Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Oh, what the hell? I've been posting in that Traditional Games forum thread instead of this one.

I'll second qxan's sentiment. It's great having a little room of (some very well skilled) regulars on kgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

I'll probably be on tonight. I've got a couple "game dates," so I might as well make an evening of it.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

D4 seems good for black, no? I'd like to see some commentary/analysis from a stronger player, if they don't mind.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Phyzzle posted:

Well, I'll try this. I think one of those two lower left black stones can be saved.

Click here for the full 720x960 image.

The bottom right doesn't match up with the previous ones.

quote:

Well, no one in the SA room wanted to play a beginner, so I went off and lost some games in other rooms.

I would have played, but I'm at work. :(

Does anyone know of a good turn-based go server which you can play through email? All the turn-based servers are blocked at my work.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Nodrog posted:

Facebook has a Go app if thats not blocked.

It is not. Thanks :)

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Namaste posted:

Man, I had forgotten all about Go up until a few weeks ago, when they started running this Dominoe's commercial, where the "World's Smartest Man" is sitting there playing it with a fifth grader -- and I noticed it.

I, too, noticed that and also the incongruence of the World's Smartest Man playing as black.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

I had no idea there was a setting either. As a mid-teen kyu, I have to go with textured.

Edit: Eh, wait. The untextured is just so clean, so minimalistic, so essential. Now I don't know what to think. Have I been living a lie? I need some time alone now. Excuse me, guys.

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 16, 2009

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

What the hell is HUAS HUAS HUAS? That's not even convenient to type?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

I stumbled upon this:

http://www.361points.com/go_videos/

Neat to see a fansub of Chinese game commentary on Lee Changho vs. Cho Hunhyun. The double-digit kyu workshop is nice too. Go is about sharing and being nice :) :)

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Whoa, nice! Did you rout out some of the inside for extra thwack?

This might have been the easiest part, but how did you do the grid? I'm afraid that if I ever tried making such a board, it would end up all crooked.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Any of you in Philly? Me and a couple buddies play on our lunchbreak.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

qxan posted:

I am in the suburbs around West Chester, so it's sorta a distance to head into the city. Are in in Philly? So close yet so far.

Ah, OK. I live in Delaware but work in Philly. I asked because my friends and I sort of have a small lunchtime go club going. So far, it's myself (10-11k), a couple other mid-teen kyu buddies, and a 7d KGS admin. The time constraints kind of suck because we're all playing on our lunch break, except for the 7d guy, but it's still fun.

Also, there is a go club at a Korean church around Wilmington that is on Saturdays. I think a 7d amateur is the head honcho around there. I haven't gone yet. Maybe I'll take the white guy KGS admin with me and we'll get our hustle on.

E-mail me if you're interested. yejoon.koh is my googles.

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 4, 2009

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

You are Jennifer posted:

Wow, 7dan admin vs 7dan amateur, make sure to tell us how the game goes if it ever goes down. I'm always interested in how KGS's best stack up against the real world.

The admin's rank is actually 7d club/amateur, I'm pretty sure. He says he doesn't play ranked games on kgs, just admins and teaches. From his profile:

quote:

My name is Jon and I offer Go lessons here at KGS. I have 2 years experience in online and offline instruction and play at around the 7d level (club rating), 4.9d OGS. If you're interested in learning and would like more information, please feel free to contact me or visit my website at http://www.kuronekogoschool.com .

My Go education: I learned to play from attending the Feng Yun Go School, led by Feng Yun (9p), and private instruction under Zhen Zhu (7d). My full resumé is available upon request as a PDF file.

So yeah.

Blendy, who are you on kgs? I'm also ~11k.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Blendy posted:

I'm Blendy here and on KGS as well. What's your KGS username?

PillowFace. Heh.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Found this review on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BE5F2CEEC0407B08

I found it helpful. The guy explains things clearly, simply, and, most importantly for me, doesn't go a mile a minute.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Lyon posted:

Where do you play in Philly? Also, your 7d is really suspect in my mind. I've met him before, he used to take lessons from Feng Yun (might still) but last time I had played him he was 1d-3d or so. Granted this was a few years ago, but he never plays and says he burned out on go but claims to be a 7d.
I work in Blue Bell and live in Doylestown near to Jon the "7d" (although don't repeat any of what I've written here because he'd know who I am). I doubt I could do your lunch thing because it would be next to impossible to make it down to Philly, play a game, and get back to work on my hour lunch break.

Ah, yes. This sounds like him. Although, he did mention he's gained a couple levels within the past couple of years, but that would only put him at 3-5d at best. I don't know him that well, so I'm not able to judge either way, although it was suspicious that I beat him in a 13x13. He made me pay for it dearly later in a 19x19, though. He's kind of a weird dude, yeah? Very, um, ADTRW.

My buddies and I play either at Starbucks, JFK Plaza, or the Comcast food court, depending on the day. We've been meaning to have a go happy hour after work. It would be neat if we had one that the three of us (me, you, qxan) could all play at. My crew is not very good, low double-digit kyu on a good day, but we're good company, and maybe you and qxan might pair up well?

quote:

There's the Philadelphia Baduk Association which is located near the intersction of Cheltenham Ave. and 5th. It actually moved and is now located in the basement of a building a few doors down, but it's a really strong club. All older Korean guys who don't speak English well, but it's fun because you don't really need to be able to communicate besides your rank.

I play on KGS as Scatter, I'm probably 1d-2d or so.

Thanks for the info on the club. It's pretty much too far for me to get to, but I might check it out one day. Do you have any info on when they meet or if they have some sort of contact/website/newsletter?

