Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I wanna gently caress a smurf.

Yo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I cleaned my desk for the first time in forever.

Full setup:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
When seated, are you looking down at your screen?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

You're supposed to, though. Like the top of the monitor is supposed to be level with your eyes

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

yeah top is about eye level when sitting in my normal slouch-ish position. Top of desk is 78cm from the floor so its a fairly high desk and the Apple foot sucked. Plus I cant have my chair at max height (where it should be) AND get the arms under the desk so the adjustable arm was a good buy.

its an adjustable arm that can raise/lower and move forward/back. I usually push it waaaay up when I am working on a laptop or doing other hands-on stuff on my desk and use it to read instructions/browse.

The ipad is on a similar sort of spring-loaded arm that I usually extend out to the left of the TV while playing xbox.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 5, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I guess it is just the bottom bezel on the iMac that makes the screen seem real low.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Moey posted:

I guess it is just the bottom bezel on the iMac that makes the screen seem real low.

yeah its like 15mm off the desk. any lower and I feel like I would be stopping the intake fans doing their thing.

the top of the speakers is chin-height.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Jumping on the standing desk bandwagon.

Same workbench that I've been using. Just adjusted from all the way down, to max height. Still super stable.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
That desk/bench is much nicer than any of the latest IKEA standing desk solutions I've seen lately. Sturdier looking too. Name and price?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Butt Savage posted:

That desk/bench is much nicer than any of the latest IKEA standing desk solutions I've seen lately. Sturdier looking too. Name and price?

Gladiator workbench, $600-800ish depending on size.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

It's the 8 ft one. $550 with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-GAWB08MTZG-8-Feet-Adjustable-Height/dp/B008UQ0HAO

I've had it for a few years now and am super pleased with it.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

dema posted:

It's the 8 ft one. $550 with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-GAWB08MTZG-8-Feet-Adjustable-Height/dp/B008UQ0HAO

I've had it for a few years now and am super pleased with it.

Don't forget to check Warehouse Deals. I ended up getting mine for about $470 with free shipping. Some people return them because the packaging sucks and the box is usually ripped to hell even when ordered new. Mine had zero damage.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Finally got my collection of cheap furniture I already had lying around together.

KoB
May 1, 2009

dema posted:

Jumping on the standing desk bandwagon.

Same workbench that I've been using. Just adjusted from all the way down, to max height. Still super stable.

How tall are you? Is it a decent height for you at max-height?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Ikea big table club?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

KoB posted:

How tall are you? Is it a decent height for you at max-height?

6'1". Good height.

Not sure if it's perfect though. Was thinking it was a little too low. But, then I got a standing desk at work too. It's a bit higher and it feels too high.

Need a little more time with it.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Gladiator Workbench folks - I've had the 8 foot maple version for a few years and I love it. I'm moving and need a different sized desk. I need something that's about 6 feet wide, and 6-12 inches deeper than the Gladiator. What other companies should I be looking at if I want similar solid wood and construction?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

You're supposed to, though. Like the top of the monitor is supposed to be level with your eyes

I know this is from over a week ago but... I thought that if you drew horizontal lines in your monitor splitting it into fourths, your eyes are supposed to be even with the top line.

That's always seemed to work best for me anyway. It lets me feel like I can keep my head tilted 10-15 degrees down from straight on.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 17, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Chakron posted:

Gladiator Workbench folks - I've had the 8 foot maple version for a few years and I love it. I'm moving and need a different sized desk. I need something that's about 6 feet wide, and 6-12 inches deeper than the Gladiator. What other companies should I be looking at if I want similar solid wood and construction?

Can probably find a handiman to just make something you want to your specifications.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Etrips posted:

Can probably find a handiman to just make something you want to your specifications.

Yeah I'm probably in that territory now. Welp.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, just reuse the legs.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Chakron posted:

Yeah I'm probably in that territory now. Welp.

Just buy a butcher block top to your specs from Ikea or wherever and re-use your legs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, yesterday I decided I needed a bigger desk since I ordered a ZR22W to use in portrait next to my 27 iMac.

I reused my Ikea Galant legs / frame, cut a piece of finished plywood to 60" x 30", sanded the edges, stained and sealed the top, cut a piece of oak as front trim, stained/sealed the trim, attached the trim with a nailgun, filled the gap between the plywood and trim with a mix of stain/sawdust/wood glue, and then screwed it onto the Ikea frame.

I think I spent $40 because I had the oak piece and stain laying around.

I also built a footrest out of one 2x4, some wood glue, and some screws - though to be fair I built it as a step stool to get a motorcycle in/out of a full size pickup truck on a ramp. http://www.morelikehome.net/2012/10/day-27-build-simple-step-stool.html
This one except I extended the bottom step to be two 2x4 wide instead of one.

