Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I taught myself to crochet this year after longing after it for ages (everyone in my family is a knitter). I'm very greedy on the textiles front, I want to be able to do it ALL and do it NOOOWWWW!!!!

Anyway, long story short, I made up this checkerboard square as an alternative to a granny square. It's good for people who don't like working in the round. It looks fugly in the pictures because I only have crap yarn here, I'll change the pics when I get round to making a rainbow square!

http://www.wikihow.com/Crochet-a-Checkerboard-Square

If you're from the US, just change treble to double and double to single.

I haven't made any REAL things from commercial patterns yet, I'm a bit scared of doing that. If I come across something in a kniting pattern I don't understand, I've got mum to help me, but there's no one on the crochet front so I'm worried about ploughing money and time into a project that will never get finished.

I'm hoping to do a massive zig zag blanket this year, following a baby pattern that uses a 4mm hook and baby wool from the book I learnt out of, but making it in Lambs Pride Bulky with a 7.5mm instead. Is this a good idea? Will it make an adult size blanket?

^^^^^Nevermind. I just worked out to buy all the colours I want from the only UK based site that stocks it (estimating 2 skeins per colour needed for the blanket) it's going to cost over £100 to make... I can't justify spending that much on wool.

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
That anglerfish is AWESOME! I love it when people make the not so cute animals.

Now someone do a giant anteater, please? They're my favourite animals...

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
If you do the anteater, I would so buy it off you. I just can't get my head around making animals out of yarn, I have to do it with fabric instead.

Has anyone got a favourite lace pattern that's ideal for crochet novices? I keep finding pretty lacy patterns that just look crazy difficult, but I'd like to start to make something other than flat boring trebles.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Smam posted:

If you're serious about wanting a giant anteater, PM me cause I really love doing stuff like that and I have NO idea what I'd charge for one!

Yep, I'm serious. I've just upgraded to Platinum account today, but it keeps saying I have to turn on the Private Messages in my profile and I don't know how to do it...

As for the anteater, I'm thinking he could be about 20-30cm long with his tongue sticking out? Pricing would depend on where you live, but I can't really pay more than £20 (about $30 USD). Can you make him out of acrylic so it would be machine washable, or is that a bad idea (I don't know much about washing handmade toys)?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I just made my first amigurumi animal- a bee I made up as I went along! I gave him a grumpy face so he's a grumblebee.

Dammit, I need to go pick up my upload cable from the ex's house so I can upload all my cool crap.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Now that's a psychedelic parrot. What did you use for the beak though? It looks like it's fraying.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

discordiaskitten posted:

But I don't have any decent yarn shops for miles. Even the good shop back home which has been there since I was tiny doesn't stock a lot of the more "designer" stuff, only your standard Rowan/Sirdar/Patons which are the average sort of thing for knitting over here. It isn't a much better range than my local Hobbycraft

Yeah, our LYS is a bit of a joke in terms of choice, but at least the bloke who runs it is fairly helpful if you shop there often. He only seems to sell acrylic or crochet cotton though, there is very little else in the way of choice except for novelty yarns like eyelash etc.(he also doesn't sell patterns, which is very odd). When I needed Lambs Pride bulky for a poncho in Stich N Bitch, I used the internet to buy.

Hobbycraft is terrible for knitting; I found it so overpriced. We also have Creative World which seems to believe art and crafts consists of paint by numbers, cardmaking, how to draw books and 2 balls of yarn.

I have, however, occasionally been about to find yarn at the 99p store- small 50 gram balls of novelty stuff or just some plain acrylic dk. Acrylic DK at my LYS is about £1.50 a ball, but even saving 50p a ball is good! Other places to check are Indian shops- you know the ones that sell really junky homewares, wooden spoons, ugly furnishings, washing baskets and cutlery? Ones in my town quite often have DK yarn in them for a bit cheaper than the LYS. It's excellent for practising, or using for amigurumi.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Ah, well, you see, if it's discontinued they know they can charge as much as they want because the crafters are getting desperate.

Speaking of discontinued, I really hope I bought enough Elle Chunky for my crochet masterpiece- giant rainbow blanket! I'm annoyed as hell that they've stopped making that stuff, it was good for toys. I'm also pissed that a lot of companies don't make basic colours any more- you can get 20 shades of brown, but good luck finding the basic seven in the spectrum.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Bunny made for Skels (in the Snail Mail thread). She send me a handmade bead animal, so I sent her back my second ever amigurumi animal! The tag says "Hello, I am a bunny, please give me a home and a name".

