Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibz
Nov 19, 2005

King of Threads
Does the endgame vary by rule set? I know that in China, people quite often play right until the VERY end (you cannot pass), and that part always really annoyed me. Yes, it does take SOME skill, but it seems trivial. I just played a couple of games on the server though and it seems that that rule is at least not part of the Japanese rule set. I've also played that passing costs 1 point.

Explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibz
Nov 19, 2005

King of Threads

Under 15 posted:

this is the worst promotional effort ever

Nobody is banned permanently, a 'ban' on KGS is a two day walk or whatever they set it to. There is a human being admin who stalks our public channel, but he doesn't actually do anything; if you act indignant in the room, he will start responding since he thinks he is putting the screws on you, but that is about it. You don't have to talk in that room, and nobody did before he showed up anyway.

You should definitely play go because unlike other high-profile timewasters it is categorically free and you can get some real mental exercise. I'm sure if you make it to dan rank and put that poo poo on a resume and send it to a japanese man he will hire the gently caress out of you. In any case, this game is something you can spend years on, and unlike lovely MMOs you can actually apply the skills you learn later on.

Um, I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, i have a passionate hatred for MMORPGS or whatever, and I love Go, but I would say that some of the skills learned in MMORPGS (interaction, bargaining / trading / teamwork / leadership) can be translated into life, and I don't think that learning how to kills stones situated in a certain pattern in a corner is a terribly useful life skill.