Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I play on KGS as Scatter 3d and am completely willing to play some teaching games with beginners or lower ranked players. The OP is a really great teacher and is a 2d, so hit him up. There are a number of 4 kyuish players who I'm sure would also be willing to play.

So stop by and play a game of go.

Also as this is an Ask/Tell feel free to ask questions about anything like tournaments, experiences with the game, etc. Some of us are in the American Go Association (or the Canadian or European) and have played at big tournaments etc. I myself have never played in a tournament or anything but I have made several trips to a dedicated go club where every member is a 40 year old+ Korean, very few of whom speak English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Exactly what WuChou said, the elementary series is great and perfect for you as a 9k, but do not buy 38 Basic Joseki. 38 Basic Joseki is the worst go book ever written. Attack and Defense is probably the "best" out of the series, tesuji and life & death are both pretty good problem books, In The Beginning is a pretty decent opening book, and The Endgame is a decent mix of theory, counting, and problems.

The direction of play is interesting, some people swear by it, I know sensual donkey punching does.

Then you could always get problem books, joseki books, etc. The Get Strong series is good, so are the 1001, 501, etc opening/l&d/whatever problems. Ishida's joseki dictionaries are considered the best for learning joseki, although apparently they're a little bit dated now, but still a good place to start. I'm getting two of them for Christmas I think since joseki knowledge is a big weakness in my go.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Holy poo poo, I feel like that kid's voice and personality cannot be real. I guess movie stereotypes come from somewhere, but god drat that has to be the nerdiest kid I've ever heard.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I think during the last US Go Congress they had a professional play Mogo while it was linked up to 700 super computers or something ridiculous like that. It beat a 9d professional with a 9 stone handicap. The pro said it played around 2-3d level but that occasionally it made 6d or so moves.

We're still a long way off from having strong computer opponents that anyone can download and play.

Edit: Yeah bots are mostly around 6k now as far as I know, so you must have been thinking way back.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Foggy posted:

I was at my college library yesterday looking for a useful go book. While I didn't find any, I did come across something called The Protracted Game; A Wei-chʻi Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy by Scott A. Boorman. It's (as you might expect) a detailed analysis of Mao's military strategy and how it uses various go techniques, complete with illustrated go games opposite military maps of occupied territory in China with analogous situations. Worth picking up if you're into completely insane board-game-based military history.

Yeah that sounds like a big stretch except in the vaguest sense or they picked one game out of the thousands and thousands of go games that is somehow kind of similar.

"Then Mao, much like a play at 3-3 against a star point, invaded behind enemy lines." :jerkbag:

sensual donkey punching posted:

D10

Howard posted:

d8

Play faster, it's an interesting game so far. BLITZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Mostly online. I know a bunch of the people here play in clubs and some have been to the US Go Congress but I don't think anyone is super active in the AGA or the CGA for that matter, we have a lot of Canadians unfortunately.

I've never participated in an actual tournament or anything, but I helped start a club at Penn State and have played at the Philadelphia Baduk Association which is an old Korean guy hang out near Philly.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah 9x9 games are fine for teaching the rules and playing quick games until the person you're teaching has a decent understanding. After that 9x9 is fun for quick very violent fighting games but not much else.

9x9 is nothing like 19x19 except in a localized tactical fight sense, you don't get any of the full board dynamic.

13x13 is a little closer, but still not really worth using to teach for 19x19 because the person should already know the rules from you're 9x9 and while there is more a full board dynamic to 13x13 it's not the same and you might as well just transition immediately.

Just jump right in to the large board and learn from getting destroyed by people who are better than you. Lose your first 100 games as fast as you can or whatever that stupid proverb is.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Foggy posted:

Alright. The other reason I like Gnu Go is because I don't have a lot of big blocks of unbroken time where I can sit down and spend a half hour playing a 19x19 game and then another half hour reviewing it. If I play very conservatively I can usually pull off a corner group (I know the last move was extraneous) but whenever I try anything like an attack I always get punished, which is a little repetitive.

The problem with Gnu Go is that you will eventually find out "tricks" to beating it. The programming can be exploited to a pretty decent extent or at least it could be in the past. This will lead you learning improper technique. When you're playing a person on a 9x9 they won't tenuki randomly from a vital spot or play some weird move that you can ignore.

