Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Wasn't Doyle cut because the actor had drug problems? I know the actor died of an overdose later, but I also thought that's why he was cut and Wesley was brought in. Man, what a different show that would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

One more find for you: Whedon on Robot Chicken with Ron Moore and Seth MacFarlane. Not that it means much to you guys, but to fans of their shows it's easily the funniest bit they've ever done.

That is awesome. The Family Guy bit was genius.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Stonefish posted:

I'll give you that one. The difference between the monster inside Angel and the one inside Oz was damned near zero when it came down to it, and Xander was cool with one of them. Hell, it wasn't even petty jealousy over a woman, because that applies in both cases too :)

You could argue the difference is that Oz's demon never killed anyone.

mobn posted:

How they basically straight up tell her she's a bitch for bailing after season two, which is ridiculous of them considering the traumatic poo poo she went through that they'll never in their lives have to experience.

As far as they knew, they went through pretty much the same thing. They lost friends and loved ones as well, and thought Buffy killed Angelus.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Gassire posted:

He also ate that zombie.

I meant anyone human, since if killing things that weren't human made a character "evil" or "bad" then the show had no good guys. With the exception of maybe Buffy's mother. Although she indirectly killed some people with that zombie mask. Oz's werewolf also killed that guy who was a Jekyll/Hyde ripoff.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Which guy? Didn't Angel bust in and kill that guy?

Maybe I was wrong. I could have sworn they had that whole badass moment where Oz is getting the crap kicked out of him, then the moon comes up and he says

"Times up. Rules change."

Maybe that wasn't the last fight in the episode, I don't recall much about the episode other than that one scene and the fact that I was impressed they killed off the stereotypical battered wife character (who in most other shows either ends up sticking up for herself or being rescued).

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The Mayor is easily my favorite big bad. Adam was my least favorite.

In order from favorite to least favorite:

The Mayor
Angelus/Spike/Dru
Glory
The Trio/Evil Willow (Honestly it seemed like everyone's favorite scene with the yellow crayon didn't really do anything for me, or else this would be higher)
The Master
The First
Adam

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Just watch them separately. There was only one crossover that really mattered, involving Faith, near the first season of Angel, and even that one stands on its own.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
My favorite moment was Cordy's realization that the guy was a vampire.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

RoryGilmore posted:

I'm only two episodes in, but does Dawn just come out of nowhere in Buffy Season 5? I don't think I missed any Season 4 episodes when I watched, so I don't understand the whole 'Oh sup I have a sister by the way' angle at all. If it does come out of nowhere, is it explained in detail later on?

That's my favorite thing about season 5. The episode where they finally explain what is going on isn't too far off, and they do it pretty well, in kind of a creepy way.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I see potential. Like I did with Season 1 of Buffy. The acting seemed kind of wooden, like they haven't relaxed into their parts yet. The same thing that happened with Xander and Willow near the beginning of the show.

Unfortunately, they're on Fox, which means that it's not some network that really needs anything remotely resembling a popular show they can get.

Potential, in this case, is probably not enough.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I like Andrew. I'm also a male nerd and the nerd trio made me laugh far more than they should have.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

scarymonkey posted:

The the thing, I like the two other trio characters about 1000x times more than Andrew. And when Andrew was being nerdy in a referential sort of way it seemed very forced and fake.

I dunno, I liked a lot of him by himself too. Storyteller was great, and I liked his "lessons" to the slayerettes.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Minimaul posted:

I started watching Buffy last night. Watched the first two episodes; it's cheesy, but kind of fun. Or maybe I just enjoy cheesy. SMG looks kind of cute with the baby fat thing going on...

you should do me a favor and start posting in here a lot during your watching of season 3 because I would enjoy hearing a first impression of my favorite season again.

When I watched it for the first time it was awesome, and I hope you feel the same.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

bananabelle posted:

I'm joining the group of people getting into the Buffyverse. My boyfriend tried getting me to watch Buffy a long time ago but season 1 bored me quickly. He suggested Angel instead, and I'm almost done with season 3 now. Even though season 1 of Angel was a bit slow and boring, I'm glad it picked up in season 2 & 3. Just got introduced to teenage Connor and so far, he's annoying. Does he really make up the bulk of season 4?

I'll probably give Buffy another try after watching Angel. Then maybe Firefly. I've already watched Serenity, Dr. Horrible, and currently watching Dollhouse.

