Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

So I finally upgraded to a Nova G3 from a tiny weak lathe chuck that barely held anything longer than 5"
I'm so excited to actually be able to turn bowls.

I don't really know why I thought that original one would be any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Bad Munki posted:

For the record, that was with 6013 1/8" stick, on a chunk of 1/4" thick welding steel. I think I hard the welder set to 105? I'm not looking at it right now but I think it steps from 105 to 120, I had it at one of those two.

Will probably be playing with it more through the weekend, I'll be back with future results, thanks!

Is it worth taking a torch to the metal to preheat things first, or is my biggest hindering factor just myself at this point?
I feel like its less an amperage problem and more a travel speed problem. 105 to 120 should be a fine range on 1/4"

For most stick welding you're dragging the molten puddle along in front of the slag.

For a good bead in flat position you pretty much want the slag following along immediately behind the molten puddle. If you see the slag start to move forward and wrap around the edges of the puddle to the front you're moving too slow.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Yooper posted:

I don't get it.

So, uh, it squishes a bag and juice comes out? The bearings on that thing are bigger than half of my grinding machines. Some nice mill work too.

But still, $400, am I missing something?

Pretty sure their plan was to sell the juicer itself at a loss and make up for that and then some in the sales of fruit/veg bags to juice.

I feel like I remember reading that in order to buy the juicer you have to agree to buy 5 bags a week for a few months/weeks.

Edit: looking at their website a 5-pack of bags is $30

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

DreadLlama posted:

On the subject of ferrous alloys: Is there a happy medium between "dirt cheap" and "can be case hardened" that I could ask a metal supplier for? I'm leaning more towards cheap, but I don't want to be "that guy" who walks into a shop and asks for "mild steel" like it's an official designation.

edit: Is it A36? Or is it fancy and weird like A2?

I'm pretty sure A36 is what you're thinking of. Its the most common structural steel.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
The only CC/CV welding machines that I've heard good things about are the ESAB ones.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
This might be a bit of a long shot but this is the best thread to ask this in. I remember seeing a youtube video showing the forging process of various Apollo rocket parts especially the nose cone out of exotic metals like niobium. It was some vintage film that was mostly highlighting the giant forging presses involved. I got into a conversation with my metallurgy teacher about it after he mentioned the rocket nozzle materials at this firm he works at called Aerojet.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

MrPete posted:

That reminded me of this awesome video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHKbAq_RtIY

This is actually the exact video I was looking for! Thank you!

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
The only difficulty is making sure you don't get the steel hotter than probably 500 degrees so you don't ruin the hardening/temper

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

When does HSS start to lose hardness? The internet says varying things that I'm not sure I entirely understand, but I'm under the impression that normal steel oxidation/tempering colors don't apply to HSS? For instance if I ground a high carbon steel tool and the edge turned purple, I've ruined the temper in that area, but if I grind HSS and it turns purple it's still fine, right?

Your standard M2 HSS is tempered at around 1050F compared to 350F for a high carbon steel of similar hardness. The colors still correspond to the same temp ranges so I'd say you should start to worry about softening when your HSS turns a dull gray or black.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

rump buttman posted:

Thanks for the info. I dropped an aluminum block I have hours into and hosed up two corners. It's going to cost me a half day to drop it off at the welders. Stuff like this comes up a few times a year. There's a miller syncrowave at the shop collecting dust I'm thinking about learning. I'm trying to figure if I have the bandwidth to dedicate into getting good enough for simple stuff like fixing small dings in aluminum (6061, 7075) and steel (s7, p20, 4140, h13).

I'm leaning towards, I probably don't

Well carbon steels require the least practice as far as building decent technique if you're just aiming to be able to do buildup work. Afaik all those steels are weldable if you follow proper pre and post heat procedures and have the corresponding filler metal if you need to maintain the metallurgical properties.

