Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

Kasan posted:

I can vouch for this. I've only been welding for about 4 year and I know I still have a long way to go in terms of technique and consistency.

I've burned about 80 lbs of stick so far in the last 5 months and my welds are at the best of times inconsistent.

Welding 101: I hope you loving love grinding.

edit: I have a small project I have to work on tomorrow. If I remember to, I'll take some pictures of it.

The frame is kind of bent from years of abuse, and the baskets are in such poor shape that they don't stay in anymore. I'm gonna use some 3/32nd 6011 and my Miller 160/225 AC/DC to weld some metal tabs to the baskets in order to keep them in their place.

Kiyanis fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Kiyanis posted:

I've burned about 80 lbs of stick so far in the last 5 months and my welds are at the best of times inconsistent.

Welding 101: I hope you loving love grinding.

edit: I have a small project I have to work on tomorrow. If I remember to, I'll take some pictures of it.

The frame is kind of bent from years of abuse, and the baskets are in such poor shape that they don't stay in anymore. I'm gonna use some 3/32nd 6011 and my Miller 160/225 AC/DC to weld some metal tabs to the baskets in order to keep them in their place.

.... what is it? I can't quite figure out its function by looking at it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Linux Assassin posted:

.... what is it? I can't quite figure out its function by looking at it.

It's one of those dealies they attach to a tractor at a golf driving range. The wheels pick up the golf balls and deposit them in the baskets.

Also known as the "QUICK THERE HE IS, OPEN FIRE" mobile target device.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aha, of course. I was looking at it as a piece of farm equipment, thinking "that's awfully small for a disc harrow, and what on earth are those baskets for?"

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Wicaeed posted:

Maybe related to this thread:

How does one go about getting a custom piece of metal fabricated?

I have a computer chair whose arms I have removed, leaving two slots that I can mount something in. I would like to have something fabricated that I can then use to put a HOTAS joytick/throttle combo on each side of the chair for my flight sim sperging.

The more I think about it the more I realize I have absolutely no idea how to even begin making something to accomplish this.

Older post I know, but I may be able to help you out, depending what you're looking for. If it's just a flat plate with some slots and holes, and you can sketch up what you want, shoot me a PM.

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

Slung Blade posted:

Also known as the "QUICK THERE HE IS, OPEN FIRE" mobile target device.

I can confirm from personal experience that this is true.

It took me ~9 hours to do everything I needed to do to that thing. I ended up doing way more stuff to it than just making little tabs for holding the baskets in.

I didn't get any pictures. The weather started off very hot and humid leaving me kind of miserable, then turned into a sudden brutal thunderstorm because it likes to do that in the south.

I started off by bending some of the basket wire back into place and tacking it using 3/32 6011 @ 40 Amps, DCEP. After a few hours of doing that to all 6 baskets, I took some 6x4 inch 1/4 thick coupons I had for practicing on and cut them into 24 tabs with an oxy/acy torch. I welded the tabs, two to the back of each basket, and two to the front with the amps slightly higher to about 45-50, and I focused on keeping most of the arc going into the 1/4 plate and just letting the puddle kind of melt over into the basket wire.

The right side of the gang picker kind of drooped down a few inches, so I ground off the bracket holding the right gang on, and re-attached it with a slight 10-degree angle to level it back out. That should help keep keep the baskets on the right side from hitting the ground nearly as often. This was also the hardest part because the metal of the frame was REALLY thin and I had to fight not to blow through it at 35-40 amps DCEN. I eventually did get it all back together though, and it is level and the baskets don't have to have sticks going through them to stay held up, so mission accomplished.

Golf course maintenance, the one job I've had that uses every single thing I learned from my tech. college industrial maintenance courses. I've still got a 480v motor control center (full of wasps) to work on, the lake-fill pump that fills the primary lake isn't running anymore, and all the irrigation comes out of that lake. 9$ an hour, woo. :smith:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Kiyanis posted:

full of wasps

I suggest talking to 13 INCH over in AI. He's very familiar with infestations. Maybe he could lend you some spiders.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Kiyanis posted:

The weather started off very hot and humid leaving me kind of miserable, then turned into a sudden brutal thunderstorm because it likes to do that in the south.

