Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

And projects in an unfinished state are often said to be hibernating or UFOs (unfinished objects). You see these in knitting a lot, IDK as much about crochet culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Google wasn't too clear or helpful about this, but just to make sure: can I use any kind of yarn to crochet? Or are there types of yarn that are good just for knitting and I should avoid?

I went to one of the last local stores left that sell yarn, and asked for acrylic since that's what most online articles I've been reading suggest, but I got all but insulted for wanting to use it instead of wool or cotton...

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Any yarn is fine. Knitting/crochet culture often frowns on acrylic yarn because it doesn't feel as nice (I think there are other reasons too but tbh that's the only one that matters), but it's washable and easy to work with so it's great to learn with and use for things like children's toys. I bought into that snobbery when I was younger but there's not really any reason.

I would avoid yarn with little bobbles or fur at first because they're hard to use crocheting. I'd also kind of twist the yarn strand if you can to see if it separates easily. That's a bigger problem with cotton, but some acrylic yarns do it as well. When the strands separate easily, sometimes you can stick your hook in there on accident.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I think I could accurately be described as a yarn snob, and I will tell you that local yarn stores are notorious for being snotty dicks. They have a habit of browbeating people into buying expensive yarn whether it's the best choice for their project or not, giving people attitude for buying less expensive yarn, and taking advantage of people new to the craft--this is even more likely if you're dealing with the owner. There are still good shops around, but don't feel an ounce of guilt for skipping a snotty one; you have no obligation to prop up a business that is poo poo to their customers. I've been knitting about 15 years, crocheting about 10, and dyeing for 2 or 3 years; ain't no shame in *my* Red Heart game.

Acrylic today is better than acrylic even 10 years ago, let alone 40, and there are plenty of soft, durable, acrylics out there that are great for blankets, toys, bags, scarves and hats, and pillows. I don't tend to use it for garments because if you want a warm garment, you have to work it pretty tight and then you don't get great drape, as well as being unable to block it for shape/tension. Acrylic isn't absorbent in the same way that wool is (wool can hold 30% of its weight in water before it even feels wet) and doesn't have the same antimicrobial properties as wool that keep body odor down. Unlike wool, but like cotton, acrylic yarn has little to no give so it might be a little harder to work if you work very tightly or don't have tension down quite yet. The upsides to acrylic are that it's far less expensive than animal fibers for the same quality, it's colorfast, it comes in a wide range of colors and variety of color attributes (heathered/ombre/variegated/etc), it's durable and easy to care for, and it is available almost everywhere. In my experience, Walmart gets seconds or off lots of all their yarns (color and texture is always off) so I'd suggest using coupons and getting it someplace like Joann or Michael's. I have never bought a skein of anything from Walmart that matched what was available elsewhere, even with matching lot numbers.

There is no one fiber that is better than any others; each has their pros and cons and most of it ultimately comes down to personal preference. For instance, I think pretty much any garment or accessory works better as a knit, but that doesn't mean you can't crochet clothing. I won't work with cotton because it doesn't have enough give for me to work without hurting my hands and I don't care for its properties for anything other than dish and wash cloths or towels, but that doesn't mean you can't make clothes and anything else from cotton. You choose your fiber based on what you like and the application of your project. As you learn and gain experience, you'll have your own preferences. I will caution anyone that acrylic melts, so it really isn't appropriate for wearables in any situation where you can come into contact with high heat or open flame (it's going to stick to you instead of turning to ash like natural fibers). For my nieces and nephew I'll make hats from acrylic, but I won't use it for a sweater, scarf, or bed blanket for a child. My husband works on a jet, so anything I make for him to wear needs to be 100% wool.

I'll echo Zaftig on avoiding bobbles and fur, at least while you're still learning the basics. I'd suggest you also avoid boucles (Lion Brand Homespun is an example of this) and very fuzzy yarns while you're starting out; all these yarns can create tension problems, difficult-to-see stitches, and split stitches. Multi-ply yarns, like 3 ply or 4 ply, will be the easiest to work with. You can crochet just about anything--I've twisted strips of plastic bag or fabric, ribbon, and some people crochet wire for jewelry, it's just a matter of your comfort with the material.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Thank you for the answers, I'm not confused anymore.

