Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I am in the process of making a really neat messenger bag for a friend. I'm a beginning crochet-er, and having fun just winging it as I go. I am a tiny bit terrified that it won't turn out as neat as the picture I have in my head...is that weird? I'm using Red Heart (ugh), because it's what I had lying around. I have a few questions for more experienced people.

I bought some cheap black fabric to make a liner for the inside. However, with the chunky look of the purse, and the fact that I've never put a liner in anything, I'm not sure how to put it in without the stitches being very noticeable. Is there a way to avoid this?

My other question is - I'm putting black trim around the whole outside, however my edges do not look nearly as clean as others I've looked up, so I'm kind of winging where I put the SC to make it look ok....is there a better way to do this?

Here's a pic of my crappy edging.

Help!

pepsigloworm fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I did this project the other night in just a few hours. It's my second-ever completed project, and it turned out awesome. I had no pattern, just eyeballed my camera and went from there. It fits it perfectly, and is way better than I even thought it might be.

I was afraid of doing the bottom of it the most, since I've never closed anything off before, but I just went with what looked right, and it didn't turn out horrible!

Hooray for crochet!

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I had posted in here for advice for edging my purse - it's done now! This was for a gift for a friend. It turned out amazing, I couldn't have asked for better. She loves it, and now I want one for myself (except mine will be pink).

Full View - The strap is VERY stretchy, which is why it looks so short. It hangs directly at the hip when it has things in it.

The handstitched liner (Can't wait for a sewing machine!)

This took many months not because I'm slow, but more because I was intimidated to move to the next step each time. Now that I've done it, I'm fairly certain I could make these much faster. I learned SO MUCH doing this, and spent a ton of time researching the best ways to go about things. Completing a big project is very satisfying :D .

I love the chain-link look, and am thinking of making other things like scarves using fatter links.

Also, I highly recommend the purse-liner tutorial someone in this thread linked me - http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blo...cheted-bag.aspx . It was very helpful, and she has neat things on her site to make.

pepsigloworm fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 8, 2009

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Cerri posted:

So, I made myself some thick, warm, oasty-toasty socks!

Those look awesome - do you have the pattern you used? I've been pondering making some nice socks, my feet are always frozen.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

porcupinecake posted:

I crocheted stockings for everyone this year and bought stocking stuffers to fill them. It was easier for me given my budget and stockings are more fun anyway!

I'm super happy with the way they turned out and I hope everyone likes them.

Those are awesome! I was thinking of making a stocking this year for myself and my husband, since neither of us have one, and yours are definitely a great idea!

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I'm confused. I'm making these socks: http://www.crochetandknitting.com/socks.htm . I'm all the way at row 38 for the rest of the foot, and I somehow JUST NOW noticed it says "turn" at the end of every row.

Did I gently caress this up? I thought you make socks in the round, why would you turn at the end of each row? Would you then be going back and forth in some weird zigzag? Please tell me I don't have to unravel everything I just did...I've had these drat socks in progress for over a month now.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I'm done with the heel flap actually, and on the "rest of the foot" part...I did the heel flap just fine, it turned out great. However when continuing with the rest of the sock, I just noticed the "Turn" at the end of each row. If it's in the round, why would you turn? Or am I not supposed to be doing it in the round?

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

So do any of you guys have crochet blogs where you post patterns or do you have a favorite free pattern crochet blog? I'm on ravelry, so there's a definite overflow of patterns on there, I'm just wondering if I'm the only dork on here with a crochet blog.

I have a regular blog that I include all of my crochet projects in, and give out patterns by request since none of my family or friends who read it are interested in making it. They just looking at what crazy thing I made last...

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I'd link to mine, but it's really bare bones at the moment. There's just a few patterns on there, and a bunch of me raving about new books I've got. What's yours?

drat, you don't have PM's! http://dopinkcowsmoo.blogspot.com/ You can click on "Labels - Crochet" so you don't have to sort through all of my other stuff.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Has anyone made and actually used a crochet washcloth? I have a bunch of new pattern books so I want to try and make some. What yarn is best for it? Cotton? I'm assuming that would shrink really bad in the wash/dryer. Wool seems like it'd leave strands of fuzz everywhere if it got wet.

I have many crochet washcloths that I've made and received. I only have a few acrylic ones from my husband's grandma, the rest are cotton. They're excellent for dishes, or for face-wash-cloths. They exfoliate nicely, and take tough crap off dishes. I don't keep them for terribly long after using, since I have an excess of yarn and they're so easy to make, but as long as you aren't HOT washing and HOT drying they're fine. (Anyone correct me if they've found otherwise!)