Aluminum is another ballgame. For example, 7075 is not a weldable alloy as its notorious for cracking in the heat affected zone created by a weld bead. Welding aluminum can get complicated due to aluminum's much higher heat conductivity so you may require a preheat depending on the size of the damaged part. Then you also bring in the variables of AC current frequency, wave form, and balance and things start to become quite complicated. I'm not trying to dissuade you, just trying to give you a sense of what's involved. Both are very doable but there is much more to be learned for welding aluminum versus carbon steel.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

His Divine Shadow posted:

My solution, use a file to scrape the rod on before restarting.
Working welder here. This is what I did in school. I usually see people hitting the tip of the electrode to the metal hoping the slag eventually breaks but I feel like that gives a lot of opportunities to gently caress up your start.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Vim Fuego posted:

Cool (haha), thanks for the links. I'll pick up a speed square and see what kinda clamps are recommended.

Also, I'm using a 110v mig welder with gas. does anyone have a good video on getting good results with that? I also have a 220v stick welder, but I don't have an outlet for it in the workshop yet.

The Miller welding phone app gives decent settings based on welding process, material thickness, and then wire type which can be a good starting point but that's usually based on pure Voltage and Wire feed speed settings. Cheaper 110V machines tend to have generic 1-10 settings or letter based settings so if that's your case go with whatever your machine suggests based on material thickness if it has a corresponding guide typically inside the door cover where the wire spool goes. Those do err on the side of hotter welds to guarantee metal fusion so be careful especially if your material is thin. Also its never a bad idea to test your settings on scrap material.

If you want general MIG welding tips I've always liked the videos from Weld.com on Youtube and I'd suggest you start here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlmOb1tIJ4Y

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Vindolanda posted:

I’m idly thinking of putting together another folding knife, but this time one with a custom blade and spring. Is there such a thing as a service where I could upload a digital drawing/model and have hardened and tempered steel laser or water cut and sent to me? I’m thinking in the 2mm thick range, but being in a small mostly carpeted London flat rather limits my angle grinding and hardening capabilities. I can handle the fine shaping with diamond stones, but the overall outline is a challenge.

I havent heard of any companies that offer something with that much ease of service but you may be able to find some machine shops that would be willing to do small job work if you call around. Minimum part quantity for a given job could be an obstacle though.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Have any of you done plaster casting of aluminum?
I don't have access to a kiln to more properly drive all the water out of the plaster cast so does anyone have any suggestions on going about it with an oxy acetylene torch? The primary issue along with that is that I will possibly only have one plaster mold so this needs to work. I want to make an aluminum cast of a paw print of my girlfriends sick and dying 17 year old cat so she has a sentimental keepsake separate from an urn of ashes.

If the high temp of molten aluminum is a limiting factor, I could also buy some bismuth tin to cast with instead. I just already have good aluminum scrap for casting.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Thank you guys so much. All this information is really helpful and i'll definitely be going the silicone route.

My issue with driving moisture out of the plaster is that i only have access to a strong torch to melt aluminum at work and theres no oven. I suppose i could more gradually heat it up by placing it on a block of aluminum or brass and aiming the torch at the metal block.

Would an initial heat on the plaster in an oven at home make a worthwhile difference to drive some of the moisture out before a later heat with the torch during casting?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I just did a little googling and apparently there is a smooth on product called Mold Max 60 designed for metal casting under 560F

That entirely removes the issue of any moisture flash boiling in a plaster mold and exploding. Mold Max 60 is definitely the way to go if I use pewter.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

More questions for trying to up my welding game:

I picked up some Lincoln 7018 rods 1/8" diameter AC-DC +/-. I've looked and looked on the box, and there is nowhere that lists what voltage AMPs they should be used at. I do however, have a box of Hobart rods that are the same (7018, 1/8" etc.) that has the voltage AMPs listed. Is there any reason that these every day, not special in any way rods shouldn't or can't be used at the same settings as the Hobarts?

If yes, does this go for other rods as well? Like 6011, 6013 and so on? Assuming they are not some special rods for some fancy bullshit of course.

