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008
Go is fantastic. It's very fun and deep, most players are by and large very polite and friendly, and it'll impress Asian girls expand your mind.

Also the SA Go community has some REALLY good teachers so if you've ever thought of taking up the game you'd pretty much have to be an idiot not to take this opportunity and end up paying some guy $50 an hour for lessons later.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008

Bizarro Buddha posted:

My dad and I just finished making a floor goban today :) It's made out of planks of a wood called Sapele laminated together, with legs cut out of posts and then sanded to shape. It's been months coming, so I'm glad it's finally done! I really don't deserve a board this nice at my skill level...

That is a gorgeous board. I am in awe.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008

Lyon posted:

Where do you play in Philly? Also, your 7d is really suspect in my mind. I've met him before, he used to take lessons from Feng Yun (might still) but last time I had played him he was 1d-3d or so. Granted this was a few years ago, but he never plays and says he burned out on go but claims to be a 7d.

There's the Philadelphia Baduk Association which is located near the intersction of Cheltenham Ave. and 5th. It actually moved and is now located in the basement of a building a few doors down, but it's a really strong club. All older Korean guys who don't speak English well, but it's fun because you don't really need to be able to communicate besides your rank.

I work in Blue Bell and live in Doylestown near to Jon the "7d" (although don't repeat any of what I've written here because he'd know who I am). I doubt I could do your lunch thing because it would be next to impossible to make it down to Philly, play a game, and get back to work on my hour lunch break.

I play on KGS as Scatter, I'm probably 1d-2d or so.

Oh hey, I'm also from Philly and had no idea we had a Go club. I'll have to check this out sometime.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008

Lyon posted:

Yeah, I'd probably be down if there was a time/place that worked and you guys aren't weirdos. If this new job goes well and I make decent money I'd probably move out to Conshohocken or Manayunk. So Pillow Face is from Delaware, qxan is in West Chester, I'm in Doylestown, and PlaneShifter2 is actually in Philly?

Yeah John is definitely strange, I'd be interested to hear more interesting stories about him when they occur. Also, don't give him a dime for go help unless you decide to actually hire him through his website for whatever. I'm sure that's exactly what you're thinking/doing but I just wanted to state it anyway.

I'm sadly in Boston at the moment :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008
Posting for access to ITGO, I used to play a while back but my new nickname is Komisar