I don't live in the USA, so the stores you mentioned aren't an option for me. Either that one last local shop, or online. There's a couple left in the city, but I'd have to take an almost day trip just to get to them, so it's not the most practical option. It sucks because I'm all for supporting local business, but I'm not eager to give money to someone who treated me poorly for such a stupid reason.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
My first (attempt at a) mitten is done! I went with a different pattern, but I think I didn't do awful for a first try. I'm probably going to consider this one a test run and make another two, though, because I did mess up a bunch.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I started picking up crochet about a year ago but, since the early part of this year, I haven't practiced it at all until yesterday thanks to cold finally returning. I think I'm okay with my basic stitches, but I haven't done any advanced stuff yet.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with suggestions or clickbait lists for crochet holiday gifts? Basically, I'm trying to think of gifts I can make for family (particularly my mom). Simple things would be fine (I'm open more trying more advanced things), but all of my family lives in South Florida, so easy options like beanie hats and scarves aren't really too useful.

I'm mostly looking for inspiration so any help is appreciated. :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

pseudorandom posted:

I started picking up crochet about a year ago but, since the early part of this year, I haven't practiced it at all until yesterday thanks to cold finally returning. I think I'm okay with my basic stitches, but I haven't done any advanced stuff yet.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with suggestions or clickbait lists for crochet holiday gifts? Basically, I'm trying to think of gifts I can make for family (particularly my mom). Simple things would be fine (I'm open more trying more advanced things), but all of my family lives in South Florida, so easy options like beanie hats and scarves aren't really too useful.

I'm mostly looking for inspiration so any help is appreciated. :)

Amigurumi!

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 1, 2018

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I'm kind of pulling my hair out here. I'm trying to make a beanie. I've tried following multiple different patterns and none seem to be working for me. They're all basically the same formula of a magic circle made up of N (double) crochets, then a round of 2N, etc.

Unfortunately, instead of getting a concave cup-shape they keep on ending up wavy, kind of like a Pringle. My friend who actually crochets a lot has told me that if I continue the pattern it should come together, however the last couple times I've actually continued into rounds ~6-10 it ends up very flat and wide like a beret rather than a beanie.

I tried googling around, since I assume I'm making a newbie mistake but I didn't find anything too specific. The best result I found mentioned actually paying attention to gauge of the pattern which is something I really haven't payed too much attention to. My most recent attempt should be correct; I'm following this pattern, I think my yarn is the called-for #4 yarn (the label has an icon with a "4" in it, so that's my guess), and while I'm pretty sure my hook is 6mm there's a small chance it's 5.5.

This is how it's turned out so far:

My only guess at this point is too much or too little tension, but I'm not experimenting too much with that because I'm not confident in my tension manipulation so I don't want to add another conflating variable. Am I doing anything obviously wrong here?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
It kind of looks like your yarn is too thick for the hook/hook is too small. The only other time I get that is if I’ve misread the pattern and have put too many stitches in a round.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
One thing that I noticed is that it looks like you're going more between the stitches than into the tops of the stitches. So when you make your stitch you're putting your hook just a smidge too low. Whether that could be causing the problem or not it's hard to say though without testing.

I know finding the place that actually counts as the top of the stitch is hard to convey over the internet, but I've illustrated your picture to help

I've highlighted in red the V-shape that the actual top of the stitch makes. When you place your hook, only these two pieces of yarn should be on top of the hook- these two pieces are the front loop and the back loop. (So if you do a pattern that calls for front loop only or back loop only you would choose the highlighted piece that is closest or farthest from you, respectively). Because you're putting your stitches lower, and catching the small piece of yarn that runs between the posts (the tall part of the stitch) you're putting more yarn and therefore more space between the posts of the previous row, which could account for the weird shaping issues. Hopefully this helps.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

I'm kind of pulling my hair out here. I'm trying to make a beanie. I've tried following multiple different patterns and none seem to be working for me. They're all basically the same formula of a magic circle made up of N (double) crochets, then a round of 2N, etc.

Unfortunately, instead of getting a concave cup-shape they keep on ending up wavy, kind of like a Pringle. My friend who actually crochets a lot has told me that if I continue the pattern it should come together, however the last couple times I've actually continued into rounds ~6-10 it ends up very flat and wide like a beret rather than a beanie.

I tried googling around, since I assume I'm making a newbie mistake but I didn't find anything too specific. The best result I found mentioned actually paying attention to gauge of the pattern which is something I really haven't payed too much attention to. My most recent attempt should be correct; I'm following this pattern, I think my yarn is the called-for #4 yarn (the label has an icon with a "4" in it, so that's my guess), and while I'm pretty sure my hook is 6mm there's a small chance it's 5.5.

This is how it's turned out so far:

My only guess at this point is too much or too little tension, but I'm not experimenting too much with that because I'm not confident in my tension manipulation so I don't want to add another conflating variable. Am I doing anything obviously wrong here?

