Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I'd share the goldfish pattern, but I don't want to start a world of crap after the lady was so nice. It's really easy to make though. I bet if you used a bigger hook and thicker yarn you could make it as big as you want.

It wouldn't be any use to me because I'm terrible at understanding crochet patterns, especially amigurumi. But thanks anyway. I'll just get some chunky orange and make it up as I go along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
If it helps at all, the top fin is a triangle, and the back fin is an oval folded in half.

After my rush of cristmas things to crochet I'm definitely making one of those brain slugs. :3:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I just finished a brain slug! It turned out really nicely for a first project. I made a few other things, but can't share them yet because they're surprise christmas prezzies. :ssh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

VR Cowboy posted:

I just finished a brain slug! It turned out really nicely for a first project. I made a few other things, but can't share them yet because they're surprise christmas prezzies. :ssh:

Aah, that is awesome - is there a pattern somewhere? I would love to do a quick surprise one for my OH. Sorry if I missed it mentioned elsewhere, haven't been around for a bit - mostly through being in the sick and knackered 1st trimester, but also cos I've been knocking up some very last minute requests for a Creepy Cute amazon and corporate zombie: http://bit.ly/4mVUOU and a doily: http://bit.ly/5YYYU4, and before that some hats for me: http://bit.ly/3ZzZtv

Also - haven't put the pics up yet but Lion Brand have some neat free Xmas patterns. I made a couple of these Happy Reindeers for a bauble swap: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80971AD.html?r=1

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
The pattern for the slug is available here: http://www.hookandneedles.com/2008/10/17/brain-slugs/

rushivywithglocks
Jul 10, 2005
it is a token of my loveship.
Meet Sackboy and wonky-looking octopus. Both of these started out as scarves, until I realized that I would never wear them. They were also made when I was just loving around with a hook and couldn't actually comprehend what I was doing. I have no idea how I would go about making them again and they look rather like a knit pattern than a crochet pattern.

And a more successful giant granny square blanket (which I ended up hating the colors of and gave to my family as a Christmas gift. :ssh:) I've started a less ugly version, but keep losing my hooks, so progress has stalled.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

VR Cowboy posted:

The pattern for the slug is available here: http://www.hookandneedles.com/2008/10/17/brain-slugs/

Cheers, you are a star! Much appreciated. I hope I've got some green knocking about!

porcupinecake
Mar 16, 2008

I crocheted stockings for everyone this year and bought stocking stuffers to fill them. It was easier for me given my budget and stockings are more fun anyway!

I made six total; 2 of each color combination.

I'm super happy with the way they turned out and I hope everyone likes them.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

porcupinecake posted:

I crocheted stockings for everyone this year and bought stocking stuffers to fill them. It was easier for me given my budget and stockings are more fun anyway!

I'm super happy with the way they turned out and I hope everyone likes them.

Those are awesome! I was thinking of making a stocking this year for myself and my husband, since neither of us have one, and yours are definitely a great idea!

Paper Lantern
Nov 7, 2009
The dark background makes him a little tricky to see but I just wanted to share my Nibbler!
He's the second project i've ever finished so he looks a little tacky in parts (his nose) but I think it gives him character.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Paper Lantern posted:

That is so :3:

I got a subscription to Crochet Today for Christmas. They had a pattern for heart coasters in there. I decided to sew 2 together, stuff it, and put a face on it. This is the result:

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Does anyone have any good tutorial on making graphghans with Tunisian crochet? I've seen a lot of 8-bit blankets on different websites and I really want to try and make one. I just wanted to do a smaller project before I jump in without really knowing what I'm doing only to get frustrated.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Just to let everyone in this topic know I've started a yarn destash trading thread in SA-Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3249996

Even you mysterious hookers are welcomed! :v:

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.

crochet Early Cuyler (from Squidbillies) complete with trucker hat. I just can't figure out how to put a face on him. Surprisingly, this is the first ami thing I've ever made that came out decent and I just winged the whole thing.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Embroider it on? cut it from felt and sew it on? give him button eyes?

Edit, i wish i had a pattern for him. He's awesome!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

The hat is fantastic. It makes him recognizable even without the face.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis
Those of you who are also knitters - I ran across this site this morning:

http://www.p-hop.co.uk/

It has knitting patterns you can download in return for a donation (in UK£ or US$) to Medicines Sans Frontiers, who are obviously quite involved with the Haiti situation at the moment. I know absolutely nothing about knitting and sadly there are no crochet patterns at the moment, but I know some of you are bilingual :) so I thought I'd pass it on. Some of those socks look great!

Xinica
Mar 20, 2007

I'm trying to crochet a pair of socks, but I have run into a problem.

I have been crocheting the heel with sc, and now I'm supposed to close up the heel. This is what the pattern says:
"To close the opening, after each sc across the bottom of the heel opening, rmove hook, insert top to bottom through the corresponding sc in the top of the heel opening, re-insert the hook into the loop of the sc just completed on the bottom of the heel opening, and pull through. Yo, pull through, and continue with the next sc on the bottom of the heel opening".

