Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Lemme just say that watching this game unfold and hearing your thoughts and strategies play out is terribly exciting. Just want y'all to know I really appreciate it! It'd be fantastic if this became a frequent occurrence in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Zeh posted:

Why don't you join us (unless you already have)?

I've sorta joined; I'm one of those pathetic cowards that enjoys thinking about/watching the game more than playing it. I've picked it up and dropped it more times than I can count, but no matter what there's always this guilt at the back of my mind constantly telling me to "just play, you loving loser". There's also the problem that there never seem to be other goons at my level (40kyu) that I can't sort of "grow" with. And I dislike playing with strangers.

My god that was the worst pile of lovely excuses I've ever seen. I'm logging into KGS tonight, gently caress it

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Ok I played a game and got murdered! Thanks a lot to Xambar for the game and to koestl for reviewing. Let's see if I can keep up with it this time.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Will go ever stop being terrifying?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Heads-up that I just requested to be added to the SA group on OGS (OGS name is my username)

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I started playing on OGS because it was easier to get bot games than in KGS; would y'all recommend I switch over to KGS? It seems like more of you play there.

Also, could I get access to ITGO?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

How would I go about getting a review of a game I just played on OGS? It was my first game where I wasn't just completely destroyed, so I'm pretty proud of that.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Is KGS still home base for the goons, or are people migrating to OGS? I'd rather focus my games on whichever server y'all are more likely to play on.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Okay, just started my first correspondence game! Let's see if I find it any easier on my nerves than live games.

Challenge me to a correspondence game! I'm around ~20k probably, but I don't care what your rank is!

e: username "giogadi" in the SA group

giogadi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 24, 2015

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Guys maybe I've had a few too much to drink but can I just say I'm really happy to be playin' with all of you right now

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Speaking of tsumego: can one take too long on tsumego? I've been trying to follow this advice for solving tsumego (tldr: don't rely on solutions, read things out in your head (without a board) until you're 100% positive of your answer) and I can regularly take about an hour to solve problems like this one (black to play).

I'm still a new-ish player (probably hovering around 20k or so) but I feel legit handicapped when it comes to trying to read out life and death problems. Is this normal, and something I'll just get better at with more practice?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

uXs posted:

Yeah just resign when it's clear you lost.

I get this absolutely being the right choice in higher-level games, but isn't it worthwhile to just play the game out in a low-level match? I mean, I understand resigning if there's really nothing happening except the opponent killing dead groups, but isn't there value in playing out endgame moves or fighting over undecided territory, even if there's no way you can catch up for a win? I lose most of my games, but those losses are my only chance to practice endgame for instance.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

uranus posted:

ive been thinking of a 'go review club', which would be something like a book club except we'd 'read' a professional game each week and discuss it. alternatively, or additionally, it could be like a writing group, and we'd each submit a game we played that week and the other members would comment on it and critique it. if that was going to be done, the group should probably be limited in size to around 5 or 6 players, since that would give each member 4 or 5 games to look over each week.

what do you all think? i think it would be helpful to have a group of people to talk about go with on skype or messenger or whatever, and share games with. i know we can do that in the thread but making a sort of camaraderie out of it would be more focused and could be even more helpful.

would anyone be interested in joining such a group?

I think this is a great idea. I probably shouldn't take one of the active spots of the group, but I'd love to just sit in and listen/watch.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Something wrong with the link: "An error occurred during validation"

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

surc posted:

Oh god, sorry dude I timed out against on OGS on like turn 3. I have a bunch of stuff going on that is keeping me all busy, I swear I am usually better about that! :sweatdrop:

I always feel horrible when I do this. But then when it happens to me I shrug and go "cool, a win I guess?"

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

AdorableStar posted:

Correspondance games suck rear end.

I need to get off my rear end and play live go. I tend to get anxious about starting live matches so I've started playing correspondence. What's nice is I get way more daily exposure to go than if I had tried to convince myself to play a live match every day, but with the correspondence games I feel too "played out" to start a live match.

Surprisingly, I actually do feel stronger from a couple months of playing only correspondence, but I resolve to not start any new correspondence matches after my current ones are over so I can commit to live play.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I love the idea. I'm with you about people likely agreeing with the highest ranked players, so it would've been cool if you didn't see the ranks, or if you didn't see which moves were voted on. Although that way you wouldn't get to see the motivating comments for the moves that people provide.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

:aaa: Where in Barcelona was that store?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Apparently a pretty big game is going on now between Ke Jie and Lee Sedol for the Samsung Cup.

What's fun is that we actually have a stream with live English commentary!

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Missed it, supposedly video'll be up in a few hours since it was a longass stream.

This was the first match in a best of 3 series, so they'll be doing this again tonight. I actually really enjoyed the commentary! It's two casters: Andrew Jackson, a very strong amateur; and Munwhang (sp?) Kim, a Korean 9p. Kim had really deep insight on the board, while Andrew did it a good job of pulling his wisdom down to our level. I look forward to watching the stream tonight (7:30 pst iirc)

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

totino boy posted:

its okay, we all lose stones when we dont play for a while

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

AlphaGo won the first match.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

totino boy posted:

i played a pro!

Grats! Was it Hajin Lee? She came to visit my campus this week and I entered a drawing to play in a simul against her but I didn't get lucky :(

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I imagine they're trying to market it less as a steam game and more like a fancy ~~training tool~~~ but yeah lol that price

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I've been playing more go

I've been waking up early and while I'm still sleepy I'll just queue up a blitz game on OGS before my addled brain can come up with an excuse not to play. It's real fun! Although the 5s byo-yomi is pretty severe, I'm surprised with how much thinking can still happen on each turn. It's also training me not to just zone out completely when it's not my turn because I need that valuable time to evaluate the board.

I've heard blitz can lead to bad habits etc but for now it's actually getting me to play at all, which is better than nothing?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Guys I did it

I finally lost the ? in my KGS rank. I beat LibertyBot [15k] and am now an official [14k], which I think is a huge over-estimate of my rank but w/e!

Now I'll hopefully have a better chance of getting matches on KGS. Feels good y'all

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Oh what I logged in tonight and I have a ? again, goddammit gotta play more I guess

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Zesty Mordant posted:

Usually I'll play a game after having not for several months, and about 100 moves in start to think "poo poo I have so much else I need to do, gently caress, why did I start this, augh think think" and then start making random or dumb moves until the other guy does a 30-stone kill because I connected but only made false eyes and I resign. ymmv

Omg this is me

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Does anyone happen to have that hardcore image from some go manga where a kid gets challenged to 4-d go by some multidimensional being?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I think it's been literal years since I played a game, but I always end up glancing at this thread and thinking "...maybe..."

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

She’s not so active anymore, but Hajin Lee’s channel is relaxing and high-skill go https://youtube.com/@HayleesWorldofGoBaduk