Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I just want to say as a knitter I'm totally jealous of you crocheters. No matter how much I've tried all my crochet looks horrible and just winds up in a jumbled mass of knots.

Which is a shame because I have an unholy love for granny squares. I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Turning holes is my main problem in doing crochet, too. :smith: But luckily I've found a pattern that lets me cheat:

http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/2006/11/vintage_vertica.html

I've made a scarf and a pot holder using this method and it works like a charm. So I can at least make squares and rectangles.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Just to let everyone in this topic know I've started a yarn destash trading thread in SA-Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3249996

Even you mysterious hookers are welcomed! :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Moms Stuffing posted:

If you can knit, you can probably crochet.

I prove this wrong. :smith: I want to crochet so badly, but I just can't wrap my mind around it. At most I can make a potholder.

Also that heart is freaking adorable. :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I barely know how to crochet, so I was wondering if anyone knew a good instructional video/videos on really easy granny squares.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ms. Happiness posted:

Does this this help at all?

I'll let you know after I drive myself crazy with my hook and yarn.

I'm going to learn to crochet well, drat it! And make that little bear myself!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
An old coworker of mine got around sewing by just making giant single-square granny blankets.

She was also batshit insane.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Sex Hobbit posted:

The thing that gets me about those is that they cannot be that absorbent. I mean, at least with diva cups you only have to worry about it twice a day or so. I'd burn through the crocheted thing in like an hour on the second day.

I think it's for those women who have very light, easy periods with no cramping at all.

Otherwise known as women I shall hunt down and destroy.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You could start a separate Knit/Crochet gift thread!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I just like to hang out in your thread and look at your cute/awesome/pretty things because I can't figure out crochet for the life of me. But at least we have yarn in common! :swoon:

I would happily trade a knit thing or yarn or needles or hooks or something for a crochet thing or yarn or whatever.

I feel kind of like the knitting leper in here. :zombie:

Don't worry, I like to lurk here too. I find crochet plushies like a thousand times cuter than knit ones, but all of my attempts at crochet have ended in pain and bloodshed. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Nibblet posted:

Here's my latest completed project. It's a slime from the game Maplestory, if anyone's heard of it.

Look at that fukkin slime :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I just wanted to let you crazy crocheters know that I've restarted :siren:The Great Yarn Swap:siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3314729

Because you guys totally have yarn you have no idea what you're going to do with. :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

shark farts posted:

Welp that's certainly... a thing. :T;

My roommate's mom actually suggested that I give my amigurumi animals boobs and dicks because boobs and dicks are funny and more people will buy them. I'm beginning to wonder if she was right. Oh god oh god

She is, but they'll sell not because 'they're funny' :gonk:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So 'do to circumstances' I am going to be taking crochet lessons with my sister in a few weeks. She doesn't know anything about it, and I can barely make a pot holder.

Are there any good videos out there for us to watch to practice between classes? because we're going to need all of the help we can get.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

popgenie posted:

Granted, I've been working more on small things like amigurumi, but I found these videos good for reference on individual stitches:

http://learntocrochet.lionbrand.com/?learnToCrochet=1

I also found some great demos from the videos by this youtube user:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WireMySoul

Thanks! I'm mostly taking the classes because I want to do amigurumi. I want a pot-bellied kitten too! :swoon:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I've started my crochet lessons and look at this motherfucking sampler!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

That's right, I have four different stitches there! And I kept the same number on every row! :black101:

Now I need help. I'm taking this class because I really want to learn how to make crochet amigurumi, and for my next class I need to bring in a pattern for one that's easy, but a little harder than "Sew two squares together and make a SQUARE MONSTER"

Does anyone know a good one?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I could make amigurumi sushi! :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

STOP IT STOP IT :( I want her so much now. I missed out on being a girly girl when I was younger (very overbearing older brother), so started reclaiming my youth with My Little Ponies and unicorns 5 years ago.