I think the name for the crochet group is awesome - I am missmatchedcows on Ravelry.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I've been hmmm'in and haw'in about this all week, and I think I should just go ahead and do it.

I'd label myself as a crocheter, as my knitting skills are basic knit/purl at best. I make really cool things (or so I think) and can't wait to find out who's going to end up with something I made! (Muahahah)

My birthday is this week, so I hope I get a neato-cool belated knit/crochet gift from a random internet stranger!

pepsigloworm fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 7, 2010

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Shnooks posted:

Ok, so I started crocheting my gauge swatch...maybe I did it wrong again, now that I look at it...

I crocheted it flat and chained 14 stitches. So far I've done 10 rows of 14sts and it's only 2.5"Hx2.5"W on a size J needle. Assuming I kept going with 10 more rows, it'd be 2.5"Hx4"W.

How the hell do you fix a problem like that?

I am no where near an expert at this, but I tried to figure out what may be going on with that pattern. I picked up my J hook and made a chain of 14, and did just one row to see how long it would be - Mine came out to about 3.5inches long, or 10CM as the pattern is metric. Did you forget to convert to metric? Loosen your tension a little bit maybe to make it about one inch longer?

Edit: Oh, I see, you're already getting a perfect square and you're only half done. Do you do your chain tight, but your stitches loose maybe? Still doing Single Crochet, right?

I blame everything on the pattern originally being written in Norwegian. :colbert:

pepsigloworm fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 8, 2010

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
Just from me looking at your picture compared to the one row I have sitting here, you did that super-tight! My chain isn't even terribly loose, and I'm one whole inch bigger than your gauge. Does your yarn make that awful "squeeeeek" when you're moving it on your hook? Ugh, I hate that noise if I'm doing something in tight stitches.

So anyways, could your super-tight stitches be the whole problem?

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Hot crochet swap action.

Holy crap I love the fish-bones, my kitties would LOVE THAT! (Or at least I'd pretend they loved it, and keep wagging it in front of them desperately)

I'm having fun making something...unique, to say the least for the knit/crochet swap. I feel like I need to make more though, after seeing everyone else's goodies!

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I am still waiting for my box / envelope / bag of goodies, but I feel that is karma, considering I haven't mailed mine out yet to my recipient. I emailed her to let her know I suck, and I'm late. I made an super-cool extra thing to make up for it!

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
hello fence, I have received your package! I am very very very amused to learn we have the same first name (different spelling)... :D

Everything arrived in perfect condition - however now it is in my house, where it may be doooooooomed:

Nymeria loves the cow. As do I, I squeed very loudly at him. I LOVE HIM!

Ogg-Vorbis looks regal, doesn't she?

Group shot - Nymeria trying to steal the shawl away from Vorbis.

Yaaay! I love everything! That shade of pink is my absolute favorite shade - none of that baby pink wussiness. Thank you hello fence!!!!!

EDIT: I see my giftee received their package from me a little while ago, hope you enjoy it!!!

pepsigloworm fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 2, 2010

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Wandering Knitter posted:

Then it might be a good idea to make a rule to keep the gifts simple: One small item each. Maybe an ornament?

That's a great idea. One simple item!

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
Just in case I missed it, did we decide if we were going to do a Holiday Crochet/Knit exchange yet? If we are, I'd like to get started on making something small (wait, it's coming back to me now, there was talk of making one small ornament or something) ASAP so I can mail everything out at once...

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
Kirby!

Did him in about a day because I didn't realize my best friend's boyfriend got me a gift, so I whipped up Kirby superquick. I'm proud of the feet most, as they actually sit flat when you sit him upright (he's more leaning back in the picture).

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Kjoery posted:

So, I've been trying to do a half-red half-blue Amigurumi:

But as you can see, the seam has gradually migrated, so it's not straight anymore. My terrible webcam makes it look a bit worse than it acutally is, but how do I avoid his from happening? Is it just from uneven tension?

Did you do a "continuous" round or did you start each row like a new row? Continuous rounds where you just keep crocheting without starting a new row can do that.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Mathematics posted:

Hi everyone, I've recently learned to crochet. It's been amazing so far; I'm surprised at how easy it is to learn the basics.

But one thing that frustrates me is sewing in the tails. It know that you're supposed to fasten off and then weave the end through some stiches and back again. But that doesn't seem secure enough to me at all. What is stopping it from unweaving itself?

