Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Right now I'm investing 10% of my salary into my 401k. I have all of my money in a Bond fund simply because it's earned a pretty stable 5% in the last 10 years. I've looked at all of the equity funds available, and while they've had excellent rates of return in the last 3 months, they've actually lost money over the past 10 years. It's unlikely that I'm going to be at my current place of employment for more than 5 years as I want to advance my education (there's very little room to grow where I'm currently at). Should I put any of my money into the market, or should I just go with a stable return? My 401k has pretty limited options, and none of the market-based funds have done particularly well. I plan on rolling my money into a Roth IRA after I leave. Should I risk putting my money into equities for a few years?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

80k posted:

When you roll over to an IRA, you can invest in similar equity funds. Unless the transfer of assets gets botched up, it should be a smooth transition with minimal time out of the market. So just because you don't plan to stay at the company long, doesn't affect your intended investing timeframe. .

Check your fund options and look at their expense ratios. If you don't see anything good, re-evaluate (based on company matching, if any) whether you should be contributing to the 401k or in an IRA (assuming you haven't already maxed out your IRA).

Determine your asset allocation (stock/bond ratio) first. Then see how your 401k/IRA/taxable account options work best in terms of cost and tax considerations. Example: my 401k equity options suck, so I put everything into stable value (the least bad option in my plan). But I make up for it by taking mostly equity risk in my Roth IRA.

Thanks for the advice. I actually don't have an IRA at the moment, but I'm going to be opening one through USAA in the next couple weeks and begin funneling my money into that. I get the max match from my employer at 3%, so I'll reallocate the other 7%, as well as some of my other savings, into my IRA. I don't make much of a salary (though my benefits are very good), but I might be able to max out a Roth. $4K is probably a more attainable goal. I have a lot of money in liquid bonds at the moment, and zero debt, so I can really focus on a retirement account for the foreseeable future.

My main reasoning behind dumping my savings into a 401k was the convenience factor, but looking at my options it isn't the best move.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

So I just opened my Roth IRA, and I have a quick question--I understand that I can contribute for 2009 until April 2010. Can I contribute for 2010 earlier than that, or is April considered the fiscal year for IRAs?

Also, I'm assuming Roth IRA contributions won't affect my tax return filing?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Some quick questions now that I have my Roth IRA going. My mutual funds pay dividends. My bond fund pays monthly, and my target retirement fund pays annually. These dividends will be reinvested. Will I need to claim this dividends on my tax return as capital gains? Secondly, I hear dollar cost averaging is your friend when contributing to mutual funds. I'm a little fuzzy on the math--it seems to me it's good for mitigating risk, but I don't see any other benefits.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

ZeldaLeft posted:

I have 10 grand, and I want to start investing. Naturally, at first i was thinking Vegas, but I figured first I'd ask the internets' finest where I should put my money.

I'm an undergraduate, I deliver pizza and thusly make a lot of money(relatively speaking) in unclaimed tips (drivers make minimum wage, so a lot of pizza shops don't make you claim.)

In the short term, I'd like the ability to make deposits/investments of 500-1k (the aforementioned tips) a couple times a month, as well as the occasional (like once every 6 months) privilege of withdrawing a grand or two. I plan on traveling in the near future, so international access is key.

In the long term, I'm trying to have saved 50+ thousand by 2016, and retire in 2035, I recognize that these goals are A: lofty, and B: contingent on my salary and career path and whatnot, but I want to get started early, and on the right track.

I'd say put the majority in a Roth IRA, and then keep a small amount that you'd like to keep liquid (in order to withdraw) into something more accessable. This could be money market, short-term CD, I-bonds (which require 1 year before you withdraw), etc.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I'm in the process of transferring my Roth from USAA to Vanguard, and I'm trying to decipher some of the required paperwork. Does anyone know if I need a Medallion signature guarantee on my paperwork? The owner / registration type of the account isn't changing.

I don't have a local bank branch, so hopefully the answer is no.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 10, 2015

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

Call Vanguard and ask. They're super helpful.

I talked to Vanguard and they said that they don't require one, and it's up to USAA. Dude went on to say that they had "conflicting information" as to whether USAA would require one or not. I talked to USAA, and they said it was up to Vanguard, but the agent didn't sound 100% sure. She said, "I know we don't require one when an account is being transferred TO us" as proof that it should work the same way when money is being taken from them. Sounds dicey. I do have a lot of products through USAA and have had a relationship with them for a solid 15 years now, so hopefully that'll work in my favor.

So w/e, I'm just going to send it in without the medallion guarantee and see what happens. What's annoying is that I have a Chase credit card and I was previously able to obtain a guarantee through them, but they apparently changed their policy and now they won't give me one.

I suppose it still pays to have access to a brink and mortar bank from time to time. If USAA refuses the transfer, I'll look into moving all my banking to a local CU that can provide the service.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 10, 2015

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

If you move a Roth IRA account to another brokerage firm, and as a result the old fund gets liquidated before being moved, are you required to pay capital gains on the liquidated fund?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Thanks everyone--I figured I wouldn't need to worry about taxes, but wasn't positive. It's just a trustee to trustee transfer.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I just completed a transfer "in kind" of my roth from USAA to Vanguard, and my USAA mutual fund is now under my Vanguard account. To move the money to a Vanguard fund, I'm guessing I need to sell all the shares of it, which will make the money available in their monkey market fund, and then purchase shares of a Vanguard fund?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Rexim posted:

Has anyone by any chance ever transferred an IRA from T. Rowe Price to Vanguard? I was wondering how complicated the process is. Everyone says this sort of thing is easy but in my experience, getting two competing companies to cooperate is a pain in the rear end.

Vanguard will make the process as simple as possible, T. Rowe Price may cooperate easily or they might make you jump through a hoop or two. I recently moved my USAA Roth to Vanguard and it only took about a week and a half.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Hey guys, I have a basic question about Roth IRAs. I understand that contributions can be removed without penalty at any time, but I'm wondering how the taxman characterizes "contributions."

If I had a Roth IRA that I contributed say, $15K to over the course of a few years with one institution (USAA), and then rolled that over to a Roth IRA different institution (Vanguard) in 2015, are those original contributions kept track of in some way? Or does rolling it over to a new institution somehow affect the status of the original contributions? In this scenario, I'm wondering if I could withdraw the 15K, or if I'd be subject to penalties and taxes.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Hoodwinker posted:

They're kept track of by the government, who receives a 5498 from the institution each year which lists out the amount of contributions you've made.

Thanks, good to know!