You are now in the worst part of Angel. Soldier on through, it gets extremely good again RIGHT at the end of season 4 (and admittedly has a few moments of baddassery spread between the crap), and then stays good for the next season as well.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Psimitry posted:

A movie staring Kristen Bell is something I'd definitely be interested in. But I think the major issue with this concept entirely is that Buffy works as a show. Despite the fact that the studio went nuts altering the script and direction, I don't think Buffy works as a movie at ALL. Much in the same way that as much as I liked Serenity, the Firefly universe didn't really work for virgins to the series in the movie, and the show didn't really work all that well as a movie either.

Just as a note, I know a bunch of people that saw Serenity and liked it enough to watch Firefly.

It seems to me that most people that didn't like the movie or thought it was mediocre saw the show first.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Minimaul posted:

I finished Buffy a couple weeks ago and now I'm about half-way through season 3 of Angel. I spent pretty much the whole weekend watching Angel. I'm going to be sad when it ends but I plan on going through both Buffy and Angel again. Now that I've seen it once and have gotten past the excitement of watching something new I can pay more attention to what happens and maybe actually remember it. heh.

I wish to issue an apology in advance, for season 4 of Angel. It starts off cool, but very quickly moves into "This is really really bad" territory. It gets better, just soldier on through.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Kojiro posted:

The way I heard it Jasmine was meant to be a Buffy villain, and Angel was meant to get The First.

That makes SO much more sense than what we got.

Caleb as a priest worshiping Jasmine would have been excellent. And the whole "You and I are going to merge to give me badass power" would have made a lot more sense with two corporeal enemies... merging.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
So, Anthony Head was in a band in the 80s called Two-Way. He put some of the songs up on his site, but they were relatively low quality.

I bought the main '45 they released and got some guy to rip it to a CD because I liked one of the songs and wanted it in better quality.

Would it be against the :filez: rules to share it here? It took me forever to track it down in the first place (and of course after I got it I FINALLY saw it listed on ebay) so it's not like it's easy to buy.

If it's not against the rules, is anyone interested?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
What would be the best way to post them? Sendspace (Does that even still exist?) or zShare, or something else?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
All Dressed Up, which is the song that I got the single for

Nole Me Tangere:

And the weirdest one of all... Seriously, I don't like the song very much but man were the lyrics unexpected:
Face in the Window

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Alexis Denisof is awesome for wearing the suit over the Kangaroo suit.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Buffy Season 6 and 7 aren't necessarily good. They aren't necessarily bad, either. It seems hit or miss every other week or so (and then towards the end of season 6 there are a LOT of misses involving drug metaphors), but it does have one of the most well known and best regarded episodes from Buffy, there are some awesome moments throughout both seasons, and it does end the series.

Angel gets progressively more and more awesome until about halfway through season 4, where it turns into a trainwreck. Occasionally there is a good episode or idea but for the most part the latter half of season 4 becomes bad TV.

Then, season 5 is just as good as season 3 and 5 of Buffy.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

MasBrillante posted:

Season 7 almost killed me though since it was basically about Spike and Buffy loving and even though I actually kind of enjoyed the S/B pairing as an idea, I found the execution even more tiring than watching Angel pine over Buffy in the dark for all of Angel Seasons 1 and 2.

That happens all throughout season 6. They don't do that anymore in season 7.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The Zeppo is my favorite episode of the entire series.

It was also written by one of the recurring writers and executive story editors for Futurama.

It's a shame to me that he only wrote two Buffy episodes.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Astfgl posted:

His reasoning, "oh no a demon has showed me a future which can't possibly NOT come to pass because demons never lie! i must now abandon the only woman i've ever loved despite only recently having a mature realization of how much she means to me, and how proud i am of the life we've built together!", was laughable and it was just such a needlessly contrived thing to put the characters through.

It led me to conclude that after season 4, the writers lost all understanding of Xander and how to incorporate him into the story.

I think you missed the point of his realization. It wasn't that since a demon said it it must be true, but more "I was afraid this could happen before a demon ever showed it to me" and "I proposed out of fear I was going to die and am not 100 percent sure that we should actually be getting married" and "I want to prevent even the remote possibility that I could end up like my parents and hurt the woman I love"

Whedon doesn't like happy couples, andI don't disagree that the relationship ended suddenly, but it did have an understandable explanation considering the character we are talking about.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Abe posted:

Theoretically, they could've just nixed Riley altogether and given the Initiative storyline to Xander instead. After all, Xander wasn't accepted into college, had no job prospects, and his only useful skills came from the leftovers of his G.I. Joe persona. It would have made sense for him to enlist in the military. Season 4 could've opened with him coming back from boot camp and being introduced to the Initiative.