I think I'm doing something wrong here.. Am I supposed to remove the hook from the loop before inserting it in the next sc each time, and alternate between top and bottom sc?

InferiorCatwoman
Apr 27, 2007
There may have been an incident with a kitchen implement and his hand... the implement may have been a sandwich toaster and I may have introduced his hand to it.
Finished my sister-in-law's baby blanket! I'm not going to do a border because Liam's due next month and it took me six-seven months to finish this... I kept putting it down in favor of schoolwork. (Boo!)

My mom suggested I steam it and re-block it to fix the way it scrunches in the middle, which I've never done before.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Xinica posted:

I'm trying to crochet a pair of socks, but I have run into a problem.

I have been crocheting the heel with sc, and now I'm supposed to close up the heel. This is what the pattern says:
"To close the opening, after each sc across the bottom of the heel opening, rmove hook, insert top to bottom through the corresponding sc in the top of the heel opening, re-insert the hook into the loop of the sc just completed on the bottom of the heel opening, and pull through. Yo, pull through, and continue with the next sc on the bottom of the heel opening".

I think I'm doing something wrong here.. Am I supposed to remove the hook from the loop before inserting it in the next sc each time, and alternate between top and bottom sc?

It seems like the instruction are saying to go ahead and make a sc on the bottom row. Then remove your hook from the loop on the bottom row, reinsert it to the corresponding sc on the top row, grab the loop on the bottom sc and pull the loop through the top single crochet. Chain one, then do another sc on the bottom row. Repeat.

It seems like your connecting ridge might be just chains?

Hope that helps.

Inferiorcatwoman: Love the blanket! I honestly don't see any scrunchies in the middle...but I heard blocking is always good for afghans. Great work!

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
I made a foot-tall Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor doll (from Doctor Who).

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
That is excellent

rex banner
Nov 4, 2004
I made a Mario blanket a while back - my first attempt at a large crochet project! It went to a friend, who now wants a Luigi and Yoshi blanket...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
The oversized buttons are PERFECT. However, if your friend now desires THREE blankets I hope they're paying well for all of that work. :gonk:

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

For the Mario blanket, how did you sew together the squares? I'm trying to do a graphgghan along the same vein of what you're doing. I started sewing together a row and the squares kinda look wonky.

rex banner
Nov 4, 2004

Ms. Happiness posted:

For the Mario blanket, how did you sew together the squares? I'm trying to do a graphgghan along the same vein of what you're doing. I started sewing together a row and the squares kinda look wonky.
Each of the small squares has the same number of stitches. I just took two squares, placed the right sides together, then did a simple overhand stitch in the bottom loop of each crochet stitch, making sure that they were lined up perfectly - each crochet stitch was lined up with the corresponding stitch number of the other square.

I hope that makes some sense... however...

The blanket was quite wonky until I blocked it. It's still pretty wonky because I used different types of yarn and around the edge the larger squares still bunch up badly. I just tried to hide it in the pictures. It certainly doesn't lie completely flat! I found that giving it an edge helped create the illusion of a less wonky blanket!

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

The oversized buttons are PERFECT. However, if your friend now desires THREE blankets I hope they're paying well for all of that work. :gonk:

He offered to pay, so I might eventually make him his other blankets. It was a pretty boring project though - all those squares! It'll be a while before I make another. It was kinda cool though, at the beginning of my project all of my husbands friends were smirking and making fun of me, when they saw it coming together they stopped the teasing and were all "wow... I want one..."

rex banner fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 2, 2010

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Tom Baker and the Mario blanket are both incredibly awesome. I really need to start crocheting again.

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Woah, I saw that Mario blanket featured over at Craftster! Great job! It must have taken a lot of patience.

I made this kitty for my person in the Secret Admirer Exchange, made up the pattern. I'm really happy with it, but my admiree is a guy so I hope he doesn't hate it :ohdear: Sorry for the crummy picture.

I'm making a red one to go along with it, in the theme of Valentine's day!

porcupinecake
Mar 16, 2008

^^^That kitty is adorable!

I made this bear for my admiree in the Secret Admirer swap.

I'd never made an amigurumi before and the yarn made it impossible to see the stitches. I had to make most of it up as I went, but I think it turned out cute.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
I'm a knitter but I keep stumbling across gorgeous amigurumi patterns that I need to try out.
I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an amigurumi tutorial that might be in english for someone who is just starting to crochet?
Thanks!~

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
The Roxycraft Blog has a bunch of video tutorials. They're listed on the side of the page.

You can find tutorials on Instructables as well. More on the side.

Hook & Needles has video tutorials including beginning crochet stitches.