The basic rule of thumb I learned for amps selection is you want to start at the decimal equivalent of the rod diameter. So 1/8" rod would be .125" or 125 amps. Start there and adjust to personal preference and base metal thickness. Only rods this doesnt work as well for is the cellulositic rods like 6010 and 6011. If i remember right i used to run those starting around 100 amps at 1/8" rod size. Its been years since I ran 6010.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Yeah, I think I remember reading that somewhere. 1A for every thou of diameter.
If given a choice would you use 6010, 6011 or 6013?
I've had pretty nice results with 6013 but its supposed to be a pretty forgiving "beginners" rod. My masculinity isn't affected by using a "beginners rod" so personally I don't give a gently caress, but I find those the easiest of all to use, and will continue to use them when I feel like it.

That being said I've had good results with 6010, and 6011.
What sort of special applications? Are you talking overhead? Or when welding fancy types of steel?
Is heating them with a torch "good enough" for most applications or should they be heated evenly (like in an oven)?
Is there a special reason for AC only rods? Like yeah, I know that AC only welders exist, but other than price (?) is there any reason to run an AC only welder, and AC only rods?

Ninja edit: Also, Thanks for the replies goons.

7018 is my all around favorite stick electrode.
They're all good rods but some have more specialized uses.

For general purposes 6013 is a fine rod though I've never heard of it being used for structural purposes. Its got decent penetration and is pretty easy to use. 6011/6010 are most commonly used during the root pass of an open root weld because of its strong arc force. That arc force can also help you burn through paint, heavy mill scale, or rust. 6010/6011 are only different in that 6010 is for DC current and 6011 is for AC current. As for 7018, its the standard structural rod due to the low hydrogen properties and added iron powder in the flux giving increased weld deposition rates. 7018 is great once you get used to starting the arc. It has a tendency to stick when you try to strike it. I used to have a couple AWS structural certifications with it.

Also as already mentioned, don't try to dry out 7018 with a torch. I imagine the direct heat could mess with the flux. I've seen guides online to using a home oven to drive the moisture out.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Uncle Enzo posted:

Are the nicer Harbor Freight welders (Titanium, Vulcan) any good? I'm considering buying a multiprocess machine and the price difference between a Titanium and a Miller is eyewatering ($800 vs $1800). Especially considering the HF version comes with the TIG accessories, making the Miller $2200 by comparison. I'm a decent hand at stick, want to try TIG, and I think I need MIG although it doesn't hold any actual attraction for me. There's some stuff that I want to build that is typically done with MIG so I better get one.

I'm a blacksmith who wants to build things and be able to fix forgings. I have a bit of an obsession with larger workpieces and exotic processes. So I really can't say this is for sheet metal on cars or fences or anything specific. I regularly forge stuff out of 2" stock or larger and since I'm only doing this for fun I can indulge my passion for overbuilding. Has anyone used a nicer HF welder?

My coworker bought the Titanium tig 200 and seemed pretty satisfied with it. He primarily does little metal sculptures of animals and sells them online for side money.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
An important step when welding on hardenable steel is preheating and post heating the material so it cools down slowly preventing the steel adjacent to the weld from becoming too brittle and cracking again from the stress. After welding and cooling you may also want to heat the area to at least a blue temper to raise its impact durability.

Googling a bit suggests a pretty high preheat temp for 1060 steel at 300 celsius which complicates things.

One potential option I can think of is having the cutting edge of the axe in water while you preheat the rest and weld it. Then periodically hit it with a torch so it cools slowly over the course of a few minutes. This would allow the cutting edge to stay hard while preventing the heat affected zone from becoming to hard and cracking before youre able to do the tempering.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

coldpudding posted:

Lol I'd have to beef it up and switch to stainless steel or at least a heavy powder coating if I was gonna start doing that, can't have angry folks returning rusty broken chairs.

Hot dip galvanize for the texture.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm putting a fair number of weld nuts into one side of rectangular tubing and it's causing it to bow pretty good, I'm letting each area cool before doing the next. Any ways to reduce bowing? All I can think of is clamping it to my welding table, but seems like the bow would just spring in after it's released?

It's not a major issue, just wondering if there's a truck I'm missing.

