Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

So what's the best online store for buying Go materials? I'd like to see a goon's reccomendation before I go out and search for one myself. I don't know if I can get a board + stones (Not magnetic) for under $50 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I played a 15k go robot with a 5 stone handicap (Since it said my rank was 19k?), and it resigned here. I thought it was doing pretty well, but was I wrong? Is anyone able to rate just how "okay" my playing is?

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 19, 2013

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

There still has to be a reason that he resigned at that point. (Or maybe I should be playing humans, but you can hardly find anyone on automatch within 2k range of me at this time.)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit, I'll play you on KGS later today if you're interested since I, too, suffer from "not playing enough" syndrom. I'm only around 22k, so I shouldn't be much of a challenge.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Fight against a 15k (apparently) go bot. I essentially applauded once I realised what had happened here. I also cried a little on the inside. Ended up losing by around 50 points because I couldn't do anything about his top. Also probably because I lost this fight down here.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Losing to a 20k can only mean one thing. More alcohol. :getin:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I won an awesome game on Tygem this morning; it was essentialy a giant capture race of possibly 4 groups, later two, where the most important one had an extra liberty in ko. I ended up winning and capped 28 or so stones, but my opponent probably could've won this race if he just filled in the ko now that I think about it some more. At least, that's what I think without going back to the board which I should do later.

Of course, the whole thing wouldn't have happened if he hadn't hosed up royally with reading earlier. (Okay, you're going to keep extending even though it's really REALLY useless here since it's 100% dead?)

I also felt like I played the worst one yet when a 19k? player was automatched with me. It was fine for the first few moves, and then I kept seeing things like constant attaching etc. that makes me feel like I'm at 25k again, and I played like I was. Got frustrated and hosed up reading a few times too. He even double hane'd on a 3.3 invasion at one point. :cripes:

e: No, the fight does not work out well for black if he plays the ko; I can just capture faster.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 9, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

If you want to lose your 100 games quickly, then I do reccomend Tygem wholeheartedly. Yeah, even if you register at 18k and don't get a lot of players who are actually 18k, it's still a learning experience. You'll get games fater than kgs too if you play on times when people in Asia are awake (Which I do.) I only have 3 wins and 10 losses and I feel that it's one of the best things I did since the people there don't give up a fight, won't hesitate to invade, won't hesitate to punish you severly for your mistakes, and will even sometimes play completely in your area even though it's endgame and they're already dead! (You still can't ignore it.)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

I remember playing on tygem when I was like 15k and it was the first time I saw someone express disgust at my playing. They went like "do you even know how to play this game? what a waste of time..."

It was an interesting experience.

You mean you were able to get someone to speak to you in English? I haven't had anyone actually talk to me besides those pre-translated things you can say across different language clients. The only thing I have to worry about on Tygem is agreeing to games which someone has set a bit too long. Someone actually set the time to an hour on me and I didn't notice, and he proceeded to go afk for a good 30 minutes. When he came back, I was in a game on kgs and made HIM wait it out. Also, there shouldn't be any use of a score estimator by default, so I always have to retick that.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xyven posted:

I just died in Gote, THANKS OBAMA

I thank Obama everytime I self-atari. :smug:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I thought playing on Tygem was beneficial to me; at least a bit. Sure, most of the time I play against people who know what they're doing way better than I do, but that just makes me learn from what they're doing right and how I just don't know how to respond to it. And then there's the entirely different style of play that I wasn't, and probably still am not, used to when I started playing there. I had one guy tell me that I did decently fighting enough for my level, and I guess that's thanks to Tygem? I'm 17k on kgs now as opposed to the 20k I was when I started, but I guess that's because there's not much to learn to improve at this level. Yeah, the rating system is terrible, but in my experience Tygem games are much more exciting than on kgs.

3-16 Win to loss ratio there. Just 84 more losses to go. :smuggo:

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 11, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

IGS is kind of between tygem and KGS in how the ranking system is but it has one really stupid clause:

What the hell? Of course it's pretty easy to just say "hi", but seriously? :psyduck:

Also, I have a question. What's the "go" definition of developing? I remmeber playing some third line moves near the star-points on the side, but I was told fourth line would be better because it means I'm able to develop easier. I thought developing was trying to get territory easier for yourself, and thus I played on the third line. Is it then making a moyo for yourself? Isn't the defintion of that a framework for territory?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt1FvPxmmfE needs to go in the ITGO message of the day.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

We should have an ITGO Rengo with an SDK paired with a DDK. Thoughts?

e:

I messed this one up pretty badly throughout the game by which I mean should've lost, but somehow came up on top. (Let's not learn the 3-3 invasion joseki. Give me a wall there on the third line and then try to kill me. Also, waste a lot of moves capping etc. while I just play what looks to be random places that actually gives me the edge.) He ended up resigning. Also, my win says B+Forf. I think he resigned, and I don't know why it says that.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 17, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

I wasn't aware such a monstrosity could be. Dear God Khel, what have you done?

