Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

shark farts posted:

Kind of a repost, made another Valentine's kitty and fixed up the pink one I already posted a photo of. They're all finished and boxed up to send to my admiree :)

I made sure to write down the pattern and tried to improve it as I worked, if anyone would be interested in the pattern (it might be a little confusing at parts due to my lack of know-how but it's not too hard) just let me know. I'd love to see what other people's look like!

Are you still giving out the pattern? I'd love to see it :> I get PMs and I can give you something in return if you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Shnooks on ravelry. I don't go around the forums too much because nothing is terribly active or interesting

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I've been trying to make this DROPS pattern but it keeps coming out really strange.

I did it twice so far on size H hook with Lion Brand Cotton Ease, and it came out small enough to fit a baby. Then I tried it again on a size J hook and it's only a slight improvement. By round 10 there's no way it would even fit on my foot.

I have no clue what's going on. At first I was doing all double crochets, but it says its in british crochet terms? So I started doing single crochets and nothing changed.

Any ideas? I hear DROPS patterns blow so maybe I should give it up.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Devi posted:

Have you done a gauge swatch? If not, do one and see how yours compares to what the pattern gives (14 dc x 20 rounds = 10 x 10 cm).

I measured what I had but I guess I'll have to sit down and do that tonight. I usually do them for knitting, but I'm not a huge crocheter.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Ok, so I started crocheting my gauge swatch...maybe I did it wrong again, now that I look at it...

I crocheted it flat and chained 14 stitches. So far I've done 10 rows of 14sts and it's only 2.5"Hx2.5"W on a size J needle. Assuming I kept going with 10 more rows, it'd be 2.5"Hx4"W.

How the hell do you fix a problem like that?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

pepsigloworm posted:

I am no where near an expert at this, but I tried to figure out what may be going on with that pattern. I picked up my J hook and made a chain of 14, and did just one row to see how long it would be - Mine came out to about 3.5inches long, or 10CM as the pattern is metric. Did you forget to convert to metric? Loosen your tension a little bit maybe to make it about one inch longer?

Edit: Oh, I see, you're already getting a perfect square and you're only half done. Do you do your chain tight, but your stitches loose maybe? Still doing Single Crochet, right?

I blame everything on the pattern originally being written in Norwegian. :colbert:

It's really likely that I'm crocheting too tight. I knit very tight, and I've noticed when I make amigurumi I try to make it as tight as possible. I took a picture for someone else of what I've done so far...

So, on the left is dc in the pattern on an H hook. Right is sc for the gauge swatch on a J hook. I frogged the piece I did in sc on size J hook in the pattern, oops.

Edit: Sorry for my crappy stitches :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

pepsigloworm posted:

Just from me looking at your picture compared to the one row I have sitting here, you did that super-tight! My chain isn't even terribly loose, and I'm one whole inch bigger than your gauge. Does your yarn make that awful "squeeeeek" when you're moving it on your hook? Ugh, I hate that noise if I'm doing something in tight stitches.

So anyways, could your super-tight stitches be the whole problem?

I got some help from someone on IRC and we think its a mix of tight stitches and lovely pattern.

So, besides loosening up a bit, I've decided to remove rows 5-7 on the foot section and increase it till it fits on my foot basically and see what happens from there.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So uh, that crochet pattern I needed help on? I think I made one of the ugliest things in the world. They're half finished but goddamn.

They looked a lot nicer in the picture :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

I think they look really comfy. A little loose at the toes, but maybe trying them on as you work next time would let you adjust to fit your foot? I'm scared to make anything sock-like, so you have balls. They're really not so bad, just need a bit of shaping on the end! The yarn looks nice, too.

I did try them on as I worked at it, no loving clue what happened, but I'm not frogging it now :mad:

Edit: I was really surprised at how much easier it is to make socks crocheting. It's basically crocheting in the round and then switching flat halfway through and seaming the backs together. It's fantastic compared to knitting.