Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Dude Sweet posted:

I'm currently looking to buy one of these as well, to replace a old-style Ninja250. Good looks, no fairings in the way for servicing, EFI VTwin engine, i'm keen to find one!

Yeah, it's such a great little bike. Even at 6'0 I didn't find it too cramped or uncomfortable. Good luck and hope you find a great one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wow that looks great!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Why doesn't the US get any of the good hondas anymore

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Slavvy posted:

Holy poo poo they came with efi! That's loving rad.

From 2010 on IIRC. The models with that grey plastic panel on the sides are the EFI ones. They also have a different tail light and a headlight with no pattern on the lens.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 28, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I rented a Royal Enfield Bullet (350cc) and rode it around the foothills of the Himalayas

For all the trash that people talk about them when they're angry at hipsters, it turns out they really are perfect motorcycles for Indian roads. Springy suspension and an upright position that soaks up all the bumps. Seemed to be sprung by default for two people or one person with a bunch of stuff tied to the back. Luggage racks and carriers and guards and similar farkles out the wazoo, including a standard left-side footrest so women can ride side-saddle on the pillion. Wide bars for easy maneuverability. Probably fairly heavy, but it doesn't feel like it. Brakes are fair (hydraulic disc front, drum rear) and adequate for the speeds you're going. Not powerful from a first-world perspective but you'll never go over 70km/h anyway, and the engine is built and geared to putter along happily at like 1200 RPM with plenty of torque. Light clutch and very forgiving throttle. Reasonably fuel-efficient. Loud horn (important). Sounds like a helicopter. Overall it was a blast -- just reinforced the idea it's always more fun wringing out a slow bike than mincing around at 5% throttle on some race-replica monster.

A+ would definitely ride again next time I am in India.

P.S.: in the last pic you can see the "helmet" that the rental place supplied. I was only riding for a day on a whim so I chanced it but yeaaaaaaah if you're planning on renting something and actually touring for a couple of days you'd better bring your own gear. The rental place had four helmets:
- One open-face helmet that was in decent shape but which was so cheaply made I could flex it with my hands (green one the other guy is wearing)
- One full-face helmet with no visor and which was just as flexible as the prior one, felt like a child's toy (orange one I took)
- One open-face helmet with a golf-ball-sized hole punched through it
- One open-face helmet with no chin strap and no padding

Then again the bike rental was $13 for the day plus the cost of gas so

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 30, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Any idea how it compares to the 500?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've ridden both a 350 and a Continental gt 500 and I liked the 350 more, there's a substantial weight/size difference without any real performance benefit to the larger bike. The 350 just felt a lot more playful. I took away the same thing as sage: absolutely perfect bike for garbage roads that may or may not be paved.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pity, the 500 is far more common here, though a few 350s exist. They're comparably priced but I'm broke as gently caress right now so it's not like it matters :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What I really want to do now is import one of these police bikes from Kolkata (also 350cc Bullets). Look at that awesome paint job and all those lights and sirens and cases and stuff. I'd daily-ride the poo poo out of that

Local friend says you could probably get one at a police auction for under $1000, and even if it's all falling apart, well, there are like ten million of the things on the road so there's infinite spare parts

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The ultimate fly and ride? :hellyeah:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Picked up a 2001 300 EXC for my Africa Twin to play with, I hope they get along.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Decided to stretch my budget a bit and splash out on an '05 KLR650*... it has been killing me living in Tasmania for 3 years and just having small city bikes (postie, CB125e). The seller neglected to mention in the ad that he had a parts bike that came with it, so really I'm getting like one and a half KLR650s for the price of one! We have a 1BR with a small yard so the parts bike is pushing things with my partner a bit, so plan is to pick that up in a week or two (after her FiL is done visiting...), strip it down, sell off what makes sense and keep what I want, then take the frame to the junkyard. I'll throw it on Gumtree first but I doubt I'll have any takers, is a pretty small market around here.

Brakes definitely leave something to be desired, so I am going to try bleeding them, and have ordered an SS braided line + pads for the front as they're known to be crappy stock. I will be in Melbourne next week and have a free day, so might poke my beak in at a few wreckers and see if I can find a centre stand and a few other aftermarket bits.

It's also got a Staintune exhaust, which is cool for me but not necessarily my neighbor, whom I like.

*OF COURSE, a few hours later I get an email out of the blue from an old friend asking if I want to join for a riding trip in Sri Lanka in April, when I've actually got two weeks off... this was pretty much my 'fun' money for the year :negative:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It's a klr. sell the spare leftovers, use the coin to prep your bike (fluids, doohickey if not done) and go on a trip with your friend. They're cheaper than all gently caress to keep rolling.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was gonna a criticize you for buying a KLR but then I remembered the 125 clusterfuck you initially wanted so good work son.

That front tyre looks pretty lethal.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Slavvy posted:

I was gonna a criticize you for buying a KLR but then I remembered the 125 clusterfuck you initially wanted so good work son.

That front tyre looks pretty lethal.

I haven't wholly given up on that -- gonna see if that farmer ever comes through with the CT125 (once the dust settles on the KLR business in a month or two).

