Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midnite
May 10, 2003

It's all in the wrist
If you want to learn ALL about animation, inverse kinematics, locomotion/gait, etc. than I heavily recommend looking at this page:

http://graphics.ucsd.edu/courses/cse169_w04/

It's a UCSD course webpage for CSE169. There are PDFs and PowerPoint slides there. Grab the PowerPoint slides and just start reading through them. They are easy reads, but read like a book (unlike a lot of PPT presentations where you need someone talking to explain what the slide means). You will learn a great deal about animation, blending, etc. I lucked out finding it with Google sometime ago.

As a bonus, there are Calculus, Linear Algebra and Quaternion reviews in the slides if you are rusty (or had never learned), just to make sure you have the math you need also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnite
May 10, 2003

It's all in the wrist

MasterSlowPoke posted:

edit: Im at my wit's end with this, I can't get the model to flip back, the only way to get it to display right it to flip everything in the editor.

Does the editor work in the same handedness and coordinate system you are? You might have to do some conversion on export to convert from right-handed to left-handed or vice-versa. Does the positive X, Y and Z axis go in the same directions are in your engine? If not you'll have to flip the necessary coordinates in your verts, normals and rotations.

midnite
May 10, 2003

It's all in the wrist

Mithaldu posted:

Thanks guys, problems identified:

Had the front clipping plane FAR too close, because i dislike how things look when the camera clips through stuff and the front plane is too far away from it. That's irrelevant for this project though. :)

Yea, the near clipping plane really controls the accuracy of your depth buffer. It's best to keep it as far out as you can push it and just make sure you camera can't get that close to the geometry.

It's funny because in Descent we did the rotation/projection math in such a way (this was before hardware transform and lighting) that the near plane was actually at zero. I loved Descents transformation and projection system but it just doesn't work out with hardware stuff.