Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The D
Apr 11, 2006

Indie Game Dev, Dragoon Entertainment Ltd. CEO
What is The Demon Rush?

The Demon Rush is an independent two-dimensional RPG created by Dragoon Entertainment in 2008.

Note: The Demon Rush contains coarse language and pixelated blood and gore.

Plot:

The story revolves around a war between humans and demons, called the Demon Rush, that has spanned three years up to the present time. The city of Tiriad on Earth may have a breakthrough that can lead to the end of the war: the first spacecraft created in the Mittu system, the S. S. Pursuit. With this spacecraft, a new power may be found in Mittu that can lead to the end of the Demon Rush. However, the mission goes awry, and two Tiriadian soldiers are stranded on a distant planet...

Characters:

Cherry Venus

Colonel of the Tiriadian Sky Corps, she has earned a reputation of being both reckless and a workaholic. Her parents died in a car accident when she was young, and this fuels her desire to protect people.

In combat, Cherry is pretty average in stats and tends to be pretty versatile, leaning a little toward physical attacks. As time goes by, she focuses more on tanking, healing and anti-tank abilities.

Knight

Quiet and calm, he is a mysterious man with a horn covered in armor. Knight comes to the rescue of Cherry and Alberto. He has tremendous dedication to his god, Theus.

Knight is the ultimate offensive character; he has high attack and magic stats, and learns a variety of offensive abilities, both physical and magical. He eventually learns some instant death and status ailment abilities, and even some that can bust through specific status and elemental immunities.

Alberto Mundosold

Vulgar and blunt, Alberto is generally regarded by his fellow Sky Corps soldiers as a jerk. He is also pretty sarcastic, as can be seen by his conversations with his best friend, Cherry. His girlfriend, Amy, was killed at the start of The Demon Rush.

The polar opposite of Knight in battle, Alberto is the ultimate defensive character (surprising, given his abrasive attitude). He has a heavy focus on healing and stunning, and even has access to an evade-and-counter ability.

Claire Colpa

A polite and serious young woman, Claire has learned the arts of war at age 16. Unfortunately for the rest of the team, she seems to be working for the enemy.

Claire doesn't have any prominent offensive or defensive abilities, but she has a heavy focus on both speed and disabling. Whether it be poisoning, stealing or cutting down their defense, Claire can soften up any foe with ease.

Jimmy

Jimmy is kind of like a typical RPG hero. Young, dark past, odd clothing, special powers, etc. He also happens to be fairly optimistic and flamboyant at times, though he is still serious about his mercenary work. He has worked with the Pael Army as a mercenary for years, and on a recent mission, he discovers that his past can come back to haunt him.

Jimmy is a very versatile character, much like Cherry, though he tends to focus more on magical abilities than she does. While he's good at a variety of areas (physical, magical, healing), he tends to fall into a support role later on, making his team members more effective in combat.

Brooks Cracktackle

A soldier of the Pael Army, Brooks lost everything when The Demon Rush began, and the depression that followed caused him to be demoted due to his increasingly poor performance. However, when the Pael Army pairs him up with Jimmy, he may learn something key about The Demon Rush-- which may give him his shot at vengeance.

Brooks is the simplest character to use - point and shoot. He has incredibly high attack and he focuses on hitting enemies from a distance. If kept well protected and far from the front lines, Brooks can lay waste to scores of enemies without missing a beat.

Gameplay:

The game plays very similar to most story-driven RPGs. You control a party that explores a variety of environments, including towns, outdoor settings, caves, buildings, etc. Certain events will also play out to advance the story. The game's flow is meant to be smooth, and pointless filler is something that is kept at a minimum; a lot of the fights, dungeons and story should advance at a solid pace.

Dungeons are a little different than most RPGs. Rather it being based around exploring and random battles, there is more of a focus of trying to deal with patrolling enemies and trying to get the drop on them. All enemies are visible, some patrol, some guard a certain spot. They can detect you by sight or by sound (if a character is running, not walking, nearby them). Having an enemy sneak up on you can be costly, so learning how to ambush your foes is a crucial skill to learn in this game.

Battles allow you to make use of the entire battlefield, which is good, as spacing is crucial to avoid area-of-effect attacks and keep weaker allies away from foes (as enemies will take distance, HP and defense into account when choosing targets). Fights are turn-based, though other characters can move around the field as the Speed Counters rise (when a Speed Counter is full, that character gets their turn). The game has a good emphasis on strategy, and there a number of subtleties to pay attention to to help turn fights more in your favour. Despite this, the game's difficulty is fairly low, to appeal more to casual players.

To those who seek something more to test them, there are difficult Challenges one can have their team undertake from the Main Menu. Aside from that, there is also a Versus mode in the full version that allows two players to fight their teams against each other.

Your team members are fairly customizable. Characters receive stat bonuses for receiving a certain amount of experience. These stat bonuses are used to increase character stats, and the frequency they get a type of stat bonuses varies from member to member. Stat bonuses can be used immediately or saved for later to be converted into bonuses for different stats. Each character can also hold up to 30 items each and can learn up to 10 specific abilities.

The full version also contains an optional mini-game called RopeRange, where you hang from a rope at a great height and have to shoot several targets.

The demo and the full version are available here:

https://www.dragoon.ca

I hope you enjoy this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
what in the world is going on here?