There are a few options to try to mitigate bowing.
Clamping the part flat helps. Reducing fitup gaps if your material thickness is low enough can also help because there is less space for weld metal to fill then subsequently shrink together.

The best but also most difficult option is to compensate the warping by clamping it or moving it the opposite direction. For example, when you weld a T joint, you might, instead of tacking it at 90 degrees, leave it more obtuse becuase you expect the weld to pull it a few degrees tighter.

For your situation i'd try putting some shims under the tube in the middle and then clamp the ends down to create a counter-bow in the tubing. Weld while clamped, let cool, release praying you estimated right.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Unrelated, is recommended amperage for aluminum TIG the 1A per thou like it is for steel? 35% EN, high freq for thin wall, acetone scrub after ss brush down, anything else to know? Jumping into the alumin deep end with some 1/16" 6063 angle I gotta stick together here soon, any advice appreciated. I've got a 1.5% lanthanated electrode and 1/16" 4043 filler.

I think in general aluminum needs ~20% higher amps just due to its heat conductivity but I'd be more cautious with that thin of stock. If you have any spare material i'd say do some test beads.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I have a pdf of the Machinery's handbook 26th edition if someone can point me to a good place to host it. That might constitute :filez: though

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
If I remember right from the lecture portions of the welding classes I took in community college, Fluxcore is divided into two main sub types: FCAW-S (self shielded) and FCAW-G (gas shielded).

FCAW-G is designed to use a slag system in conjunction with a shielding gas. All the different FCAW-G wires I have run professionally used pure CO2 as a shielding gas which is significant.
Argon and Helium are inert gasses but CO2 is not. CO2 is known as an active gas. Its understood that while it provides weld protection, it also increases heat input which does correspond to better weld penetration.

Both of the pre-fab structural welding shops I've worked in used dual-shield because it can run in all positions except overhead, its generally easy to run, its cheap, it makes a great weld even through heavy mill scale, and the slag system helps general weld appearance and profile.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

ryanrs posted:

Hello, metalworking goons.

I took a 2 day MIG welding course at a local industrial arts center, and now I am going to buy a mig/stick machine (probably ESAB 215ic). I will be welding mild steel 1/8" - 1/4" thick, including skid plates for my offroad vehicle and similar. I might need to weld some thicker plate for my welding table. But I have a couple questions.

Is there much difference in identical spec consumables? For example, is all 0.030 ER70S-6 the same, or are there differences in behavior/use between brands? I imagine lovely ER70S-6 wire exists, what aspects are lovely?

Is flux core better than solid MIG wire wrt cleaning of contamination? I get that the flux protects from the atmosphere, but does it also eat oxides and crap like a 6010 electrode? What MIG wire/process is good for dirtier metal?

I want to put down some beads of hardfacing in two spots where my skid plates see a lot of wear (build a little lip ahead of a bolt head to protect it). The base metal is 3/16" A36. This plan is admittedly 50% for lols, but I see I can get 0.035 55FC-O in 1 lb spools, so maybe I should try it? How does the wire behave when welding vs ER70S-6? Is it easy, or a huge pain in the rear end?

Solid filler metals of the same classification, if theyre from reliable manufacturers, should all run very similarly. You would probably have to burn through a 55lb spool every few days of a Lincoln ER70s-6 and then do the same with ESAB ER70s-6 to notice much of a difference.

Cored wires get more complicated. Due to their tubular construction, the current density in the arc is higher which generally allows you to weld on dirtier metal more reliably. The problem is that they can vary more between manufacturers due to there being more options chemically when it comes to flux composition. The various ions created from the flux while welding effects the behaviour of the arc itself along with heat input.
E6010/E6011 are well known for their ability to burn through dirty metal. This is primarily because the fast freeze slag is cellulose based. That composition creates significanly more arc force and heat input which burns through the rust. E71T-11 seems to be a good general use fcaw-s wire for dirty or rusty material. Lincoln's version is NR-211 and ESAB's is called Fabshield 21B.