North Carolina or South Carolina

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

Aha, of course. I was looking at it as a piece of farm equipment, thinking "that's awfully small for a disc harrow, and what on earth are those baskets for?"

It's a prototype for Farm Simulator 2015

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

Kasan posted:

North Carolina or South Carolina

NE Mississippi.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Kiyanis posted:

NE Mississippi.

Oh god, you have it worse than we do (NC) I tried to do some smithing yesterday during the lull in the monsoon we've been having and almost had a heat stroke from the heat and humidity.

Edit:

I'm in the market for an inexpensive propane torch (or rig that I can hook up to a grill sized propane tank) that I can use for spot tempering/heat treating/soldering/welding/maybe cutting of really thin stuff like 1/8th rod.

Any suggestions? Emphasis on the inexpensive part, I've got maybe $80 I could throw at it.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Did a commission. Police badge from an (online anime thing??) called Inferno Cop.

Tried a new technique- just chasing, no repousse. I domed some pattern-scribed heavy brass sheet to compensate for my too-soft supporting pitch and sunk the pattern with no raising-from-the-reverse step, and filled the sunken recesses with ashphaltum (the client didn't want the usual liver of sulfur/mordant-darkened and sealed background, and I can't fire enamel and I've had very shaky + inconsistent results with paints n varnishes. asphaltum is stable and obscures minor mistakes and bad form in a way thinner coatings don't, it's a traditional repousse backing material for high contrast on signage et al that's fallen by the wayside). Tbh I really liked the unsealed/unbacked look-

There's a couple really bad misstrikes and mistakes that I couldn't conceal but the original was designed to look kind of rough n ragged so *shrug*

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 2, 2014

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Dang that looks really good. I may have to commission a logo once I get a little further in my trumpet making.

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?
drat Ambrose, that is incredible. I would love to learn to that skill. It would add some amazing details.

My husband finished editing my last video. I am not known for my fabrication. Any suggestions, useful hints and such, please let me know. I am anxious to improve my skills in this area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHLdl362SRU

Edit: The title cards were messed up. Finally they are fixed.

ArtistCeleste fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 7, 2014

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Thanks. My stuff is definitely getting better, even if it's largely due to making new tools to do this or that more accurately. like, chasing-only repousse uses sharper-edged repousse punches, or so I've read, and I didn't worry about it too much at first, but it turns out to make a huge difference in terms of controlling he punch's travel- the edging of the outer border was done with an older 'sled' punch, the outlining on everything else with a purpose-made marginally-smaller punch of the exact same design that was just a little crisper and less rounded off- and look at how ragged the former edging is, and how clean it is on the inner sunken stuff.

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?
How long did that take you? Any chance of some visuals of your process? I would at least like to see what your tools look like.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What's the appropriate thing to do with the chutes on the back of a bench grinder? This is in a wood shop, the grinder is used like 99.9% of the time for sharpening gouges for the lathe. I just don't want it spitting black out the back all over my bench, so I'm wondering if I can direct the chutes into some sort of container or what. I know hooking it up to my dust collection is strictly verboten.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Bad Munki posted:

What's the appropriate thing to do with the chutes on the back of a bench grinder? This is in a wood shop, the grinder is used like 99.9% of the time for sharpening gouges for the lathe. I just don't want it spitting black out the back all over my bench, so I'm wondering if I can direct the chutes into some sort of container or what. I know hooking it up to my dust collection is strictly verboten.

Cap it and suck the poo poo out with a shopvac every time you re-dress the wheel.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Bad Munki posted:

I know hooking it up to my dust collection is strictly verboten.

wait what why

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Sparks + sawdust = a bad day.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

TerminalSaint posted:

Sparks + sawdust = a bad day.

oooo I guess that would be a problem in a real dust collector system as opposed to the ghetto "tie a shopvac to it" thing I have.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Even my shop vac would be a bad idea because it's full of sawdust too. With a nice tornado inside the canister to whip the flames up and suddenly you have a flame jet shooting out the back of your vac.

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

Bad Munki posted:

With a nice tornado inside the canister to whip the flames up and suddenly you have a flame jet shooting out the back of your vac.

I like how you managed to make a really bad thing sound like something you want to happen.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kiyanis posted:

I like how you managed to make a really bad thing sound like something you want to happen.

"I accidentally made a blast furnace out of my shop vac. Looking for advice on how to proceed."

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

"I accidentally made a blast furnace out of my shop vac. Looking for advice on how to proceed."

Now I want to actually do this ;_;. A couple of my friends in the SCA actually do their own foundry work with bloom furnaces. I got to attend a session one of them did openly and it was amazing to see magnetite turn into usable iron.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Today I made this:

Into this:

Fire action shot, because I can:

Trying to make a nakiri (Japanese veggie knife) - Still working on thinning the entire thing. Spine is about 4 mm thick, aiming for 2.5-3 mm.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

ArtistCeleste posted:

How long did that take you? Any chance of some visuals of your process? I would at least like to see what your tools look like.

Too long, things went very slowly at first 'cause I'm unfamiliar with the technique and because I made a couple big mistakes, including knocking a bottle of mineral spirits over onto an almost-finished pitch backing and erasing a couple hours' worth of work :suicide: Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10-15 hours of steady work, I'd say.

And yeah, I took some pictures while I was working on it, I wanted to use 'em for my big chasing/repousse post I'm writing (which is NOT dead) but I think I'll hold off because it isn't actually representative of typical front-and-back work.

The original image I had to work with.

People do template transfer all sorts of ways, I strongly prefer physical scribing because scribed lines survive smudging and flame + give you a raised edge you can feel and follow with the punch to aid accuracy. I go real simple- print the template out to the final desired size, glue to metal, cut straight through the paper with a cheapo hobby knife (much easier to do straight clean lines with a knife than an actual round scriber).

(first gently caress-up: scribed the I in as an L 'cause the template confused me)

For this particular project I decided to colour in the to-be-left-raised portions with a Sharpie, to make the complex areas less confusing and less likely to suffer unfixable work in the wrong place on account of confusion, which is a thing that can happen real easy.

The actual chasing in progress; first I outlined the to-be-raised portions, and then sunk everything else, because accurately controlling the travel of a chisel-type lining punch is so much easier than a big fat sled punch. You work from the outside in to keep the project flat for as long as possible; it started out domed concave and by this point was already starting to curl up convex around the edges. It shouldn't collapse this quickly, but front-only chasing requires a hard pitch, and I only work with an (excellent) medium-hardness pitch.

Another shot of the badge before the edges were ground clean and round and I applied the asphaltum backing.

Bonus shot of the pin I wizarded up:

I really, really hate soldering, maybe because all I have fuel for at the moment is a plumbing torch. So I thunk and thunk and came up with a way to, not, have to do that thing. I worked a bayonet lock into the design- the curled tip of the pin 'handle' can overlap the first brass socket, but only if it's fully inserted with the handle perpendicular to the badge body, because the socket edges are flared all around except for a spot where I filed it down. Once it's in, and you rotate the pin up or down, the handle wire is locked into the 'channel' created by the flared socket edges, and can't be withdrawn.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I had an amazing experience at the last day of my blacksmithing class. This is a long post, and the good part doesn't even start until about halfway through, but I think it’s worth the read.

Quick recap, I've been blacksmithing on my own since around March of this year. I set up a small forge, bought some tools, and watched a lot of youtube videos. In the past few months, I think I've gotten a decent handle on the basics. I can taper, scroll, etc. The downside is, my setup isn't the best (among other things, my anvil is tiny) and I have no idea if I'm actually doing things right. Sure I can replicate results, but am I doing all the little things correctly? It's satisfying when I get things right, but very frustrating when I waste an afternoon trying something more advanced.

I've also found it's a very good hobby for chilly weather, but miserable when it's hot. My idea of Heaven would be working as a swordsmith in Valhalla : frosty snow outside, good steel inside, and topless Viking maidens come to visit frequently. I want to see snowflakes falling onto the anvil and melting as I work. As it gets hotter, I find myself less and less eager to go out and forge.

