Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire
:siren: THIS IS NOT JUST ANOTHER CIRCLEJERK POST THIS IS AN ANNOUNCMENT :siren:

(i just like bold and sirens ok??)

The old crew have become progressively more jaded and tired with various aspects of mafia, be it either the thread, or the forums games, or IRC.

A number of us, sitting around on IRC one night, hit upon an idea which we believed would have widespread appeal and help to bring us all back together. The whole point of mafia is broadly to lie and bluff and read other people. What else could resemble this?

The clear answer is: :siren: Hold'em Poker!!! :siren:

I know there's a pretty large number of you who play poker, and that there's a only slightly smaller-than-that-number of you who would like to consider yourselves at least halfway decent.

To that end, we sat down, and created PokerBot for IRC! The team behind it was me with TLB, b0lt and Wuntvor, and with input from Ecco, JoseV, MiR, Tuckfard, Illandir, Porcus, Tao, Xythar, Caps, Lomil, Wind, Trajan, Fitty and KK.

Poker has translated amazingly well to IRC. A few people were skeptical about how it would play out, but everyone who demo'd it concluded that it was loving epic & awesome with little to no coersion :).

Even those who have left IRC due to ennui have been tempted to come back for this. It is *that* good - the hype over this has been entirely justified. There hasn't been an announcement this big since the launch of Mafiabot. For those who haven't come to IRC before, I strongly urge you to come take a look. It's where the cool kids hand - at time of writing, there's 31 of us in there all chillaxing. And now we have poker tourneys!

For those who want information on the bot commands, it's available here. PLEASE READ THIS FIRST BEFORE COMING IN TO PLAY. A quick note: "p status" is your friend. Use it REPEATEDLY, especially in larger games. When you have 10 people screaming in the channel at the flop in an epic game, you will well need it.

There is full control over the initial billfold, the blind settings and even the blind double speed - in it terms of either time, or in terms of the number of hands.

As regards to the whole playing for money issue: There has been talk of playing for small money, say 10 players for $10ea. As bot runner I am slightly leary with having to deal with the drama and fallout should there be issues or problems with payout or something. My inclination would be to say go to a proper poker tourney website and just pay the fees there to minimise drama, but I dunno and it's up for discussion, if enough people want to play for money to make it worthwile and someone trustworthy can be found, who knows? vOv

Once again, my apologies for the near 24 hour delay after my inital pre-announcement. We still had to iron out a few kinks in the code, and we had to get the bot hosted on a stable platform that didn't crash all the time.

We're gonna run a quick tourney now, for say 7 people apart from me. The first 7 people into #pokermafia get in!

Ardent fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire

quote:

Ardent said he wasn't planning on starting his until early September anyway.

Uh, with respect, check your chat logs - I didn't say anything of the sort. Mid september will be a fairly bad time for me since I'll be very very busy.

The game in question would be Douglas Adams Mafia - the 3rd all-star game. It's going to be run by Golden_Zucchini and I & Porcus The Wombat with CCKeane. Currently, we have a prelim setup, prelim flavour ideas, and a prelim invite list.

What I said was that when this launches depends on when we (mostly me :( ) gets our stuff together and finishes this up, which should have been yesterday on the weekend, but will hopefully be the next few days!

:siren: Don't Panic! :siren:

Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire

sc4rs posted:

So, since you're way ahead of me on the queue, will you be taking the RE4 slot? If so, no problem - I just ask because I'm antsy to mod a balanced game. :dance:

In light of KCW's annoucement and priority ahead of us, we're gonna see if we can get it all sorted as quickly as possible. This is going to require no small rush, but we now have to hope to be able to.

Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire

Ardent posted:

The game in question would be Douglas Adams Mafia - the 3rd all-star game. It's going to be run by Golden_Zucchini and I & Porcus The Wombat with CCKeane. Currently, we have a prelim setup, prelim flavour ideas, and a prelim invite list.
:siren: Don't Panic! :siren:

The game is currently in pre-launch.

We have pretty much everything ready, but we're waiting on Golden_Zucchini to confirm the final setup which has been altered before we can go into launch.

A small number of extra early invites has gone out (namely whoever was bugging me in particular about it and was AIM online at the time), the main batch will go out shortly.

Hopefully we should have golden back within 24 hours, at absolute worst 48 hours.

Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2932306 Douglas Adams Mafia thread up, but currently locked.

Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire
:siren: DOUGLAS ADAMS MAFIA IS NOW UP :siren:

Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire
(whoops sorry just realised this is the wrong thread)

Ardent fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 11, 2008

Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire
DAM is now officially over: Pro-Earth victory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent
Oct 11, 2005

in my heart my soul fire
A thousand miles away from somewhere, a butterfly flaps its wings. Last week Tuesday, a whirlwind formed. There'll be apricots in december. Uh-oh! Turbulence in Temporal Travel! A Saffer Switch! Bafana Bafana bail out in Venezuela under the rule of Hugo Chavez! A bunch of boisterous Ronin end up in Bavaria under the rule of Duke Henry II the Quarrelsome (Heinrich der Wänker)! What's all this?! Ardent, Highwire and Zephonith present to you:

Vuvuzelas in Venezuela! / Banzai in Bavaria!

A game of "Soldiers-Style" dual 13 player minis. Above all, a simple, clean, straightforwards setup, with fantastic fun-filled flavour. :3:

Have you ordered TV stations shut down? Have you fought wars against a lot of other people named Henry? If so, this is the game for you. Applications for the role of El Presidente or der Wänker to me please.

Coming to a future near you after Mass Effect finishes. :v:

P.S.: BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Ardent fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 18, 2010

• Locked thread