Are you absolutely certain you're following the increase formula correctly? Looking at pic 2, at about 1-2 o'clock in what looks like round 3 (first gray round), it looks like you have a lot of extra stitches. The increase for that round should be either (2 DC in one, 1 DC) or (1 DC, 2 DC in one), but at that point and its opposite point (8-9 o'clock) in the round, it looks like you're doing 2 DC in each stitch. Unless you're keeping a count of every single stitch (don't do this, it's a pain in the rear end), place a removable marker at the start of the round so you know where you are.

The other thing that could be causing it if you're not putting in too many stitches is inconsistency in where you put each new stitch. What Marchegiana described is working into the chain space, which is fine to do (I only work into the chain space on anything taller than SC), but you need to do that consistently. There are patterns which call for some stitches to be worked in the chain space and others into the previous stitches, but they account for the tension funniness that causes.

E: I also think Marchegiana is on to something here. Looking closely at the round where it starts to buckle, it looks like you've put those stitches farther down from just the chain space or they're not as tall as the others. Might they be half-double crochets and not double crochets?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 20, 2018

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Marchegiana posted:

One thing that I noticed is that it looks like you're going more between the stitches than into the tops of the stitches. So when you make your stitch you're putting your hook just a smidge too low. Whether that could be causing the problem or not it's hard to say though without testing.

I know finding the place that actually counts as the top of the stitch is hard to convey over the internet, but I've illustrated your picture to help

I've highlighted in red the V-shape that the actual top of the stitch makes. When you place your hook, only these two pieces of yarn should be on top of the hook- these two pieces are the front loop and the back loop. (So if you do a pattern that calls for front loop only or back loop only you would choose the highlighted piece that is closest or farthest from you, respectively). Because you're putting your stitches lower, and catching the small piece of yarn that runs between the posts (the tall part of the stitch) you're putting more yarn and therefore more space between the posts of the previous row, which could account for the weird shaping issues. Hopefully this helps.

You're right, I've definitely been doing that wrong. Luckily, I know exactly what you mean, because I've been kind of confused which way was correct and was suspecting I may have been doing it wrong. Thanks for helping clarify that.

BonerGhost posted:

The other thing that could be causing it if you're not putting in too many stitches is inconsistency in where you put each new stitch. What Marchegiana described is working into the chain space, which is fine to do (I only work into the chain space on anything taller than SC), but you need to do that consistently. There are patterns which call for some stitches to be worked in the chain space and others into the previous stitches, but they account for the tension funniness that causes.

E: I also think Marchegiana is on to something here. Looking closely at the round where it starts to buckle, it looks like you've put those stitches farther down from just the chain space or they're not as tall as the others. Might they be half-double crochets and not double crochets?

This helps a lot to, both to know that working into the chain space is not always wrong, but also to now have a term for the two. Thanks! But yes, I was definitely working into the chain space here.

BonerGhost posted:

Are you absolutely certain you're following the increase formula correctly? Looking at pic 2, at about 1-2 o'clock in what looks like round 3 (first gray round), it looks like you have a lot of extra stitches. The increase for that round should be either (2 DC in one, 1 DC) or (1 DC, 2 DC in one), but at that point and its opposite point (8-9 o'clock) in the round, it looks like you're doing 2 DC in each stitch. Unless you're keeping a count of every single stitch (don't do this, it's a pain in the rear end), place a removable marker at the start of the round so you know where you are.

In this case, I know I was following correctly because I was counting them. At least, counting the total number of stitches at the end of the round.

I will admit one thing I kind of lied about : I varied from the pattern at the end of each round because I tried mixing in an "invisible seam" technique I found. This might be what you're seeing, since that would be at the 12-1 o'clock position. That piece of aqua yarn is the marker I was using, so that area is where the seam would be.

I did this because the start of each round kept looking weird and inconsistent (in all of my previous round-based attempts, not just this). However, that may be the symptom of working into the chain space, or some other thing I've been doing wrong.

femcastra posted:

It kind of looks like your yarn is too thick for the hook/hook is too small. The only other time I get that is if I’ve misread the pattern and have put too many stitches in a round.

I investigated, and I think I'm either dumb or was really tired last night. The yarn recommends a smaller hook than I was using, so it may actually be the opposite?

I've found a new pattern that should work better with this yarn and a different hook. I'll incorporate what I've learned here and hope it'll come out better.

Thanks for all of the replies! :buddy:

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Does anyone here want/need yarn? My mom died last August and she was a crocheter and yarn hoarder, and now I have all this yarn I am probably never going to use. I’m willing to give it away if whoever wants it pays for shipping.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

Does anyone here want/need yarn? My mom died last August and she was a crocheter and yarn hoarder, and now I have all this yarn I am probably never going to use. I’m willing to give it away if whoever wants it pays for shipping.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

I think you'll find at least several other hoarders in this and the knitting thread; I'll probably take some off your hands. Do you feel like posting a few pics with ball bands visible?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

BonerGhost posted:

Sorry to hear about your mom.

