Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The Nordic countries did a great job maintaining a lot of traditional skills (like smithing) through networks of folk high schools. People are able to enroll in specific programs related to a craft, or just take a evening/weekend course.

I got bitten by the metalworking bug last winter and started with a secondhand Taig SC3 mini lathe. Now my mill (an RF-45 clone) is set to arrive tomorrow. I'll have to borrow or rent an engine lift to get it set up in the garage.

HDS, did you ever decide on what welding helmet to get? I've been eyeing the Esab Sentinel A50 for stick and eventually TIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Looks good! A more elegant solution than when Matthias Wandel cut a morse taper with an angle grinder.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The A50 has arrived.

I get to borrow a workshop crane from work this weekend, so I should have my mill in a better place soon. Nothing to it but the doing.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
As an owner of a mini lathe, there's a lot it can do, but the moment I find myself able to upgrade to something bigger I'll do so. Take that for what it's worth.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yooper, what are you looking to polish, optics?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Yooper posted:

Shafting, about 15mm diameter with a polished length of 50mm. It's an oddball cobalt alloy.

Are you looking at doing a superfinishing operation or looking for a mirror surface?

You could probably get away with using a SiC or ceramic-coated AlOx tape on a bump wheel

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Avoiding liability is usually worth it unless the customer is willing to pony up for the risk.

The Thielenhaus machine is pretty standard, there's not too much variation in that style. It would be a good choice.

DM me if you end up deciding to accept the risk and go with superfinishing.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I live in the same weird part of the world as HDS and it's hilarious seeing the machines from the regional classifieds show up here.

Do you keep an eye on Kiertonet?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
That's super lame, let me know if you ever need a machine checked out to the north.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Awesome work.

If you're still looking for a big old Kemppi mig welder, I've been seeing a few show up on Kiertonet lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

His Divine Shadow posted:

Flange welding sounds pretty cool, wonder if it'd work as well with TIG.

I just bought myself a 70A plasma cutter (Stahlwerk, it's from Germany but chinese, but people seem happy with theirs) so I am putting the oxy-fuel cutting business on the back burner again. Gonna get it up and running, but spreading out my purchases over time...

Definitely think oxy propane cutting is worth a try since I have propane already.

Let me know what you think of the stahlwerk, I'm eyeing one of their AC/DC TIG welders and would be interested to hear your experience.