Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nicad
Feb 21, 2004
been TIG welding for about 6 months now with a miller maxstar DX. Does 200A, DC only.

mostly been playing with 304SS scrap I get from work (I work at a brewery and we have a lot of it)

the #1 thing I can recommend for tig welding: FITMENT. spending the extra 15 minutes to make sure the parts fit nice will save you a lot of headache and ugly welds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nicad
Feb 21, 2004
hrm, check the fitment? should get a nice puddle going on the thicker material and put some heat in the thinner material to get it to flow. strangely enough, sometimes upping the current here helps. get the base puddle started and kind of push it towards the joint

if there's any gap between the two, getting a puddle to flow between them is going to be near impossible

it's something I've struggled with at times. i feel your pain :(

nicad
Feb 21, 2004

SmokeyXIII posted:

I don't know if we care about this in this thread but today I went to Syncrude, which is a different plant than the one I work at, and we checked out all the old mining equipment. I stood in the shovel. It's huge but compared to the new ones its so tiny. They've got all kinds of huge equipment up there, it was just so amazing to see the gigantic metal monsters up so close. Pretty neato!

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr224/SmokeyXIIII/IMG_0033.jpg

where are you working at? that looks eerily familiar to some steam piping we're having welded up here at the brewery