I think you'll find at least several other hoarders in this and the knitting thread; I'll probably take some off your hands. Do you feel like posting a few pics with ball bands visible?

Sure. Let me know if you need any other shots/details. Not all of them have labels, unfortunately.

https://imgur.com/a/PPryGID
https://imgur.com/a/iiIw38E

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

Sure. Let me know if you need any other shots/details. Not all of them have labels, unfortunately.

https://imgur.com/a/PPryGID
https://imgur.com/a/iiIw38E

Thanks for posting. I'll take all the real deal and white Super Saver, I'll shoot you a pm.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Hello, crochet thread! I'm usually a knitter, but I can do some fairly basic crochet. I watched Solaris last night and am filled with an inexplicable need to make Hari's shawl/cape as a blanket:

More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/0cLbbmn

I'm somewhat at a loss of understanding the construction of this piece. At first I thought it might be a very large shell stitch, but it doesn't really appear to be that? Would this be made in vertical strips and then sewn together? Help me out?
I couldn't find anything about recreating this on Ravelry :(

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Looks like several double crochets in one stitch, then chain 2 along one row, then the next row is the same number of double crochet as a decrease (x dc tog) - 1 stitch. I did something similar in this pattern:

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/star-shell-afghan

Maybe follow that pattern but allow an additional 2 chain per motif in your foundation chain so that you can separate each? I tried looking up ‘star shell’ on Ravelry but couldn’t find anything else.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Ooh, thank you! I'll give this a shot this weekend and post results! :D

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
My dad loves flamingoes so I made him one. I reminded myself of why i hate amigurumi. so bad at seaming and embroidery. but still very cute :)

Pattern is "chloe the flamingo" by Irene Strange

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

stimulated emission posted:

My dad loves flamingoes so I made him one. I reminded myself of why i hate amigurumi. so bad at seaming and embroidery. but still very cute :)

Pattern is "chloe the flamingo" by Irene Strange

Holy gently caress that's intimidatingly good. I've only tried amigurumi once and just managed to make a mediocre jelly fish, which is a really simple pattern. That looks great!

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Attempting to crochet a lace scarf. It's definitely going better than my previous attempts at using lace, but no matter how slow and careful I go, I keep losing stitches at about every row and it's driving me crazy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't do knitting or crochet but I'm trying to find patterns for my fiancee who does. Is there a specific name for those kinds of interactive mystery pattern things like the yarn quest rpgs? I tried looking them up to see if there were any rpg quest crochet patterns but all I could really find were the knitting yarn quest stuff and I'm not really sure what I should even be looking for or if what I'm looking for even exists for crochet.

April
Jul 3, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't do knitting or crochet but I'm trying to find patterns for my fiancee who does. Is there a specific name for those kinds of interactive mystery pattern things like the yarn quest rpgs? I tried looking them up to see if there were any rpg quest crochet patterns but all I could really find were the knitting yarn quest stuff and I'm not really sure what I should even be looking for or if what I'm looking for even exists for crochet.

I think you're looking for crochet alongs, or CAL's for short. Try looking for "mystery CAL" if you want the ones where patterns are released a bit at a time, without revealing what the final project looks like till the end. Good luck!!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Random question that’s tangentially related to crochet: does anyone here do hook rugs?

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

DreamingofRoses posted:

Random question that’s tangentially related to crochet: does anyone here do hook rugs?

I used to ages ago and loved it. I kind of want to get back into it

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Bump! Does anyone else subscribe to Happily Hooked Magazine? I did the one year but am trying to decide if I want to do lifetime. Does anyone know how much it cost?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Crochet thread! My wife has spent this year getting really into crochet and our girls have spent this year stealing and hiding her hooks.

She said for Christmas she wants "a nice no. 5" but that's probably like, $3. I'd like to get maybe a nice versatile set with a case or box or something.

I come from woodworking, where there is a very noticeable line between good and bad gear. So is there, like, a "cadillac" brand in this hobby? Or is $3 as good as it gets? Thank you!

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

A lot depends on her style of crocheting and how she holds the hook, but I know for me I've been pretty happy with the Boye Ergo-Hooks for the past 5 years. I've never really bothered investing a ton of money in hooks because I loose them so easily (as it sounds like your wife has also encountered).