Annoying isn't it? I spent my whole childhood being a dinosaurs playing tomboy but looking at that unicorn makes me scream out in girlish glee.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You are making a pattern for that Panda, right?

Right?

The good news is that I have officially joined the rank of crocheters! :toot: Check it out! I have finished my first project:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

A cute little onigiri!

And I must say holy crap making plushies using crochet is awesome! Making the same thing through knitting would have taken me all afternoon, but with this I whipped one up in no time and then make a second one so I could give them to my twin nephews.

Now I'm looking for a new pattern to take on! :dance:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

shark farts posted:

Yes, absolutely! I wouldn't dream of making anything without writing the pattern down anymore. I am addicted to writing them. :D So once I figure out this goofyass shirt, the panda pattern will be up for sale! I need to figure out like a special day/event or something when I share some of my etsy patterns for free. I feel like an rear end asking money for them. Maybe I should get a blog/website where I can organize everything and offer downloads. I dunno! Either way, I am thrilled that someone else has begun making crocheted plushies too. I love your onigiri!

You patterns are amazing and I feel bad that I missed out when you were handing out the kitten one. But that Panda would be perfect for all of my leftover black and white yarn.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

:hfive: onigiri buddy! It looks good! I'm glad to have brought one of you knitters to the dark side. Whenever I meet knitters and tell them I crochet they're always like "Oh noooo you need to be doing this" like I was denouncing Jesus in a room full of Christians.

I was pretty much the same way until I realized that every time I bought a plush doll from someone else it was always crocheted. Then after a few months hemming and hawing I forced myself to go get crochet lessons from the same woman who taught me how to knit many years ago.

I'm now saving up some cash because I need these books.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 7, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I have all of those except the first one. They're all completely worth it and then some. Another good one to get is Elizabeth Doherty's amigurumi book. It's a little bit advanced, but shark farts and I have both got it so I'm sure we could talk you through stuff.

Edit: The crobots book is alright. Find it somewhere and look through it before you buy it. They've usually got it at Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

I've found all but the first two at Michaels/A.C. Moore. I'm waiting until I can use a 50% off coupon on them to grab them, since they would be cheaper than amazon.

I really want that Creepy Cute Crochet one just for the Cthulhu plush. I got four nephews who NEED those for Christmas :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Devi posted:

There's a couple of free Cthulhu patterns around. I like Tiny Cthulhu and The Elder God. Creepy Cute Crochet isn't the best for a beginner--the instructions are technically correct but not written the way most others are and there are a few quirks. On the Cthulhu, I don't think anyone has ever figured out the wings.

Well that's good to know about the book. Maybe I'll do the Tiny Cthulhu pattern instead. Maybe I'll make a jellyfish next to practice the spiral crochet thingy for it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So my autistic sister is also learning how to crochet (she made her first scarf! :neckbeard:) and wants to make a bag next. Like a market/grocery bag she can use to carry her crochet supplies in.

Are there any good easy bag patterns out there? Probably something that only uses single and double crochet?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

She could also (since she's familiar with rectangular shapes, just make a really wide scarf and fold it so it makes a bag with a flap over it messenger bag style. Then you just sew the sides closed and add a strap.

See, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, but I kinda want to find a "real" pattern for one so she can learn how to read patterns too.

It's harder to find one than I thought. All of the bags on Lion Brand is just terrible. And almost always uses furry yarn.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I need the star and owl pattern. :ohdear:

Right now I'm working on a pattern I bought off of etsy, and it's going terribly! :saddowns: The pattern is poorly written and I seem to randomly switch from having too many stitches to too few.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

shark farts posted:

Oh dear :( Maybe if you post some parts you're having trouble with, we can help? I am morbidly curious to see what a bad etsy pattern looks like. I am paranoid that I am doing something wrong when I write mine.

I think there's a mistake in the pattern, or the person who made it increases/decreases a different way, because I cannot for the life of me get the right number of stitches on each row...

...which is impossible because she doesn't mention the number of stitches on each row, which is driving me batty! She also uses a completely different method to write the pattern down. To increase she writes "2SC", but if she wants the next two stitches to be single crochet she writes "SCx2".