As far as hardfacing goes, I've personally only done wire feed hard facing with a solid wire Stellite product and it was a pain in the rear end to get the settings dialed in. It also had trouble wetting into the base metal which might be improved with a flux system. My impression is that stick electrode hardfacing is easier and less finicky.

That might be more info than you need but I like to be detailed.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

ryanrs posted:

Welding Tools (besides the welder)

What welding tools are useful to have? I'm thinking things like those deep throat visegrips, the ubiquitous mig pliers, magnets, etc. I see a million styles of clamps, what should I get to go with babby's first welder?

Assume my welding table is just a flat piece of steel, without any fancy slots or holes. Or should I have slots and holes? If something like a fabblock is genuinely great to have, even for rough jobs, tell me now.

I already have an angle grinder and a dozen different kinds of discs, so I think I have that covered. And a carbide cold saw and a bench grinder.

A variety of clamps and vise grips can get you pretty far if you have a flat table. What's important apart from that is a reliable way of making parts square or within whatever angle you are trying to meet. Products like the Fabblock and Strong hand tables are just an incredibly easy and repeatable way of doing that so it makes sense for custom fab shops or someone with plenty of money who wants the best.

One great thing to keep in mind, you can modify your steel clamps with your welding tools if you need them to function a little differently.

Here's a table I recently built with simple squares, clamps and a flat steel table. All the tubing was cut on a carbide cold saw.

For specific products, i'd recommend the Welper brand YS-50 mig pliers, Strong Hand utility clamps, and Wilton c-clamps.

Also as a middle ground between the flat table and an expensive engineered fab table, you could invest in some of the Fireball Tool cast iron squares for use in fixturing on your flat table.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

ryanrs posted:

I want to do some small MIG welds on 1/4" passivated 18-8 fasteners (cheap stainless bolt). Basically welding a nut to a bolt as an anti-theft measure. Can I just load some 308LSi 0.030" wire and run it with my existing cylinder of 75/25 argon/co2? I'm really hoping the answer is YES, because I do not want to buy a tank of helium or w/e just to make a couple tack welds.

Do I need to do extra-effort cleaning to remove the passivation layer, or can I just mow through it? Maybe the extra silicon will help clean it a bit?

For context, if welding stainless is significantly more complicated than this, I'm just going to tack it with ER70S-6 and paint it with cold galv. Like, I'm not going to TIG it.

For that purpose 75/25 and 308Lsi should be fine. The weld will just end up a dull gray instead of your usual colors from tig.

You can weld through a passivation layer no problem. Passivation just speeds up the formation of chromium oxide which is the normal protection in stainless steel.

Long term you may get some rust though and itll likely show up at the heat affected zone first if it shows up at all.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

ryanrs posted:

I have a skid plate on my minivan that has been almost strong enough for my abuse. I want to add some ribs, but before I can do that, I want the skid plate fairly flat. That has proven to be quite hard! So instead, I'm thinking of having the fab shop cut me a new one from the original CAD files. Then I will do the welding myself, including some strengthening and ribs.

The skid plate is 35x39, 3/16" A36.

Of course, should I go down that route, maybe I should have the skid plate cut from better steel. What alloys are available with a 50+ ksi yield point, as delivered? Easy mig welding is a must, with no pre- or post-weld heating (or at least very simple procedures). I'm not especially interested in getting the finished skid plate heat treated. Must be available in 3/16" thickness or very close to it. Maybe A588, 4130, A572, or A514? I can't even find pricing info on most of these.

Chromoly or HSLA? Will welding it be straightforward for me, a relatively unskilled hobbyist? Is this all a bad idea and I should stick to A36, just more of it?

HSLA's like AR200 or Hardox400 are decently weldable and will probably last forever but they will also be expensive.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Have any of you tried using music wire as filler metal for tig welding? Im curious about using it as cheap hardfacing material for small hobby tooling.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
From what ive seen online Evaporust is amazing for rust removal.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

SpeedFreek posted:

I ran into an issue the other day where the wire welded itself to the contact tip. This has never been an issue for me before but these were different conditions than I typically weld in.