And this is Hermie, the Hermit Crab. I didn't have any pink or red, so he's cream like those freaky crabs that live in the bottom of the ocean. He actually started out as a mermaid's tail, but I converted it into a hermit crab instead. Lots of my projects evolve as they go along; I started a bunny yesterday that turned into an owl.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
ARGH for some crazy reason I decided that as I can make a 3 inch hermit crab I can make a huge bedcover/hippy rug.
I'm just over halfway through right now, using Elle Chunky (discontinued 100% acrylic) and a 6.00mm hook. To give you an idea of time spent so far, each row takes about half an hour, there's 14 rows in a rainbow repeat, so it's about 7 hours per repeat- 3 repeats there plus the 4 extra rows means I'm on about 24hours so far. Obviously not a one crocheting marathon.

Aerial view!

macro for artyfartiness

Had anyone else attempted a really large project? I'm struggling for motivation right now despite the incredibly simple zigzag pattern.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ragnar Danneskjold posted:

Sometime today I am going to go down to the fabric start and get some yarn and a hook, so I can start to each myself how to crochet! I have always found it to be interesting, but just never got around to doing it, but I figure now is a good time to start! (Even though my sister gave me massive amounts of poo poo for wanting to learn how, apparently in her world guys can't crochet.)

Screw your sister and get started! I personally would go weak at the knees for a man who could hand me a warm blanket/adorable amigurumi toy and then proudly proclaim "YEAH I MADE THIS".

There is one thing in crochet I just haven't gotten the hang of yet though: How do I store it without the hook slipping out and it all coming undone? Currently I just make a load of extra sacrificial chain before I put it away, in the hope that I will be able to catch my loop before it reaches actual work.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ragnar Danneskjold posted:

Can anyone give me some advice on sizing things? I made a beanie from the following pattern:

http://crochet-mania.blogspot.com/2008/01/beanie.html

It came out, but it's crazy small! I know it says you can add another chain to make it bigger, but is there a good way to gauge HOW much bigger it will make it? Going off that pattern, this beanie is like child sized, and I am pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong while crocheting it together!

Really easy way to resize anything- use fatter yarn and larger hook. This does take some guesswork though :/

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Can I get a difficulty rating please? A friend of mine asked me to "knit" him this Cthulu balaclava. However, it is CLEARLY crocheted (it says so on the link). I know jack poo poo about following a crochet pattern and usually make it all up as I go along, which may be in my favour as THERE IS NO PATTERN.

http://archmage.livejournal.com/2062431.html

Ninja edit... ooh, someone on Ravelry is selling a pattern for a knitted one instead. Decisions, decisions...

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

discordiaskitten posted:

It looks fairly straightforward to me; the hat part will be simple increasing and then rows straight down with a gap across the middle. I've done that for amigurumi before. The tentacles look like just tubes filled with toy stuffing, decreasing towards the end? I'm not sure how you'd do the eyebrows but I'd presume all these things are just sewn on to the balaclava at the end.

Speaking of amigurumi, please meet Emperor Ming, which I made for a swap recently:

If you're familiar with Flash Gordon you may spot this is Ming's wedding outfit. 300+ beads. Argh.

Discordiaskitten used "cute thing"!
It's super effective!
Madlilnerd was paralyzed!

That is beyond the "squeal" stage of adorable and out the other side. I love love love him. How big is he? I'm guessing those beads are about 5mm long.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Does anyone know where I can find a free pattern for an amigurumi skunk? I ransacked google for one, but they're drat near nonexistent.

My advice would be to find something similar (a squirrel is probably your best bet) and then just rearrange the colours. It all depends how cartoony/accurate you want it to be.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. :downs:

Edit: For those of you making amigurumi stuff, where do you get the 5mm plastic eyes? The only ones I've found at local craft stores are 9mm and higher. I'm outside of Chicago, if that helps. I've been looking online hoping I could get a deal buying in bulk but I've had no luck.

The supply section of Etsy and Ebay shops are good places to look. You can quite often get interesting eyes too, like "zombie" ones with red pupils. Etsy's supply section has loads of eyes, anything from 3mm to 12mm.

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=supplies&search_query=amigurumi+eyes

Enjoy!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

^^^Thank you for that link. I spent more money than I should've on those. Everyone I know is getting amigurumi for christmas.
And because everyone loves pictures (and jaunty octupi):

These are the ones I've recently finished. Up next is Zoidberg! I'm wary of trying to make him because I'm going to wing it and adapt a Cthulhu pattern I've got.

No probs. I really want your goldfish, but in giant. Like 50cm long.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I'd share the goldfish pattern, but I don't want to start a world of crap after the lady was so nice. It's really easy to make though. I bet if you used a bigger hook and thicker yarn you could make it as big as you want.

