Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Yo woss, just letting you know I am still reading your books and didn't give up on Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

belt posted:

How long does the typical game last?

Anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours. It depends on how long you like to think to be honest. I prefer 30 minutes on each side with 5 30 second countdowns (byo-yomis). Others like 5 minutes a side with 5 second byo-yomis. I'd say 20 minutes per side is about average, which equals to about 45 minutes total for a good thinking game. The time flies by too.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Oh segway, you're not worthless, you just need to play more! :glomp:

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Hahaha, bojo. I can't believe you're making an appearance now. The SA room is vacant, but you're more than welcome to the new room man.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
So are more people going to join or what? Come on, don't stem the tide now! There are lots of noobs who need other noobs to train with!

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

Doomclown posted:

What's the new room?

ITGO. Go to the SA room under the social tab and ask anyone there (nicely) if you can join the super secret club. We'll add you to the list.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
This is why we don't hang out in there anymore. Quit chatting at all in SA!

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Hooray for all the newcomers and oldcomers rediscovering the game! This truly is the most addicting game, and you know you're stuck when you get emotionally distressed or excited because of a game. There are times when I want to quit forever, but I come back and play some more.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Alls I know is Go is hard and brain smashing and it is the only game that I can play for the rest of my life and never beat. Video games and MMO's come and go, but Go, like Chess, will be around for centuries.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Fundamentals of Go is a waste of money. Attack and Defense and In the Beginning were the two books that really helped me, and still help me today. Fundamentals is basically a book that tells you stuff you learn on your own by playing games. Have someone review three games for you and you'll gain just as much knowledge as Fundamentals. I don't think anyone in ITGO actually recommends it. If anything, the Elementary Go Series IS the fundamentals of Go.

Oneday for Life fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 11, 2008

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

sensual donkey punching posted:

welp i would recommend lessons in the fundamentals of go but maybe i'm gay

you guys are just fags and you know is. J/k wosskun!

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
bee tee dubs, if you join the room and no one is around, don't think that we've all abandoned the game or anything. Sometimes there are zero people there sometimes there are 15. Just hang around for a while and a more experienced player will eventually log and and can help you with some lessons.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
by the way, the best thing to do on kgs when you are losing is to escape. You can just resign and the other player can bask in his glory of Go, or you could just close the game and not resign. Eventually the system will count it as a loss for you, so nothing really changes, but boy howdy does it make pubbies mad. No clue why, they still get the win, but it sure is funny to watch them squirm. You always get the last laugh!

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

GoBob posted:

I know I'm taking flame bait, but I think this should be addressed. DON'T escape. KGS players hate escapers more than anything. If you escape a bunch of games, people will not play you, as players tend to bitch about escapers all the time. Most people check your game record before accepting a game with you. Escaped losses and escaped(unfinished) games are clearly marked.

Yeah, you totally took the bait. Escaping is lamers but honestly, if you really hate the guy you're playing, go for it. It will make him mad and then you can just load the game once he's gone and resign, avoiding any marks.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
w+r guys. It's over.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Just don't give up man. It's tough to grasp, but once you do, it's probably one of the most rewarding games you'll ever play. You'll never be the best and there will always be a challenge out there, but you'll be better than a lot and can puff out your chest when you get a single digit kyu rank.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
I like to play go when I'm bored. Make sure you don't play it when depressed or you will lose. This game depends greatly on your state of mind.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
She likes Beyblade better than Hikaru no Go?!?!?! Ban her from KGS.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
ITGO is the greatest go community on the internet.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

Urban Renewal posted:

I thought I was the only player on KGS that knew that the first play was supposed to be in the upper-right

Which is exactly why I always play lower left first.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
awww yeah, frog likes what he sees.

I fixed it. Let's all do our part to make sure that poo poo never happens again.

Oneday for Life fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 17, 2009

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

Daspied posted:

I saw this post yesterday and started to give the game a try. Learning on Playgo.to/interactive I pick up how to play the game, and some concepts.

However When I'm playing in a 9x9 and all seems to go well (I have a good bit of territory). Suddenly they invade, and I'm unable to repell the force of 1-2 with my adjacent pieces. Any tips?

Yeah, don't get scared. An invasion behind a wall at 1-2 should never live. You are a guy with a gun looking at a fat guy waddling up to you wanting to punch you. The only way you could get beat is by A. Not knowing how to use a gun, or B. Getting scared and using your gun to block him for some reason.

You've got the upper hand, so use it. Push the invader around, learn eyeshapes by doing go problems, and learn how to keep him from making those shapes, also by doing go problems.

BTW, you'll lose a lot in the beginning. A lot. Your first win will make you cry with joy though, so good luck.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
That's it, I quit Go. Can't even do this right.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

Urban Renewal posted:

ITGO regulars can attest that I have probably done this

You've got a long way to go nub. OG's in ITGO can attest I have quit more than most of them combined.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

Under 15 posted:

peantoo is the only person in itgo I don't have on my fan list because I am safe in the knowledge that he will never play a game of go again

and if he does it will be so loving bad I won't want to watch it

My new rank says otherwise. Also, how do you know I'm not on some other server playing 10 games a day and have read every book and have studied 1000 pro games? COME ON HELS.

edit: No, you know what, gently caress that poo poo, I'm starting Go again. I'm gonna gently caress you over on the goban son.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Ok guys here is a real Go question: Why do I fear playing a game of Go more than walking alone at night through the ghetto? For reference, I am a white boy who doesn't belong in the ghetto.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
I don't understand this. Half of ITGO is in Europe or Australia, and a good chunk is in middle America. Why would we do New York? Does anyone in ITGO even live in New York or near it?

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
I voted for England. I think there are more votes than there are people in ITGO as well.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
No girls allowed in the secret room.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
KGS room was deleted. Not enough people logging on possibly? I am recreating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Message me here or message Aeroplane, Peantoo, elementc, Wuchou, or wossname on KGS to get readded.