It's not the worst I've seen but not great, and the rear tyre is some random thing off a Vstrom or something and looks pretty useless for dirt. There's a guy nearby advertising a set of Dunlop K750s with 5,000ks on them for $100, which seems a bit high for half-used tyres. If they look OK and he's willing to come down in price a bit I may pick them up to hold me over, otherwise I'll order some Mitas E07's.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus can't you get like shinkos or Continentals or something there?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah uh

There's a point where you have to say "unfortunately, I do not have the money to safely operate a motorcycle," and while that point is gonna be different for everyone, I think that having to buy used tires is a real big problem. Tires are literally the most important part of the whole vehicle (okay maybe tied with brakes) and really, really not a place you should be cheaping out.

then again you do own a klr

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ethics_Gradient lives in a fallout wasteland, apparently.

Good choice on the klr. It looks great, and I hate KLRs. Give up on your dream of rust bucket money pit paperweights, pls.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E_G I'm in NZ and my pricing/market seems comparable to yours. I can get shinko 50/50 road legal knobs for about 250/set, they are excellent tyres and that isn't that big a stretch from a hundred bucks.

Also

Coydog posted:

Give up on your dream of rust bucket money pit paperweights, pls.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Yikes dudes, it's the secondhand market here that's small, not new stuff. New tyres will probably set me back $300, maybe less for Shinkos, but I actually haven't heard much good press about them until Slavvy posted just now. And I don't mind paying a little extra for quality rubber, it's not like I don't realise how important tyres are, especially on a two-wheeled vehicle.

At the same time, how many of you throw your tyres out when they're halfway through their wear cycle? For $80 I'd be happy to ride around on these for a few months (doubt I'll do more than 1-2k), assuming they're not more than ~5 years old or look bad. According to the seller the front is like new, rear down 30%, but I'm waiting on a pic/date code before I go check them out.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 10, 2018

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Picked up a 2001 300 EXC for my Africa Twin to play with, I hope they get along.

How’s it ride?

Ethics_Gradient posted:

At the same time, how many of you throw your tyres out when they're halfway through their wear cycle? For $80 I'd be happy to ride around on these for a few months (doubt I'll do more than 1-2k), assuming they're not more than ~5 years old or look bad. According to the seller the front is like new, rear down 30%, but I'm waiting on a pic/date code before I go check them out.

Uh...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yikes dudes, it's the secondhand market here that's small, not new stuff. New tyres will probably set me back $300, maybe less for Shinkos, but I actually haven't heard much good press about them until Slavvy posted just now. And I don't mind paying a little extra for quality rubber, it's not like I don't realise how important tyres are, especially on a two-wheeled vehicle.

Road tires I'm pretty anal and toss them when they're down to the wear bars but that's well past 50%. Knobs I just get rid of when they start to ride ole poo poo but if you haven't tried them while new it can be hard to tell.

Shinko make extremely good dual sport tyres, the road legal knobs I mentioned before (designation eludes me) are easily equal to Continental tkc80 or Metzler karoo on the road, comparable on dirt but I haven't got the skills to really test the latter. They probably don't last as long but unless it's literally half of the lifespan of a Conti, which I doubt, they're more cost effective.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

builds character posted:

How’s it ride?

This thing RIPS. I took it on some trails behind the storage place I have it in for the winter and :eyepop:. I cant wait till march when taskers gap / peters mill run opens back up.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on a great ride today with CSB up PCH to Skaggs road to Santa Rosa. Some highlights:

PCH:

Skaggs:

Santa Rosa, a field of chimneys:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

different angle of Pokie's first photo.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

cursedshitbox posted:

different angle of Pokie's first photo.

way to suck the life out of a shot

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
IDK what that means; I thought it was a good photo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Tyre update: dude sold them while I was out of town, so will do new.

In other news, took delivery of the parts KLR yesterday, which has already become an artificial reef of sorts for local critters:

Was hoping for both wheels, but bike was in a front end collision so forks are bent and front wheel was completely wrecked. There are still a number of nice little extras like levers, cables, etc that I'll keep for spares on the trail, plus a few bits that are in nicer shape than mine I'd like to swap over at some point. It has a tank and mostly complete set of plastics, so I may try repainting those and seeing if I like the result.

For $3 I figured it was worth running the VIN against the PPSR, and it came back clean. Bike was originally registered through 2015 in WA (clear on the other side of the continent), so I'm guessing someone was on a big trip 2-3 years ago and wrecked it down here with no insurance to claim. Once I get it down to just the frame I may chuck that on eBay and see if I get any bites before I take it to the wreckers, assuming it has no serious faults. Surprised at how light it is, even with swingarm, subframe, and a few other bits still attached.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like this bike but don't think I've seen it before. What is it?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

I like this bike but don't think I've seen it before. What is it?

XJ600, or Seca II. The N version was never sold in the US. After it got stolen and trashed, I rebuilt it as you see it. A buddy built the cockpit from scratch and added a Buell fly screen and passed the setup on to me.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Looks great! I live the piping on the seat, though I assume that came with it. Is that vinyl wrap on the upper fork tubes or something else?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A friend of mine had a SECA II a while back and it was a really nice bike. Incredibly smooth and easy to ride.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The seat is aftermarket, its a Corbin. If you're referring to the red on the fork tubes between the triples, that's 40mm steel tubing that the headlight brackets and gauges are mounted to. Fork tubes are wrapped in rubber and the whole assembly slips down onto them.

It's a really easy bike to own and ride. Not especially interesting but really capable. Takes very little maintenance. Power delivery is predictable and it's surprisingly nimble. I guess that's why they were the courier bike of choice in London for so long.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's with the digger tyres though?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gravel

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

We had to go pick up a new battery for the Hawk, so we made a ride out of it. Glorious day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

More pics of your helmet please.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

+ matching gloves

....kicking myself for not getting the jacket though :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:swoon: