Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
Does anyone know where I can find a free pattern for an amigurumi skunk? I ransacked google for one, but they're drat near nonexistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

My advice would be to find something similar (a squirrel is probably your best bet) and then just rearrange the colours. It all depends how cartoony/accurate you want it to be.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. :downs:

Edit: For those of you making amigurumi stuff, where do you get the 5mm plastic eyes? The only ones I've found at local craft stores are 9mm and higher. I'm outside of Chicago, if that helps. I've been looking online hoping I could get a deal buying in bulk but I've had no luck.

Isis Q. Dylan fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 1, 2009

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

^^^Thank you for that link. I spent more money than I should've on those. Everyone I know is getting amigurumi for christmas.

I ended up getting a decent skunk pattern. It's this one. At first I was pissed that it was sold out. I couldn't think of a decent reason a PDF file would be sold out. Then I contacted the seller and she told me that Leisure Arts had snatched up a bunch of her patterns for a book due out early next year. Since she's great and awesome and worthy of a million shout outs, she said that while she couldn't legally sell it to me, she could give it to me if I bought another pattern. I can't say she can give everyone such great deals but I love most of her stuff.

And because everyone loves pictures (and jaunty octupi):

These are the ones I've recently finished. Up next is Zoidberg! I'm wary of trying to make him because I'm going to wing it and adapt a Cthulhu pattern I've got.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I'd share the goldfish pattern, but I don't want to start a world of crap after the lady was so nice. It's really easy to make though. I bet if you used a bigger hook and thicker yarn you could make it as big as you want.

The Cthulhu pattern is from Creepy Cute. In fact, I probably heard about Creepy Cute Crochet from this thread, now that I think about it. I googled Zoidberg Amigurumi and someone already had the Zoidberg/Cthulhu idea.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

If it helps at all, the top fin is a triangle, and the back fin is an oval folded in half.

After my rush of cristmas things to crochet I'm definitely making one of those brain slugs. :3:

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Paper Lantern posted:

That is so :3:

I got a subscription to Crochet Today for Christmas. They had a pattern for heart coasters in there. I decided to sew 2 together, stuff it, and put a face on it. This is the result:

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Embroider it on? cut it from felt and sew it on? give him button eyes?

Edit, i wish i had a pattern for him. He's awesome!

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I usually get yarn at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I'm wondering if it's worth it to just get a bunch online? What are some good sites to get decently priced yarn?

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

NancyPants posted:

Has the woman who made it made it available for purchase or anything? I'm sure I could figure it out if I tried, but that comes back to that whole thinkin' problem (I don't want to).

You can purchase the pattern from her Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_2&listing_id=40004560

I think $3 is totally worth it for the pattern. It's really easy and the goldfish comes out super cute with minimal effort.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I Love This Yarn is really great as far as cheap acrylics go. It feels like much more expensive yarn and it doesn't do that annoying unraveling thing as you work with it. The strands stay pretty much intact. They also have a ton of colors.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

That heart has a :iamafag: mouth. It's pretty much awesome.

Does anyone here have any experience with putting magnets in crocheted toys? I'm wondering if I can get normal magnets or if I'll have to get stronger magnets because they'll have to attract through yarn.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

hello fence posted:

made a couple of these based on a free pattern I found for valentines! both came out a little lopsided, I always miscount somewhere ugh

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

and I'd be interested in the kitty pattern as well, hope you don't mind another email!

Where is the pattern for these?

Also, your avatar inspired me to post this:

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

I kind of made him up as I went along. I used the wrong size eyes and now he sort of looks like Howard and Old Gregg's lovechild.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Does anyone have any ideas about where/what kind of magnets I should get if I'm going to make animals that hold hands/kiss? Someone told me to just get cheap alphabet refrigerator magnets and just pop the magnets out the back, but they've got to sell small, durable, strong magnets at thrift stores, right?

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, I meant to write craft stores, not thrift stores. :downs:

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

are requests for the pattern still ok? It looks so adorable!

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Sweet As Sin posted:

I made an iguana for my boyfriend. I'll post pictures later, when it is assembled and presentable.

Excited for this. Can you post the pattern too?

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Sweet As Sin posted:

Click here for the full 1000x520 image.

It wasn't difficult to make.

this is beyond amazing. even if you cant remember the entire pattern I could probably figure it out if you kind of talked me through it. It looks so good! I'd even pay you for the pattern.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

So do any of you guys have crochet blogs where you post patterns or do you have a favorite free pattern crochet blog? I'm on ravelry, so there's a definite overflow of patterns on there, I'm just wondering if I'm the only dork on here with a crochet blog.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

pepsigloworm posted:

I have a regular blog that I include all of my crochet projects in, and give out patterns by request since none of my family or friends who read it are interested in making it. They just looking at what crazy thing I made last...

I'd link to mine, but it's really bare bones at the moment. There's just a few patterns on there, and a bunch of me raving about new books I've got. What's yours?

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

To remedy the not having PMs, here's mine: http://armyofowls.blogspot.com/

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks Ma_Nic! I have some family that follow the picture blog of my son who can crochet and love to, but don't know how to read patterns. Plus, there's plenty of times I'm following a pattern (and I consider myself at an advanced beginner/intermediate level) and I'm completely lost. There have been so many times I've wished there was a picture for every step. When I can remember, I try to post the patterns I'm working on in step by step pictures. It makes life so much easier.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Live, thread! LIIIIVVVE!

Click here for the full 478x719 image.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Is anyone here on Ravelry? My username is FistfulOfRobots and we should totally be ravelry friends.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Ok, so I'm a nerd:

I just realized the color of it's head matches my computer chair. :doh:

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

solana posted:

Right now I'm working on the Star Blanket on Isis' blog in an attempt to get rid of some yarn I bought on an impulse last year.

:neckbeard: I love that pattern! Post pictures when you're done.

I keep meaning to post the Old Gregg pattern but I've been busy. I'm also working on a TARDIS, which I'm pretty excited about. I'm hoping I can just make a blue 3-D rectangle and some creative stitching and get away with something really cute. Of course, that translates to "I'm going to nitpick until it's perfect" :( oh man I hate embroidery.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

If you've cross stitched before, it should be relatively easy to embroider on single crochet. I don't know if seeing a picture on a graph would help, but you could see how many stitches you have to work with and just graph out what you need to embroider. Like 1 square = 1 single crochet. I don't know if I'm making any sense to anyone but me.

Edit: Try it out! if It doesn't work out how you want it, cut some eyes out of felt! (or any black fabric)

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I never thought to get blush. I've seen people color on the cheeks with pink marker or cut out circles of pink felt. The blush is so easy and gets much better results.

Edit because I *FINALLY* finished it:

Edit again, because I don't want to triple post:
Shark farts! I'm making a cat from your pattern! Once I'm done I'll post it on my blog and direct folks to where they can buy it. :D

Isis Q. Dylan fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 9, 2010

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Kitty is finished! I think his name should be Sir Michael Carmichael Zutt.

I didn't see instructions for the tail in the pattern so I sort of winged it and made a tube with 4 single crochet in a magic ring and then just crocheting around until I got it the length I wanted. It was hard because the stitches were so close but it turned out pretty cute. The pattern was really easy to follow, and even the part I was most afraid of (the legs becoming the body) wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be. I voted that pattern 5 and went hog wild.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Here I come to save your day, sharkfarts:

http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/2009/09/wing-tutorial-for-tiny-cthulhu.html

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

The yarn does seem nicer at Hobby Lobby more often than not. I've made the switch pretty much entirely to their "I Love This Yarn" brand. It's a little bit more expensive than Red Heart but it's worth it.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Hobby Lobby is like a huge Joanns. They're a little less pricey. Lion Brand is definitely great yarn to work with. It's one of the more affordable, mainsteam, "nice" yarns. I made the mistake of going into a yarn store the other day and I saw exactly how I'm going to go into financial ruin. :D

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I would just use Red Heart worsted weight. What size hook are you using? If you use anything smaller than a K hook it tends to make the blanket start to bunch up. I've also used Cotton yarn, but the blanket seems pretty adaptable to any kind of yarn. What problems are you running into? It looks good.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Youtube is our friend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzLvkvDpxU4

Not only to show you how to do it, but to save me from trying to type out an explanation of it.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

You're welcome. Youtube has been invaluable in regards to learning crochet techniques. I even learned stuff from that video about color switching. I'm usually so bad at it. Now I can make this skull blanket:

http://www.domiknitrix.com/knittingpatterns/skull.pdf

The person who showed it to me crocheted one and I guess the person who made the pattern said it would work out to 4 sc (or dc? I can't remember) per block.

Also, I wouldn't have believed it, but shrugs are essentially rectangles you sew together at the ends. You just have to make it wide enough to go around your arms and long enough to go across your back and however long you want the sleeves. I have a big rear end book of crochet stitches and I'm going to just make a million now. I finished one for my friend's daughter in under 2 hours. It'd probably be less time but I have a 20 month old who likes to get into everything.

sharkfarts! where should I tell people to buy your pattern? Can I tell them to just email you?

Would anyone be interested in a SA crochet ravelry group?

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I used 2 strands held together unless I used a K hook. It works if you only use one strand but it makes a lighter, almost lacier blanket.

Edit: what should the ravelry group be named?

Isis Q. Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 18, 2010

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I absolutely love that dragon. I hope you took pictures of it as you went so you can sell that one too. You're really good at coming up with patterns. I'm still working on that part. That pig is awesome too.

Has anyone made and actually used a crochet washcloth? I have a bunch of new pattern books so I want to try and make some. What yarn is best for it? Cotton? I'm assuming that would shrink really bad in the wash/dryer. Wool seems like it'd leave strands of fuzz everywhere if it got wet.

If someone wants to make an image for the Ravelry group I'd be grateful. It has to be either 100 x 60 (Badge) or 468x 60 (Banner)

Once I have a good one or can come up with a witty description I'll make the group.

Isis Q. Dylan fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 20, 2010

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I love it! I've always wanted to make a ripple blanket but I have a really intense case of crochet ADD.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

shark farts posted:

That's so pretty! I've been meaning to learn how to do chevrons/wavy chevrons but I haven't gotten to it yet. Now I want to make a blanket.

Also, my pattern is finished and finally for sale on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/47838661/standing-kitty-crochet-pattern Thanks so much to the buttload of people who asked for the pattern and tried it out, you were a huge help!

Now I'm interested to see the 26 in-progress pictures you took. You should make a gif. :D You should also sell the pattern for that pig. It's too cute. (And the dragon, and just about anything else you probably make)

Moms Stuffing, that bra is ridiculous. :(

Isis Q. Dylan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 22, 2010

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

What you guys didn't like the pictures of me in my awesome bra??? :haw:

Sharkfarts, I think animated gifs are welcome anytime, especially when they make me giggle. Also there aren't enough crochet gifs out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

What if we don't have PMs? I posted mine on here, so add away if you'd like. I made that hookers group, but I suck at image stuff, so it doesn't have a banner or anything. Anyone's welcome to make one.

sharkfarts, are you going to sell the pattern for that dragon or for that pig? I bet they'd be big sellers too. They're so ridiculously adorable. I hope you never stop making little animals.