Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1054485/

After "Bender's Big Score" I'd lost faith in Matt Groening's ability to deliver a good Futurama movie after letting the series rest for so many years. Well unfortunately the second movie hasn't done much to improve on those feelings. Naturally all of our favorite characters are back. In fact every character is back. It seems like at some point there were just showing people in hopes of making you feel excited because you recall that he was in the background of episode three, and now you can brag to your friends because you knew that. As for the main characters, well naturally they're there, but for the most part they just don't have the spark of the original series. All in all it's an improvement over "Big Score", but not a major one.

Pros: It's not as bad as the first movie.

Cons: It's not as good as the series.

Over all I'd give it a 3.14159265358... out of 5 because referencing math is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
For the new Futurama movie exactly the same can be said as for the previous one or the Simpsons movie for that matter. It is still Futurama in all it's glory, but again the format suffers from full feature length. What works well in a 20 minute episode does not necessarily work out equally well in full feature length.
I would say they attempted to tie it all together by making this one a bit more story driven than the previous one, but at the same time tried to stay honest with the non-dramatic joyful concept which made the series so great. It is a fairly contradicting perspective in my opinion.
That being said, it is still hugely entertaining, it's just too much Futurama at once.

3.5 out of 5

Diamond Back
Jul 8, 2005

You dont always have to fuck her hard....
It wasn't as good as it could have been, but it was a definite improvement over the last movie. it felt more like a singe long episode as opposed to a half dozen all with a common theme.

3.5 out of 5

Biscuit McClure
Dec 24, 2004

Which other rubes are riding hot shot sugar?
I found it much more entertaining than the other movie. Again, to reiterate pretty much every critic of the films, the format doesn't quite work as well as it does in its television format. For some reason I thought the scene changes in this film were a bit off aswell. They all seemed to jump a joke short or a joke late and normally very abruptly.

I'd probably settle on a 3.5/5 as well as the other guys. Better than the last movie but not what I want out of a Futurama film.

Passingly Gawpish
Jul 14, 2007
On the order of 20nm, sir.
Beast With a Billion Backs eschews the complexity of [Bender's Big Score[/i] for a more lighthearted approach. Unburdened with the need to reestablish so very much as in the first film, Beast finds more room for humor. Despite this, longtime fans will still be eager for the series return to its original incarnation. Some jokes are truly wonderful, and the remainder are at least chuckle-worthy. The visuals are, as expected, wholly excellent, and the soundtrack fits perfectly.

4/5

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs was a great, funny, hilarious adventure. Unfortunately, it stopped being one after about 40 minutes.

There is an exact point in some movies when you can tell that it instantly turns to poo poo. For instance, in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Motherfucking Crystal Skull, this moment is the exact point when Indiana Jones picks up the alien skull, resulting in a chase scene involving a drove of superintelligent death ants. After that point in the movie, it irrevocably becomes poo poo. It's as if the director presses a magic button. We will call this the poo poo button.

Futurama Movie II starts off hilariously enough. There's plenty of laughs and there's enough of the beginnings of a storyline to make it seem together and not too much to make jokes sparce.

The poo poo button is pressed on Futurama Movie II the exact second when Yivo, the gigantic tentacle thing is introduced. From then on out, the movie becomes more offsetting than funny because though they try to make a point and they try to make a storyline over the next hour, deep inside you know that it's becomeTENTACLE RAPE: THE MOVIE. That's all it is after that point. It's TENTACLE RAPE: THE MOVIE and they should just change the name to TENTACLE RAPE: THE MOVIE because that's all it is. More or less: the tentacle is inserted into everybody, they're happy; bender isn't happy because in hentai robots cannot be raped by tentacles; the universe is ashamed of their tentacle rape addiction but end up married to it; they leave the universe (aka the real world) to go to the other universe (aka their basement); Bender (your father) does not like this isolation and decides to get them back to the real world and hell maybe find a job. The jokes start to peter out, fail and/or get predictable as the storyline chugs along awkwardly. It's hilariously an allegory for hentai addiction, but I have the feeling it doesn't mean to be.

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004
Holy gently caress, where to begin. After the complete tragedy that was Bender's Big Score I did not think it was possible to make a worse film and looked at this one with eager eyes, seeing that it simply had to be better.

Boy was I wrong.

I'm not quite sure how, but they've managed to outdo themselves with one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. They have completely lost the essence of Futurama and the well-timed jokes and developed characters seem to be completely missing as the dumbest plot you've ever seen takes hold. It's bad to the point it's obnoxious and I had to force myself to finish the movie by taping my eyes open and strapping myself to a chair Clockwork Orange style. Avoid at all costs.

If you like Futurama, go rewatch some old episodes. Don't waste your time with this poo poo.

1/5