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 19, 2009

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Lyon posted:

If you ever organize an after work thing I can definitely try. I get off at 5 but driving into the city in rush hour would be miserable and I'd probably miss the meeting anyway.

The Philadelphia Baduk Association website is here. It has the updated address. The club is more of a community hang out, the area has a large Korean population and it's open everyday from 2pm-11pm or so. People don't actually show up until after work though because, well, they're at work.

Yeah, the kid is a little off. His other name on KGS used to be Kakashisan so ADTRW all the way (granted I enjoy me some animes too). What's he doing down in Philly? Working for the law firm his parents work for?

Oh, right, I forgot about rush hour. Oh well. Thanks for the PBA info. I just looked at the site. The location makes it look like some sort of underground gambling ring or some poo poo, haha.

What the guy does for a living is a complete mystery to me. I didn't even know that his parents work at a law firm. He said that he didn't have a real job, that he gives lessons, is writing a book on Go, and is going to art school to draw anime or something. Although, I'm not particularly inclined to believe any of it at this point. The relationship actually got a little weird recently when we offered to buy him lunch in exchange for the go help he's been giving, and he asked instead for money. I don't know, all this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, me and my buddies might just mysteriously get very busy during lunchtimes.

I enjoy the accasional anime, too, but there's certainly a difference between people who enjoy some anime and people who are ADTRW.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Planeshifter2 posted:

Oh hey, I'm also from Philly and had no idea we had a Go club. I'll have to check this out sometime.

There's also this:

http://chapters.usgo.org/penngo/

So you really have your pick.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Urban Renewal posted:

fuuck I hate when hardcore anime kids actually wind up good at go it makes me want to kill myself on my go board

Seriously. Do chess players have to deal with this kind of frustration?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Ahahaha that is genius. If I cared enough, I would crop that board and use it as my avatar.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Lyon posted:

Yeah, I'd probably be down if there was a time/place that worked and you guys aren't weirdos. If this new job goes well and I make decent money I'd probably move out to Conshohocken or Manayunk. So Pillow Face is from Delaware, qxan is in West Chester, I'm in Doylestown, and PlaneShifter2 is actually in Philly?

Yeah John is definitely strange, I'd be interested to hear more interesting stories about him when they occur. Also, don't give him a dime for go help unless you decide to actually hire him through his website for whatever. I'm sure that's exactly what you're thinking/doing but I just wanted to state it anyway.

I've got a lot going on this summer on the weekends, as we're in the process of selling/buying a house, but once that cools down, I'll be up for a Saturday goon game or something.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Urban Renewal posted:

here's a nice bit of encouragement for us scrubs: you can make moves like this and still get to be a 3k!

I don't know whether I should feel encouraged or depressed =/

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Under 15 posted:

you will get shot, this is big money we are talking about here

We've got a plan, and that's where you come in :c00l:

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Hmm, I live ~3 hours away and have time off of work during that week! And yet, I'm buying a house and I took off of work so that I could move furniture. Oh god

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Under 15 posted:

My go clock is connected to a revolver with a single bullet loaded at the end, every time I use a byoyomi it pulls the trigger

Who/what's it aimed at?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Haha, go made the Philly paper. Any of you goons in this article?

http://www.philly.com/philly/living/20090812_Go_s_complexities_are_ageless_.html

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Great report :)

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

qxan posted:

So this morning, being Saturday and all, I decided to head up to Phoenixville's farmer's market in order to find the person this article was based on. I found him. Turns out he was around 6 kyu. And I beat him. First real life game of go. Against a total celebrity. Oh yeah, baby.

The Chinese guy, Craig Brown, or the 7-year-old? Bonus points if you humiliated a 7-year-old.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

qxan posted:

Craig Brown's friend, actually. I embellished a bit. Craig Brown wouldn't play me because he insisted he was much weaker than me. Maybe like 10k? His friend was 6k. I was content.

Great job!

I might be able to take on Craig Brown then.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

I had to look that word up and this popped up from http://senseis.xmp.net/?PairGo:

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 17, 2009

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

It was only a matter of otaku time.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Peantoo posted:

awww yeah, frog likes what he sees.

I fixed it. Let's all do our part to make sure that poo poo never happens again.

I'm leaving my post in tact as a painful reminder to all who might think that go is a cool game with a respectable fanbase.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Urban Renewal posted:

in other news I made a new Go promotional poster. The blank space at the bottom is to insert information about your local club.

Click here for the full 600x1104 image.

Hahahha, genius. I mighty actually use this.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

I voted NYC because I am in Delaware.

Really, us mid-Atlantic goons should goonrush a club.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Mez posted:

i am horny for said bread

helopticor posted:

Mez, you're like the only one who might be able to make it to Blendy's.

Something tells me it is not the bread that he is horny for.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

God drat it Hestler

which one of you is hestler

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Go is so abstract I think that it invites analogy for context or maybe vice versa.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Blendy posted:

Nope, no joke. I got my paper back. Got an 8.5 out of 10. I lost .75 due to spelling and grammar. I need a new editor. The other .75 was due to my misunderstanding of APA style. Conceptually my paper was flaws

here's to library :science:

Aw, I didn't realize that this was the paper you were talking about in the chat/game. That sucks :(

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

superdylan posted:

this is how Cho U says gently caress YO COUCH

Black to kill

My heart says H7 but my gut says resign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Philly goons (qxan and Scatter I think?) how are your schedules looking for an after work go happy hour these next couple of weeks?