Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Go is a game of devastating reversals (even during end-game recaps)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

helopticor posted:

Has anyone in here ever read Mathematical Go? Supposedly it gives an algorithm for perfect late endgames (which I hear from my Go playing friends are not as significant in Go as in Chess). I've studied the math (combinatorial game theory) behind it, and I'd love to hear from a Go player who read the book.

Also, I've started to learn go and then forgot the rules multiple times, but maybe I'll get into it again thanks to this thread.

Go and chess are backwards, although in both cases the emptier the board is, the more complex it is. It takes about as much effort to study go end-games as chess openings, which is to say it's not really that much effort compared to everything else.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

go has more gameplay time than world of warcraft, this is a game where people play for 50 years and then thoughtfully remark "yeah I could probably beat God with a four stone handicap"

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

this is the worst promotional effort ever

Nobody is banned permanently, a 'ban' on KGS is a two day walk or whatever they set it to. There is a human being admin who stalks our public channel, but he doesn't actually do anything; if you act indignant in the room, he will start responding since he thinks he is putting the screws on you, but that is about it. You don't have to talk in that room, and nobody did before he showed up anyway.

You should definitely play go because unlike other high-profile timewasters it is categorically free and you can get some real mental exercise. I'm sure if you make it to dan rank and put that poo poo on a resume and send it to a japanese man he will hire the gently caress out of you. In any case, this game is something you can spend years on, and unlike lovely MMOs you can actually apply the skills you learn later on.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

tell yourself that when you are surrounded in an alley at night :colbert:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

so somebody sell me a go book I need something to read on the can

I keep hearing "attack and defense" but that is like book four in a series

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah I probably have about a hundred games on KGS at this point so I'm not gonna worry about that book

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Can you tell when my semester ended :v:

The first month of trying to learn go is like having someone stomp all over your dick, but the second month has been very good for my stat-whoring soul.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I'll hazard a guess and say I get to 8k before I brick wall :shobon:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

http://kgs.gosquares.net

queries the server and assembles the information to do some stuff

It's not real in-depth but it is cool. If you speak japanese I guess it can do a lot more but I haven't checked it out.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

This guy got pretty frustrated around move 40 and led me on this whirlwind game. I'm not sure what his angle was, and I was convinced he would resign during scoring, but amazingly enough he saw it through and I have a W+361.5 to add to my list. A regular go board only has 361 spaces, so I won by a larger margin than I would have had he made no moves at all.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

qxan posted:

Nope. I'm not letting this topic die.

Everyone should go play Go right now. Just loving go and do it.

PS. I knew you were Helsbecter, Under 15. I knew.

this is not such a deductive leap

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

studying a pro game isn't very helpful for a new guy because the pros are going to play the most wide-open poo poo they feel like they can get away with. At that level it's almost a game of chicken because the pro who made the move is basically saying "I dare you to let me get away with this you human being"

A lot of times you will see descriptions of corner sequences that have a line like, "this is the common amateur continuation but in professional games this is played." Replaying games to advance through some sort of subconscious osmosis is a good idea if you are already dan-level, but I think the whole arrangement falls apart if you get more than a few ranks away from the material you are replaying. It's just too different from your in-game experience.

basically if you have a kgs account you should come to SA room and dick around, talk to some people who arent a bunch of greybeard faggots or animus, and enjoy yourself enough to get over the initial, brutal learning curve and start playing for real

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

maybe it would be better to just play out a game then post it in commented sections like a go book

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I missed the game where mogobot beat the pro at 9h, but I did see a game where a pro played mogobot with 7h and mogobot played a failed ladder to the edge of the board. This was on a supercomputer with eight hundred 4ghz cores. The monte carlo programs are weird like that; I heard that mogobot's developers actually found they were better off not giving it specific information, because once a player figured out mogobot's 'rules', they would immediately start playing the exceptions. It's hard to program an open approach :angel:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

helopticor posted:

Speaking of interactive Go tutorials, I found http://playgo.to/interactive/ much more useful in terms of remembering the rules than just reading text.

link is highly recommended, since this poo poo is so basic that anyone who has played longer than a month would have difficulty articulating it. Go through this once, play a game or three, go through it again, and you will have a pretty good idea of the most basic game mechanics. This won't save you from losing like a bitch over and over again, but with the tutorial out of the way it will be possible for us to explain to you what is happening. This would not be an option if you just sat down and said "ok lets do this"

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Lyon posted:

"Then Mao, much like a play at 3-3 against a star point, invaded behind enemy lines." :jerkbag:

"seeing that his position offered little scope for development, Mao wisely chose to seek profit in the corner." :china:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Kerris posted:

My first and last ranking matches were quite a few years ago and according to that I'm around 25-kyu. I've only recently gotten back in playing Go by getting a few friends into it. :v:

None of them has played more than 10 matches on the 9x9 board, and all but one of them can beat me when given a four stone handicap. I'll need to read up on the komi stuff, as I want to get them ranked in official matches.