Hell would be an eternity spent smithing for an ancient Arab kingdom. Hot all the time, probably making something boring like horseshoes, and all the women are covered head to toe.

There is a place in Providence called The Steel Yard. They're a non profit artists studio specializing in metalwork. They have classes on jewelry making, welding, fabrication, and blacksmithing. I figured, with all the time and money I've spent on my home setup, what's a little more money to make sure I'm doing everything right? I signed up a few months ago for the June "Intro to Blacksmithing" class. 4 Thursdays, 3 hours each session.

The last week was one I didn't want to miss. One of my goals as a smith has always been to make knives and axes. I've made a fillet knife from a lawnmower blade, but it was more stock removal with a tiny bit of forging. The one thing that always trips me up is forge welding. I've attempted it many times at home, but I've only gotten it ever to work once, and I've wasted a lot of metal trying. I mentioned that to the instructor on day one, and she said on the last class we could cover forge welding. I've been looking forward to this class ever since.

I decided I'd bring in some of my own metal. I grabbed a lawnmower blade, a piece of mild steel, and a piece of 1095 steel I'd bought on ebay. The instructor was happy to help out. After she walked the class through their project, she took my pieces and made me a little billet. A few minutes with a plasma cutter, a flap wheel, and a welder, and I had a billet that was about 4 inches long, an inch wide, and 2 inches tall. It looked like a book with a few loose pages, as the hand cut pieces didn’t all line up perfectly She then welded a long handle of rebar to it, and passed it back to me.

I decided I would use the gas forges first. They are set to a temp that's great for forging, but won't burn the metal. You could leave a piece in all day and it wouldn't burn, just glow orange hot until the gas ran out. Once I got the billet evenly warmed up I would transfer it to the coal forge.

Since The Steel Yard is first and foremost an artist’s space, there are always random people working on this or that. Today, two gentleman were hanging out at the coal forge. One was a hipster looking guy making some tongs, and the other was grumpy looking with a long bushy beard. I introduced myself to the hipster guy, Nick, and told him what I planned on doing. I didn't want to interfere with his work. To my surprise, he said he'd put his project away and help me out with mine. I told him that wasn't necessary, but he insisted.

Once my billet was an even orange all over, I moved it to the coal forge. Nick kept an eye on me, reminding me to turn the billet every now and then, and occasionally fussing with the fire. In the meantime, he would speak to the grumpy looking bearded guy. They weren't speaking English, and with all the noise I couldn't figure out what they might be speaking. I could tell that Nick was asking advice about our project. Once the billet started to get hot, they both came over. Nick said "The first time, you just want soft taps. Don't hit it very hard. Let's flux it now, put it back in, then get ready to do the weld after it's hot."

I applied some borax, put it back in the fire, and in no time it was a bright yellow. Time for those first taps. When I returned the metal to the fire, Nick told me that the next heat would need strikers.

The bearded guy took over fire management, and Nick walked off. I introduced myself to the guy with the beard. His name was Freddy, but that's all I got through the language barrier. Nick returned, holding two massive sledgehammers.

"When it gets hot, you're just gonna hold the piece here, and we'll hammer," Nick said as he and Freddy lined up on the other side of the anvil. Nick said it was ready, so I took out the billet and set it on the anvil.

It didn't go well. Every time they hit the billet, the handle would jump from my grip, so either the next hammer blow would strike the anvil directly, or they'd stop and wait for me to reset. By the time the billet was cold again, they'd barely gotten 5 good strikes in.

Freddy grabbed a scrap piece of steel and showed me the position to use as the one holding the billet. Turns out he's Russian, and Nick was able to translate for me. You don't just casually hold the metal on the anvil and wish your strikers luck.

Nick said "The strikers are going to aim for the same spot on the anvil, every time," as Freddy drew an X on the anvil with soapstone. "Your job is to move the metal around so we hit it in the order you want us to. Some people start in the middle and work out, others start at one end and try to push the slag out as they go. It's your project, so it's up to you, just make sure it makes sense to us." We practiced as the metal heated back up.

