Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree

quote:

In 2 player mode, the PIC32 simply stores the game state, applies life/death rules, and tracks captured stones. This mode should be relatively easy to code.

The life/death rules are surprisingly difficult to code and shouldn't be part of your project if you aren't programming the bot either. I think your project would be a cool set up if I could use it as an input for kgs or some other online play but otherwise it is only moderately interesting.

I've been playing go for about 7 years and I'm one of the semi-regular players on KGS. My rank has been 4k for the past year or two but one of these days I'm going to study and get better or something. Go is a really fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
There have been several mentions of bots in this thread but I really feel like it is more fun and better for learning to play against humans of any rank. I've been playing for quite a while and at some point I played bots pretty exclusively but I didn't really get any better because they don't know how to play and the games weren't very complicated or interesting. Anyway - go rules and you should play it against people.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
'Quiting' the game for a while is pretty reasonable. I've been playing off and on since 2001 or so and I love the game even though I'm only moderately strong.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
Wow this is a pain but one of the KGS admins saw activity in the SA room and we are kinda flagged for breaking some of their terms of service involving language and conduct so go in and say some reasonably polite stuff about getting into the private room and we can get you an invite. Try not to curse or a banhammer stroker named 'BigDoug' will give you a 2-5 day ban from kgs or something.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
Some of the SA members go to IGS and a few other accounts for various reasons but KGS is the place we all hang. I personally don't use IGS so I don't know what else to tell you except that KGS is cooler and better for conversations and community.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
Just jumping in to say that a seki totally can have an eye and that stones inside an eye in a seki are a reasonably major contention point for counting styles.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004

Ego Piano posted:

the first few games are the hardest,

Go gets harder the better you get and the better you want to do. I'd say 'the first few moves are the hardest' because after a point you can just settle into some conflict that can be understood reasonably well. The best Go proverb I know is 'lose your first 50 games as quickly as possible' which basically means you won't know what you're doing so just mess around and feel good about losing them to learn a little bit from the experience.

Mainly came to the thread to ask if DC just got banned for cursing in the public room, if so I'm sorry - the KGS ban should wear off in a couple days. :(

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
I came into the public room after being idle for a while and saw the admin then saw some chat with curse words and made a mocking comment about how stupid the person was. Later the admin saw my comments and checked some sort of log (???) of the previous chat and banned a goon for comments made when he wasn't there. KGS bans are only for a few days I think. Next time try and keep all swearing to the private room where the rules are pretty much the same as thunderdome.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
Hey I just got banned too! Anyone that wants to come play some go should join in but be aware the 'F*ck' and 'Sh!t' are considered ban worthy swear words in public rooms. That'll teach me for asking a mod a stupid question after I've insulted multiple times for banning my friends.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
Wootah my win rate is like 33%. I never knew about that tool but its a cool way to show when I tend to play a lot of drunk games.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
At around 3k to 4k should I be learning joseki? Players my strength and weaker don't really know many but it seems like the 1k+ players tend to know quite a handful.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
Tesuji is a great book for practicing some reading and learning tactical skills but you need attack and defense and probably some other books to learn any strategy.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
Lucky for the americans, Patton knew the correct tesuji and was able to place his tanks correctly.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
Wooot, just got kgs ban for calling Bigdoug gay in a 7d vs 7d game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004

Urban Renewal posted:

why would you even do that you know how he gets

He wasn't even there, some other admin must have gotten me. I hope my ban lifts in time for me to try and get the kgs+ teaching game on thursday.