It wouldn't be any use to me because I'm terrible at understanding crochet patterns, especially amigurumi. But thanks anyway. I'll just get some chunky orange and make it up as I go along.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Fruitbat posted:

Ah I'm really struggling with this, I did a little french knitting in school 16+ years ago and spotted the thread after failing to click The Dorkroom. I have decided to make a cosy for my cafetiere (french press type coffe maker).

I can make a chain but when it comes to making a second row it all gets in a mess. ive watched a few youtube vids but none seem that clear and I just get a huge knot and have to start again Grrrrrr. Im using acrylic double knit and a UK 5.5mm hook if that helps.

5.5mm is too big for DK. Use a 4mm instead and you'll get much better results.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

who cares posted:

I have some downtime tomorrow at work and want to bring my crocheting with me. Does anyone have any tips on how to transport it without the stitches unraveling? I know this is a dumb question, but I'm new and have never crocheted outside of the living room.

Safety pins are your friends! At a pinch you can use a pin badge/button though.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

ahleeshaa posted:

Blanket update! I love how it's coming along. The colors aren't so dark in real life, but eh, that's what you get with a camera phone.

This is the first big project I've ever done, and I think it's coming along all right. It gets harder and harder to work with the bigger it gets, though! It's so heavy that it pulls down while I'm working - it's made my stitches a bit looser. I like it so far, though :)

How big are you making yours? I made a rainbow one last year that was about 1.5m long and 1m wide, just the right size to lay down the length of my single bed. I can't remember the exact number of stitches but each row took 20-30mins, so each rainbow repeat took just under 7 hours. So much work went into it that I couldn't bear to part with it and ended up making a quilt for the person I was going to give it to instead!

To avoid the stitches getting pulled at, you just have to keep it all bundled up on your lap (or on the bed/sofa you're sitting on), I guess. My favourite thing about making it was how warm it kept my lap as I worked on it. Also I cheated and used chunky acrylic and a 6mm hook.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

PoopieBritches posted:

So, My brother is going away to college in September. I was going to make him a blanket that he can take with him.

I guess I'm trying to find a blanket pattern that won't come off as girly.. I can already picture him throwing it back in my face.

Any suggestions would be helpful. :)

Make a chevron blanket using increases and decreases to make zig-zags. Depending on colours, it can suit anyone. Plus it has angles. Men love angles, right?!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

popgenie posted:

My brother thinks my new hobby is laughable and emasculating, and my mom is glad to have someone to go to the craft store with. Doesn't matter much to me. My desk will soon be filled with geeky amigurumi bling and I can say I made every piece!

Pfft. Just remind him that they used to give crochet to prisoners in Alcatraz to keep their evil hands busy.

I'm making an ami robot at the moment but I can't decide how to make his antenna. I want it to stick up but I'd rather not put wire in it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

popgenie posted:

Check the Katamari Prince pattern found at: http://nerdigurumi.com/2010/01/katamari-damacy-katamari-prince.html

The pattern uses a half-strand of worsted and a small diameter hook to produce smaller, tighter stitches that are less flexible and stand up well. See if that is like what you want.

Wow, that's pretty much exactly what I wanted, except I'll be putting a bead on top instead of a crocheted ball. Thanks!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
That is amazing! When I saw the top picture I wondered why the hell you were posting a plastic toy unicorn in the crochet thread. I love how the shape of the hind legs especially.

How is the mane fixed on?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Sweet As Sin posted:

OMG she's so purdy

STOP IT STOP IT :( I want her so much now. I missed out on being a girly girl when I was younger (very overbearing older brother), so started reclaiming my youth with My Little Ponies and unicorns 5 years ago.

And contest, you say? Is this the kind of contest where we can throw a few votes in your direction or is it one of those crappy "traditional" contests with judges that spit in the face of democracy? Cos I want to vote for you if I can.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
It would be cool if we could have a full on DIY & Hobbies secret santa where you're only allowed to send handmade things or tools.

In terms of advanced notice... early November?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

I made a wonky frog with only 2 legs. Hooray.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Gently Used Coat posted:

Haha, before I read that they were crochet hooks, I was trying to figure out how the hell those toothbrushes could work. :downs:

I thought they looked more like a new kind of sex toy :blush:

So is $24 good value or not? That's ~£15 for 3 hooks, £5 each... hmm, I can't remember how much I paid for my last crochet hook. About £3 I think. But those are pretty!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Sweet As Sin posted:

Aw, my unicorn didn't win even a special mention. Still, I'm happy I made it, and expect to FINALLY conclude my dragon and start a robot unicorn since I have a month off school.

First I'm gonna make a scarf, this thread inspired me.