I don't really care if the tail pops out on something I make for myself because I can just fix it, but I'm wary to give something to my friends and worry that the tails will pop out.

Any advice? Thanks!

When I have the last stitch on the hook and completed, I chain one then snip the yarn and pull the yarn through completely. The first way she does it in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz2UC_RvNs0 I've machine washed some of my items bound off in that method and they've been totally fine. Just make sure when you're tightening it that you don't squish your stitches, it can make the end look more obvious.

I have a question - I'm looking for a good tutorial on embroidery for amigurumi. I've generally accepted I'm pretty terrible at it, but I need to do something other than button eyes for projects! I've even used a permanent marker to make features, but I think it would look nicer to do embroidery.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Erdos posted:

Basically: Wrap the yarn, pull the yarn through the next loop in the previous row and the yarn I just wrapped, then pull the yarn through the two loops on the hook.

Sounds like it might be a Half-Double crochet you're doing. (Of course are you using American Terminology or British?)

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Palisader posted:

My question is, I can't seem to come up with an elegant way of creating a thumbhole that isn't just literally a hole for the thumb, and I think they'd look a little more polished if there was a bit more to the thumb portion. Any suggestions?

I've seen some gloves that build off of the thumb after you make the rest of the hand. Just single crochet in each stitch around of the hole to make more of a thumb. Other patterns I've seen become more adapted around the thumb, but since you've got most of the gloves completed I'd just add on.

I really like both gloves you've made, I'm trying to make something similar for myself using a ridiculously fuzzy yarn. Are those from a pattern?

Since everyone else is showing awesome stuff they made, here's a Shroomish (from Pokemon) I made for a friend! Crocodile stitch is fun, I really want to use it on something else now. Also I really really need to learn embroidery for faces. Anyone have tips?

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I did a test crochet this week for this blog (and an awesome cause!): http://mixedmartialartsandcrafts.com/2013/02/crochet-a-lymph-node-pattern-is-now-live/

Here's how mine turned out - Lymph Node

And this I've had nearly finished for two months now. I just got around to sewing it all up. This is that simple kitty pattern made from a rectangle and an hourglass shape.

I stuffed both of these with catnip, as I have tons from a relative's garden. What kitty doesn't want to play with a lymph node?

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
Awesome Chocobo Marchegiana! My husband would love one of those.

Here's a commission I just finished - Harley Quinn from Arkham City.

Another commission - A Wumpa Fruit from the Crash Bandicoot games. Since yarn doesn't come in the colors necessary, I made it in white wool and dyed it with Koolaid to get the colors. Dyeing with Koolaid was easier than I thought it would be, and has the added bonus of making the Wumpa Fruit smell fruity!

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

wtftastic posted:

I've just started crocheting recently and I'm really enjoying it! I have a few questions though.

1) I made a huge batch of granny squares and apparently while they look like they're the same size...they aren't. I want to join them together as a blanket, but I'm not really sure what to do since they're not exactly the same size. Any recommendations or guides?

2) I think I might be a moron but I can never ever get the foundation chain/ foundation row down right. I started a large ripple afghan (yeah a stupid choice, but I had been bought yarn for it by the person who was teaching me to crochet) and it took me like ~100 tries to get it down. I guess I have trouble counting stitches/ chains so I frequently end up shifting things over. Is there a way I can help myself get better at this? I also gently caress up reading where to make the turning chain so now I have to frog like two rows to redo it.

Thanks for the help!

You could always add on another row around the edges of the smaller squares to make them match the larger ones, either by doing a single crochet row or a double crochet row or whatever it takes to get the right size.

As far as counting stitches goes, I count as I go. I've made it such a habit that I do it subconsciously and only mess up what stitch I'm on if I start paying attention suddenly. You could get a stitch counter, they use them more in knitting.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I made my own funky stocking this year, and I'm super happy with how it turned out.

My hand is there for reference, it turned out large.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

bibliophile posted:

I need some crochetgoon gift advice. My mom wants a set or ergonomic crochet hooks for Christmas. Can anyone recommend a nice set that isn't too expensive? I'm on a bit of a budget but I can afford to spend a little more than I would on myself because my mom is worth it.

If you want to save $$, and be all cute and crafty, you can just get regular hooks, and make comfort handles with clay. There are lots of tutorials on how to do so, and you can make them look neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
Not mine, but a wonderful idea for a couch blanket:

[timg]https://imgur.com/gallery/UTM4DTL[/timg]

pepsigloworm fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 9, 2018