"We'll go down one side and up, then I'll flip and we'll do it again. Sound good?" I said.
Nick translated and they both nodded.

I'd like to add that I have a love-hate relationship with certain safety gear, and as the temperature rises, that needle swings more to hate. Tonight it was hot, around 90 degrees and so humid it felt like you could wring water from the air itself. I like my eyes, and not being blind is an important part of my job as a photographer. I hate safety goggles, though, because as I sweat, it drips into the goggles and I can't see. Gloves can be nice, but they don't REALLY protect you from metal that's hot, and I find they make my hands too slippery for hammering. Heavy pants? Great, except it's a million degrees in here. Leather boots? Sure, I need my toes unburnt and uncrushed, but do they have to swim in their own self made soup for 4 hours? Most of the time, I wear safety glasses when I'm doing actual work (forging, grinding, etc) and then put them in a shirt pocket when the iron goes back into the fire. I might wear a glove on one hand just to protect from sparks and radiant heat, but sometimes it's not worth it.

Nick said the steel was ready. I took a deep breath, and tried to really focus. I've read a couple of fantasy stories, I've watched Star Wars enough times; I know how to focus. I pushed all my distractions away, grabbed the handle with both hands, and set the glowing billet on the anvil.

I held the handle firmly, focusing on the spot where Freddy drew the X. The first few strikes were gentle; just lifting the hammer up a foot or so, and letting gravity bring it down. When my strikers realized I wasn't going to let the billet get bounced around like last time, they started swinging harder.

At first the hammers just bounced off the billet with a dull "tink." But that "tink" got louder and louder. They were raising the hammers higher and higher. Sparks started to come off the billet with each strike, flying past my hands and face. Initially I panicked; I don't have gloves, I don't even have a long sleeved shirt! Then the focused part of my mind spoke up. "Don’t make these guys stop just as they're getting into it. You've got safety goggles on, you'll be fine. It's just sparks, don't be a pussy."

With that decision made, I started to move the billet. Nick and Freddy fell into a rhythm and swung their hammers hard. They were each swinging 12 pound sledges, and the "tink" grew into a booming, ringing sound that echoed off the walls. Sparks went everywhere, bouncing off my hands, my arms, and my face, but I didn't flinch. The fat little notebook of metal was being transformed into a smooth, sleek rectangle of glowing orange. I could hear different sounds now in each strike; the face of the hammer hitting the metal, then the anvil resonating with it's higher pitched song, answered by the dull echo coming off the walls. The sun had set, and we hadn't turned on many lights. Just the fire from the forge, the glowing metal, and the sparks cascading from every strike. I realized that I was getting the opportunity to learn from two people who had obvious experience. It felt amazing, and at that moment, there was almost nothing to separate me from an apprentice working in a shop a thousand years ago. I was consumed in the moment, and nothing else mattered except that piece of steel. The sounds and the sights drove out everything else, and for a few moments, I had no other thoughts.

Eventually the metal cooled enough that they both stopped, and I put it back in the fire. Everyone else; the students, the instructor, had stopped to watch what we were doing, and all three of us were thrilled with the results. The billet was an even color, no marks or dark spots where the different pieces used to be. Just one even color, which is an excellent sign that the weld was successful.

We alternated jobs for a bit, but I didn't strike. I just watched as we went through drawing it out, folding it, welding it again, and by the time we were about to do the 3rd weld, I could tell that they were getting tired from wielding those sledges. I didn’t just stand around waiting, though. I paid close attention to everything that Nick and Freddy did, from how they fiddled with the fire to the way Freddy made sure the billet was always straight and true.

Turns out, they are both international teachers. They were in Providence to do a demo; Freddy is famous for making animal and people sculptures out of iron, using only traditional blacksmithing techniques. Nick is a teacher at a school in Bogota, but works with Freddy and came to Providence with him. Once I realized Freddy spoke Spanish, we were able to communicate, and I was able to get to know him a lot better. They both thought it was cool to make Damascus steel, and were happy to help me out. But, late into the evening, I could tell they were getting tired of striking.