The worst part is at the end. I have 26 stitches. The pattern then says:

SCx6, Decrease 1, SC, dec 1, SCx8, dec 1, sc, dec 1

...expect every time me AND my teacher have tried it we're two stitches too short. I ended up faking my entire way through the end of the pattern.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I contacted the woman I bought the bizarre pattern from and she's rewriting it to make it easier to understand.

I love the internet. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
This loving pattern

I've had to contact the woman *again* because the shrimp tail part seems to be missing a few steps. I've given up and making a Tuna sushi monster instead.

I think I'll take a break from plushies after this and work on learning granny squares in class this week.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I made a second onigiri and gave them to my baby twin nephews. They were dumbfounded over the concept that something could be toy food, AND A BALL! :aaaaa:

e: To make a long story short

Someone please talk me out of this.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 18, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
That's the opposite of talking me out of it! :saddowns:

It'll have to wait, anyway. I just did an inventory of what I need to make before the craft fair and it turns out I'm a week behind schedule. But maybe after that...and after Christmas presents...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

This. Especially if you make granny squares, you can just slowly get it done. You can whip out one or two squares between projects and they'll add up really fast.

I think this Christmas is going to be a pretty heavily crocheted Christmas for most folks I know. :D

Well, if I do this blanket I want to do it with the "crochet it on as you go" method, since I hate sewing the same way most people hate going to the dentist.

I'm also temped to do some half-assed mini crochet item for Christmas presents (I kinda got burned last year) but it's hard to think of something I can do for all of the men/women in my family of varying ages.

On that note, my cousin found out that I wanted to make her babies mini-Cthulhus for Christmas and forbade it. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Your cousin is a twat.

She said I wasn't allowed to make them until they were old enough to understand the concept of unspeakable horrors from beyond the stars. :(

So now I'm trying to figure something else I can make them that's easy, not the big, and even more bizarre as revenge

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I think the answer is hats that make them look INCREDIBLY stupid. (but cute, at the same time)

alternate answer: human centipede jumper. (one size fits three!)

She does have three kids! :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, we've come to the agreement that I make them robots for Christmas.

Next year, monsters that drive you made from gazing upon them. :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

I just made a cat from this pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/roly-poly-cats also http://puchitomato.livejournal.com/22042.html#cutid1

Completed it while having a Mad Men marathon.

For the feet, I substituted the final decrease round with an extra round of single crochet. As small as the feet were, it was nearly impossible to cram my hook in there and decrease, and having the foot completely closed at the attachment point was making it entirely too hard to sew the legs on.

Well I was going to work on some of my craft fair stuff or maybe finish my sushi monster today but I guess I can't do that anymore because I need these kittens

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Here's hoping the thread is quiet because everyone is sending out gifts. :haw:

Just reminding folks they're supposed to be sent out at the end of this month. Is anyone up for a Christmas one? Should we get the needle felters and the rest of the knitters in on this? I have a feeling this is mod territory, getting everyone involved, but I'm pretty sure I can be in charge of pairing everyone up again. It would be nice to just hand out a probation or a ban for anyone who doesn't send stuff instead of being responsible for it myself. :D

I'd love a Christmas Swap Craft Megathread. :3: And this time I can join in!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

It would be cool if we could have a full on DIY & Hobbies secret santa where you're only allowed to send handmade things or tools.

In terms of advanced notice... early November?

Yeah, I can do early Nov. By then I should hopefully be done with my family's Christmas presents :gonk:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

popgenie posted:

^^ this ^^

You're a braver goon than I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So my brother's birthday is coming up, and since he doesn't leave the 40k forums I think it's safe to discuss this here.

I want to make him a small crochet doll of Professor Plum. The man's a Clue nut and I know that's his favorite character. I need your guys help finding a good pattern for me to modify into one.

I really like how these doll bodies look, but you already warned me how hard they are. :ohdear: