Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

This is what I used for the body for my Old Gregg amigurumi. Obviously leave out all the bee stuff. Basically any variation of that is gold. If you'd like I could try and make up a basic body pattern. Do you want him to be on the fatter side?

Yeah, I like it with a fatter body and the slightly smaller head.

I also slyly asked him his favorite character, and he said he likes Mrs. White the best now. :ohdear: I guess the hair will be easier now, but I'm not too sure how to do a "dress".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Just change colors in the body so the black would be "form fitting" and put an apron on over it, be it a tiny crochet one or a knit one or a sewn one or something. Same for the little ruffle hat.

That is the traditional White and not the movie version. Movie version, buh, hosed if I know.

Yeah, with him it's movie-version only. He freaking loved that movie when we were growing up to the point where we'd watch it every other day. You know, instead of Sesame Street or something. We were odd kids. :v:

That's why I was looking at this Don't Do It Knitter pattern. The little ruffle at the bottom would make it look like a dress, and then I'd just have to do the head in peach with a black hair helmet (not too sure how to do that)

With little rope accessory, of course :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Essentially what you're looking for is a ball on top of a tube, so if you can crochet or knit those you could even just make 2 pieces and sew them together. I haven't actually done this, but it would go something like this:

I'll have to give this a go. I have 15(well, 14) days to make this for my brother. It's either that or an Inception related birthday gift.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, after talking to my brother some more he actually told me what he wanted for his birthday. It's so nerdy I don't know if I even want to say what it is.

But I need a basic pattern for a crochet circle. Preferably one that doesn't spiral.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm so sorry guys.

I ignored your advice and bought this pattern, even though you guys warned me that the creator's patterns were kind of hard.

You were right! I wanted to make a cute jellyfish, and now I have this flat thing with weird instructions!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Devi posted:

If you have a flat piece, it sounds like you were increasing every round instead of a round with no increases.

That's how the pattern goes. It's...slightly cupped? I guess? But it's nowhere as bowl-like as the jellyfish in the picture. I've redone it about three times, but it always comes out the same.

I need to stop buying patterns off of etsy. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've decided to work on Christmas gifts for a bit.

So I need help finding the cutest crochet plushie in all of existance for my sister's gift.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I'm all about a Christmas gift exchange, but seeing as it's October already, I don't know if there's enough time to get everyone their person and get gifts in by Christmas. Also, I'm going to be super busy. I'd love to help out with one if someone else wants to take the reins. The idea of a DIY big huge xmas swap sounded like an awesome idea too, but I am total crap at organizing big things.

Then it might be a good idea to make a rule to keep the gifts simple: One small item each. Maybe an ornament?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Has anyone else seen these?

It's three shiny crochet hooks in a plastic tube.

The cost? $24.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Does anyone have a good pattern for a mobius scarf/cowl using Super Bulky yarn?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Someone here posted a really cute pattern for a crochet star, and I can't find it. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I don't know how it happened, but all but 2 christmas gifts this year is crocheted instead of knitted.

I blame you guys. :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

popgenie posted:

I'm glad that I took the vacation time to finish it up - I doubt I would have been able to finish it by Christmas if I was working the whole time. All in all, a good four-ish months of work, and I'm just hoping that it will be appreciated when presented to its intended recipient.

If they don't appreciate it I'm almost certain you're in the legal right to beat them to death with a shovel.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm having a devil of a time trying to find a good crochet pattern for Harry Potter scarves. I'm running out of Christmas-present making time and I figure crochet will go a lot faster than knitting. Can anyone help? :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Devi posted:

Have you looked on Ravelry? I want to ask before I search there and repeat what you've found.

Lion Brand has a pattern but they warn that it's an approximation since a true replica would use 7 times the yarn. I haven't paid enough attention to the movies to tell if this is the right pattern.

There's a pattern on about.com that tells you how to do the big chunks of color pattern and the smaller bars. And you don't have to log in.

I'm looking more for square blocks, like in this pattern:

http://littleigor.wordpress.com/2009/09/01/im-a-griffinclaw-scarf-pattern-included/

I would use that pattern, but I'm a bit worried about the "YOU HAVE TO BLOCK THIS!!!!" warnings.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Devi posted:

How about this one?