W+1019.5

I have no idea where to go on this board, and there are so many crosscuts. My weak fighting cannot keep up. Also I ended up with, like, four alive groups out of the whole board. Wasn't as bad as it could've been. :shrug:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

Holy crap. That is ridiculous. How long does a game on a board that big take?

The moves were ~3 seconds to 20 seconds at most and we both had 30 minutes on the clock; I think we weren't even in Byo-yomi when it finished. At least, I barely had gotton into it. But since most of it was me failing and dying everywhere I placed a stone, I think it'd be a lot longer with stronger players who have to know what they're doing and will have something to think about. I better stick to 19x19 and 9x9 for now. :v:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

what, no 13x?

I don't really care too much about 13x13; if I want a good, fast game for fighting, I'll go to 9x9. Or else if I want to work on all the aspects (Of which I know the basics of none), I'll go to 19x19. 13x13 is just some middle child that I don't really feel good with/aroumd. I've only done a few of them though because of that.

Anyways, I had an idea for a different go variant where every 10/20/25 moves or so, you switch colours with your opponet. If you think about it, and you actually play as well as you can on both sides, it could be an interesting variation since it forces you to punish/take advantage of whatever weaknesses you, yourself, left behind as well as whatever your opponet did as well.

I'm also the worst person to be doing this, especially with someone much stronger, since everything I touch turns to shite.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

Svartvit, I'll play you on KGS later today if you're interested since I, too, suffer from "not playing enough" syndrom. I'm only around 22k, so I shouldn't be much of a challenge.

Go status: played.

As a side note, this is the first time Tsumego has actually had any application with me. I don't really do them, and I guess the ones that I have aren't hard enough, but recognising this feels sweet.

Edit because I don't want to triple post:

Motherfucker thinks he's killed my group up there, but then I found this move.

He ended up escaping. :smug:

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 21, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

I'm going to do another lecture tonight (Tuesday) at 7:30 EST on KGS in the Beginners' Room. Last week, I gave a kind of hand-waving overview of the strategy of the game, emphasizing that a great deal of the strategy and tactics of Go are rooted in efficiency. Tonight, I'm going to be talking about what efficiency means on the tactical level and covering all the basic two-stone shapes in the open board, from nobi up through ogeima - what they generally accomplish, when it's appropriate to use them, and some common continuations that arise from them.

Following this there will a 10-hour lecture on the Taisha, its myriad of variations, and how it can all be avoided by someone to chickenshit to play it.

I so want to play it in my ddk games. :negative:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

In the go lecture about extensions and jumps, we discussed various things such as scoring under different rulesets and how a bent four in the corner is alive or dead, or seki depending on if it's Chinese or Japanese. Also unremovable ko threats.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I think the 25 minute clock with 30 second overtime is the perfect setting; it's not slow as hell but not too fast either.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

ThePineapple posted:

Personally I find that slow as hell. 10 - 15 min + 5x30s is my ideal setting. On one hand there's plenty of time to stop and think for important moves, but on the other it goes fast enough so that you can play a few games in a sitting. Also, for any beginners, I'd say playing more games has a better impact on performance than playing longer games.

Anyway, on a totally different topic and for anyone who didn't know, Gu Li and Lee Sedol are playing a jubango (10-game-match) this year, with the winner collecting ~$800,000 US ($5 mil RMB). First game is happening this Saturday, and will be broadcast on KGS. Get hyped(!?)
http://www.usgo.org/news/2014/01/lee-sedol-gu-li-jubango-to-be-broadcast-live-on-kgs/

I'm perfectly fine with the ten minute time setting as well, but I usually find myself hitting byo-yomi after about half of the game. I don't really take too long to think, though; usually in ranked games with 25 minutes on the clock my opponet will either be in byo-yomi or have less than 10 minutes left when I've only used 10 of my 25.

Lee Sedol is going to win.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

We could get together on skype or something.

Looks interesting; I'm sure if some of the amateur dans in ITGO get in on it, they'd be able to explain what the hell is going on nicely.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Well I think KGS will be fine, the games will move pretty slowly; I'm hoping someone will be playing out the board live somewhere.