I'll post a picture or two when my ZR22W comes this week.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 17, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, yesterday I decided I needed a bigger desk since I ordered a ZR22W to use in portrait next to my 27 iMac.

I reused my Ikea Galant legs / frame, cut a piece of finished plywood to 60" x 30", sanded the edges, stained and sealed the top, cut a piece of oak as front trim, stained/sealed the trim, attached the trim with a nailgun, filled the gap between the plywood and trim with a mix of stain/sawdust/wood glue, and then screwed it onto the Ikea frame.

I think I spent $40 because I had the oak piece and stain laying around.

I also built a footrest out of one 2x4, some wood glue, and some screws - though to be fair I built it as a step stool to get a motorcycle in/out of a full size pickup truck on a ramp. http://www.morelikehome.net/2012/10/day-27-build-simple-step-stool.html
This one except I extended the bottom step to be two 2x4 wide instead of one.

I'll post a picture or two when my ZR22W comes this week.

Please do. Sounds like something I need to do.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How much weight can that hp zr22w support? I wonder if it can handle the 32" HP Envy. Hmmmm.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Coredump posted:

How much weight can that hp zr22w support? I wonder if it can handle the 32" HP Envy. Hmmmm.

It was incredibly stable with my qnix 2710 which was the main reason i got it. The factory stand was very wobbly.

burgergod
Dec 17, 2013
Full desk as requested.

system + external audio interface

headphone amp, usually i have several headphones connected to it

i love you all.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Made an adjustable height standing desk from sch 40 pipe and an Ikea desktop. Total cost was around $220. It is solid as gently caress.

Followed this guide which worked great. Learned a few lessons:

-Unsealed butcher block is a bit of work to maintain. I did a bunch of initial coats of oil on it, and it soaked it up like crazy, but it leeched onto paper left on the desk for a few weeks. You'd probably be better off with varnish -- or just one of the standard veneer desks.
-Visit your pipe vendor in person before ordering. Make sure the pipe is clean and the finish is in good shape. I had to replace one piece. I'm doing more of these desks and considering powder coating the pipe.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KS posted:

Made an adjustable height standing desk from sch 40 pipe and an Ikea desktop. Total cost was around $220. It is solid as gently caress.

-Unsealed butcher block is a bit of work to maintain. I did a bunch of initial coats of oil on it, and it soaked it up like crazy, but it leeched onto paper left on the desk for a few weeks. You'd probably be better off with varnish -- or just one of the standard veneer desks.
-Visit your pipe vendor in person before ordering. Make sure the pipe is clean and the finish is in good shape. I had to replace one piece. I'm doing more of these desks and considering powder coating the pipe.

Ikea does sell a sturdy leg you can use on their table tops to make a standing desk:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60261626/

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Not that it can't work but set screws like that might not be great at holding a vertical load like that.
Pretty nifty desk though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Maneki Neko posted:

Ikea does sell a sturdy leg you can use on their table tops to make a standing desk:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60261626/

The article KS linked does mention an $100 Ikea standing desk option, which is described as unstable when adjusted to mid-max height. Not sure if it's based on those legs but it'd be a similar price range.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Chakron posted:

Maybe a little late, but if you can reuse the legs from your Gladiator, you can get a 72" x 36" maple butcher block from Grizzly Industrial. They have them in all sorts of sizes and will be where I'll be ordering my new desk top from when I'm ready to rebuild it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Etrips posted:

Please do. Sounds like something I need to do.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

autojive posted:

Maybe a little late, but if you can reuse the legs from your Gladiator, you can get a 72" x 36" maple butcher block from Grizzly Industrial. They have them in all sorts of sizes and will be where I'll be ordering my new desk top from when I'm ready to rebuild it.

Thanks for that link. I decided to have a custom live edge wood desk made, I'm working with a local company on that. I'll post some pictures when it's finished but it'll be a while!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

isndl posted:

The article KS linked does mention an $100 Ikea standing desk option, which is described as unstable when adjusted to mid-max height. Not sure if it's based on those legs but it'd be a similar price range.

Yeah, I think that's an older leg? I've been using the ones I linked now for a while and it's stable at max height.

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts

Decided to get a G-sync monitor, not sure what I will do now without it. Thankfully freesync is available on far more monitors..

If the 390x looks as good as it does will have to jump ship!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

KS posted:

How do you adjust the height?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dev null posted:

How do you adjust the height?

I assume [s]he pops off the lower tubes that are threaded into the brace.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tell me more about that vertical monitor setup if you wouldn't mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Light Gun Man posted:

Tell me more about that vertical monitor setup if you wouldn't mind?

HP ZR22W in portrait mode at 1080x1920. It looks really dim next to the iMac since it puts out about half the light, but it's the right size. I don't know what a better option would be but it works for $80.