How soon should I move them on to the 13x13 board? :3:

Just play the 19x19 boards. 9x9 is so different from standard go it is practically its own game, and the only reason it gets used for teaching purposes is because the games are shorter and it tries an experienced person's patience to play someone who has no idea what's going on for that long. To teach someone the basic mechanics of the game, 9x9 is a lot more convenient. To actually learn how to *play* go, you're going to have to get on the 19x19 because if you try to learn by playing only 9x9 (totally unforgiving, compared to 19x19) you are going to bash your brains out in frustration. The learning curve is bad enough to begin with.

EDIT: this x10 for playing online, since only 19x19 is ranked and only faggots play unranked games with strangers. Any unranked game you play with a stranger is guaranteed to be worthless and lovely and frustrating, and being ranked dramatically improves the quality of the games you get

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 23, 2009

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Foggy posted:

I've been looking at gtl game reviews recently, using glGo to view the sgf files (which is the best program I've found for that purpose). A couple questions, though - first, would it be more useful to read reviews of double-digit kyu players (i.e., players about my level, to see how the reviewers correct bad play) or dan players (to see what good play looks like)? I've looked at both and I've mostly found the lower-level reviews more useful but I want to avoid learning bad habits. Second, are there any reviewers on there that people think are particularly good? Some are lazy (like not using the sgf tools to illustrate possible moves) and some are vague (at least to a low-level player like me), but most of them are pretty good, and I was wondering if anybody either reviewed on there or knew somebody who was good at it.

If you review your games with other goons you will get advice from someone who wants to help you personally and make friends, thereby increasing your desire to play and get reviews

a vicious cycle

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

The Pettifogger posted:

Also, France sucks at joseki.

Perhaps the strongest parallel between Go and modern warfare is that the French seem to be loving terrible at both

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

I think it can be agreed that once you discover the untextured you can't go back (I too just learned about it and can no longer play on the textured boards).

Also today is my one month anniversary on Itgo. Thank you all for helping me jump from 22kyu to 17kyu over that month (Hopefully I'll reach 16kyu this week [I'm so close!]).

blendy officially promoted to 16k via rank drift at the daily update :golfclap:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Foggy posted:

I got it, but unfortunately in a real game nobody's telling you "psst there's a tesuji here that will win you the game"

You totally just had one of those games vs Hestler last night

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Foggy posted:

ALL OF MY GAMES ARE LIKE THAT

get on toxygen and find you some tesuji then

I just started reading it, several months too late I guess

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Foggy posted:

I remember reading somewhere that people tend to overestimate the magnitude of vertical distances and underestimate horizontal ones - there are a number of optical illusions that operate on this principle. It would be interesting to do an automatic analysis of pro games comparing identical situations when they occur along the top or bottom of the board versus along the sides.

Actual go boards are longer than they are wide so when you sit down at the end of one it looks square to you, but the first few games will still gently caress you up from the change in perspective. As for analyzing pro games for directional bias, you'd find it but not for that reason- 99% of the time black's first move is in the top right corner, normally either q16 or r16, and play proceeds from there. Playing anywhere else is unorthodox enough that Yoda Norimoto once did it at the beginning of a tournament to show that he was feeling defiant and wasn't going to take poo poo from anyone. There are common 'pro openings' that can run for quite a while until someone decides to deviate from them.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

I got kind of a deep voice, I could do a Beat Happening throwback hipster crossover and make this thing top Pitchfork

we can call ourselves The Nine Dans

I like The Severe Hane better

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

GoBob posted:

I'm a former AGA member. It was worth it for me because I got the little yearbook and it allowed me to go to the quarterly tourneys in the other, bigger club about an hour away. Once I stopped going to those tourneys, it stopped being worth the price.

My club is an official AGA chapter, but it's a tiny club that basically only exists on paper right now. It helped us get some club sets for people to use(had to pay the high rear end shipping costs) and the one vote we get was kind of neat, I guess. I will say that the AGA does nothing to help smaller clubs. Every AGA newsletter was about all the great stuff they were for the big clubs in Cali, but they never did anything for any club that didn't have a pro nearby. In fact, the usage of dues was pretty appalling, in my opinion anyways. The North American Masters tournament is a big waste of funds and does nothing to promote go.

B-b-b-but you get to argue about pass stones!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I won some free lectures to http://internetgoschool.com/ in a tournament on saturday. I get five, what do you lunks think I should pick?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

So I was at the go club in real life and I beat a shodan with three stones for the third time in a row, entitling me to move up to two, where I come one very hard-fought liberty away from making him resign again. Then, I come home to my shitbox kgs account that I got to 5 kyu for about fifteen minutes before dropping two games in a row and putting it safely back in 6k where it belongs

gently caress internet go (everyone should play internet go get on kgs)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Foggy posted:

I haven't played in over a month :( I got my rear end kicked by a 22k and got discouraged I guess

you did not even complete basic go training

I remember blendy was like "oh man foggy is gonna be my RIVAL" and I told him "sorry son foggy's gonna crap out any day now just you watch" and he was all :smith:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

go is literally keeping me from killing myself with a hanzo sword in a snow field

anger, and more specifically spite is a critical quality in internet go

if you dont pass muster you will sink under the weight of your own cowardice

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Triped posted:

Any tips on helping my ragtag Go club defeat the mightiest dans in America? We don't have any montages or Emilio Estevez, just 10-17 players showing up twice a month at a game shop averaging about 20kyu.

get on kgs and find some relatively high ranked pubbie human being to help you somehow. I would bet that sort of teaching situation is literally the wet dream of some mid-dans. Normally I would be really wary of soliciting a pubbie's help with anything but you can't fake a dan rank; it takes a lot of time and effort and you have to know an awful lot of poo poo about go to carry one.