I guess they were gung-ho to give Buffy a new love interest though. And they wanted to keep Xander as a loser for a while longer.

Would it have made sense for Xander to be that submissive though? Riley was pretty much a bad guy because he didn't know any better. Xander had been involved with the supernatural for years.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 18, 2010

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I think the big reveal at the end of that season was that he was going through the trials specifically to get his soul back. They made you think he wanted the chip removed, then the monster says the thing he came to get was his soul back, and then they end the season.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Also, in Angel, Spike says:
"You had a soul forced on you--as a curse. Make you suffer for all the horrible things you'd done. But me...I fought for my soul. Went through the demon trials. Almost did me in a dozen times over, but I kept fighting. 'Cause I knew it was the right thing to do. It's my destiny."

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

daggerdragon posted:

Marsters takes the cake, but Brendon's smug-rear end grin as he was slipped out the door in 07x07 (Conversations with Dead People) had me laughing so, so hard.

I could have sworn that Conversations With Dead People was the one episode that Xander wasn't in at all?

What part are you talking about?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

to be fair, he was under the influence of Evil Candy Bars.

This made me laugh. There is just something so silly about that sentence, yet it made perfect sense and I knew what you meant.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Joss has a movie coming out this summer that he co-wrote and it stars many familiar faces. Fran Kanz (Topher), Tom Lenk (Andrew), and Amy Acker (Whiskey/Fred) are all in it as well as some non-Joss people like Bradley Whitford, Chris Hernsworth, and Richard Jenkins.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259521/

Also, my favorite seasons of Angel are probably 2, 3, and 5. 1 still hadn't hit it's stride, and the middle third of season 4 is my least favorite arc in any television show that I like.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Watch Angel s4 and form your own opinion. There's a good deal of people who love the season all the way through like me, and there's some that dislike a majority of it. Either way, go into it knowing it is one super long giant mega arc and is one of the most cinematic seasons of television out there.

Even though I don't like it, I agree with this.

It is definitely cinematic, and has a lot of series defining moments. My problem is that it just had one decision in storytelling that doesn't really make sense to me and I guess I can't get past it.

I won't spoil it, of course, but I look forward to hearing your reaction.

There are some episodes I remember liking very much (like "Habeas Corpses") and I would say that the last episode of the season is one of my favorite season finales of any Whedon show. It's up there with "The Gift", "Not Fade Away...", and "Restless". So get through it, it's worth it to get to the end.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm Whedon fan and I don't get it either...I can't even place what series it's from, or who said it.

I'm guessing...Firefly, and Cap. Reynolds?

Does that mean you haven't watched Dollhouse?

Dollhouse is by no mans Whedon's best work (and honestly it doesn't seem he did much for it during season 2 since he wasn't credited as a writer on any episodes), but I'd say it is still worth watching.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Psimitry posted:

Then he took a poo poo on a piece of paper and called it "Cloverfield"

I really liked Cloverfield. Probably one of my favorite movies that came out in 2008.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

White-Lightning posted:

So I'm past the half way point on season 4 (episode 15 currently). And so far I think its pretty drat good. Like you said, very cinematic and an on going story (preferred). But I must admit I let a few of you get into my head, as at first I only watched the first episode and a half and didn't really get into it so much and just put off watching it until I had nothing else left to watch. But so I finally picked it back up, and I think I might be in the category of people who like this season. Or at least not hate it. I will have to finish it of course to make my full judgment, but so far at least.

I'll be very curious to hear what you think of the rest, please keep us informed. I think that the further the season goes, the more it feels like it wasn't planned that way from the start, no matter how much they try to pass it off in the story as being planned from the beginning.

(Yes, I'm aware that the behind the scenes stuff that was going on means that it was not planned that way from the start)

EDIT: vvvvvv Please watch the rest of the season, then come back here. I purposely tried to not spoil anything. vvvvvv

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 24, 2010

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

White-Lightning posted:

Ok so I finished season 4 this morning. I now understand. 4 is pretty good, better than 3 I think. But then that last episode and we get to season 5 and it gets so many more times as awesome. I mean as soon as I saw Spike I started giggling like a school girl. How the gently caress could it get canceled after THIS season?? I mean I am only on the 4th episode (where Fred is trying to bring Spike back), but so far it has completely blown me away. Does it retain this level of awesome the whole run?

You're in for one of the best seasons of anything ever. Even the episodes people consider "duds" all have awesomely great moments in them.