You'll get good at beating Gnu Go but not really get good at go. This holds true at higher levels anyway, for a beginner Gnu Go might not be all bad.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
If you enjoy terrible jokes and whiney men-children then I have to agree.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

xau posted:

Are any of you guys going to the US Go Congress? It's in DC this year, August 1-8. http://www.usgo.org/congress/

I've never been, even when it was an hour and a half away from me in Millersville, but DC sounds fairly tempting. If it wasn't so ridiculously expensive I'd be far more inclined to go check it out. I have a bunch of friends who live in DC so I may have to attend, or at least do the non-playing pass thing.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm not a member of the AGA nor have I ever been to an AGA sponsored club. I've been to the Philadelphia Baduk Association which is listed on the AGA but I don't think they really have anything to do with them.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Where do you play in Philly? Also, your 7d is really suspect in my mind. I've met him before, he used to take lessons from Feng Yun (might still) but last time I had played him he was 1d-3d or so. Granted this was a few years ago, but he never plays and says he burned out on go but claims to be a 7d.

There's the Philadelphia Baduk Association which is located near the intersction of Cheltenham Ave. and 5th. It actually moved and is now located in the basement of a building a few doors down, but it's a really strong club. All older Korean guys who don't speak English well, but it's fun because you don't really need to be able to communicate besides your rank.

I work in Blue Bell and live in Doylestown near to Jon the "7d" (although don't repeat any of what I've written here because he'd know who I am). I doubt I could do your lunch thing because it would be next to impossible to make it down to Philly, play a game, and get back to work on my hour lunch break.

I play on KGS as Scatter, I'm probably 1d-2d or so.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
If I'm able ever to make it down to Philly during the week for lunch I'll definitely try. I don't see it being possible because I get an hour lunch break and I work an inside sales job at a software company in Norristown, but who knows?

If you ever organize an after work thing I can definitely try. I get off at 5 but driving into the city in rush hour would be miserable and I'd probably miss the meeting anyway.

The Philadelphia Baduk Association website is here. It has the updated address. The club is more of a community hang out, the area has a large Korean population and it's open everyday from 2pm-11pm or so. People don't actually show up until after work though because, well, they're at work.

Yeah, the kid is a little off. His other name on KGS used to be Kakashisan so ADTRW all the way (granted I enjoy me some animes too). What's he doing down in Philly? Working for the law firm his parents work for?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

qxan posted:

I had no idea there were so many go goons near Philly! We should find some halfway point between us so we can play a game someday. In person.

Yeah, I'd probably be down if there was a time/place that worked and you guys aren't weirdos. If this new job goes well and I make decent money I'd probably move out to Conshohocken or Manayunk. So Pillow Face is from Delaware, qxan is in West Chester, I'm in Doylestown, and PlaneShifter2 is actually in Philly?

Yeah John is definitely strange, I'd be interested to hear more interesting stories about him when they occur. Also, don't give him a dime for go help unless you decide to actually hire him through his website for whatever. I'm sure that's exactly what you're thinking/doing but I just wanted to state it anyway.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I could possibly do DC on those dates. No promises because I have no idea what will be going on two months from now, but I live relatively close and have a number of friends in DC.

I'm Scatter on KGS.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah if the problem doesn't have a solution with it I don't know of any programs that will solve it for you. Granted, I don't keep up with any new developments in the computer go world so I'm probably not the best person to answer the question.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I was planning on going to the congress for the weekend days because I have a friend who lives in DC. Alas, I have a wedding I must attend and will not be able to make the go congress.

Blendy, that's the best acronym I've seen for ITGO, unfortunately you guys have broken the vow of silence and now must be "removed."

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
drat that Phoenixville club in the article is only a half hour from my work. Unfortunately it's an hour from my house and I'd be leaving Norristown in the middle of rush hour. I might still check it out sometime.

Did they have anyone of dan level strength or would it be a waste of time?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I live in PA 45 minutes north of Philly. Screw NYC, let's just pick a place somewhere near Philly if this actually happens.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm generally free any night except for Tuesdays. I can also be found on the weekends although Saturday is probably out until college football is over.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
The place in Cheltenham might be our best bet. I don't know of any real clubs other than that one that we can meet at randomly. I'm sure we could find something but it's a pretty cool place and they're nice, just strong.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Congrats, never been to a go tournament but I'm sure it's fun.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
KGS is great but most of the admins are retarded. That's why we have our little private room so we can say whatever we want without fear.