Oh, you mean play out the board in ITGO? Yeah, definately better than going to the actual main room where it's being played out in which was the only thing I considered. :doh:
That chat is going to be terrible.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

I wouldn't guarantee it. With Gu Li vs. Lee Sedol I expect most of the games to degenerate into crazy fights. I can understand and explain reasonable positions, but when pros get to fighting I'm often like WHAT IS GOING ON WHAT DID HE JUST DO :psyduck: same as the rest of you.

It will be a fun time. :getin:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Game starts being broadcasted on KGS at 18:30 tonight EST. :frogsiren:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

2014 Go Superbowl Between The Sedol Hawks and The Li Tarantulas is LIVE! - ITGO MOTD

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Is Baduk TV even worth buying? Not just for viewing the Lee Sedol game, but in general?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I lost this game after I decided to get into a complicated fight that ended up with me loving up a capturing race. Oh sure, fill that liberty because you think black can cut there when it's a tiger's mouth AND even if black peeps he's just going to fill in his own liberties at that point. But anyways, I thought I was doing okay up to this point, but I had no idea what to do about black's influence. How does white look in this picture? Up until after this I thought I was doing well.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xyven posted:

Black looks ahead to me. White has ~60 points on the board and not much room to pick up more, while black has so much potential that if he can convert even half of it into territory he'll win handily.

It's at this point I noticed, "You know, I'm going to have a hard time making any more points if I just stay low like I am right now. I know! I'll build a giant wall of wallness with these three stones and then when I reach the top, I'll invade black's corner! Yeaaah!"

It went as well as you'd expect.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit posted:

if i were you i'd try to threaten the left hand side to make ladders work for me, then just try to push through at Q13 then P15 and go bananas. this possible?

It looks possible, but black can just keep changing the ladder for every stone he has in that wall, so I have to make sure all of them work. I still think it's a nice choice, though.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit posted:

I've gotten embroiled in the strangest OGS drama between an insane 17k sandbagger and a 30k weird guy "ninja" player who claims that I crushed him only because he wanted to test my skills.

What does this sandbagger have to do with you crushing a "30k" player?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

Got my first blowout win on a full size board

Probably shouldnt be feeling too proud, the guys strategy seemed to be 'make giant walls that enclose nothing'. I should have been dead on the bottom left but he made a mistake and let me live in seki. I am proud i saw that his upper right corner could be killed. I killed it real early and I think he thought it was alive the whole time cause he started shoring it up in end game.

Anyway, yay go.

Did it still count the territory in seki? Are you even supposed to do that?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

Here's the game if anyone was curious http://online-go.com/game/478670

What is with that opening? If you played 3-4, it'd be like you played three corners and he approached you. :psyduck:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

One day we will meet in the battlefields in a game without words. And we will fight evenly.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I call this one: "Start as many kos as possible."

I have too many dodgy looking groups near the edges that I feel white could throw-in to get something out of, but I think I read there's nothing wrong.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Please upload these SGFs to http://eidogo.com/, an endgame screenshot doesn't tell us anything!

http://eidogo.com/#url:http://files.gokgs.com/games/2014/2/3/b5shadow-Kheldragar.sgf
Please don't laugh at my shameful play. :cripes:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Beginners have a tendency to overestimate how close to becoming solid territory a framework is, and therefore:

(a) panic when they see the opponent getting one and dive in right away, and
(b) also panic when the opponent invades their framework, as if this is something unexpected and they have to now kill the invading stones in order to "keep" their "territory."

This is exactly why I did what I did. Also that L&D in the top was really tricky I think; usually I tend to avoid making empty triangles in all situations, and it never looked like that would be the variation to kill. I thought he could get two eyes for sure anyways.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

This was a very satisfying win for me, http://eidogo.com/#3gTd5OoFN

I'm sure lots of mistakes were made, but it felt good to defend against his invasion, then turn it around and eat up his territory so bad that he quit.

To be honest, white's second move is a huge :cripes: mistake in and of itself. I don't necessarily blame you for taking all of the star points at that point though; what's white going to do, take all of that centre territory?

Yes, that's exactly what he tries to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

Yeah I wasnt sure if I was missing something. i thought that was a terrible strategy... guess I was right!

I mean, hell, I opened up an sgf editor to find out what the score would be if black took all the centre and white got all of the third line territory. (In nice, neat boxes.) The score ends up being W 142.5 B 121. So, even if the centre isn't reduced one bit, white still has the score advantage. 56 white stones to 48 black stones. So, I mean, you know...