Alternatively you can write the AGA (they will help you start an organized club, but they will not do much else for you if you don't live in california) or you personally could come to our room on kgs along with whatever of your friends are cool and you could hang out and learn go there.

If you guys are all around 20 kyu, probably all you really need is someone to get about ten stones higher who can teach the rest. Most likely you won't all move up as a group, you'll just be stuck together. I'd beware of anyone who was only a few ranks higher than you who wanted to teach, since that probably means they are too dumb to improve and they will teach you a bunch of crap. At the low ranks, you can gain 3-4 stones a month with a little effort and it's pretty rare to just find someone who is currently at 15k, almost as hard as it is to find a boyfriend-free girl.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Found "Teach Yourself Go" (Charles Mathews) for under $2 on Half.com, so I ordered that and another Go book (Book of Go, by William Cobb) that the guy happened to have, which seemed cheap everywhere. I played through a couple of the Javascript tutorials, I found I have a hard time visualizing the shapes but I guess that's normal for a new player. Anyways, I need another couple of exercises and probably a bit more reading before I feel qualified for my initial rear end-kicking.

Anyway we could get an updated OP with book lists, links to tutorials/etc?

The core books for a new player are basically just Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go, which is an all-around book, then books 3 and 5 in the Elementary Go series, Tesuji (a tactical book) and Attack and Defense (a strategic one.) Between those three and a lot of playing it's more than enough to get you to dan rank. As for online tutorials, really there isn't anything that will be worth looking at after day one. Maybe we can have Woss update the OP with that stuff, but in all honesty there isn't much to say on the topic of books since they are mostly just there for when you get stuck.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Double post woot for new goban. It just arrived in the mail. Only $25 for shin-kaya!

post a picture of you smashing your head through it from that perspective

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

Fancy stones would be nice, but as I am poor I can only afford these. But that being said I like the feel of these stones and I like how easy the are to use on the board. In person the look isn't so awful.

Edit- also more than nicer stones I would like some wood bowls instead of the weird plastic things they came in

Keep them in cigar boxes until they pick up that stogie scent for a touch of class. That's some fucken wabi-sabi right there

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

If wossname doesn't return to KGS to play go by the time I reach shodan, it will prove his teaching is nothing but poison :barf:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

qxan posted:

Go party! :toot:

Hey Helsbecter what did you mean by that villainous statement? Is woss on hiatus?

I was looking through the baby name book with the lady and right there on the first page, "Sebastian." On the one hand, if we named the baby Sebastian it would be in good company, but on the other, we don't plan on it being a miserable baby forever.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Quad posted:

Question about materials.
I just got a set from ymimports.com, shin kaya, yunzi stones, about $90 or so. I love it, it's pretty, yadda yadda.
Kiseido says, "Another wood that is being used for go boards is spruce. It is marketed as shin-kaya, but it is a very inferior wood to be used for go boards. It is a soft wood and, after a short time, small dents will be made by stones striking the surface. The boards initially look very nice, but the wood deteriorates rather quickly."
Now... are they saying this because they're selling Katsura boards and want you to shell out the $350 it'll take for one? Or is shin-kaya (alaskan or tibetan spruce) really that terrible?

Yeah, spruce is a terrible material for a go board in the sense that a go board is supposed to be this sublime masterwork that you can pass down for generations. At the go club where I play, we've got about a half a dozen shin kaya boards that have been rather indifferently cared for in the ten years or whatever that they've been in service, and only one of them is really hosed up to the point where you might consider grabbing another board. As long as you aren't obsessed with slapping your stones down like some sort of stunt spectacular, it ought to be alright. You wanted something to play on, after all, not something for your tea ceremony.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Anyone who was in there previously has to rejoin because some kgs admin took the room down to remedy the INAPPROPRIATE/LEWD SPEECH in our room description. Never mind that because it was a private room only people who had access could see the INAPPROPRIATE/LEWD SPEECH; the only way the admin could have possibly noticed is if he went down the list checking the hundreds of rooms for INAPPROPRIATE/LEWD SPEECH like some kind of busybody human being.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Pillow Face posted:

I stumbled upon this:

http://www.361points.com/go_videos/

Neat to see a fansub of Chinese game commentary on Lee Changho vs. Cho Hunhyun. The double-digit kyu workshop is nice too. Go is about sharing and being nice :) :)

The subtitled commentary is really cool, hopefully he translates a couple more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

as halfway crooks posted:

kgs players are big fukkin pussies got banned for callin someone a fag

bans only last 48 hours so in two days you can start making GBS threads the place up again