And what I meant before is that Charisma Carpenter got pregnant during season 4 (maybe during the hiatus she started showing? Not sure the timing)

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Psimitry posted:

After reading that bit from David Fury, I'd have to say I agree. And that's a loving shame. Granted, I don't work in the TV industry, but when you have a show that's been renewed 4 times, and ratings are UP, maybe it doesn't really loving matter that you wait a bit for the phone call as opposed to giving some lame ultimatum?

WB was already pissed at Joss for taking Buffy to UPN. it was pretty stupid of him to force the issue.

I don't think you're seeing it from the other point of view. Firefly (which was basically his favorite project at the time) had gotten cancelled the season before, and he didn't have the ability to end it with any kind of real conclusion.

Joss wanted the ability to end Angel like he had a chance to end Buffy, with a plot resolution of some kind that made sense and didn't leave the fans with a cliffhanger or wondering "that's it?".

So he ended Angel with an actual ending rather than something like Firefly where it just ends with nothing explained. In order to do so, he needed to know early on whether this was the last season or not.

It turns out it was.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Micgael posted:

So, season 4 of Buffy seems down in quality from seasons 2 and 3. Am I weird for thinking this? Does the trend continue?

Season 4 is my least favorite because of the introduction of Riley and his plot. Season 5 is pretty drat good, so it does get better after this.

6 and 7 are very hit or miss. The good episodes are really good (especially the musical) and the bad episodes are really bad (most of them involve a very dumb magic=drugs metaphor or a bunch of teenage girls that will get introduced later).

For some reason, season 4 of Buffy and Angel are my least favorite but have some of the best season finales of both of those show. Probably because the season finales have less to do with the seasons themselves, and more to do with experimentation/setup for the next season.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Remicion posted:

No, we see it from the other point of view, you're not realizing the full history. He basically left Angel in all but name (after making sure to gently caress over Charisma Carpenter beforehand) to go do Firefly, which was a huge, huge flop in the ratings. While he was gone the show started doing good again and he comes back and starts trying to strong arm the studio making demands they don't do.

He thought he had them over a barrel because the show was doing a little better in the ratings than their other garbage and got a big head over it. The kicker is that as Fury stated if he wouldn't have tried forcing them there wouldn't have been a problem.

I'm not sure which one of us has our timing wrong but from what I can tell Firefly started shooting summer of 2002. This was after season 3 of Angel and season 6 of Buffy, but I'm not sure how long it originally took to write and shoot the pilot so there was most likely some overlap there.

While Whedon was working on Firefly, Angel began season 4 and Cordelia had sex with Connor. Additionally, Buffy was just beginning season 7. By the time Angel got to what seems like most consider "good" again, Firefly had been cancelled.

Firefly was cancelled about 8 episodes into Angel and 10 into Buffy. I don't know exactly how long it took to get back to both shows since Joss was trying to save Firefly for a while, but Joss would have been working on one or both for the second ends of that television season, where I would argue both improved.

Regardless, the point is that by the time Joss asked the WB to cancel or renew Angel, Firefly had been cancelled for about a year, and Joss was definitely back on Angel, even writing and directing the first episode of the season.

Micgael posted:

I'm only to the Halloween episode but it's been thus far a season of pity-party for Buffy, Xander continuing The Hilarious Sexual Misadventures of Xander Harris and struggling to keep Giles relevant. Oh, and something about a ring to make Angel daylight-friendly, but I just assumed that was necessary for the spin off.

It just doesn't seem to work as well outside of the high school.

It gets worse before it gets better, unfortunately. "Beer Bad" is next, and is probably one of the most hated episodes of the series. There are a few bright spots coming up though, like "Hush" and "Something Blue".

At least the Halloween episode is fun. In fact, I would argue that the best episodes of Season 4 are probably the ones that have the least to do with the overall arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Scissorfighter posted:

I just rewatched Not Fade Away and the only thing that still really bothers me is how completely bullshit Lyndsey's death is. This time I watched specifically for things showing that he might deserve it, but other than the implication that he's flaky, there was no reason for Angel and Lorne to break character so badly (killing a human in cold blood). Hell, Harmony constantly betrayed him and all she got was a job reccomendation.

Did you rewatch the entire series, or at least the last season?

General show spoilers:
Lindsey is there from the beginning, tries to kill Angel a ton of times, and even during the last season returns, starts getting it on with Eve and tries to turn Spike on him. Then when they find him he tries to unleash some kind of monster on Angel. The only reason they allowed him to help out in the last episode is because they knew he wanted the Senior Partners gone as much as they did. He still wasn't a good guy, by any means.

• Locked thread