Well that is just beyond unjust! She was magnificent (post another picture!)

p.s can I have your unicorn? Don't make me pull out the "I am having a terrible holiday season" card.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Ahh poo poo, I went away to the countryside without any source of internet over new years and missed the unicorn giveaway.
Crappy new year :argh:

I'm trying to make an amigurumi torti/calico cat for a friend using one strand mohair and one strand each of black, orange and white DK acrylic yarn, does anyone have any tips on changing colour quite regularly without getting horribly tangled? I'm not used to changing colours in the middle of a crochet round. I'm making the pattern up as I go along and it looks okay at the moment, but I want lots of colour changes.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Sweet As Sin posted:

Madlilnerd, if I finish quickly my pattern and finish shark farts unnamed critter, I'll do one for you too before school sucks my time (and soul) away! I do have to try out the drat pattern, it is the first one I've ever made and if I'm ever to sell it or put it online at least it should work. I will do more, and as much as I love the little beasts, I don't want to clutter my house even more. Plus I also need to make a robot unicorn, if I have a pattern ready, tweaking it should be cake.

I'm thinking about a black one... grey looks beautiful so far.

Well obviously don't unicorn yourself to death, especially if you have school. I hate school. I go to art school to play with clay all day and all I want to do is sneak home and knit or sew. Either a robot or black unicorn would be fantastic, and I can happily pay shipping and will pay you a little for your time too if you want (yay student loan comes through soon!).

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Sweet As Sin posted:

Guys (girls?), I'm sorry I fell off the face of the Earth, I got a job an school sucked my soul earlier. I haven't made much progress, but those unicorns will definitely reach FITD and madlilnerd. Just be patient, please! I practically live at uni now.

HONEY BUN- I sympathise about the uni thing. We have had 3 weeks to do 2 projects, including a "series" of vessels, so some days I have got into the studio at 10:15 and left at 19:45 (40 minute walk each way too!). I have had no time for crafts. It is horrible. I really miss my sewing machine and whenever I sit down to relax and watch Big Fat Gypsy Weddings, I have nothing in my hands because I can't afford to go buy any yarn.

However, I did make a bunny for a classmate the other week:

It was going to be a cat and then it changed into a rabbit. I've also got an elephant's head somewhere (it was going to be a crow). I have a problem with things turning into other things.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Julet Esqu posted:

I made her a blanket and when I was done I had lots of yarn left over so I also made her some booties:

The blanket is just a regular old rectangle that I didn't put a ton of effort into. I think the most interesting thing about it is that I used pi as a pattern because... uh... seemed like a good idea at the time, I guess. So the middle rectangle is three rounds and then there's a green line to represent a decimal point and then it goes 14159... and so on. I guess technically if it's based on pi I should have crocheted it in the round, but screw that. Sounds like a pain in the rear end to me, and I don't know that a circle is a good shape for a baby blanket, anyway.

Those booties made me laugh so hard, I can just imagine them flailing around on the end of a baby.

The Pi idea is pretty inspired! Maybe that would be a good stripe sequence for a jumper for the mathmatical men in my life... hmm.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

popgenie posted:

I finished my wool blanket this morning, took about 7 weeks to make. For the border, I used the darker color and did a row of SC on the sides, then squared the top and bottom rippled edges. I did another row of SC all the way around, then one more row in slip stitch to add some stiffness and to help keep the edges in check. It turned out great!

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Now onto the next projects... making a couple more blankets as gifts.

Oooh, I love zigzag blankets. The best thing I ever crocheted was a single bed blanket in rainbow zigzags. Yours is much less eye raping.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Dangereuse posted:

So my question to you is this, what is the weirdest thing you've been asked to crochet?

A lifesize mermaid.

It doesn't really count because I asked myself to make it. ONE DAY I WILL HAVE A MERMAID SISTER, ONE DAY.

The friends all request the usual boring poo poo- kitties, rainbow zig zag blankets, hermit crabs, frogs, flowers.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
So, I made a super simple spring daisy scarf out of the same flower made over and over spaced with 5 chain stitches, done in alpaca 4ply.

I gave it to a friend for her birthday, and she started tearing up because no one other than her mum had ever given her a handmade gift (it was her 41st birthday!).

Reactions like that make crafting awesome.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
How could you post that without posting http://yarnbombing.com/

If I had spare horrible yarn here, I would totally join in. But unfortunately all my spare horrible yarn is 30km away at my parent's house.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I got nervous and pre-emptively goonrushed :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

kitkat_skye posted:

My latest project:

A (slightly blurry) fox that I just finished last night for my friend's birthday. I'm so pleased with how he came out.

He is so cool! I love big squishy amigurumi. I once saw a pattern for a life-size realistic chihuahua, but I didn't save it and I've never found it again :(