MIG
Outdoors, low wind
Running on 240v (9kw inverter generator)
.035 wire, 75/25% mix (turned up a bit due to wind)
Lincoln mp210

Wire feed speed and voltage were giving me great looking welds earlier, I made a tack and the wire seemed to melt up to the tip and stopped feeding. I replaced the tip and it happened a few minutes later, took apart the feed and put it back together and it did it again but I was able to finish what I was working on.

Is there something I was doing wrong or something I need to clean and adjust? It seemed better after I played around with the feed but still happened again.

Ive worked as a welder for 4 years and had that happen less than 10 times. I imagine its caused by a weird perfect storm of the contact tip being hot enough and the wire burning back quickly.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

sharkytm posted:

I see you've never done spool gun AL MIG. Or maybe not done it as badly as I do. But yeah, on steel, I've never had it happen.

You called it! All my aluminum experience has been tig. I even went through a full welding program in community college and i never touched a spoolgun. In retrospect that program was very structural steel focused minus the tig class.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I think welding will be your best bet if you need that sharp inside corner.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

HolHorsejob posted:

A friend of mine just had someone cut the catalytic converter off her truck. Is there a good way to defend against an angle grinder? Like, is there a metal that's guaranteed to gum up and shatter the wheel?

Non ferrous metals can clog grinding tools but after my cat got stolen last october I found that the general suggestion is to add steel in strategic places so it takes significantly longer to cut out the cat.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Leperflesh posted:

Since you have a welding torch anyway, you can use your mild steel rod for the handle and weld your carbon steel blade onto the end?

Without proper pre/post heat that weld would be brittle as hell.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Leperflesh posted:

Welding high carbon edge to low-carbon body is a common practice in knife and axe construction. A quench and temper would be necessary for the hard edge regardless, of course.

Heating to critical temp for a quench followed by tempering fixes the differential hardness problem caused by the weld.

In general, welding low carbon to high carbon steel effectively hardens the high carbon steel right next to the weld (tho not to its max hardness). If you leave it like that the high carbon steel area next to the weld, the heat affected zone, will be very brittle relative to the metal around it. For a pry bar thats a potentially dangerous problem. For a knife that sees lower stresses or an axe thats mostly under compressive stresses its much less of a issue.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

ryanrs posted:

Tell me about this metal: McMaster: Ultra-Strength Carbon Steel

100ksi yield, low carbon, HSLA, I think it's hot rolled, not quenched and tempered. Says it's easy to bend and weld. Gee, that all sounds pretty great!

McMaster says it's similar to Tata Ympress 100 XF (pdf).

I've been building stuff for my car out of 3/16" A36, and it is almost strong enough. This high tensile 4mm plate should be much stronger and a bit lighter. I know a shop with a 130T press brake for forming.

What are the downsides (beyond price and availability)?

The main challenges I remember from welding school is you'll need a filler metal that decently matches the yield strength of your base metal and you need to control both your heat input and the speed of the part cooling as high strength steels in general are prone to cracking.

Also I imagine if youre welding on spots that have been bent those areas may be even more likely to crack due to mild work hardening.

Given the 4mm material thickness the cracking may not be a big issue though since youre probably only doing single pass welds.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

ryanrs posted:

My hobby welding machine can only fit 8-inch, 11# spools, but all the exotic wire only comes in 33# spools. Do people respool wire, or what?

e: ER70S-6 vs ER80S-D2, in an extremely unscientific test using a sledge hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1EqpIy5Igk

Result: ER80S-D2 produced a much stronger weld, taking 28 sledgehammer blows to break vs 7 for the ER70S-6. Results looked repeatable.

e: I can find ER80S-D2 in 11# spools from a couple vendors. I also found that Crown Alloys sells 0.035" ER100S-1 in small spools.

Whatever you can get that closest matches the base metals tensile strength will be the best.

I would imagine most people outside of production environments that weld on semi-exotic materials are doing TIG which is a lot more flexible for filler metal sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Are you limited to square cuts? You can also create your radius with whats called a 'pie cut' technique. Its really common with car exhausts and complicated tubing layouts

Just use some scrap material to get your cut angle right.