Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot
First off, my Triumph TT600 (2001):

I herculined all the fiberglass and plastic bits. It's had a rough life at my hands, so I figured a tough coating was in order. Also, for a good laugh fire up Bike Bandit and peruse the OEM prices for anything Triumph.

Annnnd, here is my YZ 426F (2001)

4XX class MX bikes are brutally overpowered, have massive suspension capabilities and just in general are scary. There are apparently folks that can ride them to near 100% of the bikes potential and THAT is a scary thought. MX/trail is a riot however and I suggest that if the chance ever comes up to do some offroading proper on a offroad rig, go for the gusto. There are no rules (aside from not being a total douche and wrecking the environment), wheelies are encouraged, stoppies are applauded and the bikes are amazingly tough. If you aren't coming off the bike now and again, something is wrong. Total stress blowoff, they are gas powered therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

French Canadian posted:

Haha holy crap. A matching pair of Honda Reflexes for $3000. They have really low miles, too.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/830619439.html

I wonder how these would compare to something like a Yamaha TW200. I suppose they'd be more unrefined, but pretty awesome for around town stuff.

I have a reflex, bought it new in 1986. Tough old goat, will climb anything. However the suspension is lacking and the 198cc engine is a bit anemic. Quiet as a church mouse, a real stealthy bike to poach some hiking trails. As a city bike it would be excellent, pretty light and stairs/curbs are easy-peasy with it.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Z3n posted:

No way you're pushing 120 on a modern 600. Maybe 110 on a really nice one, with a good aftermarket pipe, and tuning.

The difference that is biggest, IMO, is losing almost 100 pounds of weight, as well as 15 years of suspension/frame development.

Really? I'm seeing from 100-108 on the 08 models @ the wheel(stock). That means 120-130-ish from the lump prior to losses in the trans and chain. I don't want to argue semantics, but the current crop of 600 SS bikes do in fact make 120-ish hp.

^^edit Oh goddamnit Morales

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

sigtrap posted:

heated grips

You will adore these, even on a slightly chilly day heated grips make life on a bike so much nicer. Cold fingers don't work as swiftly and accurately as toasty ones. I was able to ride in 3 degree(F) conditions with some good gauntlets and my heaters cranked. Prior to the grips I was having issues when the temps dipped into the teens.