Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Metal working questions

When filing/shaping aluminum, is there some trick to not fouling your file other than keeping a piece of scrap steel at hand to run your file over once in a while?

Vinegar seems to free/gets the corrosion of brass and bronze. I have heard that the way to free seized/corroded aluminum is with ammonia, but I have never gotten this to work. Are there other tricks for dealing with corroded aluminum? Does ammonia actually work?

EDIT: \/\/\/ Thanks for the tips. I have never used a grinder on Aluminum, but I never knew about that explosion problem.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Astrolite posted:

You can never have too many files.

Ok if we are talking files here, can someone gives me advice on just how you are supposed to make it so that the metal part does not fall out of the handle?

Am I just using cheap-o files?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

How are your files coming out anyway? You shouldn't be putting any force into them on the return stroke, it should just skip over the surface of whatever you're filing.

A-HA. I did not know that you were only supposed to file on the push. This is exactly why my files keep falling out.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Has anyone ever heard of Duro welding holders?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

What options are there realistically for someone who lives in an apartment to set up a metalworking space somewhere? Are there collectives which share the rent on a big space where noise and FIRE! are all ok? I imagine that there are artist collectives some places for stuff like this, but that may just be a dream.

(Also shout-out to Atomic Zombie and Shelton Brown (RIP) for inspiring mad bicycle creating lust.)

Also to ask even more impossible questions: Has anyone in Japan ever seen these sort of co-op areas available? Do any of the Vulcans in this thread live in Japan? Can a 100 volt Japanese MIG welder have any sort of not immediately obvious power restriction that a 110V US MIG welder does not?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

dv6speed posted:

For example, I know a guy who rents a huge shop for $100 a month to build his boat.

What area is that in?

(For bike building I probably will never even hit 1/8 plate. Will it still hold me back?)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Ok I apparently have from now until december to kill some time, and I have a garage to use. I want to braze some bicycle frames together to make a tandem, and I guees I want to be able to weld some other poo poo on there.

I will have to abandon the gear in December, and I have no experience at all. And obviously no gear. I can probably take the helmet, but the welder is going to be left behind.

Tell me what I need to buy, and how it will cost me new. (mainland US)

Also if brazing is just a bad idea, and I should just use a MIG welder that's OK too.

I have no idea if I will ever have this opportunity again, so don't worry about long-term things like a TIG might leave me with more options down the road.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

dv6speed posted:

I have to be honest, I don't know if it's worth it to get all your stuff just to abandon it in December. By the time you just get everything together and learn how to use it, it'll be time to go.

Edit: Note about using O/A welding for bicycles, I know for a fact that bicycle's require fillet welds. This is the one type of weld that O/A has some difficulty doing well. A good O/A fillet weld can be done, but requires great operator skill.

I I want to at least try some to do this at a time when I know I will have a garage to do it in.

http://www.atomiczombie.com/

http://sheldonbrown.com/tandem-build.html

I will in all likelihood never be in one place long enough with a garage to even do this again. I am not working right now so I have nothing but free time (or at leaast completely flexible time.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 19, 2008

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

dv6speed posted:

Never is a long time! What sort of life will you be leading that will make it impossible for you to get access to a shop?

I am just basing it on my life up until now. Apartment living in Hawaii and JApan.

My goal is not to really have a bike at the end (since I would have to recycle it anyway). It is to see if some ideas I have work.

Part of me says MIG because spitting a bunch of Joining metal seems like the kind of approach that suits me. Another part says O/A because you can always drag that out to a beach somewhere (assuming Hawaii) adnd do some welding. TIG is the obvious way to go, but I will not be working in AL (no way to heat treat it) or Titanium (I do not actually have that much faith in my design ideas). Stick welder may be the only available choice once I get to Japan, because of the licensing needed to purchase gas.

My raw material will be junk bikes which alread have matching curve that make brazing doable for at least some of the joins. Others will need actual wedling.