Don't worry too much about blocking. If it was a lacy pattern with lots of details then blocking would be important. But for a scarf like this that doesn't have any open areas you should be okay with skipping blocking. Especially if you're using a worsted weight acrylic. Ideally you'd block it but it won't hurt the scarf too much if you don't. If your tension is consistent then you won't have to worry about the blocks being oddly shaped. There's a trick for making the edges come out even. I'll try to find it.

But if you do want to block it, get it damp, lay it out on a bed or couch or any flat space that won't get disturbed, pin it down, and let it dry. I'm told it's no big deal.

I'd love for that hint to make edges even. My crochet edges always look so wobbly. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I got a poo poo ton of crochet books for Christmas, all of them plushie related! :toot:

Everyone loved my crochet gifts, which is a big thrill after last year's :geno: fest. Since my camera is lost I'll show you the patterns.

My baby cousins got these. I told them they were the stars from Mario 64 and they spent the rest of the night telling me what levels they were from. :3:

My sister got this bear! Though mine didn't have the nose piece. Every time I tried to put it on it just looked freaky.

And my Dad got the blue rocket. It's sitting on top of his TV now!

My brother's getting a Hufflepuff scarf, and Mom's cowl was sort of made up as I went along.

It was a crochet Christmas! Next, I'm crocheting myself a radioactive scorpion.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

shark farts posted:

Still needs an outfit like the cats have so it isn't naked. I need to make more patterns for my shop but I also need to decide whether or not to continue with the "biped animal with clothes" theme, since my panda and fox patterns haven't sold in months. Gotta figure out what's most appealing!

Make sure your items are tagged correctly. When work's dead I like to wander around the amigurumi section of patterns, and I never see your work there. Make sure each one is tagged patterns, plushie, amigurumi, crochet, toy, etc.

On that note look at the bunny LOOK AT THE BUNNY :swoon:

e: There's your problem! They're not tagged pattern!

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 28, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

McBeth posted:

Yes brothers are retarded or borderline. I spent a month painting star wars characters onto fabric to make a small baby quilt for my niece due next month. I mailed it a few weeks ago and asked him to let me know when it arrived. Two weeks later and nothing so I send an email:

Me: did you get the package?
him: yes (that's right a one word response and I felt like poo poo)
me: did you open it?
him: yes (I'm gonna shove my foot up his rear end)
me: should I have sent something else?
him: no it was fine. Wanna skype on Christmas?
me: I felt really bad that I'd sent something you didn't like. (That I spent so much time making and was excited to give you, rear end in a top hat)
him: oh yeah sorry, we love it.
Keep in mind each email takes him a full day for a response.

If you want to see it its on https://www.geekcrafts.com front page, second one down. Can you imagine making that and getting almost no reaction? He lives on the east coast and I am in the midwest. That is all that is keeping me from kicking his rear end.

Please. For all of us.

Stop sending poo poo to you brother.

Make him some generic scarf every year, and get rich selling your geek crafts off of etsy.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
It's come to my attention that me and my sister's yarn stashes are hitting critical mass. In an attempt to combat this we have decided to start OPERATION GRANNY BLANKET.

What I need are the best crochet videos on youtube that step-by-step explain a very easy square for me and my sister to do. Does anyone know any good ones?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Julet Esqu posted:

Perhaps you could look into getting this booklet? It has instructions for 63 different squares ranging in difficulty from very basic to advanced. The directions are clear enough, though, that if you know your crochet basics, you should be able to get a handle on the more complicated patterns as well. And when you're done working through the squares, you'll have a blanket!

I got this thing when I was relatively new to crochet, and I found it to be a great confidence builder. Hold on to the booklet and you'll also have a nice set of 63 stitch patterns that you can adapt later to other projects. I'm working on a scarf using pattern #63 right now. :3:

Thanks! I'm also looking for videos because I can figure things out a lot faster when I see someone do it. :ohdear:

I found this video but it's terrible for beginners. "Okay, double crochet and doawholebunchofstitchesIwon'texplain and you have a square!"

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 1, 2011

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fire In The Disco posted:

This one by the same author seems fairly straightforward.