If you're a woodworker looking for a good gift (homemade or otherwise), you might want to look into a yarn bowl. It's probably my favorite crocheting tool - it keeps your yarn nice an tidy and also looks a lot nicer than a pile of yarn on the couch or coffee table or what have you. My step dad made me one for Christmas several years ago and I cherish it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bingo Bango posted:

A lot depends on her style of crocheting and how she holds the hook, but I know for me I've been pretty happy with the Boye Ergo-Hooks for the past 5 years. I've never really bothered investing a ton of money in hooks because I loose them so easily (as it sounds like your wife has also encountered).

If you're a woodworker looking for a good gift (homemade or otherwise), you might want to look into a yarn bowl. It's probably my favorite crocheting tool - it keeps your yarn nice an tidy and also looks a lot nicer than a pile of yarn on the couch or coffee table or what have you. My step dad made me one for Christmas several years ago and I cherish it.

I've never seen a yarn bowl before, but that's a really great idea, thank you!

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I should probably note that there are two distinct styles of crochet hooks, inline hooks and tapered hooks. And people who know there are different hooks tend to have strong feelings on which they prefer.

That being said I used tapered hooks and my favorite "luxury" hook is the Clover Amour. I got one as a freebie for a thing I did years ago and later on ended up buying the whole set with the carry case. The case I got is some godawful neon yellow color so that's definitely contributed to my not having lost it for all these years

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Huxley posted:

I've never seen a yarn bowl before, but that's a really great idea, thank you!

Definitely do this. My spouse's yarn bowl is among her favorite possessions.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Marchegiana posted:

I should probably note that there are two distinct styles of crochet hooks, inline hooks and tapered hooks. And people who know there are different hooks tend to have strong feelings on which they prefer.

That being said I used tapered hooks and my favorite "luxury" hook is the Clover Amour. I got one as a freebie for a thing I did years ago and later on ended up buying the whole set with the carry case. The case I got is some godawful neon yellow color so that's definitely contributed to my not having lost it for all these years

YES YES YES. Clover Amour hooks have been a game-changer for me. That said, a lot depends on how she holds the hook too. Some hooks, like Clover Amour are better for pencil-grippers, and some like Furls Alpha are better for knife-grippers. If I were you, I would look into the two grip types, watch her work for a bit & see which she is before you invest a lot into the wrong kind of hook (it's pretty obvious when you look them up to see the difference, don't panic). Then check reviews that specifically mention grip. For me, personally, the Furls hooks I mentioned above are gorgeous, but I would HATE using them because of how I hold my hook.

And you can get some amazing yarn bowls in a ton of different materials, and they are super useful.

Good luck to you, and I'm happy to answer any other questions (hooker for 35 years).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love SA, because nearly every thread like this, if you come in with a genuine question there's people willing and happy to answer. Thank you all!

The hooks keep disappearing because our 8/6 year olds want to join in the fun but are still learning to put things back where they go. Hopefully having some kind of storage will help remind them.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Marchegiana posted:

I've been crocheting my whole life and never knew about this distinction. Now I need to think about which I prefer...

Steric Hindrance
Sep 29, 2018

Huxley posted:

Crochet thread! My wife has spent this year getting really into crochet and our girls have spent this year stealing and hiding her hooks.

She said for Christmas she wants "a nice no. 5" but that's probably like, $3. I'd like to get maybe a nice versatile set with a case or box or something.

I come from woodworking, where there is a very noticeable line between good and bad gear. So is there, like, a "cadillac" brand in this hobby? Or is $3 as good as it gets? Thank you!

Make sure you know which sizing standard she has in mind when referring to "a no. 5". Like in other things, the US and UK have different sizing from each other when it comes to crochet hooks, which can lead to confusion.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Steric Hindrance posted:

Make sure you know which sizing standard she has in mind when referring to "a no. 5". Like in other things, the US and UK have different sizing from each other when it comes to crochet hooks, which can lead to confusion.

Seconding this. I go by the actual size (ie, 4.5 mm) instead of a number or letter that can vary between countries of origin or even manufacturer.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Thank you all for introducing me to a yarn bowl. Holy moly I want one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Speaking of spousal gift help, my lovey dove is a lifelong crocheter (she made me a friendship bracelet when we were 10). We usually do a surprise Christmas gift and an "I found this neat thing related to your hobby; do you want it?" gift, and I think a tryhard crochet hook would be nice for the latter. I've only seen her use hooks that I (a non-crocheter) would describe as "really cheap and lovely-looking." I've heard her say on many occasions that her hands need a break from holding them.

She is a knife-gripper and uses inline hooks (she has very mean thoughts about tapered hooks). I saw the Furls noted above; any other brands/products anybody would recommend that we look over together?