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

gently caress that, what's going HERE?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
You can't be serious asking money for this.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

I thought this was a glitch you ran across, then I looked at the official screenshots.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
as a fun little programming practice whatever but are you seriously thinking this game is worth twenty bucks? who are you trying to rip off here?

This is your first screen?

and one of the doors doesn't even work! These graphics look like you spent 5 minutes on them in 4th grade or something. I mean I'm being a jerk here, but god this is awful, you can buy portal for 19 bucks! Thats just ridiculous greed to ask so much for such a terrible game.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
What the gently caress? Canada has some explaining to do.

Popcorn Sutton
Oct 25, 2007

by The Finn
I am so glad I didn't buy this.

Trust me guys it is not worth your time, or your ratio.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Is the two-dimensional part supposed to be a selling point? It looks a little, uh, utilitarian.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I just masturbated to Cherry Venus

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

quote:

Quiet and calm, he is a mysterious man with a horn covered in armor.

why would a horn need to be covered in armor god drat you are dumb

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Candida albicans posted:

What the gently caress? Canada has some explaining to do.

Don't look at me, he's from the side of the family we don't like to talk to.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I have to be honest, the enhanced Maniac Mansion looks better...

...and it was released in 1989. Adventure game vs. RPG notwithstanding.

Saffycat
Feb 13, 2008
Saffy and adorable!

quote:

Aside from that, there is also a Versus mode in the full version that allows two players to fight their teams against each other.
This sounds like a very interesting idea. I've always wanted to see what a two player RPG battle would look like.
That said however, I don't think a single person would want to shell out almost 20bux on this. It is a nice effort, and hopefully with time you can work on it more, and improve the graphics and sounds and you could end up with a nice little indie game that people can enjoy but don't try to charge people for something that is unfinished :) Also, please tell me how to exit the demo without having to end task it.
edit: this game uses 250mb of ram somehow. Not even TF2 does that.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
$20?

seriously?

edit: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

MMMMMMMMMMM

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt until I found out I had to pay 20bux.
bandwagon: MMMMMMMMM

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Saffycat posted:

It is a nice effort

No it's not. Don't encourage him.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Girdox posted:

I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt until I found out I had to pay 20bux.
bandwagon: MMMMMMMMM

If someone put a gun on your head and told you to either buy this for 20bux or Age of Conan for 50bux, which would you take?

bullet is an option

Saffycat
Feb 13, 2008
Saffy and adorable!

quote:

Dragoon Entertainment Ltd. is an independent game design company, formed in June 2008.
Is this when you started development of the game?

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
Great big list of fantastic games you can buy for less than $20
Deus Ex
STALKER
Painkiller
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Half Life 2
Company of Heroes

Not this game.

Saffycat
Feb 13, 2008
Saffy and adorable!
Release this for free or people will continue to rip on you and hate you.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

The drat thing didn't want to be closed. Killing it through task manager froze my computer and made me listen to that sweet, sweet midi guitar for a few minutes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Saffycat posted:

We'll still rip on him. Because it is terrible.

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007
Normally I'm not the kind of person to piss on someone's hard work, but I'm convinced that no hard work went into this at all. This is less than freeware quality, hell this is less than flash-game quality.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Saffycat posted:

People shouldn't have problems ripping on a lovely game even if it's free

Although there's always somebody going "How dare you diss on a free game it's free no complaining"

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Candida albicans posted:

If someone put a gun on your head and told you to either buy this for 20bux or Age of Conan for 50bux, which would you take?

bullet is an option

Welp Conan had beheadings but that bullet is pretty tempting

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
here is a walkthrough map of the demo if someone gets lost:

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.
Which took longer? Was it development of the game, or struggling with the decision to post it here?

Saffycat
Feb 13, 2008
Saffy and adorable!

Magnificent Quiver posted:

People shouldn't have problems ripping on a lovely game even if it's free

Although there's always somebody going "How dare you diss on a free game it's free no complaining"

I tried to be nice and supportive but now I have a headache because of the high pitched music so, you're right, it does suck. I like some of the ideas but playing it would be torture. The music is awful and the background of the game looks like the transparency texture in photoshop. Keep working on the game, get a better artist and chalk this version up as a beta of work in progress.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Grimdaddy posted:

Which took longer? Was it development of the game, or struggling with the decision to post it here?

Writing the sales pitch.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
You should have your first game be free because first games are rarely worth the cash unless they are awesome.

Saffycat
Feb 13, 2008
Saffy and adorable!
Let's not forget the quality of the website. You can make something better with any free webpage creation engine like googlepages or even geocities.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why do you have mp3s of midis?

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Somebody buy the full version, I must know what the rest of the game is like. There might be more storage rooms with crates!

vvvvv Game Maker, maybe.

PS1 Hagrid fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 26, 2008

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Was this made in Multimedia Fusion?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hungry Bit posted:

Somebody buy the full version, I must know what the rest of the game is like. There might be more storage rooms with crates!

WOAH, woah, woah, there are crates in this game?

Sold.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

Destined to become a cult classic.

edit: crashes after load, process keeps running in the background.

newsomnuke fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 26, 2008

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I think this was made with RPGToolkit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Jimmy and Johnny crossover. C'mon.