I grew up splitting firewood. I don't consider myself all that macho; I fix computers for a living and I pay to get my oil changed. But you want a sledgehammerin' contest? I was splitting logs and stumps with an 8lb sledge when I was 10 years old. I got this.

At this point, we'd folded the billet once and welded it again. It had been drawn out and folded, and the first heat of light taps were done. While we were waiting for it to heat back up, I practiced striking. There's a bit of an art to it, especially working with someone else. Nick and Freddy had obviously worked together a lot, as they fell into a rhythm instantly. In addition to timing it corectly, you can't swing the hammer the way you would if you were alone. You've got to move your hammer out of the way so the next guy can hit where he’s aiming, not your hammer. We practiced a bit; Freddy held a scrap piece while Nick and I got our rhythm down.

Finally, it was time. Glasses on, in position, hammer raised... At first it was light hammer taps, kinda slow... Then harder, and faster. Soon,I was putting my back and shoulders into it, lifting the sledge high and smashing it down onto the billet. Once again the shop rang and echoed, but this time I was the one making the anvil ring; I was making the walls echo, I was the one forcing that steel into the shape I wanted. I was molding metal to my will, with fire and sweat and skill. I don't know how long it lasted, but I kept pace with Nick. Every strike hit true, and when the metal went back into the fire we all cheered and congratulated each other.

I imagine, to someone watching, I was just a sweaty middle aged guy swinging a hammer. I didn't feel that way, though. I felt like I could have been in a castle somewhere, perhaps in a smithy overlooking a fjord in the 11th century, or working for a Daimyo in Feudal Japan. Not only was I doing something using almost entirely traditional methods (plasma cutting and welding aside, I know, but that's why I said "almost"), but those methods were working. I was doing it WELL! I was finally doing the one step that, before tonight, has always eluded me.

We did two more heats; by the end of the third one my tired arms could not accurately swing the sledge anymore and I didn't want anyone to get hurt. Nick was tired but could have kept going. I guess doing this for a few years gives you impressive endurance! It getting was late, and we didn't want to start the whole process again. We cleaned up, let the billet cool, and I brought it home with me.

I'm about to leave on a vacation, but as soon as I get back, I will try to put another fold or two in that billet and then decide what I'm going to make. I can't say I made it "all by myself," as the help I received was invaluable, but I can say I worked on every single step. I can't wait to make the anvil ring again, smell the coal smoke, and listen to the walls echo with hammer strikes.

Pagan fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 5, 2014

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?
That was a great story. Nothing compares to really good instruction. In my experience that blacksmiths are all like that. All of them want to help and support each other and will take time out of their day to do that. Sounds like you got a good welcome to the community.

I have to admit your aversion to safety glasses makes me cringe. Imagine if a piece of that hammer broke off when they hit the anvil. Shards like that can and will go flying through the air like a bullet. We had an instructor get impaled with a shard so deep that the doctors couldn't remove it with forceps and they just left it in him. Toby Hickman told a similar story in one of his classes, except this shard went all the way through someone. I was doing bronze casting and a group of students were breaking open their shells. I was about 20 feet away and a piece of hot shell hit me right in the eye. It felt like my entire eye was on fire. It was more than 10 minutes in the eye bath before I could open it. I seriously thought I was blind in that eye for 10 minutes. I had a friend at CCA who witnessed a girl's safety glasses get impaled by a shard of metal from across the room. We have a pair of glasses where I work that has a spot melted right in the center of the glasses. It is circled and captioned "wear your safety glasses".

Sorry for the rant. When you work with other people you get to benefit from all of their horror stories.

One more thing. It's not good to leave your tool steel in a hot gas forge for too long. It will build up scale. Depending on the alloy you can burn part of your alloy, making hardening problematic and you will experience grain growth at higher temperatures that is less problematic if you continually forge it.