Perfect! I've already started a pile of granny squares! They're comically easy. Shame it's going to suck hard to sew/crochet them all together in the end.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

popgenie posted:

The advice I can offer, having done a blanket with 2.5" squares... make them BIGGER. I don't know if your stash can support it, but if you can make them even one row larger it will drastically cut down on the time to put them together. My project had 22 horizontal and vertical seams that had to be done - at around an hour of time each to complete. Bigger = less headache. I guess it mostly depends on whether or not you're doing an overall pattern or not.

Yeah, my squares are about 5.5 inches, and I have no real pattern planned. Pretty much I've grabbed every yarn I have no plans for that's WW and I'm making squares.

It's going to be ugly as sin :dance:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Devi posted:

I was looking at The Rabbit Problem earlier. It's a children's picture book that tackles Fibonocci's problem in a very cute way. It's set up like a calendar and many months have little books. In the second month the two bunnies are cold and they try to make a sweater. It's a hooded sweater and the hood has ears. It's adorable. Now I want to make a bunny and a hoodie for it. Someone on etsy had a supercute bunny like that but the pattern isn't offered any more. So shark farts, if you need some ideas for animal clothing...

There's these hoodie bunnies :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

shark farts posted:

Anyway - I just hit my 100th sale in my Etsy shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/sarsel All my patterns are 35% off for a week, starting today. But you guys get an extra 10% off if you use the code 1850285 when you checkout. :3: (The coupon code for everybody else is 35%, yours is 45%)

Finally! An excuse to buy your patterns! :3:

e: Annnnnnnd bought them all!

e2: I just noticed that you have a fox pattern that wasn't in your shop. Is there any reason why you're not selling it anymore?

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 5, 2011

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

shark farts posted:

Alright! I'll think about what kind of critter I might want and let you know. :3:

Wandering Knitter - the listing for the fox expired last week and I haven't bothered to put it back up. :( I've been debating on whether or not I should because I'm not quite as happy with it as I had been. I'm considering making a new design with a more egg-shaped head, kind of like the bunnies, started at the nose and worked back instead of from the top down so it'd have a snout. That white muzzle on the old one was a real pain in the butt to make.

edit; I'm guessing you were crocheter4life? You didn't use your coupon code! I can refund you the money you'd saved if you want!

I'm Threadbare Knitter. Now that I look at my email I don't think I clicked the 'buy it drat you!' option in the checkout. :downs:

e: Yup, I somehow didn't notice the "SUBMIT ORDER" button. Now I've bought everything!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

popgenie posted:

Psssst... get some patterns back up on your store! Gotta have 'em all. Right now there's just rabbits and cats. Any luck on getting the mouse one published?

Yes! Any update on the mouse and fox patterns?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I just did the math and I'm going to need about 200 granny squares for my blanket.

What have I gotten into? :saddowns:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

The Iron Fury posted:

Do you guys ever do trades with the knitters? I have these knit leg warmers that I LOVE, but am retarded at knitting. I was thinking 'bout posting some pics over there and requesting some sort of trade: money, crocheted thing, paintings, or whatever. Would they yell at me?

Hey, I started crocheting because I realized that I was addicted to buying crocheted toys. It's sorta like going from taking drugs to dealing. :v:

That being said, I wouldn't mind some sort of knitting/crochet trade.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Devi posted:

One of the awesome things about this place is that you don't get the kind of rivalry/snarkiness between knitters and crocheters that you get elsewhere. It's like we all paid our $10 to post on a comedy forum and that's good enough for everyone. I've never seen any cattiness around here. I do see a lot of people the same people in the crafty threads, though. No one is going to be upset with you for poking around elsewhere. And I'm sure there will be people who'd love to take you up on whatever offer.

God, I've forgotten about the knitting/crochet wars.

When I first wanted to learn how to knit I asked a woman who knew a little knitting but mostly did crochet. She yelled at me for choosing "the wrong one" and made me wind balls of yarn for an hour. By hand.

Years later I asked a coworker if she could teach me how to crochet. She said that "A knitter could NEVER learn how to properly crochet!".

On the other hand, they might have just been huge bitches.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Devi posted:

Most of the people at my Stitch n Bitch knit. No one is hostile but they make jokes and snide remarks that I don't get. Like constantly saying that crocheting uses *so* much more yarn but is faster. Like it's a fact.