Please poke and prod, and make me get excited about it, or realize it is pointless. I do have some time here to kill. I'm waiting for something to clear probate, not really working, bored stiff and thought hey the metal thread people can tell me what to do, or that I should not even try it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I was talking to a welder dude the other day and he said that basically O/A or Torch welding is a dying art, not being taught in the tech schools anymore.

(What's the proper term for that O/A or torch?)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

If I wanted one of you metal gods to make me a stainless rod with a loop in one end what would it cost me?

16" long, with a 1" diameter closed loop in the end, 1/4" diameter rod.

(316 stainless)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

By closed loop, do you mean continuously closed? as in no break in the material anywhere?

If not, it's fairly easy to bend into a circle at the end of a rod.

If so, it's a whole other ball game. One of us would have to either forge weld it to itself, not easy with stainless, or upset it, flatten it, and punch it.

All possible, except maybe the forge welding stainless bit, I don't know how to do that, but it depends. What do you need it for?

I mentioned this in the PMs but I need a closed eye

Welding the eye shut is fine. I just need it closed.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

(Sorry that was dv6speed who PM'd me.)

The loop only matters so I can put a split ring on it, and the Split ring will not come off. It will not need a great amount of strength. And the alignment does not matter at all. But the rod portion does need to be straight.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Ah, ok. Any particular reason for stainless? Other than appearance?

It's going to be used in salt water all the time. I'd go with Aluminum but it bends a little too easily.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

SmokeyXIII posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8qfu-ojTQ

3:18 shows the soap part.

You should post some pictures of your pipe work, I'm really interested in seeing how you're doing. I find it totally amazing how fast you've learned what you have considering how our apprenticeship system works here.

That is a cool video. I love that show in general. It's interesting to hear the pronunciation of 'solder'. (I think the show is from Quebec, produced with Canadian film money).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

So ever since I started sharing the fun I've been having with my friends and co-workers, requests and projects have been coming in faster than I can handle.

Things waiting to get done:
Plant hanger for a friend.
Top and bottom fuller for me.
Heavy bottom fuller for me out of an 11 dollar trailer hitch (pictures to follow)
Candle snuffer for a friend.
Finish the table I posted earlier.
12 downspout supports for my parents.
3 RR spike knives for friends.
Courting candle for a friend.
Flower vase for a friend.
Frame to put a big rear end cast-iron mailbox on the deck for my mother.
Candelabra for my mother.

Man I knew people would want things made but holy poo poo :psyduck:

It's not surprising to me at all. I am in AWE of what you guys can do. Every picture posted in this thread makes me envious of the skills you have, and also makes me want to get something made.

Welding and blacksmithing/metalworking are absolutely god-like.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Can you get it hot enough with a torch to bend it? I assume a Bernzo torch is a propane torch?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Small grinding questions:

Can I safely switch the direction of the grinding wheel? It's a tiny grinder and I have worn one edge much more than the other.

I'm using this grinder if it matters:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43533

Also on this grinder I am going through the fiber wheel fast, and got a replacement set of wheels
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43758

Is the fiber wheel something I am likely to find by itself? Or is that grinder just too small to get replacement wheels anywhere but at Harbor Freight?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Linux Assassin posted:

3" grinding wheel, for the amount of effort you'd put into even constantly reversing the wheel as it gets worn on one side you could get a n 8" grinding wheel that will last much longer and for which wheels are very cheap and readily available. An 8" grinder that has two wheels on it already should only cost you about $50 <it will not be an excellent one at that price, but will likely 'feel' better then the results your getting from your 3" now>

replacement 8" wheels will cost you about the same ammount as those replacement 3" ones.

I know you are right, but where I am staying right now, the 'management'does not like big equipment.

If there was a change in management, and I could get an 8 incher, where could I find a fiber wheel, like I linked above, but sized as an 8"? I have not seen fiber wheels at Home Depot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Are there actually wheels made for grinding aluminum? (I have never used a grinding wheel on aluminum, just a file. And it clogs the file so fast.)

Actually come to think of this question, are there files made for aluminum?