Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
00 Suzuki SV650, 95 BMW F650, Suzuki RM80 and a 95-96 Honda CR125

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sir.Tucker posted:

Not currently. I've been looking for a suitable replacement but it's going to be a pain in the rear end to mount anything in a minimalistic fashion.

For super minimal there's always these
http://motogadget.com/digitalinstrumente/digitaltacho-serie-mini/motoscope-mini.html
mounted in one of these
http://motogadget.com/digitalinstrumente/digitaltacho-serie-mini/montage.html
Just fitted one to a buddys streetfighter project. its drat sexy but really loving expensive.

it was this model,

i'll be out in his house tomorrow, i'll take a few pics and a video of it running.

I have an acewell on my bike

they make nice small round ones aswell

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

House Party 4 posted:

I took it out on the highway yesterday. Wow. Wind is a force to be reckoned with and I won't be passing many cars. Then again, I don't think I'll be doing 10 over the limit like I'm used to in my car.

Wind is a problem if you're tense and stiff-armed when riding, you should never be gripping your bars too tight, you should be able to flap your elbows and move your torso around without it affecting your steering input. Once you loosen up the bike will be much less affected by crosswinds.
When i first started riding I used to do an Arrested Development-esque chicken impression every few minutes to consciously keep myself loose on the bike. Now its second nature (the looseness, not the chicken dance).

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chriskory posted:

It's really windy. I read plenty of reviews and stuff about naked bikes, and the idea sounded great when reading about it; In real life, after 60 or 70 mph It's just really, really windy.

Get some decent earplugs, taking away the wind noise really makes riding less stressful overall. I use ones like these. they're washable and reusable. http://www.totusafety.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=355

If the wind at higher speeds is bothering you a lot you're probably holding onto the bars with your arms too much,you should never really be holding on any harder than you'ld hold a packet of crisps(chips). You should always be able to flap your elbows in an arrested development-esque chicken impression.

Once you get up to higher speeds on a naked bike you can lean against the wind and let it hold you up, no need to be holding onto the bars for dear life. You'll build up better bike specific muscles soon as well and you'll forget that it ever bothered you.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chriskory posted:

I like those earplugs you linked, but it seems like you have to contact them to be made or they're just out of them right now. How many decibels is the wind noise? I guess I'll add my blue plugs into getting dressed routine until I figure out something better.

I linked those because they were the first ones i found in a google search of that type, you can find them on ebay or in probably gun shops/chanisaw dealers.
They are the best I've found, the string means you can just drop them down around your neck if you have to take your helmet off to run into a shop. Foam ones get disgustingly dirty really quickly. With those i pop them in boiling water for a minute and they are good as new.

edit: also they go in way easier than those bastard foam ones.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Well I bought a b-king yesterday. Besides having an exceptionally squared off rear tire, it is in good shape and came with some quality farkles. I had a blast taking it for a cruise through a state forest this afternoon.

B-Kings are cool, I always thought they should have shipped from the factory with a Decepticon logo on the tank.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Internet Meme posted:

I don't get it.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=923&q=honda+bros

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Bandits are slow as balls compared to the bike he's coming off of, its possible that has a 33bhp restriction too if its a loaner.

no one is mocking the fact that he thought it was a supersport, just peddling the same tired old hate when there's so much fresh fodder.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bucephalus posted:

In the case of the S1000RR, replace "ugly" with "asymmetrical", and his point stands.

Asymmetry is BMW's thing. Personally subjective views of what's ugly does not mean that there wasn't a shitton of design iterations that the S1000RR went through before ending up like it does now. (which is loving awesome looking by the way)

It has nothing to do with function beyond visually distinguishing the bike from the Japanese supersports.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

Came upon this on CraigsList and couldn't help myself.

2004 Ninja 636, with 12k miles. It's been streetfightered out. What got me was the handlebar. It has a leaky coolant reservoir jug and an ugly Acerbis headlight but I decided to go for the $2,800 asking price. Boy does a 600 feel different when you're not crouched over clip-ons.

nice bike.
also

Saga posted:

Has it been downgeared appropriately? Remember, it's streetfightered, so constant wheelies are now mandatory.

wheelie jokes aside, now that its naked you don't need all that top end, +3 on the back would it a lot more fun and also make it more tractable in traffic/low speed manoeuvring

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

EvilCrayon posted:

So I traded my two brothers exhaust for a two brothers exhaust. except it exits on the opposite side!

The proper side, the whole reason behind single sided swingers was for fast wheel changes in endurance races, which was then compromised by putting the exhaust in the way on certain street models.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

I just bought this...

So I'm inclined to disagree :D

The power and torque are immense; it's also a pretty huge bike physically but the handling is amazing thanks to some work someone's done on the suspension (not sure of the details, it definitely isn't factory with 90,000km's on the clock). In numerical terms it's both the most powerful and heaviest bike I've ridden but it's a complete pussycat if you take it easy, and very predictable and smooth in general. Feels like an armchair strapped to a locomotive.

Does anyone know what the swingarm is off? It isn't the usual retro braced one and the guy said the prior owner swapped it out but couldn't tell me what sort of bike it fell off of?

looks like a z1000 or some other more modern Kawasaki swingarm, they have the same eccentric adjuster

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Has a Z1K got dual rear shocks?

Reckon this will affect the way it rides at all, beyond just being slightly lighter?

forgot about the dual shocks vs monoshock thing. could be an expensive aftermarket one, there are tons of bolt on upgrades for that bike. i wouldnt worry about it having a negative effect on the handling

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

They were doing 4 lap races because everyone would get really sore if it went on longer than that, and they all climbed off holding their backs and limping :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIKQZL0UqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIKQZL0UqQ

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Interesting! That's the first bike I've heard of that's 3v. You would expect there to be more, seeing as there are so many 3v cars, but I guess the cost-benefit equation is different for bikes. I'm assuming it's SOHC, does it have rocker arms with screw adjusters, or the little shims that sit on top of the valve stem?

http://hawkworks.net/manual/3.html#3-7-valve-clearance screw adjusters. they used that engine on the africa twins and NT650 deauvilles as well.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

leica posted:

Yeah me too, 10 minute commute at 35mph tops = helmet and gloves. Jacket if it's cold.

I try really hard not to crash, but an Egret had something to say about that last week :smith:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tactical Lesbian posted:

haha it must suck to be old!!!

Insurance gets cheap, that's about the only upside

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

You could ride that bike right now.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shouldn't be a problem for the beetah

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

cursedshitbox posted:

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/yamaha-xt-660-x-2007-goda-IDsCcDY.html#5dd06602fc

$3800 in kiev. drat you!

lol @ urals. They're like $200usd so of course I'll get one to use as a truck and generally play ~mysummercar~ with. It's common to remove the passenger berth and replace it with a deck.

E: Dnepr (samething). Both within :20bux: of $200.
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-mt-v-idealnom-sostoyaniy-IDtDuKe.html#3f9b423a1b
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-srochno-bez-torga-IDrxYRC.html#3f9b423a1b

Having been in Kiev for work last year, there's almost no way you could convince me to ride a bike there. The road surfaces are really hosed in a lot of places, and the traffic is basically just non stop dashcam fodder.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

On the VFR forums at https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/ there are actually a decent amount of projects where some sort of CBR bodywork from various years is the attempt. Most of them just seem to end up in failure or some part of the process becomes too laborious or difficult and they end up fizzling out. There are nice looking ones, too, one with a custom 900rr supermoto look with straight bar, that ended up costing more than 2000 dollars, so it's not unheard of. However, I'm paying this guy 300 euros and he's having at it with seemingly no difficulty, so your mileage may wary.

VFR engine is an amazing engine and loved, so the project seems logical considering how butt ugly the original bodywork is.

300 euro is a decent price, bodywork swaps are fiddly.

I made a subframe for a mates 99CBR900RR to fit a GSXR tail a few months back.

Bike on the left.

General idea

High tech mockup

Fit up on front section of subframe

Rear section with seat cowl latch mechanism mount and exhaust support

Finished

Cant find a pic with the undertray fitted, just this one of it sitting on the wheel.

Putting gixxer tails on everything yo

echomadman fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 31, 2019

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

That is pretty. Customising frames and fairings is my jam. Some body parts are just the prettiest and should be on every bike. (2006 600RR)

Subframe/tail swaps are the messiest, there's usually a lot of poo poo in there with CDI/Battery wiring looms. On the white CBR in the first pic the battery is relocated under the carbs, getting to it is a loving nightmare. I was able to mount it under the seat in the front of the subframe on the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Fun day today, put the 17''s back on the DRZ with some brand new Michelins and went out to teach a mate how to wheelie his new to him ktm.