You can Google amigurumi and find tons. There's so much out there in English. Check YouTube, as well. There's also a lot of books out in English. Do a keyword search for amigurumi at your library or favorite bookstore and you'll probably find a few.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I usually get yarn at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I'm wondering if it's worth it to just get a bunch online? What are some good sites to get decently priced yarn?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Smiley's Yarn has some amazing deals on yarn. You might want to check ebay as well, it's always a good place to find some bargain yarn.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

rex banner posted:

I made a Mario blanket a while back - my first attempt at a large crochet project! It went to a friend, who now wants a Luigi and Yoshi blanket...

I don't crochet because I want to think. Will you share your pattern for the squares?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I'd share the goldfish pattern, but I don't want to start a world of crap after the lady was so nice. It's really easy to make though. I bet if you used a bigger hook and thicker yarn you could make it as big as you want.

The Cthulhu pattern is from Creepy Cute. In fact, I probably heard about Creepy Cute Crochet from this thread, now that I think about it. I googled Zoidberg Amigurumi and someone already had the Zoidberg/Cthulhu idea.

Has the woman who made it made it available for purchase or anything? I'm sure I could figure it out if I tried, but that comes back to that whole thinkin' problem (I don't want to).

As far as yarn, at Hobby Lobby I found a couple brands I really like. They're "I Love This Yarn" which is 100% acrylic and softer than some cotton I've found, and "I Love This Cotton," which is obviously a cotton and soooo soft. My store in town also usually carries this bamboo yarn that's super soft. I don't recall the brand name.

I have a fondness for cheap acrylic because I love color and I usually don't knit or crochet anything meant to be worn, but I don't go to Walmart anymore. Red Heart has some lots in their variegated patterns that come out super scratchy, but I find that Hobby Lobby never seems to have those lots. I don't know how they do it.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 7, 2010

rex banner
Nov 4, 2004

NancyPants posted:

I don't crochet because I want to think. Will you share your pattern for the squares?

I found it on the internet 2 years ago, and can't seem to find it anymore and I left the print-out on the other side of the country...

It was ridiculously simple though:

- Round 1: chain (ch) 5, join with a slip stitch to form a ring.
- Round 2: ch 3 (counts as 1st DC), DC 3 into the ring, chain 2; DC 4 into ring, ch 2; DC 4 into ring, ch 2; DC 4 in ring, ch 2; join with a slip stitch (into the 3rd ch of the first "DC")
- Round 3:

side one: ch 3 (counts as 1st DC), DC into each DC from previous round (that's 4 DC), DC another 2 into the space the 2 ch made, ch 2

side 2: DC 2 into the same chain space, DC into each DC from previous round (4), DC 2 into the ch 2 space, ch 2.

repeat side 2 step for sides 3 & 4; After finishing side 4 and making the ch 2 space, you'll need to DC 2 into the ch space to complete the first side, then join with a slip stitch.

so pretty much, you start off with 4 DC to a side, then increase each side by adding 2 DC to each end of a side (so it's an overall increase of 4 DC a side).

If this doesn't make much sense, I'll be happy to try and clarify anything.

rex banner fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 8, 2010

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

NancyPants posted:

Has the woman who made it made it available for purchase or anything? I'm sure I could figure it out if I tried, but that comes back to that whole thinkin' problem (I don't want to).

You can purchase the pattern from her Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_2&listing_id=40004560

I think $3 is totally worth it for the pattern. It's really easy and the goldfish comes out super cute with minimal effort.

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Kind of a repost, made another Valentine's kitty and fixed up the pink one I already posted a photo of. They're all finished and boxed up to send to my admiree :)

I made sure to write down the pattern and tried to improve it as I worked, if anyone would be interested in the pattern (it might be a little confusing at parts due to my lack of know-how but it's not too hard) just let me know. I'd love to see what other people's look like!

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Awesome and adorable kitties! I would love to see a pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

rex banner posted:

I found it on the internet 2 years ago, and can't seem to find it anymore and I left the print-out on the other side of the country...

It was ridiculously simple though:

- Round 1: chain (ch) 5, join with a slip stitch to form a ring.
- Round 2: ch 3 (counts as 1st DC), DC 3 into the ring, chain 2; DC 4 into ring, ch 2; DC 4 into ring, ch 2; DC 4 in ring, ch 2; join with a slip stitch (into the 3rd ch of the first "DC")
- Round 3:

side one: ch 3 (counts as 1st DC), DC into each DC from previous round (that's 4 DC), DC another 2 into the space the 2 ch made, ch 2

side 2: DC 2 into the same chain space, DC into each DC from previous round (4), DC 2 into the ch 2 space, ch 2.

repeat side 2 step for sides 3 & 4; After finishing side 4 and making the ch 2 space, you'll need to DC 2 into the ch space to complete the first side, then join with a slip stitch.

so pretty much, you start off with 4 DC to a side, then increase each side by adding 2 DC to each end of a side (so it's an overall increase of 4 DC a side).

If this doesn't make much sense, I'll be happy to try and clarify anything.

I don't understand the side one and two thing. Are we talking right side and wrong side or is this a side of the square that's being made?

e: I figured it out.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 8, 2010