Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C Weevil Fitzgerald
Jul 17, 2007

This is awful. I am inventing electricity and you look like an asshole. You look like a fucking idiot.
Wow, I've been waiting for a crochet thread! Crocheting has been one of my passions since I was probably 11. Oddly, I love making baby sweaters, even though I'm really young. I have a huge arsenal of baby pattern books, I just really like the feel of baby yarn and using odd colors for baby clothes (I made an eggplant purple sweater once with a black trim for example.) Also and probably most importantly, baby clothes are tiny and so crochet up fast.

One of my favorite things to do besides that though is making custom stuffed animals though. I really like just making up my own patterns for things. I made my boyfriend a Malayan Tapir for his birthday last year and I have since been trying to get him to photograph it for threads just like this. I saw someone mention Etsy, I was wondering if any of you guys have had success with it selling things. I always have baby clothes to unload because I don't have a drat baby but crochet baby clothes and I can never find a way to sell it. And I wanted to sell my stuffed animals on there too.

I love that anglerfish a few posts back too, that is so awesome. I thought about making one once and putting an LED in it but I just never got to it. :(. I really want to see that anteater if you make it Smam, I think that would be awesome. I'm going to make a Kinkajou this week I think. It'd be cool if we could start a crochet trading thing or something, for example Windy, I would gladly trade you a stuffed animal (you name it, I'm sure I could make it) for a pair of those gloves. I know they'd be easy as poo poo to make myself, but I think it'd be cool to do something like that.

Sorry for my hyper post, I'm really excited there is a crochet thread. And coming soon, I'll post a photo of that tapir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C Weevil Fitzgerald
Jul 17, 2007

This is awful. I am inventing electricity and you look like an asshole. You look like a fucking idiot.

Xoobee posted:

I am using a size 6 needle & doing single stitch. I don't know what you mean about the turning chain...

Good ideas, all. I got some thicker yarn, perused the links mentioned in the thread, videos...and finally got the hang of it. :D
I've decided I'm making a scarf. :P The tension is still a bit irregular but no more enormous holes. I managed to also attach another color, tho it looks a mite wierd at the beginning.
After I've gone on for a bit longer, I'll try something new. What's next...double stitch?

Advice for when you start following patterns, always always count your stitches to make sure they match how many it says you should have at the end of the row or rnd. If you are working in the round, always mark the first stitch of the round or you're hosed. You may not think it's important when you are a novice, but seriously, if it's an article of clothing ALWAYS check your gauge!

My aunt still ignores this advice and complains to me every time her clothes come out weird. Gauges are so that you can use different thicknesses of yarns than the pattern suggests, helps you adjust your own specific way of crocheting (tight or loose) so that it still matches the size of the pattern's author, and if you are working off a pattern that tells you to keep going until the piece is this many inches long it keeps your clothes proportionate.