I should play go again, but I'm lazy.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
To the Philly area people.. I just moved to Manayunk. I still work in Blue Bell so lunch breaks are probably out, but just wanted to give an update incase anyone wants to meet up and play somewhere.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
You losers are still playing this "go" game eh?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Just make poo poo up, I routinely give people bad advice. If it's really bad they'll end up losing a bunch because of it and learn that it was actually terrible advice and to do the opposite.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
What go book is that? I might buy it. Phrases such as, "Thickness billows out like towering clouds, wondrous to behold." are too good to pass up. If the rest of the book is like that I'm in.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
The Android app is ehh. I wouldn't bother breaking your iPhone in order to install it. KGS is the best server for beginners in regards to getting reviews, teaching games, etc but IGS has more players.

KGS is the most user friendly and beginner friendly, once you have some vague idea of what you're doing I'd say feel free to branch out, but KGS is the best overall.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, not sure where all this Android app nonsense is coming from. It was developed by WMS who created and has owned KGS forever.

Further, anyone who doesn't play go online is a cretin.

Further further, I bought the app and it's eh, I never even cashed in my KGS+ credit because I just don't give a drat.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Meh. Go is the devil. I have been losing to 1ks recently and it is making me very sad.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Congrats on the library job blendy! I was just in Chicago for vacation and then work but never ran into you on KGS so didn't have a chance to try and look you up.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I haven't played in at least a year, maybe even two to three at this point, but I was a solid 1d on KGS a while back. I seem to remember they made the ranks tougher at some point so maybe my old rank would translate to a current KGS 2k (if I was still in my "prime")?

I joined your discord and I'll rejoin ITGO once I register a new name. I think the last name I played as was Squiggles.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Knowing simple variations of common joseki can be useful so, as others stated, you don't end up losing an entire corner position with absolutely nothing gained.

That being said I reached 1d on KGS without know all but the absolute most basic 3-4 and 4-4 joseki, maybe 10-15 total.

I just play real simple openings and refuse to let my opponent draw me into a complicated joseki. I'll take a minor point or positional loss to ensure I don't get completely smashed.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Overwined posted:

Honestly, I think that people that pretend to be bored with a game that has more legal board moves than there are known particles in the universe are kinda dumb.

I think a large reason people get bored/frustrated with go is when they stop improving and sometimes you just want to do something different/new. The game is always fun when you're playing but I completely understand why people slow down and eventually move on to other hobbies. I took two years off and just started playing again and I have no idea how long I'll play for this time.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm in the process of recreating ITGO but we need people to actually join KGS and hang out in the room or it will just die again. Anyone want to reorganize the ITGO ladder? I'll be active for at least a couple of months before I disappear again. I'm probably 1k-1d on KGS.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Also hit me up on Discord and I'll review as many games for as many people as I can in ITGO. My advice is suspect but I'll try :).

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

I'd like a review (10k), if anyone has time. https://online-go.com/game/9429587

I'm playing as black. My biggest things that I noticed were that I should have played M6 much sooner (like around move 72 or so), and I completely misread my attempted reduction at C12 on move 129--it should have been D12 instead. I ended up winning the game by just a few points, mostly due to winning a messy double-ko fight near the end. But I think there's still a lot I could learn from a review of this game.

edit: looks like this game bumped me to 9k. Woohoo, SDK at last!

If no one beats me to it I'll review tomorrow. Your Haskell (I think?) posts were always interesting.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Ah the old Cho Chikun anti tesuji.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Pander posted:

Isn't fuseki mostly just about recognizing biggest moves? I don't think there are always right or wrong moves outside of some basic josekis or responses, just directions you want to play.

breakfast/Alexandre Dinerchtein used to (maybe still does?) have 10 fuseki problems on his website that would estimate your strength (at the opening). The problems were set up with multiple answers and each answer had a score from best to worst. Opening problems are definitely possible but they are harder to quantify so there aren't nearly as many of them as there are joseki/tesuji/life and death problems.

edit: https://play.baduk.org/go-test/start.php

I got European 2d which says I should be a KGS 4d (I'm a weak 1d)... I guess I'm better at problems than I am at playing Go :(.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
The AI plays that atari at the top incorrectly, go back and play the atari the other way and see what happens. Everything looked decent other than that shape mistake and a potential liberty issue in the top left, have to look for those weaknesses and even though it feels slow you'll want to protect them. You should start playing on KGS against people once you feel confident. Have you read the strategy for 19x19 or mostly been focused on 9x9?

I play as Squiggles on KGS. I'm a strong 1k/weak 1d so if you message me I can review games for you.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 22, 2017