I feel like this sounds harsh after your epic and uplifting post. So I will also say that team striking is an incredible experience. It is about as much fun as you can have while blacksmithing and it sounded like you got to learn it from some amazing smiths. And after all these years, I have still not forge welded. I will finally learn at a hammer-in in September. It will be nice to have another option for joining metal, especially for decorative items.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

ArtistCeleste posted:

That was a great story. Nothing compares to really good instruction. In my experience that blacksmiths are all like that. All of them want to help and support each other and will take time out of their day to do that. Sounds like you got a good welcome to the community.

I have to admit your aversion to safety glasses makes me cringe. Imagine if a piece of that hammer broke off when they hit the anvil. Shards like that can and will go flying through the air like a bullet. We had an instructor get impaled with a shard so deep that the doctors couldn't remove it with forceps and they just left it in him. Toby Hickman told a similar story in one of his classes, except this shard went all the way through someone. I was doing bronze casting and a group of students were breaking open their shells. I was about 20 feet away and a piece of hot shell hit me right in the eye. It felt like my entire eye was on fire. It was more than 10 minutes in the eye bath before I could open it. I seriously thought I was blind in that eye for 10 minutes. I had a friend at CCA who witnessed a girl's safety glasses get impaled by a shard of metal from across the room. We have a pair of glasses where I work that has a spot melted right in the center of the glasses. It is circled and captioned "wear your safety glasses".

Sorry for the rant. When you work with other people you get to benefit from all of their horror stories.

One more thing. It's not good to leave your tool steel in a hot gas forge for too long. It will build up scale. Depending on the alloy you can burn part of your alloy, making hardening problematic and you will experience grain growth at higher temperatures that is less problematic if you continually forge it.

I feel like this sounds harsh after your epic and uplifting post. So I will also say that team striking is an incredible experience. It is about as much fun as you can have while blacksmithing and it sounded like you got to learn it from some amazing smiths. And after all these years, I have still not forge welded. I will finally learn at a hammer-in in September. It will be nice to have another option for joining metal, especially for decorative items.

I am used to forging by myself, and I hadn't thought about how other people's stuff could send metal flying across the room. But it's a good point; I'll keep them on.

And as far as the gas forge, I wouldn't leave metal unattended all day, I just figured that was a good way of saying "your metal will never burn in this gas forge." I was worried that in the coal forge, the outer layers would burn before the middle got up to temp. Gas forge struck me as a great way to get around that problem.

I'm glad you like the story. It was an amazing experience, and I hope my story communicates that.

Pagan fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 5, 2014

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
found some old roach clips I made ages ago buried in a big pile of aluminium chips and grinder belt dust.

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?

Ambrose Burnside posted:

found some old roach clips I made ages ago buried in a big pile of aluminium chips and grinder belt dust.

I love the chain. Is it just twisted and flattened? What material did you use?

FYI- That video I posted is finally fixed, if anyone cares.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I watched your video and I liked it. I didn't have anything really to say beyond that, so I didn't comment, but you deserve to have positive comments, so here is one!

Also, I don't know if you know Lee at the Crucible, but I was at his wedding last weekend. He's a cool guy so you should say hi if you haven't.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

ArtistCeleste posted:

I love the chain. Is it just twisted and flattened? What material did you use?

FYI- That video I posted is finally fixed, if anyone cares.

It's twisted and hammered brass wire. iirc I used a drift punch to spread the last 'eye' in the twist out and then forged n formed the excess down to make the jaws.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pagan posted:

I had an amazing experience at the last day of my blacksmithing class.

Fantastic story and well written. Seems like something I would hear on NPR.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Pagan, I added a link in the op to your story, it really is a wondrous thing, thank you for sharing.

Also, something else new :v:

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 8, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My brother and I have identical bottom-end Lincoln FCAW machines. His never works quite right, mine just trips a breaker if I ask too much of it. I can't quite put it into words what his is doing wrong, but it's probably because he's plugging it into a 50-foot extension cord, isn't it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Pagan posted:

That story.

That's a great story man. I wish we had a maker space in Edmonton. Since my career has grown away from welding and into QA/QC I get the urge now and then to go make things with metal.

Also wear safety gear oh god!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

SmokeyXIII posted:

I wish we had a maker space in Edmonton.

Good news!
http://ents.ca