Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

OniPanda posted:

Well after some retardation (banks :argh: ), I finally got my first bike.

2008 Suzuki M50

I was wantin black because it didn't come in blue, and I'd get it painted later. But the black/yellow is pretty hot and I still have the option of repainting it.

Wow, that is really beautiful.

I messed up the looks of my '05 Red M50 by putting a sissy bar on and never cleaning it. I forgot how nice these bikes are.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I traded Ol' Red:

For a new Zed:

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 1, 2008

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
At least I still have a red pickup truck.

At 33,850 miles over 3 years of riding, the cruiser was starting to get a little boring. It was a great first bike, but after riding some of my friends' sportbikes, the upgrade was inevitable.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Valt posted:

For the rest of us who don't have any idea what you guys are talking about. Care to explain a little?

A few years ago, Morphix became an AI motorcycle pariah after repeated failures to learn anything about riding. He ignored our advice repeatedly, crashed a few times, and joked about the motorcycle making him a virtual booby magnet, specifically, getting his knob twiddled by a female passenger.

I thought it was hilarious, but a lot of people really had their panties in a twist. If I'm missing something, please fill me in.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Ezrem posted:

This is my brand-new 2.5 months ago Suzuki GSX-R600.

Until recently I was riding a 1991 Honda CBR600. With the prices of used bikes skyrocketing thanks to gas prices, I figured now was a good time to upgrade.

Mind if I ask how they compare?

Specifically, what's the HP difference/comfort difference? Is it a big upgrade, or a really really big upgrade?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Congratulations!

Now where do you live? We should ride.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

FunkyJunk posted:

I've always found the FZR to be a bit primitive. I'd say reduce your choices to the EN-6r or ZX6r. They're different enough that the final decision should lie in what you want to do with them. The EN will be a better "do it all" bike and will be more comfortable, while the ZX6R will be a better sportbike, probably with better suspension, brakes, etc.

Don't forget the ZZR-600 is still available. $7300 new vs. $9300 for a new ZX-6R.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I'm on the bike in front. Yeah, we were speeding, but I only passed on the left in legal passing zones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9EQ2eSZwQ&fmt=6

Make sure you watch the end.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Hey, it's better than a Honda. They were still carbureted in 2005.

800cc Boulevards are great bikes. I still miss mine.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
That enormous block in front of the exhaust is an oil cooler?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^ Time for a new custom title.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Doctor Zero posted:

Like Z3n said, relax the death grip on the bars, and try to stay in your lane, and you'll be fine.

Gripping the tank with your knees can really help out in a crosswind.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

frozenphil posted:

Thanks for the compliments, folks.

I haven't really looked in to them much, but probably. I know that the spools for the ZX10 fit the 250R so maybe there's something similar for frame sliders.

The swingarm spools for Kawasakis are almost universal. Get frame sliders specific to your bike, and do it ASAP.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Bad rear end. That is my favorite SV.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Jesus Christ that looks slippery.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Ola posted:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Low end punch is not something Superbikes are lacking. A warning though: lots of low end punch + the long gearing of a superbike = without intending to you can find yourself going quite fast before you feel yourself going fast.

Yes it is. That's inherent to their design.

He's referring to Superbikes, which are I-4's of roughly 1000cc's. Your example was of a 600cc I-4, which is a Supersport.

1000cc I-4's are absolute torque monsters, even with liquid cooling and fancy injection.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
And you'll have X-Wing decals on your Goldwing hard bags to indicate how many "kills" you have racked up.

I saw that irl once.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

blackstar posted:

NM, I was being retarded and read the last post date as being 2005(!).

I've never ridden a belt drive motorcycle. Is the feel the same as a well adjusted chain? Do they have, or need, a cush drive in the back wheel?

The change in drive mechanism is barely noticeable once you rev up the the paint shaker of an engine.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I started on an M50. Excellent choice, you're going to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Pack some extra underwear for when you finally decide to wring it out.