Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is KGS still where all the goons play? The nova.gs client is much better looking. Either way I'm poo poo so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is it fascism yet posted:

Checking in to say that this is a very fun and good game. You probably knew this already.

Thanks for this thread, it helped preparing myself for the go club at University. I will start playing online as soon as i'm confident i can understand why i lose :)

Just start on KGS now, there are some beginners, I've improved so quickly by just playing loads there.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Thanks for your thoughts, all. It's essentially a game between an adult and a child, so that does make sense; I would guess it's about 70% a crude 8 bit picture of the monster and 30% an indication of the importance of the monster to the story as a whole, which is something that's been well signposted elsewhere.

This sounds like a pretty deep stick figure internet cartoon.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone else get loads of error messages when running the KGS client? It works but is a bit annoying

e: Also how should I be before trying to play on Tygem?

distortion park fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 4, 2014

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

haha I meant how good do you need to be, but it was a faintly amusing typo. It's a bunch of Java errors on win8, I have Java 7.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

IMlemon posted:

Black to live. Probably easy for most of you but it felt great to find during the game when I had barely any time left on my clock.

F19? I'm pretty bad so that might be completely wrong

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rurik posted:

Are there any websites or resources on the Internet where I can type in the games I've played and their results so I can follow my progress? Cool generated graphs would be nice. Or do I have to use just Google Docs?

What book is this? I'm interested in printed resources as well since I don't want to sit on the computer all the time.

If you play on kgs it records everything for you and makes a nice rank graph.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

xopods posted:

The Maginot Fuseki leaves too much aji. :rimshot:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Xom posted:

(as usual) Black to play.

C4?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

b1? If white c1, then black atari at d1, white captures at e1, black atari at e2. White connects, and black can atari at c3, ruining the eyeshape.

I'm not reading this anymore. I'm sure if white doesn't connect and tries to make eyes there's something in c1 that's false.

White lives because of E4

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Xom posted:

(as usual) Black to play.

Ko?

if black just plays c1 what can white do about it? feel like i'm missing something

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

It's not a large single game, but 9 gobans joined together - note the borders. Although they could use it as one large goban, the current stone positions suggest not.

I think it is one game - some of the stones would be dead if it weren't.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

xopods posted:

How would you respond to R8 as Black?

R11?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd say that the community on KGS is far better than most places, people are generally polite and most will chat a little if you make an effort.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just looked up a position on eidogo and the move i played in the actual game was labelled as 'An amateurish mistake'. Fair enough but still :(

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is it just me or is the ranking on online-go.com a bit off? My games seem a lot more one sided than on kgs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

brakanjan posted:

Also does anyone know any other site than KGS that is worth playing on. I am a casual player and played on KGS a few years ago and I remember it being quite ruthless to find matches against better players due to the ranking system. If you start at 30 most people did not want to play with you.

you can start with a proposed rank up to about 10k or so i think and it'll work out what ranking you are pretty quickly.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

In this tournament I am playing a lot of opponents whom I have never heard of. Who are you people?

i'm in the goon ladder with a different username, sparsely

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

uranus posted:

well.. looks like 7k on kgs is still ddk pretty much everywhere else in the world... so that explains that i guess :'(

I got up to like 13k on KGS but get kurbstomped on tygem constantly at 18k. it's cool to play better players but it would also be nice to win occaisionally.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Illegal Move posted:

Is it just me, or does KGS have less players than it did a few years ago? I've been finding it difficult to quickly find a game on KGS, so I've mostly been playing on online-go.com.

I just had a game where my opponent misread a ladder. For some reason, this just made me really happy:

I wonder how many stones before then he realised he was off by one

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Can someone invite me to the SA group on online-go? i've got a new account

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

o.m. 94 posted:

What's the account name friend

Oops.

It's "SparseSpace"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cool that they used machine learning rather than mc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Borachon posted:

They used machine learning to guide MC. MCST is still at the core of the engine. Details of the algorithm published today in Nature, and the article can be found here: http://deepmind.com/alpha-go.html.

It's really nice work, and the games are really good.

Importantly:
"AlphaGo is scheduled to play Lee Sedol 9-dan, the Korean pro widely recognized as the strongest player of the last decade, in a 5-game series in March."

Without using mc they still beat all the current programs

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

I think the only part I don't get is training against 6d kgs games. There are tons of kifu for pro games so why not use those? Well, maybe with deep learning it doesn't matter if it trains enough. I dunno.

Was probably just a large dataset in a convenient format.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Goquest is excellent, i definitely feel like I'm improving my fighting.

e: the bots ranks seem a bit inflated though, I think some players must just resign at the start against them.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 16, 2019

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Heyo everyone, I'm someone who loves go but doesn't have anyone to play with in person. I tried a couple clubs in my area but... they're not my type of people. I don't know anything about my rating or anything like that as I've only played casually with friends who I had to teach the rules in the first place. I might be interested in trying my hand at an online game if someone is open to walking a novice through the steps to do so?

The easiest ways are:
* Get goquest on your phone for blitz 9x9 games. Very addictive and you'll get way better at fighting.
* Make an account on online-go.com for full size games. It can take a while to find games there though. They also have a very good library of puzzles for beginners.

Both of those will try and match you up with players of roughly equal skill, although it night take a few games to do so. There's also KGS which used to be the best for beginners, idk anymore.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Is there any way to figure out where your ranking is in terms of skill, or will that just become clear through play? When I tried to match up with people in the past, I've been asked my rank and I'm like idk, I know the rules and gently caress up a bunch.

Play a bunch online and it'll stabilise eventually. They aren't that meaningful at 18k+ since you'll improve very quickly

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

GoQuest starts you at like 1k and you’ll move up and down from there. Turn off the “see other peoples ranks” option and just fight until you’re better.

It started me with an ELO of 900 and then for the first few games did something weird, sometimes it would go up even when I lost., I think 10k is like 1050, 1d is 1700.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

That seems low for 10k. I’m 14k on OGS and I’m 1250 on goquest.

I used to be about 13k on KGS, and after playing loads of goquest I've definitely improved my fighting but only reached 1200 ( then I played a bunch on the bus home from the bar...)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

derp posted:

on ogs anyway 1d is 2300 i think

https://senseis.xmp.net/?GoQuest

I think it's different, I don't know why though, I thought the way ELO worked made it pretty comparable.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I tried the OGS AI assisted review, it was sort of useful? It pointed out a lot of moves where I gave up sente for insufficient benefit.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

This, but the OP made me want to actually play Go again. Last time I quit, must've been five years ago, I was like 20k, and was just hitting a brick wall.

Install go quest you'll gain several ranks on larger go boards by getting better at fighting

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It could be the case that someone comes up with a new way of representing or analysing Go that lets them prove that a certain sequence is optimal, but that isn't really the direction the latest advancements have gone in.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Has GoQuest seen a bunch of rank inflation? I haven't played in ages (like a year) but am suddenly winning loads of games, before i was appropriately ranked

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Doing some Tsumego then getting to use something you learnt to win a goquest match is incredibly satisfying

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just had a very DDK moment: I passed, my opponent passed, I lost by 2.5 points. Then the OGS game analyzer suggested I should have been 30 points ahead, and after looking more closely at its suggested moves I realized that I could have taken half of one of his big groups.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've noticed a difference in play styles between OGS and Goquest at my level (10k on ogs). OGS players love playing the 3-3 points in 9x9, but Goquest ones don't. I wonder why? I started out on Goquest for 9x9 and am having trouble punishing it. I'm sure it's suboptimal though, playing 3-3 seems like such a small move a lot of the time.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Scythe posted:

I think playing the 4-4 on top is the best response to a 3-3 opening on a 9x9. If not, maybe 5-5 (by transposition, since 5-5 is a good opening and 3-3 is a bad response to it)?

Edit: Where are people playing these days? I've historically been mostly OGS but recently have been on KGS a bit thanks to the the new web client for it; it's pretty good (minus the lack of automatch and it not letting you stay in the lobby through a disconnect).

I only really play goquest and ogs now. OGS has plenty of games at my rank and the features and ui are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Playing against humans will really hammer home some common patterns - e.g. around what happens when two lines approach a board edge. I lost a lot of points before working them out!