Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I will be running Friends and Neighbors Mafia once I feel like it and the minis currently ongoing have a chance to settle. Maybe in a few weeks, more or less.

Details:

13 players
Open setup, Cardflip is on
Out of thread communication allowed

The setup:

3 Houseowners
10 Vanilla Townies

Power roles (replace Vanilla townies of possibly Homeowners).
50% chance of one 'Village Bicycle (slut)'
50% chance of one 'Insomniac'
50% chance of one 'Dog Owner'
2 Lovers
2 Mafia
1 Mafia Lockpick

A coin flip will be used to determine if each town power role listed above will be in the game. Thus the town and scum cannot know for certain if a role is in the game. Three Mafia players will be assigned to the town, and could either be homeowners or replace Vanilla Townies. One Mafia player will always replace a Vanilla Townie and be the Mafia power role, the Mafia lockpick.

The two lovers are assigned randomly between any two non-homeowner players, so one, both, or neither could be Mafia members. These lovers must either spend the night in a house together or sleep on the street together, if one of them is not invited to a house for the night both must sleep on the street. These are not traditional lovers in that this is their only restriction, if one dies the other does not commit suicide.

The twist on the game is the 'homeowners'. Each night each Homeowner may invite up to 3 other players to stay in his house. These players may then accept or decline the invitation. Any player declining the invitation or not invited sleeps on the street that night. Out of thread communication or in thread communication can be used to get a spot in a house for the night.

The rest of the gameplay works around this mechanic. Each night the Mafia must kill one player. They may choose to kill anyone sleeping on the street (such players are vulnerable) or kill anyone sleeping in the same house as a Mafia member (including a Mafia homeowner). If no Mafia member was able to get into a house with a townie, and there are no townies on the streets, then they have to forfeit their kill.

The power roles work as such:

Mafia Lockpick. If the Mafia Lockpick is sleeping on the street or in a Mafia Homeowner's house he may sneak out and break into another house, killing someone even though they reside in a locked house. If the Mafia Lockpick dies the Mafia lose their ability to infiltrate houses.

Town Bicycle. The 'slut' can choose a player in a house he is in to engage in raunchy sex, preventing them from performing any actions that night but also protecting them from a kill (Mafia don't like witnesses). The Town Bicycle essentially functions as a jailer.

Town Insomniac. The Insomniac barely sleeps, and instead wanders the halls all night. If he is in a house all members of that house are protected from nightkills by other people sleeping in the house.

Town Dog Owner. The town dog owner has a loud and vicious guard dog that will bark at any intruders. If the town dog owner is in a house the Mafia Lockpick attempts to break into the kill will fail because the dog will chase him off.

Ultimately I think this game will be refreshing because of the new mechanic, players can attempt to get houses together full of people they trust with out of thread communication but must always be wary not to let Mafia in. Without a cop players must use their knowledge of who slept where and known or suspected town power roles to determine who could and could not be scum combined with their own suspicions, but they must be careful because the Mafia lockpick can throw the results off, and the Mafia, if they're gutsy, may claim a role that due to the coinflip may not be in the game to counterclaim!

I think the forums could use more open setup games so I think this one could be a fun change for pace for those tired of looking at roleclaims and basing your decision on what the mod would decide rather than what the player is doing.

Edit: One last thing I'm considering is setting the game up with a very short no-lynching day 0 for people to have some quick discussion then moving into a full night 1 with kills and everything.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at Jul 6, 2008 around 18:30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Friends and Neighbors Mafia is open and recruiting! 13 Players total!

edit: signups closed, game is afoot!

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at Jul 14, 2008 around 01:38

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

They're gonna hang me in the mornin
When the night is done
They're gonna hang me in the mornin
Never see the sun...

Welcome to Purgatory, Nevada. A game of Mafia for 28 players! Confirm in thread, game will start at 9 PM Monday July 13th!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I am running my crazy untested and experimental tactical / mafia hybrid now!

Here is the link click it!

Basically it consists of playing a mission of x-com while trying to find the players who are working against you! Should be fun!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Wild West 2

Two more needed, nightless setup with fricken shootouts.

• Locked thread