But...crochet does use up more yarn? And is faster? :ohdear:

Awesomonster posted:

Haha, man, Wandering Knitter, I am pretty sure I can safely say those ladies were just straight up bitches rather than people who make any kinda sense. I learned to knit first and did it for years (though I'm an intermediate knitter AT BEST) before I started to crochet, which I've only just learned. While I find I generally have more fun crocheting and feel like I'm able to be more creative than with knitting due to my lack of knitting skill, I will still knit things and enjoy it immensely. I don't think there is a wrong or right choice outside of personal preference, and I'm surprised that anyone would think there was. I guess everything has to have its snobs who need to feel superior to others!

Yeah, both of them were rather old, had huge chips on their shoulders, and could best be described as 'huge bitches'.

I ended up getting lessons for both since my area is lacking in stitch and bitch groups near me. And yarn stores. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Devi posted:

But you would think we just much more yarn and go very fast with the way some people talk about it. One woman things we use up too much of their yarn and there have been a few snide remarks about how I can finish things faster than they can because I crochet. So not only is my stuff a bunch of bulky yarn hogs, but I haven't accomplished anything really since I can do it so fast. I've only gotten a few remarks that really cut, but they were enough.

On the other hand, when people who have made those remarks complain about how hard something like knitting a toy is, it's fun to happily tell them how easy it would be to crochet it. And fast!

What the hell? :psyduck: As someone just learning to crochet I want to smack them! Crochet is just as hard as knitting, and who cares if it uses more yarn? There's just some things I knit and some things I crochet.

Like toys! :v: God, I am never knitting a toy ever again. It may be related to the six crochet toy books I got for christmas this year.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Wandering Knitter posted:

Has anyone else seen these?

It's three shiny crochet hooks in a plastic tube.

The cost? $24.

So months ago I was dumbfounded at these hooks. Why would anyone want these, I thought.

Well, to make a long story short I found myself in an AC Moore with at 60% off coupon and in need of a gift for myself after a long week. I want to report that holy poo poo these are the best hooks ever.

They're lightweight, the rubber grips are in the EXACT right spot to keep the hook from slipping and they fit perfectly in my chubby little hands! The only problem I have is every AC Moore in the area only has them in sizes G-H-J sizes.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I blame you guys for this.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

50 crochet granny squares out of 200.

The only problem is that I'm running out of yarn. Does anyone want to donate their crappy acrylic WW yarn? :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Devi posted:

If you're serious and willing to pay shipping, I have a bunch I can stuff into a flat rate box. I keep meaning to do something with it so it stops tempting me. I've got a big bag of it that gets hidden.

Maybe! Let me completely tap my own crappy acrylic stash, and I'll see how far along my project is.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ms. Happiness posted:

WK, are you just making a wonderfully random afghan out of squares?

drat straight I am. One day I want to make a tetris blanket, but right now I just want to make a random rear end blanket for the couch.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
60/200

Devi posted:

If you're serious and willing to pay shipping, I have a bunch I can stuff into a flat rate box. I keep meaning to do something with it so it stops tempting me. I've got a big bag of it that gets hidden.

If it's not too much trouble can you see how much you can shove into a medium size flat rate box? Fill that sucker!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ms. Happiness posted:

http://abilene.craigslist.org/art/2179330689.html

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! This is right by me. She's asking 50 cents per skein. Anybody want some yarn, haha?

God drat it that's the yarn I NEED craigslist NJ why must you fail me

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ms. Happiness posted:

Are there any particular colors you'd like? I could send some your way. :) I'm probably going this weekend to check out the yarn.

This is a granny blanket made of cheap, WW acrylic yarn. The uglier the better. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Springheel Jill posted:

I must have gaped in awe for close to an hour before tearing myself away and fleeing--today it dragged me back. As is usual for eBay there's a lot of crap, overpriced crap, misleadingly-cheap crap with hugely inflated shipping costs, and so on, but I persevered and found a nice super-cheap lot with free shipping. MORE YARN FOR ME, YAY.

Yarn in ebay is a very dangerous game. Shipping costs are crazy (It does not cost fifteen loving dollars to ship three balls of yarn) but if you can find a good deal go for it.

Of course, this means we're all going to head to ebay right now and get in bidding wars with each other.